Tobacco Garden! Last Years Project. Success! - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gasoline stored for 5 years - success! LincTex Vehicles & Transportation 21 07-07-2015 10:11 AM
Soviet Afghan war 9 years.. Iraq War 9 years...Same reasons: Ran out of money! Sped Man Financial Forum 30 10-23-2011 08:31 PM
What has been your favorite garden success this year? TNPrepper Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 21 08-20-2011 06:42 AM
My first garden in 30 years motorcycledog Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 06-22-2011 11:09 PM
This Years Garden - Any Suggestions From Anyone..? ackbob Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 06-12-2010 07:54 PM
Guerilla Garden Project 2010 ramaytush Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 21 04-06-2010 03:52 AM
Home garden business success story Von Helman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 10-28-2009 09:53 AM
This years container garden Sharpdogs Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 06-11-2009 11:11 AM
This years container garden Sharpdogs Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 06-09-2009 03:08 PM
garden project 3/30/08 Mr Lugwrench Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 05-30-2008 01:39 PM

Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,038 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieB View Post
I buy bagged pipe tobacco and tubes, to save money. I will be doing my best to quit this year, I hope for success but this is harder to quit than drinking which I had to or die. I have 16 yrs sober. How did you quit smoking? Also how do you store your tobacco? I find even the bags of tobacco I buy is very dry and not easy to deal with as in rolling and tends to fall out of the tubes?
Congrats on sobriety. I was there as well. 5 years sober. I also used to roll my on prior to quitting. My way to keep tobacco fresh, was to keep it in large mason jars. I have hand rolled cigs in my preps from over a year ago that are as fresh as the day I rolled them. Even the bags will work, but leach moisture slowly over time. To re-hydrate dry tobacco, take a cotton ball or something similar like a piece of paper towel, moisten it, and drop it in you're jar/bag overnight. You will have nice moist leaf in the morning.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 AM
M.R. Not

Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy4200 View Post
What you encountered is probably the biggest issue for new growers. It can be caused by several things. The most likely, is hot, dry air. Tobacco needs to dry slowly. This first stage is called color curing. You don't need ideal conditions, but you can do things like curing it indoors, in a shed, garage, or something similar where you an somewhat adjust the humidity. I know a guy who cures in a small shed, and just lays a small kiddie pool on the floor with a few inches of water, to bump up the humidity. It can also be more likely to happen when the leaf is picked to early.
Yeah this is Arizona, it is dry, even during the monsoon when I tried to cure it was probably only 50%. I'm going to try to cure in the clear W-mart totes, in layers with paper towels between layers, I think that will eliminate the mold problem, but keep it humid enough to color cure.

Rancher
Old 01-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,951 Times in 15,258 Posts

Quote:
I buy bagged pipe tobacco and tubes, to save money. I will be doing my best to quit this year, I hope for success but this is harder to quit than drinking which I had to or die. I have 16 yrs sober. How did you quit smoking? Also how do you store your tobacco? I find even the bags of tobacco I buy is very dry and not easy to deal with as in rolling and tends to fall out of the tubes?
I put a couple of damp cotton balls in my 1lb bags after I open them. Tobacco stays moister. I very seldom have it fall out of the tubes. But if you grew your own tobacco, you'd have stuff to sell and make some $$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
dam you party liqour

Quote:
mason jars, my friends and I will buy tins of pipe tobacco put it in mason jars. If you are afraid about it drying out just get some distilled water and Humidity Beads. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14
Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 PM
patriarch

Thanked 6,026 Times in 2,879 Posts

JenieB. I recommend an alternative, pipe smoking. Something to put in your mouth, something for the fingers to do, and the mind set to keep the tobacco lit. Only smoke it at leasure. A calm and relaxed posture. Concentrate, smoke without inhaling the smoke. Patience!
Old 02-13-2015, 10:45 PM

Very impressive. Id love to ty one, could I buy one of those smokes off you.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 AM

Northern Ontario Canada here...I have grown tobacco in these pictures is Kelly Brownleaf

I started them outdoors on my patio and brought them indoors for a bit,as I did not have a yard as I do now..in the picture that is as big as I got them, it was all an experiment to see if I could grow them that far up north..

This year I aim to try tobacco again,own a home and a yard..I have just started the seeds, yesterday was herb and tobacco starting day...I am going to try growing 3 varities

Kelly Brownleaf(because of the success I had last time)
Banana Leaf
and Barnett Special

here is the link for those of you in Canada thinking about trying this..I will take pictures this year of my step by step of growing up here in Canada, as the OP says this will be a great barter trade item in SHTF

http://www.newhopeseed.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelee877 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,069 Posts

from the link Kelle877 provided
Sorry, we cannot ship plants to California, Hawaii, Alaska or Internationally.
http://www.newhopeseed.com/tobacco_plants.html

ZRT
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelee877 View Post
Northern Ontario Canada here...I have grown tobacco in these pictures is Kelly Brownleaf

I started them outdoors on my patio and brought them indoors for a bit,as I did not have a yard as I do now..in the picture that is as big as I got them, it was all an experiment to see if I could grow them that far up north..

This year I aim to try tobacco again,own a home and a yard..I have just started the seeds, yesterday was herb and tobacco starting day...I am going to try growing 3 varities

Kelly Brownleaf(because of the success I had last time)
Banana Leaf
and Barnett Special

here is the link for those of you in Canada thinking about trying this..I will take pictures this year of my step by step of growing up here in Canada, as the OP says this will be a great barter trade item in SHTF

http://www.newhopeseed.com/
Wherabouts in N.O.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 AM

As an enthusiastic cigar and pipe smoker I sure like this thread.

From the pictures it looks like you've even tried your hand at rolling cigars? How difficult did you find that? How'd your cigars end up tasting?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Master Mariner- retired

Thanked 1,717 Times in 618 Posts

I roll my own. The best way to keep it moist that I have found is just put a slice of apple in the container. Works a charm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Turk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 AM

Where did you acquire you seeds?
My grandfather is 80 years old and has been smoking half and half pipe tobacco for most of my life. I wanted to surprise him with some freshly grown tobacco and possibly get my mom off cigarettes.
Can you give any tips on growing tobacco plants?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
M.R. Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by drageon13 View Post
My grandfather is 80 years old and has been smoking half and half pipe tobacco for most of my life. I wanted to surprise him with some freshly grown tobacco and possibly get my mom off cigarettes.
Lots of seed sellers on Ebay, I think I got 5 different varieties for $5.00, start them in a small peat pot, sprinkle the seed on the top, dust cover them with potting soil, they should sprout in a couple of weeks, transplant once or twice then into the garden, they are not insect proof, tomato horn worm will demolish them fast.

Rancher
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,504 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drageon13 View Post

Check out the 'Fair trade tobacco' fourm , its a huge wealth off home grown info , also most colleges in tobacco growing regions have large sites dedicated to tobacco crops
http://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/
http://darktobacco.ca.uky.edu/
http://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Tobacco/Photos-Disease.htm

http://www.northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm , Largest selection off tobacco seeds on the net im aware off , at fair prices
The Following User Says Thank You to LIBERTYCHICKEN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordieNH View Post
As an enthusiastic cigar and pipe smoker I sure like this thread.

From the pictures it looks like you've even tried your hand at rolling cigars? How difficult did you find that? How'd your cigars end up tasting?

Thanks!

The cigar I rolled in the picture was basically a prototype. The leaf had only cured for about a month and in all honestly was rough. Tobacco needs time. Like a good wine or whiskey, it mellows and develops with age. Most true tobacco growers wouldn't even consider smoking tobacco less than 2 years old. The basic rule for us home growers is 6 months, unless you want to mess with kilning (artificial fermentation with electric heat) but that's a whole other project.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 27,138 Times in 7,668 Posts

Hanzy4200 > Many thanks.
Your success, pics & advice is enough for me to give this a try.
Have green thumb, good soil, patience, tools & willing.
Short growing season at BOL, but one has to go with what they have.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM
M.R. Not

Default Question for you Tobacco growers

OK my plants have frozen back to the ground, but new shoots are coming up, can I just let them grow?

Rancher
Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Dork Sided

Thanked 19,576 Times in 6,633 Posts

I've never messed with this because I thought it was illegal. I mean, it is still called the 'BATF' right?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
M.R. Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker_Buckmann View Post
I've never messed with this because I thought it was illegal. I mean, it is still called the 'BATF' right?
If we get our way it may be called the FBI & DHS.

From Google... I read it on the internet so it must be true!

"It is legal in all fifty states to grow your own tobacco. It's even legal to sell whole leaves so long as the mid rib is not removed. It can not be processed in any way or you will have to get a license to sell it. Some states may have limits on how much you can grow so check before planting a whole field of it."

Rancher
Old 03-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,504 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
OK my plants have frozen back to the ground, but new shoots are coming up, can I just let them grow?

Rancher
You can just let them grow like a 'sucker crop'

But like a 'sucker crop' the tobacco will be off a lesser quality