Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More uncommon items in your backpack. maxwell2287 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-31-2019 12:00 PM
Winter only Items in your pack? joshiedoom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 37 02-25-2019 10:16 PM
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Nitrogen Pack Rice and other items caleb.rumeida Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-21-2019 09:43 PM
Top 3 valuable pack items under 100 grams? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 10-15-2017 08:56 PM
WTT items wax/pack/club/optics Tundrascout Looking for - want to buy 2 03-22-2015 09:31 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
How many people pack their little items in... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-11-2010 09:33 PM
Split your back pack items. MT Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-21-2009 08:56 AM

Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 AM

Advertise Here

condome are a handy piece of kit,,as well as for the obvious they make great little water carriers,,tornaquets,and water proofing for bandaged fingers and toes etc.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 03:27 AM
V

Thanked 34,644 Times in 13,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh13 View Post
condome are a handy piece of kit,,as well as for the obvious they make great little water carriers,,tornaquets,and water proofing for bandaged fingers and toes etc.
A condom alone isnt much use as a water carrier you have to give it some support otherwise they're liable to split
Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 AM

i carry a ruger single six in my pack with 200 rounds firstaid kit antacids toilet paper mres
firestarters
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DETURRIS877 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,439 Times in 704 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosofcreation View Post
It's not unusual but something I don't see in many peoples BOBs is foot powder, one of your best friends to keep your sweaty dogs dry.
Just what I was going to say as well. I picked up several pots of military foot powder and tubes of bug cream the other day at a local market for a couple $$. The bug cream is probably not as good as newer stuff from the supermarket, but if you keep it out of your eyes it works a treat.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,439 Times in 704 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

A couple more things come to mind:

1. My old military sewing kit - supplemented by a couple of curved mattress needles. Great for fixing holes in anything - kit, people etc

2. A roll of self-vulcanising rubber electrical tape. Great for a 1000 things, like fixing blades to sticks, joining wires, binding stone ax and arrow heads, etc
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Herne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,646 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETURRIS877 View Post
i carry a ruger single six in my pack with 200 rounds firstaid kit antacids toilet paper mres
firestarters
What's uncommon about them?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2287 View Post
Super glue for those nasty little cuts in life, just incase you forgot you're sewing kit.
Dont know how many are aware of this but superglue was originally designed for the US military as an experimental skinbonder for use in Vietnam, The typical adhesive bandages used on minor cuts (bandaids) actually caused more infections than prevented due to the humid and hot conditions that turned the gauze into bacterial incubators. If you decide to carry it, make sure you use the hard containers ratherr than the foil tubes that rupture easily... dont want the bob's contents permanently bonded! ALso, once opened it will eventually solidify so carry 2 just in case.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Palladin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
Just what I was going to say as well. I picked up several pots of military foot powder and tubes of bug cream the other day at a local market for a couple $$. The bug cream is probably not as good as newer stuff from the supermarket, but if you keep it out of your eyes it works a treat.
FOOT POWDER Make sure it's antifungal! plain talc doesnt hack it...A good antifungal foot powder will also work for jungle (read that as crotch) rot and jock itch... you really dont know how or when you will be able to bathe and do laundry and when it comes to socks and skivvies you really can use all the help you can get.... If this line of info bothers some folks sensitivities I apologize, but if you havent had the misfortune of experiencing one of these maladies you just wouldn't understand...

Note: there is a new product on the market for chafing that works great but is NOT antifungal, it is a blend of talc and powdered calamine, Now this is not a joke, the name and product ARE REAL its called ANTI MONKEY BUTT POWDER. You can find it most places where horse supplies and saddlery are sold... it has a cartoon of a monkey with a big red butt on the label and it Does work.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Palladin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh13 View Post
Something that I havent seen mentioned is condoms to be used to keep debris out of the muzzle of a longarm: Shotgun or Rifle. They are safe to shoot through, keep moisture, dirt and other things out and are pretty much a one size item... Finger Cots can also be used but wont fit shotguns. You can purchase muzzle guards for rifles that have muzzle breaks or flash suppressors but they are hard plastic and tend to fall off, a condom or balloon or fingercot, if loose can be held on with a simple wire bread bag tie or similar.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Palladin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
FOOT POWDER Make sure it's antifungal! plain talc doesnt hack it...A good antifungal foot powder will also work for jungle (read that as crotch) rot and jock itch... you really dont know how or when you will be able to bathe and do laundry and when it comes to socks and skivvies you really can use all the help you can get
I was given mycota foot powder from the docs for crotch rot, its great stuff. Its actually an athletes foot powder and when you put it on the first time it stings like mad for 30 seconds but after thats it doesnt.

Last edited by polar_bear; 09-02-2008 at 03:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't Tread on Me

I keep at least one book in mine!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiesen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM

I keep a welder's flat multi wrench and torch striker in my kit. Wrench is similar to the old flat tools from model t's and used to open and close water and gas lines, emergency urban type things. Strker always lights and easier to strike when you have gloves on or your hands are numb and you're shivering.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmax001 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdahills View Post
take that passport out it has a chip to track you
The chips added to passports are passive RFID chips. They can't be used to track in fact being passive, they require a radio frequency power source to activate them...the maximum range at which a chip can be activated is about 10-15 feet (and that is with a booster that would probably cause some issues with other electronics in the area). The chips are basically passive data holders that broadcast a low power signal to within a few inches when activated. Even with highly directional extremely sensitive antennas and a good custom written signal refining algorithm on a relatively powerful computer, you would only be able to pull any real data out of the signal (which would just be your passport information) at a range of about 10 feet. These chips are on the other hand a concern from a privacy aspect considering that they contain a decent amount of unencrypted personal information about you and can be activated at close range to gather information for identity theft.

--Wintermute
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wintermute For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,646 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Dont know how many are aware of this but superglue was originally designed for the US military as an experimental skinbonder for use in Vietnam,
How did you get that info??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Tea tree oil...yup
Some antacids...yup
Some twist ties normally used on trash bags...multitude of uses!
and
Oh geeze...can't believe I am admitting this...
A nice, lightweight and rather sexy lingerie set...just in case...well...a girl has to have some pretty things...!
Thats just hot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lighthammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Trapper

I have a thumb drive with TONS of survival info/diagrams, music and a few skin pics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanklet0 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 AM

For Diabetics you can also carry a small tube of gel writing frosting. The liquid of the gel will slide down the throat of someone without them having to be concious to swallow.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NMsunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Carry two ponchos, duct tape, zippo lighter(no fluid) and cotton batting, epoxy putty
The Following User Says Thank You to Pathfinder85 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Shield Up Sword Drawn

Thanked 4,011 Times in 1,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder85 View Post
Carry two ponchos, duct tape, zippo lighter(no fluid) and cotton batting, epoxy putty
Why the zippo with no fluid?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrid-Der View Post
Why the zippo with no fluid?
Im guessing its because it evaporates quickly and any flammable liqiud can be used. From experience, zippo fuel, unleaded petrol, petrol with 2 stroke oil in and deoderant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polar_bear For This Useful Post: