Something weird is going on at my homestead! - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Little Homestead NectarNook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 65 06-09-2017 11:02 AM
What is your homestead like ? pineygal General Discussion 25 11-30-2015 03:08 PM
BOL or Homestead Old dude Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 04-14-2015 09:19 PM
New BOL/Homestead retrieverman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 01-23-2015 02:11 PM
Homestead Com's bkwudzhom Communications 3 04-18-2014 08:30 PM
Our Homestead letsgetreal Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 73 04-15-2014 10:27 PM
If you could homestead anywhere? two dollar steak Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 85 04-13-2014 11:04 PM
New (to us) homestead! MaNiCsQuIrReL Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 12-05-2013 08:29 AM
Do you homestead? DeaneRenata Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 10-20-2013 08:28 AM
My Homestead :) LittleRedHen Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 07-08-2013 12:56 PM

Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Advertise Here

Do what I do when I suspect I have pigs or some other pest... sniper position. If it's what you're leading into, it would be worth it's weight in gold... dead or alive. Whatever it is has a physical body, so it can be killed...
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Ephemerally here

Thanked 12,923 Times in 4,741 Posts

Over here in the NorthBest, Ace Hardware has Sylvania Branded Motion Detector lights that work Great! Each unit uses 3 AAA Cells, and each has Three LEDs. The Motion Detector is pretty good. Each comes with a Magnetic Mount that also has Screw Mounting holes in them. I use the Heck out of them. Put a few in Random places out in the Field, and stand watch. But, since you are already Robbed, looks like you will have to wait till Next year?
The Following User Says Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Christian

Thanked 50,616 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Do what I do when I suspect I have pigs or some other pest... sniper position. If it's what you're leading into, it would be worth it's weight in gold... dead or alive. Whatever it is has a physical body, so it can be killed...
If it bleeds then we can kill it.............

The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Christian

Thanked 50,616 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNslinger View Post
If it were someone living in the woods, I can't imagine they'd leave the faucet running.
coons dont care about water conservation....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Small black strings criss crossing the area tied to cans or other noise makers so when thy step on them you are alerted?
I was going to say trail cam until I got to where you said cost prohibitive.
I've already started on some perimeter alarms. I will probably deploy them when the pears or apples are getting close this year.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicaljake View Post
Do you have no trespassing signs or a fence up on your property? Sounds to me like someone has gotten in good with your dogs (throwing them meat or something until they get friendly). You ever leave the place unattended?

We have squirrels that get into our fruit trees and eat the fruit. Not sure what kind of tree cover you have, or how vigilant your dogs are at night.

Whatever is coming through your property at evening, you need to nip it in the bud post-haste. If you can't afford fencing, put up fluorescent line on posts and hang no trespassing signs. Make up a sign that alerts people to the fact that you notice what is going on. Something like:
"No trespassing. If you trespass between dusk and dawn, you will be considered a threat to my safety and will be shot. Vandalism and theft is noticed and will not be tolerated."

I'm not advocating that you actually shoot someone. Stay up one night, armed of course, and see if you hear anyone outside. I'd recommend being inside with a top window open, or second story if you have one. If you hear something outside, fire off a round into a safe backstop (dirt/wood/whatever) and see if you can make out the scrambling as a human or animal.

Have you called the police about what you hear in the draw? Have you called the police about the other things? Something's gotta give. It ain't ghosts.

Don't jump at shadows. Keep cool, stay armed, stay safe. You will figure it out sooner or later.
It is very rare that my property is unattended. As for the dogs, they've never met a strager they like. they are VERY territorial. That's one of the things that make these events so weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1survivor2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Go into the woods and confront your fear. Go armed, but do not engage your target unless it is a direct threat to your life. It will help you get past your fear of the unknown, and maybe you will find bear sign or see some critters to explain the missing fruit. Sometimes even very good dogs sleep like logs. You could set off a fire cracker next to my dog when he is snoring and he would not twitch. Racoons are ninja's. They also love mushrooms.

The woods across the street is Private property.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,631 Times in 6,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1survivor2012 View Post
I've already started on some perimeter alarms. I will probably deploy them when the pears or apples are getting close this year.
I don't know much about you. Do you work? Wife? Does she work?

Are there times when no one is home?

I'm thinking that you might need to close the doors on a match, or a piece of paper just to test and make sure that no one is going inside if you have a set pattern.

My first instinct is it's probably kids.

My second is to do several things to prove that you're secure starting with the home. Have a look at all windows, well anyway that someone might get in.

The motion detector lights are good, but nothing is quite like a photo.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiC View Post
Do you live near farmlands, could it be migrant workers? Are you near heavily used railroad tracks? It could be homeless or people trying to feed their families. In other words you could very well become a threat if you try to confront them without protection. Run some halogen lamps out to your garden, stake your dogs up and keep watch with your rifle. Forewarn the police what has been going on and what you are going to do. Talk with neighbors and see if they have been having problems with theft also. If they haven't, or if they are the culprit, this will let them know that you know about it and are taking steps to guard your property to warn them off.
No migrant workers within 15 miles of here. I thought about the railroad thing too but it's over a mile away. Good questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1survivor2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryp View Post
Seeing as you are in the northern 1/3 of Indiana I'd say someone has found a way to feed the dogs to shut them up while they robbed you. Your dog that was killed was probally growling and wouldn't be quiet so he was killed to silence him. There are no large animals in that area or places that could support one (sorry big foot fans). I know, I grew up there. This is the work of humans. Get a game camera or two and set them up. Also at night put some large, dark painted boards with nails sticking up around randomly where they're stealing. Not lethal but will definitely discourage a prowler when he steps on it.
In the 15 years we have been on the homestead, we've never lost a thing other than the foodcrops I mentioned...and apparently water. The dogs definitely do their job. I've only found deer tracks in the garden one time in 15 years. That's part of the reason these incidents over the last 3 years have been so strange.

When the pears diappeared ovenight last year, I figured someone stole them but there were no ladder marks on the ground.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryp View Post
Seeing as you are in the northern 1/3 of Indiana I'd say someone has found a way to feed the dogs to shut them up while they robbed you. Your dog that was killed was probally growling and wouldn't be quiet so he was killed to silence him. There are no large animals in that area or places that could support one (sorry big foot fans). I know, I grew up there. This is the work of humans. Get a game camera or two and set them up. Also at night put some large, dark painted boards with nails sticking up around randomly where they're stealing. Not lethal but will definitely discourage a prowler when he steps on it.
There are 3 large reservoir properties nearby, lots of wooded properties and I have been within 20 feet of a fullgrown cougar on one of those properties. DNR confirmed the cougars with plastercasts.

If there are bigfoots in existence, I believe they could easily survive in this area.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 24,832 Times in 7,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNslinger View Post
I wonder if the coons are strong enough to turn the water faucet on? They do have fingers and thumbs...
You bet a coon can turn on a faucet, open a latch etc...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,185 Posts

Another vote for Sasquatch here. Trail cam too cost prohibitive? How about a motion detecting light and a big thermos of coffee?
The Following User Says Thank You to maia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Thanks for most of your replies.

I will add this:

(1) I still have 5 large hunting-breed dogs that are still very territorial and regularly kill opossums and racoons. They have even faced off with coyote packs.

(2) My home and buildings are VERY secure. As far as security is concerned, I have built in many redundancies. If somebody COULD get in, they would only get carried out.

(3) My neighbors and I are all very protective of each others properties. We DO have each other's backs. We actively pay attention to what's going on and have predetermined responses to given situations.

(4) I have spent most of my life enjoying the outdoors. I have been tracking animals since I was 8 years old. There were no tracks in the garden 2 years ago. There were no tracks in the strawberry bed 2 days ago.

(5) Raccoons will not pick and make off with 1+ bushels of pears in one night and leave no signs. As I mentioned, EVERY SINGLE PEAR disappeared in one night. The upper branches of that pear tree would not support the weight of a coon anyway and would have been damaged. Additionally, coons DO leave tailtale signs when tree robbing. And, as I mentioned before, my dogs dispatch all 'coons and 'possums on a regular basis and they are very efficient about it.

(6) Duke's neck WAS broken. I buried him and it was definitely broken. Whatever or whoever killed him pushed the front half of his body into his doghouse AFTER killing him. If you had seen his body position, you'd know this is true. I don't know if the neck was broken when he was killed or after he was killed, but it definitely was broken.

(7) Until 3 years ago, I had never had any produce pilferred except for some sweet corn that a coon had for his last meal. He still had some in his mouth when the dogs killed him.

(8) I will probably install a locking faucet this weekend.

(9) I spoke with a neighbor wthat lives in a large woods up the road from us. They have had some "strange" occurrences there as well. For their privacy, I will leave it at that.

(10) Several years ago, 2 rabbit cages were totally destroyed at another neighbor's house. They looked like they were hit with a sledgehammer. They were 3-1/2 feet above the floor in an open shed when it happened. The doors were made to open outwards but one was smashed in. The 2" x 2" frame on the door was completely splintered. No claw or teeth marks were visible. The other cage had the hardware cloth smashed in. The rabbits were all gone. No blood on the floor.

(11) I am now reconsidering the trail cams and will add infrared security cams to the house this weekend.

I don't know what has been causing the incidents around our home. I just wish it was happening somewhere else.

When I catch the culprit, on film or in trap, I promise to post back to this thread. In the meantime, keep the faith and stay true to "The Boards"!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 1survivor2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Target Shooter

Very strange........maybe somone you know messing with your head.............I have had turkeys get in my strawberry but not after dark.
Anyone local you have discussed this with, be hard for animals in your area to get by the dogs.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1survivor2012 View Post
The woods across the street is Private property.
Do you know who owns those woods? Are they experiencing "strange" things, too?

The smashed rabbit cages are weird. I don't know if I believe in bigfoot, per se, but that does kind of sound like what bigfoot are supposed to do. I don't have personal experience with bears, but I think they usually leave claw marks or bite marks?

That COULD be bears, but I don't think bears would be turning your faucet on. And why would bigfoot need to turn on your faucet?

I still think it's a person. A human person.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM

I hope you can get a ca set up soon. By God man, let us know what you find! Lol! And good hunting!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,033 Posts

I'd re-think the prohibitive cost of trail cams or similar. You may have a real problem that just really needs some resolution.

Or maybe you could borrow one for a month or two from someone during a non-hunting season for hunters, but when you're still having items on your property hunted. Or maybe a security company can rent you one cheaply for a month.

One potential problem might be the LEDs on some night cams. Yes, the pro side of them might be they'd work as a deterrent. But I'd just want to KNOW what the deal is, rather than just scare someone away. You can always work on that later, after you really know who the bad guy is. (If it's possible to get a clear face pic.)

And, by the way, if you just want a deterrent, you could get some cheap led lights that look like a trail cam. Of course, this assumes that a bad guy would recognize such a thing and be deterred.

I'm not sure I'd stay up late to stalk. You have no idea when this person is coming around. And as for confrontation, if this is a person who killed an animal, they're de-rranged. As right as many here might think it would be for you to confront; you're risking a kill or be killed situation. And, assuming you prevail, you then have to explain why you killed someone outside your house. And of course, you could lose the fight. (And it seems so far you're assuming one person.)

I'm just another anonymous guy on the board. But... I'd say... find a way to get the cam. We have the tech today to at least try to discover what the real deal is. If I owned one, I'd loan it to you. But... I don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Logic is my Super Power

Thanked 1,998 Times in 749 Posts

I live in a very suspicious state. We have "big foots" and some kind of wild man/werewolf down in the swamps and of course, "swamp thing"...so weird is not off the table. For some reason, this reminds me of that book "Communion" I read years and years ago. I am not saying I'm down with what that guy said for the most part, but there was something in there about strange stuff happening around his home place. The world is full of weird SHT and I have seen and heard a lot of it in the backwoods so, be careful, watch yourself and yours and let us know what you find.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Underneath the Mountains

Thanked 7,682 Times in 1,723 Posts

The dog is what confuses the hell out of me.

A mountain lion would go for a solid bite on the back of the neck or flip the animal and gut them with the claws on thier hind legs and unless your talking a 250-300 lb cat it wouldn't have enough limb strength to break the neck with a swat. A kitty that big would leave easily noticeable tracks unless it was raining hard that night or your ground is hard as a rock with very little dust.

A bear is nowhere near as sneaky as a mountain lion and I find it hard to believe that a large hunting dog that actively kills coons is just going to let a big black bear just walk up to it and swat it and break its neck. A bear will also generally use its teeth and front claws after an initial paw swipe.

Was the dog completely untouched with no apparent claw marks or bites and the only wound being the neck?

If so I would say that rules out all but two possibles a very sneaky and strong person or a large sasquatch or skookum creature. The rabbit cages is really weird too a person could just open them and take the rabbits, why the smashing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Redneck Sasquatch For This Useful Post: