Rhino Propane Tanks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 16 04-10-2019 09:31 AM
Blue Rhino propane tank Rip off beware before you exchange tanks. Rockyriver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 07-23-2018 07:08 PM
Big Propane Tanks Near House (BOL) Duelist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-21-2017 09:17 PM
propane tanks jack1 Urban Survival 21 04-29-2012 10:26 PM
questions about bbq propane tanks real wowwee Urban Survival 32 02-13-2012 05:59 PM
For those who wonder about how Blue Rhino propane tanks are tested and filled. Rockyriver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 10-13-2011 08:57 PM
Refilling propane tanks FarmerChad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 11-14-2010 08:39 PM
Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks... temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 11-11-2009 01:33 PM
Refilling 1 ib Propane Tanks greenbm Urban Survival 9 01-05-2009 04:42 PM
Propane tanks kev Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 27 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,811 Times in 463 Posts
Default Rhino Propane Tanks

Advertise Here

For those that store the 20# Refillable Propane Tanks, I do NOT reccommend getting them as the exchange tanks from Rhino or other brands found outside grocery stores and convenience stores.

The reason is, they do NOT fill the tank to the full limit, but rather ONLY fill them 1/2 to 3/4 full at best. They will run out of gas much quicker than they should have, usually right when your about 1/2 way done cooking your nice juicy steaks. :^(

You would be far better off going to a U-Haul that refills propane tanks and paying them to first PURGE your tank and then fill it because they WILL compleatly fill the tank nd often comes out cheaper than the exchange tanks anyway.

The ONLY time I use the exchange tanks is when I have on older propane tank that U-Haul will no longer fill. (although, once they know you as a "regular" customer, they might go ahead and fill an old tank... it's worth a try first)

We're up to 8 of the 20# Propane tanks now and all are full. On tank is still the old style with the "star" valve handle. It will get used up first and replaced with another exchange tank if U-Haul won't fill it.

BTW, ask U-Haul for the $1.00 Off your next refill sticker to put on all your tanks. If they just hand them to you, save them for the first tanks that need refilling because those stickers DO expire.

Save some money and do smarter prepping. Don't buy the exchenge tanks if you don't have to. I don't work for U-Haul. but I figure everyone hs one somewhere near them.

Medic73
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Prepared

I buy factor fresh tanks and have them filled. In my area it is always cheaper to have tanks filled than to go to the grocery store and swap them out. It costs $18.99 to swap a tank and that is the cheapest I can find. Last week I had 2-20# tanks filled and it cost ~$17 (~4 gallons LP/each - they weren't completely empty). So, I can fill two tanks for the cost of swapping 1.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Hunter

where i am at propane is 3.09 a gal and amerigas has the tanks at the stores and they want 21.99 exchanged or over 50.00 for a new tank out right , amerigas is a ripe off in my opinion !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 PM

I always put mine on a scale before filling or after.
Standard bbq tank is 18 lbs empty and 38 lbs full.
The Following User Says Thank You to dieseldude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM

If I find an old/rusty one at a yard sale or whatever, I trade it for a rhino but after that I fill it at Exxon station. $17 last time. Rhino even says it is only 15lbs? But it will hold more if you fill it elsewhere it is a standard tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to kdog1997 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog1997 View Post
If I find an old/rusty one at a yard sale or whatever, I trade it for a rhino but after that I fill it at Exxon station. $17 last time. Rhino even says it is only 15lbs? But it will hold more if you fill it elsewhere it is a standard tank.
Thats what i do. I exchange the beat up old trash pick tank for a tested, painted blue rhino tank and after that i have them filled at the farmers co-op for $11. And they fill them on a scale while you watch.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Christian

Thanked 50,614 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

The reason they don’t fill them to total capacity is because propane is pressurized and will expand and contract based on the ambient temperature of the air.

If you know your tank will be kept in a cool dry spot then it might be OK to overfill it, but me personally I wouldn’t recommend it.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Your move Sparky...

Thanked 14,836 Times in 4,955 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I can't count how many tanks have been purchased at yard sales for nickels on the dollar and exchanged at a rhino.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post: