Homemade MREs for diabetics?? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attn: Diabetics willow Health, Fitness and First Aid 11 06-01-2017 12:20 AM
Homemade MRES - Dehydrated from scratch Chris22 Food and water 2 04-23-2015 12:36 PM
diabetics jakkkke Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-06-2014 06:40 PM
mres vs. can food vs. homemade mres. coldworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 04-17-2012 04:40 PM
Homemade MREs - no water needed noob DIY - Do It Yourself 85 04-16-2012 09:20 PM
Diabetics? rgswaim Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 02-23-2012 11:48 AM
DSMARTs Homemade MREs Mr. Beef DIY - Do It Yourself 10 10-17-2011 11:53 PM
For diabetics. mangyhyena Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 01-09-2010 03:33 PM
My Homemade MRES matthew Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 10-10-2008 04:22 PM
Diabetics? Help for my brother..... Survival Helper Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 12-11-2007 02:39 PM

Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM

Default Homemade MREs for diabetics??

Advertise Here

Been working to make my own MREs for my BOB and pantry and my biggest struggle is finding food with low enough carbs and sugars to support my pre-diabetes but with enough carbs and protein to be supportive in a SHTF situation. My doc told me to cut carbs and sugar and eat more meat and veggies, but finding those options that are good for long term storage (and aren't high is sugar and carbs) is difficult. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kristenvalens For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Master Rationalizer

Thanked 4,436 Times in 1,252 Posts

I suppose it's going to depend a bit on how you are planning to prepare them (canning, mylar bags, dehydrating, etc)... But the foods themselves aren't so difficult to find. A buddy of mine is type-1. He eats over pretty regularly and uses a LOT less insulin here than anywhere else. I cook a lot of pork, chicken, or fish, and accompany with root veg like beets, turnips, carrots, etc. Celery, onion, and other stalk, bulb, or root veg change things up. There are a ton of ingredients to play with, then you just need to figure out the best method for storing each "dish". For MRE-style to go in my pack, I tend to lean towards things I can dehydrate and mylar seal. It keeps things light and less risk of mess. For home, pressure canning usually wins out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CORangefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 153,109 Times in 44,586 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Kristen, Welcome to the site! I moved your thread over to the food and water section. You're likely to get more answers here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 AM
Hunter

Soups and stews are the only thing I would suggest...

I think you have other problems being diabetic..
You need to consider cold storage solutions especially if on drugs that require refrigeration and be in a cold storage solution...

From 1 diabetic to another you are going to have bigger issues past 6 months due to the drug issues you have as that is the likely the limit you with all oral meds you are on.

Even less with the injectable kind.

You may need to look 3 way fridges 12/24/120/240 and gas
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,413 Times in 547 Posts

What I do (type 1 diabetic in my house ) is dehydrate my own veggies and make meals in a jar with those and freeze dried meat. There are lots of recipes for meals in a jar, just do a quick Internet search. You can use those as a base and then adjust the ingredients (less rice or pasta, more veg, meats) to fit your needs. Then seal them in Mylar.

For short term / get home sistuations we just bought every day MRE's. He can adjust his insulin for short term. Once we are where we are going to be we have the food for him long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogmom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM

I'm not diabetic yet, just pre-diabetic but trying to plan ahead and hoping to reverse the problem. I don't take any medications for it, just have a meter to test my blood sugar. I'm still at the point that I can reverse my diabetes by eating less carbs and sugar, but that's why MRE planning is difficult when those items are so much easier to store. I like the idea about meals in a jar and will have to see what I can find there.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Hunter

Downside for a long term solution you are going to be limited on whey you can do as a long term whilst oral meds may have a long term shelf life the injectables will require a long term cold storage solution .

Whilst you can freeze dry your food realistically 4+ litre ice cream container will you either feed yourself for 4 meals or 2 people 2 meals or afamily of 4 1 meal

As for this method you can get up to 24 months with beef, mutton and pork, with fish and poultry no more than 6 months..

You will need to check what the longevity of game meat is once cooked and frozen

Though a routine cook up could see you. With plenty of food for min/max of 3-5 years.

Realistically whilst mre's might have a long shelf life I don't think you will see a situation of 15-25 years without food and water...

Sad to say you need to plan ahead because the 1st thing to go is you medications..

You'll need to be able to survive without them when the time comes.. as the diabetes drugs have a short shelf life and if you are insulin dependant you will be in a problem state once you look past 6-12 months of shelf life especially if you are looking governmental controls past a year..
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 60,323 Times in 20,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
Downside for a long term solution you are going to be limited on whey you can do as a long term whilst oral meds may have a long term shelf life the injectables will require a long term cold storage solution .
Only the fancy new ones require a fridge. Old school insulin isn't refrigerated. It doesn't even need a prescription.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenvalens View Post
Been working to make my own MREs for my BOB and pantry and my biggest struggle is finding food with low enough carbs and sugars to support my pre-diabetes but with enough carbs and protein to be supportive in a SHTF situation. My doc told me to cut carbs and sugar and eat more meat and veggies, but finding those options that are good for long term storage (and aren't high is sugar and carbs) is difficult. Any ideas?
Pemmican is what you want.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Analytical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenvalens View Post
The human nutrition requirement for dietary carbohydrates is ZERO. It takes a few weeks to wean off of carbohydrates, but you will find there are no limitations after you adapt. Both of my brothers were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in their 30's. I started a low glycemic diet in my late 20's. It helped to alleviate some problems I was having. However, it stopped working after about ten years. I now consume a very low carb and high fat diet with excellent results. For interest, I suggest you research pemmican (I acknowledge the previous post).
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Hunter

Yep they do recommend not to refrigerate whilst using insulin now though you still need to keep it in the fridge...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Yep they do recommend not to refrigerate whilst using insulin now though you still need to keep it in the fridge...
Any drug that does not specify refrigeration is designed to be stored at room temp.

Putting any med that doesn't say to refrigerate into the fridge is not helped by it, or maybe even hurt by it.

Don't try to be clever and think you can extend the shelf life of room temp meds in the fridge.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:15 AM
Hunter

I'm in Australia and co's who produce insulin here state to refrigerate, though the medical frat suggest to keep it at room temp because we absorb it quicker that way..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
I'm in Australia and co's who produce insulin here state to refrigerate, though the medical frat suggest to keep it at room temp because we absorb it quicker that way..
I've worked in pharmacies for 30 years.

Only the analogs require refrigeration.

Regular and NPH human insulin are made and store best at 15 to 24 Centigrade. Colder temps do it no favors.

You may have different brand names but you have the exact same types of insulin we do, as does everywhere else using 1st World meds.

Unless the packaging states to refrigerate then never do it.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:42 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 27,275 Times in 7,687 Posts

Since PEMMICAN was mentioned.

FYI, the RIGHT way to make Pemmican.

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf
Old 05-20-2017, 05:19 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,473 Times in 3,611 Posts

Simple solution
Since it sounds like your doctor has you on a low carb diet and you are accustomed to this new eating lifestyle....this is real simple.
Build your own MRE with the stuff you eat everyday now
1. Individual pack of slice SPAM
2. Individual pack of tuna
3. Individual pack of chicken chunks
4. Freeze dry your own veggies that you like to eat now
5. Buy some of those individual packs of almonds and peanuts
6. Freeze dry some bacon. We all love bacon.
7. Toss in a couple of those flavored mixes for sprucing up the taste of water.
Etc....etc...

I live a low carb lifestyle... one in which I limit my carbs to max 25g per day. I am not diabetic....nor do I have a weight problem. I choose this as a lifestyle. It is hard for some people to life with. I'm guessing you are new to this new eating style?

Also make up some daily vitamin packs.... and rotate them as vitamins do loose their efficiency with time. Keep them fresh.

Any questions about low carb.... ask me. I have a lot of real experience with this lifestyle
Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,873 Posts

I agree with several posters above that I really don't see the problem here. You can buy canned plain meats and fish, you can buy freeze-dried plain meats and fish, and the same goes for all kinds of vegetables (and fruits). So you just stock up on ready-to-eat ingredients that match your current menu plans and put them together when you need a meal out of your food storage.

The only problem with following your diet is if you want to open cans/packages of prepared ready-to-eat meals without getting a carb/sugar (and salt) overdose as part of the deal. Starch and sugar are cheap, and ready-to-eat convenience foods are therefore loaded with them as fillers, both the conventional convenience foods from the supermarket and the longterm storage ready-to-eat meal packages.

The only way to avoid a lot of junk in your food is to master the minimal kitchen skills necessary for preparing your own. The difference being diabetic/prediabetic makes is just that you no longer have a choice about doing that.

Working with ingredients rather than ready-to-eat meals also means you can easily adjust your protein and carbohydrate intake to match what your body requires under different conditions.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,447 Times in 5,607 Posts

Meats and vegetables aren't very hard to find, but the freeze dried ones are expensive. Most kinds of vegetables are OK just dehydrated. I will put a bunch of links so you can see what's out there. Shop and compare.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Freeze-Dried-Meats

http://shop.honeyville.com/products/...ied-meats.html

https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/cate...and-meats.html

https://www.readymaderesources.com/p...ed-meats-misc/

https://www.lehmans.com/category/Freeze_Dried

and just for fun...

http://www.wisefoodstorage.com/60-se...at-supply.html
Old 05-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,873 Posts

Commercial freeze-dried meats are expensive, plus the ones commonly available are precooked with virtually all of the fat and much of the juices, i.e. most of the flavor, removed. Freeze-dried uncooked meats are currently available from only a few sources and therefore even more expensive.

Canned cooked meats, OTOH, have a good flavor with all of the broth and somewhat more of the fat left in. They are still relatively expensive compared to fresh meat. If your budget is the problem, then buying your own meats on sale and canning them yourself is the solution. Dehydrated vegetables are more economical and just as tasty when used in long-cooking soups, stews, and crock-pot-type dishes. Freeze-dried have a better taste and sensory quality when eaten as quick-cooked side dishes. The exceptions are a few root veggies with a naturally compact texture that need a bit of cooking anyway and dehydrate very well, such as potatoes, carrots, beets, etc. You will rarely see any of those freeze-dried for just that reason.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:21 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,473 Times in 3,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Commercial freeze-dried meats are expensive, plus the ones commonly available are precooked with virtually all of the fat and much of the juices, i.e. most of the flavor, removed. Freeze-dried uncooked meats are currently available from only a few sources and therefore even more expensive.

Canned cooked meats, OTOH, have a good flavor with all of the broth and somewhat more of the fat left in. They are still relatively expensive compared to fresh meat. If your budget is the problem, then buying your own meats on sale and canning them yourself is the solution. Dehydrated vegetables are more economical and just as tasty when used in long-cooking soups, stews, and crock-pot-type dishes. Freeze-dried have a better taste and sensory quality when eaten as quick-cooked side dishes. The exceptions are a few root veggies with a naturally compact texture that need a bit of cooking anyway and dehydrate very well, such as potatoes, carrots, beets, etc. You will rarely see any of those freeze-dried for just that reason.
Potato...carrots...beets.... they taste good but not good for someone on a low carb lifestyle. Too high in carbs.