Are Multi tools worth the money? - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 99 08-11-2019 10:58 AM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 26 11-07-2018 12:50 PM
Best place to buy land, for me and my wife? (please read - not typical question) RomaniGypsy Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 129 02-06-2018 09:51 AM
most money saving skills to add sonya1 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 47 12-16-2016 12:12 PM
Is there anything worth the money besides the triji RMR? loki81 Firearms General Discussion 6 12-11-2016 11:13 PM

Old 04-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

yup I will testify there are some real cheap and nasty clones however buy what you can afford..

swiss armies are great when you can get them however finding something good in them may not happen variety of cheap and some expensive knockoff's that exist today.. it is hard to tell what is a knock off and what official in the swiss armies..

don't get me wrong i love multi tools though nothing beats having proper tools on hand..

also means you do bigger and better jobs..
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,313 Times in 19,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWalter View Post
Hi all!
Question...admitedly, I've got a severe dis-trust/taste for tools sold in infomercials. I remember the Rockwell Sonicrafter commercials...So for years I've looked the other way and passed the whole oscillating multi-tool thing off as a gimmick tool. Fast-foward to today...DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, HF, etc... they all have a version of the tool available. I have a giftcard at Amazon and the M12 Oscillating tool caught my eye but deep in the pit of my stomach I sit here wondering if they actually work as advertised? According to the informercial you can cut anything from monofilament fishing line to Cummins Engine Blocks with no effort. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

So anyone have any experience with these tool
For something like that you want a Dremel.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Hunter

to each their own in what to do, however in a pinch things like the leatherman is a good idea though nothing will replace the proper tools though you can decide what to have for long term use..
Old 04-29-2018, 04:31 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,131 Times in 20,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWalter View Post
Hi all!
Question...admitedly, I've got a severe dis-trust/taste for tools sold in infomercials. I remember the Rockwell Sonicrafter commercials...So for years I've looked the other way and passed the whole oscillating multi-tool thing off as a gimmick tool. Fast-foward to today...DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, HF, etc... they all have a version of the tool available. I have a giftcard at Amazon and the M12 Oscillating tool caught my eye but deep in the pit of my stomach I sit here wondering if they actually work as advertised? According to the informercial you can cut anything from monofilament fishing line to Cummins Engine Blocks with no effort. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

So anyone have any experience with these tool
If you are talking about the Fein oscillating tool, yes, I have been using a cheap knockoff version from Harbor Freight that was like $35 or so.
So far I have only used the oscillating saw a few times, but it is pretty amazing when nothing else will make the cut. Plunge cut right straight through with no clearance or pilot hole. The other attachments probably are good also. I bought a cordless version from Sears also, but have never used it. The corded Harbor Freight has a freakin beast motor on it.

My only complaint is the tool retention thing needs retightened a lot. A little loctite might fix the problem.
Like I said, I used it 3 times and it was a quick job each time. I just looked up the M12 version and it is only $69

I wouldn't hesitate if you think you may need it. it changes mission impossible to a 60 second job. (10 of which is retightening the thing.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Hunter

to each their own in what to do, however in a pinch things like the leatherman is a good idea though nothing will replace the proper tools though you can decide what to have for long term use..
Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,260 Times in 3,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
Multi-tools have their place.

I carry a leatherman wingman with me everyday in a buck leather pouch, and keep that on my belt next to a classic buck knife 110 folder, also in a leather pouch.

I use the LM wingman constantly, and for many different practical needs.

The Leatherman multi-tool line are good quality tools, with a good design, perfect sizes and most are light weight.....VERSUS .... the cheaper lower tier lines of multi-tools, that don't last as well. Those cheaper lines fold and unfold poorly, have tools that chip and break, flex, rust, and tend to be bulky and heavy.

That being said, for those that are not familiar with the Leatherman line, there are a number of different multi tool models, with different combinations found in each model and tool line.

There are some other brands that are also very good.

A multi-tool = of SOME KIND should be in everyone's bug out bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHCraigT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCraigT View Post
The Leatherman multi-tool line are good quality tools, with a good design, perfect sizes and most are light weight.....VERSUS .... the cheaper lower tier lines of multi-tools, that don't last as well. Those cheaper lines fold and unfold poorly, have tools that chip and break, flex, rust, and tend to be bulky and heavy.
Actually, I think of the Leatherman like you do the other cheap crap.

Leatherman is consumer grade, imo, not professional grade.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,578 Times in 7,125 Posts

Come on now...is there REALLY a "professional grade" multi tool out there?

Really?

I can't fathom the way people think sometimes.

The multi tool is like a gun....having a crappy one on your person, that functions well enough when you need it, beats NOT having the nice expensive one you didn't bring, no matter how much better that gun may have been.

Of course there are "better" tools for anything you might use a multi tool for.

But I have the multi tool on my hip, ready to go. I don't have to go fetch anything, I don't have to climb down off the ladder, or climb out from under the house, or strap on my tool belt and wear it all day, just in case.

If I can do the job with my multi tool, I do it, and I'm done. If I can't, THEN I go find the "better" or proper tool, no harm done.

I would NEVER spend a pile of money on a multi tool...they aren't that specialized, nor are they supposed to be. Besides, I have 8 or 9 of them; they are in every tool box, every glove box, the range bag, the trailer, the motorcycle, or on my hip...if I am more than 50 feet from a multi tool, someone has stolen mine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Come on now...is there REALLY a "professional grade" multi tool out there?

Really?
I guess you didn't know people who went to the "Sandbox." The Iraqi and Afghan desert is littered with Leathermans that broke their pliers end or were just too weak.

Then SOG decided to ship pallets for theirs for free there and most came home with the boys as treasured friends.

Their geared cam action pliers are a hell of a lot stronger in their grip.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools.html

Leathermans break and suck. SOG doesn't.

Plus you can easily swap out useless handle tools on your SOG for different ones.

And if you don't think that something that can survive a few years of war with a 19 year old grunt isn't a pro tool then nothing will satisfy you. A 19 year old grunt can break almost anything.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,287 Times in 3,784 Posts

I bought my first multi-tool (an original Leatherman PST) in 1983. It replaced my well used NATO Swiss Army Knife for "EDC". I still have that PST (and its original leather pouch). I carried that one around the world for decades. EDC for infantry work, routine chores, and outdoor recreation.

I accumulated other Leathermans, Gerbers, & SOGs during the '90s and '00s. Every pre-deployment RFI, supply room, or unit issue facility handed me another free one with boring regularity. They mostly got tossed into drawers, footlockers, or Tuff-Boxes. Or into my vehicle tool boxes.

I've still got several of those. And I rarely use any of them for a damn thing, much less carry one on my body. I keep them stowed away in car kits, weapon maintenance kits, range kits, load bearing gear, work benches, ski maintenance kits, glove compartments, tool boxes, and several different backpacks. But I can't remember the last time I actually needed one. It seems like I always have better full sized tools available for the job at hand. Or something small on my key ring.

I just sort of outgrew the habit of daily carry of a multi-tool. Possibly because of all the other EDC stuff I'm already loaded down with (CCW, reloads, knife, phone, wallet, tactical light, vehicle keys, mini-trauma kit, etc.) I'm rarely very far away from a more serious set of hand tools unless out hiking/skiing.

In answer to the OP's question... I do feel the same way. They're worth the money and everyone should probably own a decent one. They are brilliant little widgets and handy, but...

These days, I rarely find myself needing one. They tend to reside off-body rather than on my person. I don't routinely carry one around any more. To me, they're more like a backup for that rare occasion when I don't have something better/bigger/sturdier at hand.

I've never managed to break a Leatherman (or a Gerber or SOG multi-tool for that matter). But I'm careful with my sharps and tools. Right tool for the right job. I learned that lesson as a 19 year old PFC, when I dinged my brand new Randall... throwing it at trees. And snapped off an Air Force Survival Knife's tang at the hilt while using it as a prybar on crew served ammo crates. Haven't broken a blade since.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,404 Times in 603 Posts

I have a SOG multi tool. I started carrying it a few months ago. I bought a cheaper one because I wasn’t sure if I’d use it. I may buy a gerber to replace it as they have one with longer screw drivers and better pliars.

I use mine most days.

I use the pliars a lot. I also use the file ( I’m a locksmith ) a bit. I have many files that are better , but find for most tasks the one on my hip is fine. I also use the screw drivers a fair amount and use the little pry bar all the time.

I would add more SMALL screw drivers if I could maybe a tiny glasses size Philipe it has that size flat. I’d also add a magnifying glass. Some Swiss Army knives have one. Why no multi tools. They are so handy when doing small work or starting a fire.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
I have a SOG multi tool. I started carrying it a few months ago. I bought a cheaper one because I wasn’t sure if I’d use it. I may buy a gerber to replace it as they have one with longer screw drivers and better pliars.

I use mine most days.

I use the pliars a lot. I also use the file ( I’m a locksmith ) a bit. I have many files that are better , but find for most tasks the one on my hip is fine. I also use the screw drivers a fair amount and use the little pry bar all the time.

I would add more SMALL screw drivers if I could maybe a tiny glasses size Philipe it has that size flat. I’d also add a magnifying glass. Some Swiss Army knives have one. Why no multi tools. They are so handy when doing small work or starting a fire.
Go to the SOG site. You can swap handle tools. Dump the ones you never use. Add one that are more like to be used. Maybe add a redundant one for one you use constantly. Look in their accessory section on their site for replacement handle tools and check their instructions on tool swapping.

Your need for tiny screwdriver heads is covered by their hex bit set. Though it does require your particular pliers to be able to take those 1/4 bits. Not all SOG's do. On the other hand if you have a pouch instead of a belt clip for your pliers then dropping a couple hex bits in the bottom of your pouch works too. No need to buy their bit set. The adaptability of SOG is half the reason users like them. The other being the badassery of those tough pliers on them.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:51 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,379 Times in 4,317 Posts

So for someone who knows nothing about SOGs, what model what be the best equivalent to a Leatherman Wave?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:54 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
So for someone who knows nothing about SOGs, what model what be the best equivalent to a Leatherman Wave?
The standard Powerlock and the Wave have always been primary competitors.

But the features differ between the two and always have.

But I think if you like the feature on the Wave better then consider the new PowerAccess Deluxe model.

MSRP is about the same between the Wave+ and the PA Deluxe.

But I suggest visiting a West Marine or Academy store instead. SOG has a number of models in their full size $80-120 range with quite varied tools. Get your paws on them first and then decide which mix of tools you will find more useful to your most frequent uses. I mean like their legendary Power Lock EOD is a hell of a tool, but do you really need blasting cap crimpers?

Just always be sure to check out the pliers on all SOG models. That's where they truly shine, with the gear leverage.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Nail Bender

I've carried a Leatherman Wave daily for 5 years now.
I'm in residential construction, tools are my life blood, I have a truck box full of far better tools, but...

It saves me time quite often, seeing it's right there on my hip.
If the task is to much for the little tool I'll go get what I need.
But maybe not having to come down the ladder, scaffolding, elevator, run out to the truck, dig thru a tool box/bag is invaluable.
If I'm on a set task the requires said tools, I have those tools at hand to do the job, but when I run into something unexpected or in passing the Wave is right there to at least give it a shot, but I don't push it past it's ability's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic Wrench For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,379 Times in 4,317 Posts

Quote:
West Marine or Academy store instead.
I've only ever heard of those stores online...none in my area. This must be Leartherman country as that is usually all I see on display at stores and what my friends all carry.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I've only ever heard of those stores online...none in my area. This must be Leartherman country as that is usually all I see on display at stores and what my friends all carry.
West Marine is in most states, but typically just a few locations in high population areas.

Academy is a somewhat regional enterprise but is growing. Compared to the massive Bass Pro, Cabellas, and Dicks, they are smaller. About the size of a big chain grocery store. Pricing is a lot better with quite a few private label lines. They are an older company and far more stable than those humongous sports stores. If you live in a lower population area then they are more apt to get closer to your area eventually.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the lack of retail access to touch before you buy. If you manage to find them then definitely try. But I can assure you that they don't disappoint. The primary tool on main type multitools is the pliers and that is where the SOG truly shines. If your goal isn't a good pair of pliers then you might as well just buy a trusty SwissArmy knife with the features you want. Leatherman pliers aren't as good as SOG's pliers and the rest on either are small tools that are basically SwissArmy tools. In that respect, SOG has a tool swapping option to help personalize your tool to your particular needs.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:52 PM

I have a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit that I carry pretty much everyday and would be lost without it. Its passed every test I've thrown at it. All the implements open from the outside which makes deployment quick and easy. Everything is of ample length as well so I don't need to go and hunt for a bit driver to have a usable phillips or straight head implement. Pliers are pretty good. Nothing negative to say about them. A lot of tools in a small package that is built like a tank. My one and only complaint is that they don't have a pocket clip.

I have a SOG MT but the compound leverage in the pliers, while nice, makes the handles have to spread much wider to grip similar sized objects relative to a multi-tool that doesn't have the feature. I have short fingers (by guy standards) and can't even grip a 3/8" (generally 9/16" hex) nut without using both hands. My Spirit allows me to do the same task with one hand. It stays in the glovebox for the most part.

Leathermans are ok, but most of the implements that I use most are inboard which makes extra steps to deploy them. I carry a Skeletool sometimes because of the lanyard feature, but find it annoying to use as well due to lack of forethought in the bit selection (double phillips on one bit instead of a Phillips/straight). The Crunch is a keeper though. Have one and use it quite a bit. I'd love to see Leatherman make a larger/updated version of it.

Have a couple of Gerbers as well (MP400 and Centerdrive). Nice tools, but the one-handed open feature takes a lot of space away from the implements. Plus, I still find myself using two hands anyways to open them. The "flick" action doesn't seem to work most of the time for me. Keep them in a BOB or glove box as well.

Are they worth the money? For me and what I do, ABSOLUTELY. Mine has paid for itself many times over in saved steps and getting something done on time. But, to each his own.