Refilling propane tanks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster propane tanks and the propane tank graveyard. (Pictures) Rockyriver General Discussion 16 04-10-2019 09:31 AM
Big Propane Tanks Near House (BOL) Duelist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-21-2017 09:17 PM
20 Lb Portable Propane Tanks TXplowgirl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 07-23-2015 01:44 AM
small propane tanks fisherman50 Urban Survival 12 05-10-2012 08:15 AM
propane tanks jack1 Urban Survival 21 04-29-2012 10:26 PM
questions about bbq propane tanks real wowwee Urban Survival 32 02-13-2012 05:59 PM
Rhino Propane Tanks Medic73 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-30-2011 12:23 AM
Fill Your OWN Propane Tanks... temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 11-11-2009 01:33 PM
Refilling 1 ib Propane Tanks greenbm Urban Survival 9 01-05-2009 04:42 PM
Propane tanks kev Survival Discussion, Articles, Reviews and Videos 27 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

Old 11-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,436 Times in 2,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Refilling propane tanks

Advertise Here

Last night I purchase a "Mr. Heater/Portable ToughBuddy Heater". These can be found at Lowes and Walmart, etc. They run on propane and after initial testing, this heater does put out a decent amount of heat. I bought one mainly for the purpose of backup emergency heat. I have a gas furnace, but having an electric blower sure wont help with the electric out. Also, seems like something goes wrong every year with the furnace. I have tought myself basic repairs of the unit... but.. it always seems to break on a weekend and no one is open for repair parts. So a backup is smart plan.

Anyways, I was looking on line and I found a "mac coupler" that allows you to refill the 1 lb propane bottles off your 20 lb tanks. Just curious if anyone here does that? Or should I just get the hose extension and run it from the 20 lb tank to start with? Guess I could do both! I like the idea of the 1 lb bottles because I can take the heater to where it needs to be in the house or out into the work shop where no heat exists.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,443 Posts

I have no personal experience but from what I hear the adapters to refill your own 1lb tanks work pretty well. Supposedly if you put the 1lb canisters in the freezer for an hour or so first it helps alot (colder temp on the small tank creates a vacuum, so it gets more full)
Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Trapper

I've used the fill adapter. The 1lb bottles aren't meant for refilling, and I've noticed that they tend to leak when refilled many times. Keep an eye on that. If you get one that leaks, hook it up to something so the propane isn't wasted, and don't refill it again. The freezer trick Mortimer mentioned does seem to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Christian

Thanked 50,614 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

when you refill a propane tank you are literally "pouring" liquid propane from one tank to another, the air displaces and the liquid runs down into the empty tank.

The reason it helps to transfer into a cool tank is that the propane does not expand (it expands with the heat) and you can get more into the empty tank.

Just remember don't overfill the tank or on the off chance that the tank gets too warm you are going to bust the safety seal then you will loose your propane.

BTW I have a Big Buddy heater, and the 20 lb tank adapter is the way I go. save your 1 pounders if you have to bug out and travel light.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Road Trip!!!

I have Mr Heater and refill the 1lb tanks. I don't think I would use a 20 lb indoors.

BIH
Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,178 Posts

havign 1lb or 20 lbs inside a house is just as dangerous....... do not refill... buy the adapter hose
The Following User Says Thank You to ackbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,521 Times in 761 Posts

Bought one at a yard sale (Mr Heater) a couple of years ago. I use it in the garage when Im working out there but wouldnt have an issue with bringing it in the house.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
human

Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,090 Posts

I'd suggest having a carbon monoxide detector IN operation! (don't forget back up 9v batteries)

I suppose if you are in a small well insulated room a 1 lb tank is fine, but be ready to fill it often.

I have a Mr. Heater and when both burners are running it can go through a 20 lb tank in a day.
Be sure your room has a window that can be cracked open.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Target Shooter

We have holes in the door (with plugs) to run wires or gas hoses.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Christian

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandhikers View Post
I have Mr Heater and refill the 1lb tanks. I don't think I would use a 20 lb indoors.

BIH
why not? something we should know here?

Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Christian

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Big Buddy has an O2 depletion sensor that cuts it off if things go weird. But I have CO2 detectors installed JIC.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackbob View Post
havign 1lb or 20 lbs inside a house is just as dangerous....... do not refill... buy the adapter hose

No...having 1 lb indoors is much safer than a 20lb. This heater is rated for indoor use with the 1lb. not the 20lb.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Target Shooter

It works fine "reloading" the 1 lb tanks from a twenty lb tank. You wont be able to fill the 1 lb tank but about half full though. When the pressure in both tanks equalize the transfer stops.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 9,129 Times in 2,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
Last night I purchase a "Mr. Heater/Portable ToughBuddy Heater"...
Any thoughts?
The 1LB containers are expensive to use.

I have used the 20G adapter and a smaller 1GAL tank... I borrowed the tank. It is time that I go ahead and purchase my own.

Lugging around the larger BBQ sized propane tank indoors is a PITA, and is a bit of a hazard due to the large quantity of fuel.

Here is a link to the tank ( I think ... the image is incomplete but the description is correct).
Worthington Cylinders Propane Tank

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,436 Times in 2,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

I appreciate everyones input on this matter. My research has shown the same about refilling the tanks. Just wanted "practical advice" I think the reason why "they" don't want you to use the 20 pounder in the house is because according to some, it "could" level your house. Or at least turn it back into sticks.

I think the ideal situation would to be to use a 100 pound tank, stored outdoors, with the extension hose. Well... several extension hoses

Then again, they dont say anything about the 100 pound tank.. anyone here use one? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Road Trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
I appreciate everyones input on this matter. My research has shown the same about refilling the tanks. Just wanted "practical advice" I think the reason why "they" don't want you to use the 20 pounder in the house is because according to some, it "could" level your house. Or at least turn it back into sticks.

I think the ideal situation would to be to use a 100 pound tank, stored outdoors, with the extension hose. Well... several extension hoses

Then again, they dont say anything about the 100 pound tank.. anyone here use one? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

I have been wondering kinda the same thing. We heat with propane and have about 400 gallons outside. Would be nice if I could tap into that somehow.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM
traveler

yes, i got one from northern tool and it works out fine. i have a couple of lanterns and a stove or two that use the small bottles. ideal for now, as we camp a lot at our bol. long term, not sure of the value but for now i love the mac coupler.