Return to Paradise - Homestead and PNW Adventure! - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survivalist Paradise DangerKrue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 11-11-2016 09:21 PM
Liberals Paradise sheandi6 General Discussion 11 07-31-2015 10:37 AM
Cheesburger In Paradise!!!!!!!!!!! Jungleboy Jokes, Humor & Music 2 03-02-2013 07:03 AM
Trouble in Paradise Gobigorange Books, Movies & Stories 3 12-17-2012 08:09 AM
August 18 - just another day in paradise Category5 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 08-18-2011 06:29 PM
To return or not return. That is the question- MSR Miniworks survivalworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 03-17-2011 08:16 PM
My Surburbian Homestead in Paradise Ladysurvivalist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 10-23-2010 12:44 PM
Hello from Paradise Sasquatch New Member Introduction 9 07-30-2008 01:33 AM

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Banned From Books

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 14,445 Times in 3,520 Posts

Advertise Here

That would be good, i might learn a few things from your wonder cabin project too.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 PM
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
It's in the PNW region, for Opsec reasons I must be vague.

The Acreage All-Forest is enough for a family to thrive and survive.
Based on your photos, it looks a lot like north Idaho. Did I get it right? If so, do I get a prize?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Banned From Books

Well it's in the PNW so you get the galloping horse bobblehead at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,100 Times in 443 Posts

Congrats on the land. Can't wait to see the buildout.
The Following User Says Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Target Shooter

I'm interested in how plans went from the mountain hideaway to that and something in Montana at a lower elevation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarkus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,129 Times in 695 Posts

I'm imagining that now that WR has mentored under Yoda, I mean MMM, it's time for him to put his knowledge to use on his own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned From Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
I'm interested in how plans went from the mountain hideaway to that and something in Montana at a lower elevation.
I am a roving horse!

Seriously though, the winter retreat is ideal for the PNW area. I may have a ladyhawk contact too, but this is another story!

Last edited by Watch Ryder; 07-24-2015 at 11:28 PM..
Old 07-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned From Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
I'm imagining that now that WR has mentored under Yoda, I mean MMM, it's time for him to put his knowledge to use on his own.
LOL! You buzzed me up with that comment. I guess you could call it that, but I'd use the Count of Monte Cristo allegory as a more suitable term.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Banned From Books

Well, I am back at the Mountain Hold!

The tent I left up is still intact, kinda busy as it's 4th July weekend too. One of the neighbors that used to always stop and talk just drove on by. I'm not that surprised as he doesn't really like mountain gates and stockpiles.

No MMM nor MntAirKing so the WR is here as the lone warrior again.

Work on the Ram Pump Project continues. I got soaked trying to install the thing and have some more mods to do. The short and bottom of it is that the online video guides aren't very clear, not in the case of elevated mountain springs like at the Mountain Hold.

Basically I got the water firing out of the Ram Pump like a firehose! We are talking 10 gallons per minute +++.
The only trouble was that the air-chamber MUST be glued. It can't just be capped off. I found out the hard way when the thing popped off and I got soaked.

You also have to have both 1/4 turn valve on both sides too to try and get the hammer-effect to happen. I'm at the library in the nearest settlement, after I get the Ram Pump functioning I'll look into doing some scout-recon of the area.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Banned From Books

Before i head into the wilderness again the White Baron has a little treat for you...

I managed to get this video not only shot in ultra HD BUT in 60 FPS that Youtube accepted (finally). So enjoy the crystal-clear clarity and quality.

The Adventure Continues...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,565 Times in 5,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
..Basically I got the water firing out of the Ram Pump like a firehose! We are talking 10 gallons per minute +++.
The only trouble was that the air-chamber MUST be glued. It can't just be capped off. I found out the hard way when the thing popped off and I got soaked....
Any video of the ramp pump in operation? I told you that thing should be glued, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Banned From Books

Next week hopefully before the Northern Crusade begins I'll get some video of the RAM Pump. It'll probably explode when I try running it this time with all the other glue and pressure build ups! LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Banned From Books

More bad news came when I checked the height measurements for the tree I’d be using for a sky wire. The ladder I’d acquired last year wouldn’t get me the height I’d need for the cabin project. Essentially that puts the Ryder’s Redoubt Project on hold for a while. I did reinforce that latter with battoning on both sides so the thing won't snap apart when I'm up at height. The rungs are a bit worn though.

Just look at the water run-off / snow melt effects on the land here!

After a weather check I see more grim news. The Mountain Hold and area is going to be deluged for 5 days. This will mean mosquito heaven for the next 10 days. Movement is tricky during such conditions too. It was time to redeploy to the south and get the trailer completed at the Greeley Grotto.

The next morning I make a quick update to MMM and make a hasty bug-out to the White Wolf with all my gear. It was just starting to rain too but with a poncho thrown on I get the tent down, the shed locked-down and I’m out the gates by 0830hrs.

I outran the storm but by the time I make the Colorado city the rain soon caught up! There was enough time to dry out the tent and hang some gear to dry before the weather front descended.

Now it’s just time to work on that trailer at the Greeley Grotto.

The next day it was gloomy clouds and cooler temperatures. Making the most of it I got to work on the trailer. After sourcing all the parts and bits that had been tidied away I soon had the wheel shields,

This wasn’t difficult but then the rain descended and with Mike’s help it was moved under the shelter of the Greeley Grotto.

The next stage was securing the leaf-springs to the trailer. The guide was vague but I got the right stuff in the slots!

Once this was done it was time for the critical axle to be installed and clamped into place onto both leaf-springs with a set of U Bolts and steel plates. Then is was just a case of getting the wheels on.

Wheel Bearing assembly

I took apart one hub assembly to have a good scan about inside. The Oriental Factory beings had pre-greased it but I added some more just to be certain.

Once the hub assembly was slid in I just had to add the crucial 'castle nut' flush then back it off 1/6 of a turn so the thing could spin freely.

The tools I used to get the hub cap off. You don’t have to remove the entire hub assembly though, unless you re re-greasing it, or wanting to mount it to the axle easily.

I almost forgot to put the cotter pin through the axle!

Next mission is servicing the White Wolf, both myself and G-Man reckon the transmission is a bit worn and could do with a rattle-tattle from the grease-monkeys...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned From Books

Just received a satellite transmission from the White Baron!

He had a bit of a crash but says he is ok.

Lesson's learned:

10,000 feet is just over the capabilities of a hexacopter (an octocopter is more suited for these elevations).

I need to order a new servo for the undercarriage.

Crashing next to water is better than in the water usually.

For the video 60 FPS is available for those with the speedy internet connection...

Here's the surveillance footage that survived the battle...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Banned From Books

After toing and froing about the city I had a ten day wait for getting the red mule ready for inspection by the Sheriff down near the mega city of Coloradica.

That gives me some time to make use of the city though, first I made a visit to the local arms dealer and placed an order for a decent battle rifle! Then there was the more mundane doings of getting the White Wolf’s transmission looked at.

Ironically, down in Coloradica the weather had cooled down, as had the weather up in the Green Havens of the PNW. Time will tell if it keeps cool for my trailer-bound return!

Last edited by Watch Ryder; 07-24-2015 at 11:29 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned From Books

The transmission work cost just over 300 bucks. The annoying noise has faded a bit at least.

Wiring the Red Mule’s cabling for the brakes and signal lights was a bit niggly but I got it done.

This is crimped and heatshrunk. Earlier I had tried soldering it with a Harbor Freight butane torch but it wasn’t fine enough and kept melting the adjacent wiring.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned From Books

Arrow

Caregiving Interlude

Before I could do that the next few days were building up for some caregiving duties at the Grotto. Mountain Man Mike was going stir-crazy from being in the city for so long and practically unable to leave his Grotto post! He needed to live free for a while and after some council with the old folksters of the Grotto he had his leave/liberty. As I had to wait around for my trailer inspection date anyway I agreed to help out for a few days by being the .

So Mike prepared for his own solo trip to the Mountain Hold.

After unloading the Blue Mule of 4x8 boards Mike loaded it with gear to take up to the mountains.

Then on the 11th Mike set off, happy and glad to be free from the crushing confines of the city. If pickups could be flown by raised spirits that thing would have been floating to the highway let me tell you.

I was to remain behind and see that the old folks were ok, it was a new world for me, but I owed them for all the support they gave me when I got started in 2012! Both of us could have gone in theory but we/I thought it best to remain behind at the Grotto to help out with the old folks.

As well as this I made sure to work on the boards and 2x4s for painting and whatnot.

I was hoping the caregiving wouldn’t be too intrusive but within an hour of Mike departing for the Hold I had my first test! The elderly man of the house had fallen! He’d not injured himself thankfully but needed help getting up. In my military days we’d practiced carrying people on our shoulders (fireman’s lift) but that was with standing upright to the carry, not from the ground.

Nevertheless I got him under the armpits, kept a straight back and raised myself up with a mighty heave and up he went too! I plonking him down onto the cushioned chair and all was well again. The oldsters of the house were impressed that for such a slender man I was able to pull off the feat!
Only a few hours later I had to repeat the duty, and the next day, while I was at K. Sooper I got a call, he’d fallen again, so back to the Grotto in the White Wolf it was and another session of lifting duties!

By this time I considering this caregiving stuff to be quite a workout! Who needs a gym when you have approx. 170 lb of man-weight to lift about! LOL.

I got a comms message from Mike that the Hold had been drizzly and wet. He managed to get some of the land barriered off with electric wire though.

I hadn’t noticed also but the garage at the Hold was being held up only by the mega-duty filing cabinet installed last year. If that hadn’t been moved the whole garage would have been flat-packed!

One of the old folks took another tumble but no injuries thankfully, then Mike returned and it was back to the Grotto routine…
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned From Books

Getting the side-indicators wired up with the join-crimps.

Also have only just gotten around to mending the wing mirror (following the theatrics with a blown tire-remold).

There’s only the board to go on now then it’s a waiting game for the inspection.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Banned From Books

Here's the 4x8 board being matched up for the trailer frame:

The bottom was already painted with four coats of white gloss paint. This is the side that will be exposed to the road-spray etc.

Making some notches for it:

The side bracers need to be modified slightly. Here's the tools I used for cutting the notches:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 43,170 Times in 9,571 Posts

Nice, Watch Ryder!

I really like the PNW location pictures. I found similar land here in the East. Being almost in the old folks demographic - we are not quite as remote - but it appears to be that way, when there. Cabin & garage already built; it's serviceable the way it is. There will be future modifications, however. Enjoying your progress. MMM wasn't kidding about his place either - very nice location there, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread