The Basics/Where to Start? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get Home Bag load out - start over or good start? Spoonchucker Urban Survival 38 12-03-2015 05:48 AM
Chumming Basics AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-03-2015 09:30 PM
The basics? Haydn Rowlands Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 10-16-2012 04:44 PM
AR-15... 101 The Basics Phantom2041 Military Weapons Forum 19 02-27-2012 08:07 PM
BOB Basics Phoenixdadeadhead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 11-09-2011 07:09 AM
What are the basics? MasterrEugene Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 02-17-2011 12:20 PM
The Basics FloridaRedneck Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 12-10-2010 06:37 PM
Back to the Basics hcbsboy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 10-23-2010 12:38 AM
Basics Beards Urban Survival 9 01-12-2010 10:37 PM
How much for the basics? Azreal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 09-23-2009 11:52 PM

Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 AM

Default The Basics/Where to Start?

Advertise Here

I'm relatively new to prepping, but I've done a decent amount of research (I'm not going in blind, at least). I'm wondering about the basics.
-What's the best water storage method, or what are things NOT to do/common mistakes?
-I have started sealing food in Mylar bags - what's the best way to store these bags? Do they need to be rotated out, or are they okay to be left alone, and for how long? And for that matter, are there certain sizes that work better for certain items? I went with one gallon bags, but what about the quart sizes for, say, spices?
-Ammo/Weapons: what kind, how much, how to store?
-How long will yard eggs last on a shelf without any treatment?
-We have rabbits, no litters yet though. Can rabbit food be stored long-term, and if so, how?
-What items inherently do not work for LTS?
-How important IS a BOB? We're planning to bug out to a location and to take many items with us at that time (the rabbits, some of the LTS items, etc.) in vehicles. Get-home bags to get us home from work/school, of course - what do we need to have in them? For example, I'm about to start school (weapons on a state campus are a BIG no-no, even in private vehicles) and once I finish, I'll be a teacher (again, weapons a no-no as the laws stand now), but I'm close enough to home to get back with less than 1/4 tank of gas.
-Best non-food/water items for bartering PAW?
-Law & order amongst your own group/compound PAW - thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,220 Times in 2,653 Posts

most of the answers to your questions can be found with research through this forum. It sounds like it is important info for you so please take the time to research. This forum has a wealth of information..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 AM

I cant answer all of your questions but I will put my input where I can.

Top 3 weapons of choice in most tactical situations would include a handgun, AR-15 rifle, and 12 GA shotgun. I plan on adding a .22 Long rifle for my collection for hunting purposes as well. Glock makes great handguns but so does Smith and Wesson and Sig Sauer. Go to your local gun shop and see what feels best to you. I like handguns in .40 caliber the best, but that is personal preference. I would not feel comfortable shooting anything under that caliber but that's just me. If you are looking for a good AR-15 I would suggest Smith and Wesson M&P, Colt, or Bushmaster chambered in 5.56 NATO. As far as ammo, you can never buy too much as long as you can store it or transport it safely. Keep in mind when storing your firearms and ammunition that moisture is their worst enemy. It will cause your firearms to rust. I would suggest a gun safe and adding in a dehumidifier.

I have never lived in a PAW obviously, but I see gold, silver, medication, and alcohol holding their value or increasing in value.

I would have an appointed Enforcement Officer and a designated holding cell to place violators when a crime has been committed. A council would then determine their fate. Execution for Murder, Rape, etc. And maybe lockup for smaller offenses. I would advise strongly against banishment due. If you were to banish somebody, they would know your security operations, weaknesses, and storage areas. They could bring a bigger group to your area to attack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 12:48 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

There is not set amount of food, water, and other supplies that's " enough " Having too much is never a problem provided your not over stocked in one area and scraping the bottom of the barrel in another. Keep doing what your doing and expand.

The main thing I would suggest about basics and getting started in the lifestyle is to remember preps only go so far. You need to allocate time and resources to learn the vAluable skills you may need to survive. In addition to your stockpiles of supplies you might wAnt to get some books on things you either are totally unfamiliar with or even things you know you can do but there's nothing wrong with learning and practicing all you can while you can before you actually find yourself depending on those skills to stay alive.

The basic stuff first. Remember what you really need to survive and hone those skills. Farming and gardening. Hunting, fishing, gathering. Food preservation. Water. Shelter. Clothing. Security. Etc etc. Focus on those things first but even when your satisfied don't slack off on the basics as you turn to more advanced skill sets you really don't need to survive but will mAke life easier.

Some advanced stuff...mechanical and electrical skills. Blacksmithing. Basic construction. Medical training. Etc etc.

Prep your supplies and tools but don't neglect to prep yourself.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Ammo, weapons, and exactly what food you stock really is up to you. What works for some may not work for you. Have the weapons your comfortable and proficient with. There's no wrong weapon. Whatever works for you and fills the need you have is what you should have.

I'm not against guns and weapons but be cAreful there. I know people that spend almost all their disposAble income in this area. Do you really need " tactical " weapons and expensive military equipment? Don't get me wrong, if you have the money and your up to speed in other areas there is nothing wrong with having that stuff. Just keep in mind if your just starting out that there's allot of needs to be covered, not just weapons and ammo.

I'm pretty amused at the " tactical " ummm stuff folks seem to think is going to be so vital. It's funny and its disturbing at the same time. I've seen so called preppers with every gadget known attatched to top of the line AR rifles that have empty shelves and barren pantries. Makes me wonder what these types are going to do when they get hungry.

A tactical wheel barrow will likely be more useful to most of us.....
Old 06-08-2015, 02:01 AM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adylaid View Post
-What's the best water storage method
I have a fairly unlimited water source so I only store ten jugs (5gal) inside the building. The one thing you should have is a water filter of sorts. Many people recommend the "big berkley" filters but you will want to research whats right for you and yours.

Quote:
-I have started sealing food in Mylar bags - what's the best way to store these bags? Do they need to be rotated out, or are they okay to be left alone, and for how long? And for that matter, are there certain sizes that work better for certain items? I went with one gallon bags, but what about the quart sizes for, say, spices?
We use various size bags, gallon for rice and beans, larger bags for things like flour, small bags for baking soda. Think of it this way, how fast will you use it up once you open it and do you really want to have to reseal it? As for rotation, there are a couple schools of thought here, one eat what you store and rotate it that way, or seal it up and dont look at it for 20+ years.... I prefer to eat what I store. Each stored item will have its own shelf life and there are lots of resources online to get an idea of how long that is. Be sure to use oxygen absorbers or nitrogen and write the package date on it. All of my mylar bags then go into 5gal buckets with lids for easy (and protective) storage.

Quote:
As stated before, this is personal preference. For my collection I stick to common calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 5.56/223, 7.62/308, 12g. This means I dont have to save as many types of ammo and because these are all very popular (and military standard), the odds of finding more are slightly increased.
As for which weapons... 22lr for small game, 9mm(or preference pistol) for personal defense, AR-15 for looter deterent, 308 for large game (or Ma' Bell), and the 12g for birds hunting

Quote:
Here is an article regarding that very thing: http://www.offthegridnews.com/off-gr...the-long-term/

Quote:
-We have rabbits, no litters yet though. Can rabbit food be stored long-term, and if so, how?
Rabbit pellets can be stored long term, treat them just like you would wheat or rice

Quote:
When buying anything for long term, buy quality and a quote I love "two is one and one is none".

Quote:
-How important IS a BOB? We're planning to bug out to a location and to take many items with us at that time (the rabbits, some of the LTS items, etc.) in vehicles. Get-home bags to get us home from work/school, of course - what do we need to have in them?
A BOB is something that is always packed and ready to go if you had to grab and run leaving everything else behind (think everything around you is on fire, you can grab one thing before your house comes down...) If you bug out early enough and have time to pack up, then the BOB is kinda like the insurance policy on your car...you hope you never need it but its there just in case.

For the GHB contents, this will depend on your distance, terrain, weather, etc. How long would it take you to walk home on a normal sunny day. Now take that time and triple it and thats how long your GHB should sustain you. Things to consider: Food/cooking, shelter/sleeping, water/filtration, knife/axe, fire starter x2 (bic lighter should be one of them) extra socks, other clothing based on weather, remember extra socks! Take care of your feet, they will take care of you.

Quote:
Garden seeds, silver, meds, or if you have a unique skill it may be valuable.
Alchohol will be valuable but I have an issue with supporting others habits
Ammo will also probably be of value but I would really be p!ssed if I got shot with my own bullets.

Quote:
This is a can of worms debate and you will ultimately have to decide how to handle a situation. I lean more toward more severe repercussions and make it public. This will disuade many otherwise wrongdoers and let them know that it is a serious matter.

I encourage you to continue your improvements, it is easy to get overwhelmed but dont give up and remember that old joke: how do you eat an elephant...one bite at a time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the input so far! Some of it has made me realize that I neglected to mention a few things;
I've grown up hunting and much of the research I mentioned above has been on survival skills (did you know you can eat KUDZU?! Jackpot! Lol) and I'm working to get myself into better physical shape. My mom's a nurse and my dad's an EMT, firefighter, and EOC member, and they're both HAM operators (I've neglected getting my license because I don't see the SHTF value of a piece of paper, but I know how to use the radio and how to make some repairs). We've always been 'Red Cross ready' but just recently decided that the confidence that we could scrape by in a SHTF scenario is not enough for us; my parents are getting older, I have multiple nieces and nephews under 10, and my sisters are going to be all but useless right out of the gate, so I know that ideally we should have preps so we can devote more time to training (one of the nephews knows how to hunt, but that's really the extent of it). Hell, why scrape by when you can have it relatively easy?

Another issue I neglected to mention above is that I have bipolar 1 disorder and I take Lithium twice daily. Any tips for stocking up on meds (I can NOT skip doses)? I think we'll probably wind up raiding the pharmacies around here if SHTF. Hopefully it won't be something others want since it's not a benzo or a painkiller.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,663 Times in 3,315 Posts

Quote:
I'm relatively new to prepping, but I've done a decent amount of research (I'm not going in blind, at least). I'm wondering about the basics.
-What's the best water storage method, or what are things NOT to do/common mistakes?
-How important IS a BOB? We're planning to bug out to a location and to take many items with us at that time (the rabbits, some of the LTS items, etc.) in vehicles. Get-home bags to get us home from work/school, of course - what do we need to have in them? For example, I'm about to start school (weapons on a state campus are a BIG no-no, even in private vehicles) and once I finish, I'll be a teacher (again, weapons a no-no as the laws stand now), but I'm close enough to home to get back with less than 1/4 tank of gas.

: That's a LOT of big questions each one can take pages to answer.
I'll try an answer some of them.

For food storage look here

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...od+storage+101

How much ammo I usually tell ppl. it all varies but I rate it pending on your age,the amount you shoot per year, and how long do you plan on shooting / hunting.

Example: Lets say your 35 and you shoot 2 boxes (40 rounds) of ammo per year and you plan on hunting until your 75.

So you plan on shooting for 40 years and if you shoot 2 boxes then you will need 80 boxes of ammo(1600 rounds), but I would add another 10 boxes just in case you do get a new scope or just have problems zeroing your weapon. In this case i would stock up a min. of 90-95 boxes(1800-2000 rounds) . This way IF nothing ever happens and this person only uses 2 boxes per year they will have enough ammo to last them a lifetime.Now this is a bare min. of what you will need for a lifetime of shooting you may want to stock up more just in case.

As to what weapon that's a personnel choice. I would look at a few factors like terrain, if you live in dense forest terrain you don't need a long range rifle very often, But if you live in an open terrain like the dessert then a long range weapon is a must.

The number one weapon everyone should have is a personnel defense weapon aka a pistol. A pistol will be needed in more common SHTF situations that any long gun. The only time you will be out and about with a long gun is if there is no rule of law like in a riot. The majority of the situations will still have the rule of law, where a pistol will be needed. However long guns are very useful as well and you should have a few in your favorite calibers.

Should you get a BoB. That all depends on your situation some ppl do need them like ppl who live on the coast and do see hurricane's form time to time. Many of them will head inland to a safer place to stay. The classic head for the hills wilderness survival BoB is HIGHLY improbable to ever be needed, because there are so few SHTF scenarios that would be bad enough to ever force ppl to head for the hills. Just look at recent history around the world what SHTF scenarios has force ppl to leave their city on foot and head for the hills? I can only think of one and that's war. War will cause ppl by the masses to flee but they usually flee to the next city NOT head for the hills.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,165 Times in 6,818 Posts

I'd say store enough of the basics (food, water, ammo, medical) for 72 hours and then expand from there. Whatever you do don't try to do too much too fast. You'll get overwhelmed. As stated in other posts use the search function here and you should get every answer you could ever want.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,420 Posts

The most common, likely SHTF to happen to you is not end of the world. Do you have six months of cash saved up? Injury or illness, loss of job are way more likely to happen. So having a bit of cash on hand and being debt free is the first step for me. Due to your area, hurricanes are in the picture, but that is mostly NOT a end of the world (but possible-lose your home, cars, personal items due to flood/looters). Besides the cash, just have normal storm preps for your area. Away from the coast that would be power (gennie, camp stove, candles/lantern/flashlights), foods easy to keep (no refrigeration, quick cooking one pot type), water (filter system like a Berkey etc or a 250gal potable water tank) and security. Protection firearms (side arm for each adult, long gun AR/AK/3030/shotgun again for each adult) and the training on use of each. ALL adults, you never know who has your back if they don't. And finally PLANS of action. Think different problems and find a solution. Like power off for a week or two- looters in the hood. Make friends with neighbors, form a loose group for mutual help. Too many looters- bug out to the woods close by and wait them out. Area destroyed- Go to BOL.

Short term foods are everyday foods at the local store. Knorr's Sides like chicken/rice (add a can of chicken breast) with a can of English Peas mixed in. That kind of stuff is all over the local store and a months supply need not cost a fortune. Medium term rice and beans along with canned foods. Long term last. I agree you need to sit down and read this board. There is a metric ton of info, all free, waiting for you to do your homework. Self sufficiency starts here.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,530 Times in 9,785 Posts

Take inventory of what you have now. If you have a gun with some ammo and know how to use it, it will work until you address other more pressing issues like your meds.

Perhaps an online pharmacy. Ask for a extra meds, tell them the full bottle fell in the toilet accidently.

Park off campus and walk a mile or so to school, that way you can have a fully equip GHB. A quarter tank of gas to get home is what 50 to 100 miles, that's days walking. Have enough stuff in the car for a foot trip. Good hiking boots and socks. Perhaps a topo map in case you need to hoof it cross country. Fly the route(s) in google earth

Never let the gas tank go below 1/2. Have some preserved fuel at home. enough to get you to the BOL starting with a near empty tank(s). Needs rotated at least every other year. Summer gas will burn in the winter (harder to start), winter gas can cause vapor lock in the summer. Air tight cans work the best.

Water is a biggie. Have a good filter. I like to see "silver impregnated ceramic with activated charcoal".

Get you ham ticket $15 and a few hours. BaoFeng UV-5R+ tricked out with better antenna, car charger, extra battery, speaker/mike, car antenna, AA battery pack, programming cable is less than $100. The free CHIRP software works. http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng...way-radio.html
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,168 Times in 5,385 Posts

I started my own preps with the most likely problem first: a power failure.

What is for dinner? Will it be eaten cold or hot? Will you have lights after sundown?

Etc.

Then I thought of the next likely SHTF, etc.

As for your sisters being useless, never underestimate the need to prepare that deer after you shoot it. If there is no power it will need to be salted, dried, cooked, etc and I bet your sisters know how or can figure out how. Killing the deer is just the start!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
I started my own preps with the most likely problem first: a power failure.

What is for dinner? Will it be eaten cold or hot? Will you have lights after sundown?

Etc.

Then I thought of the next likely SHTF, etc.

As for your sisters being useless, never underestimate the need to prepare that deer after you shoot it. If there is no power it will need to be salted, dried, cooked, etc and I bet your sisters know how or can figure out how. Killing the deer is just the start!
The image of my sisters trying to dress a dear just made my day!! They have issues with mud. They're capable, but it'll take a major reality check...
Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 PM

keep it simple well stocked pantry a hand gun shotgun generater and of course emergency cash
Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,837 Times in 3,297 Posts

You've raised about 7 issues each of which have had more than one whole thread dedicated to them. I don't ordinarily do this, but I would suggest you research those threads. For one thing, a whole lo of nuance and detail can be brought forth in more narrowly focused thread than in one that tries to address all these topics all at once. I don't blame you for wanting quick answers to your specific questions, but I really think you will benefit more by looking at earlier discussions on these same topics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Good questions all.

Where to start?

Start with a pistol and a carbine for everyone in your family group.

Add a gun safe big enough for all of it.

Safety and protection is step #1 always.

You are food on the hoof for someone else otherwise.

The gun safe is protection for the guns from burglars or small children.

My general rule for ammo is 100 rounds of carbine, and 30 to 50 rounds of pistol, minimum, untouched at all times and always ready to go, loaded into mags and stuck in mag pouches or bandoleers. But I keep over 1000 of carbine and over 500 of pistol available.

Step #2 is water storage and water filters. You can only live for 3 days without a gallon of water.

Step #3 is food storage. Start with carbs -- rice and/or pasta are the best ready to cook/eat carbs. You may also want to start growing potatoes and corn if you can. You can only live 21 days without food. Eventually you will need fruits and proteins too. If you raise rabbits that is perfect for protein. You can drink the blood for vitamins if you don't have any fruits. Rabbits get their vitamins from the vegies you feed them. Carnivores like cats get their vitamins from the blood in their prey.

Step #4 is shelter and bedding. If you shelter in place you need to keep warm when the power goes out. If you already have camping gear you are already ready with that. If you don't camp, start camping to see what it is like.

Step #5 is fuel storage -- gasoline, diesel, and/or wood.

Step #6 is mobility -- the bug out vehicle and the bug out destination.

For bartering, the best thing would be 5.56 ammo, or 9mm, or 45ACP. Those are the 3 most common and most popular ammunition. I would gladly barter with someone for more ammo.

I would also barter for gasoline. I use gasoline in my various cook stoves.

Not really interested in anything else (a pretty girl maybe on occasion, but this is more common in Asia not in America).

You should also get to know your friends and neighbors, their strengths and weaknesses, their assets and liabilities. These people will either be working with you or against you.

Within a family, the oldest strongest son is usually going to become the boss, with him either respecting or not respecting his father's judgment.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
You've raised about 7 issues each of which have had more than one whole thread dedicated to them. I don't ordinarily do this, but I would suggest you research those threads. For one thing, a whole lo of nuance and detail can be brought forth in more narrowly focused thread than in one that tries to address all these topics all at once. I don't blame you for wanting quick answers to your specific questions, but I really think you will benefit more by looking at earlier discussions on these same topics.
Give him a break Brother Ankylus.

He wants easy and quick answers and he wants them now. Doesn't everybody?

:D
The Following User Says Thank You to hks95134 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 153,081 Times in 44,582 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Agreed. Basic netiquette. One topic per thread.

There's no way to cover that many different topics in a single thread. If so, the thread would be too big to read.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,059 Posts

Yes I agree with everyone above.

I will add my .02 though and it is something that you must think about and decide on before you really decide on anything else.

what situation will you be staying in your home and at what point will you be leaving?

If you plan to stay in your home through most events then your home should become your priority. Preparing to defend it and the supplies you put there will be your primary objective. Think about food preps, water, water purifcation, power, lighting, cooking, medical.

On the other hand if you plan on bugging out at the earliest sign of trouble, then you should focus more on a good BOB for the family members, a BOL, and what you will cache there or along the way.

These are very important decisions to understand and decide on. I know some people who have been at this for years that have thousands upon thousands of dollars of preps at their primary home but if they had to bug out without a vehicle or it eventually broke down then they just left a very nice find for someone once it all blows over.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 5,115 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
You'll need to search these forums for each answer in great detail, but the basics in my opinion:

1) Water - I greatly prefer 55 gallon food grade drums. You can store a ton of water this way, seal it up, and forget it for a couple years. I swap it out every couple of years, but that's probably not completely necessary. Don't store bottled water or water in thin plastic of any kind for long term use. The plastic will eventually rupture.

2) Mylar storage - Certain things, like hard white wheat, have a 30 year shelf life or more. Depends on the item but sealing in mylar with an o2 absorber will help a lot. 1 gallon is good so you don't have to open a giant bag each time.

3) Ammo / weapons - this is like asking what the best kind of Gatorade is. You'll get a lot of responses and it's hard to go too far wrong. Check out the firearms section.

I suggest you search the forums for more...