Rethinking SHTF Rifle And Ammunition Stockpile - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 SHTF Barter Items To Stockpile oneprepahead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 133 02-10-2019 12:11 AM
Rethinking my SHTF gun collection. subvetssn Firearms General Discussion 27 07-27-2017 05:06 PM
anyone rethinking the "black rifle" for SHTF? ThE_LoNgShOt Firearms General Discussion 145 01-20-2017 08:24 PM
Stockpile/prep for shotgun or rifle? docblack Rifle Forum 55 10-04-2014 02:28 PM
Anyone revise their SHTF ammo & gun stockpile requirements based on the recent event? CitySurvival Firearms General Discussion 41 02-17-2013 09:41 PM
Your ammunition stockpile Tunnelvision Firearms General Discussion 20 10-25-2012 08:13 PM
Ammunition in SHTF. BugOutDude Urban Survival 152 02-24-2011 03:40 PM
Stockpile cleaning supplies for your rifle andersed Firearms General Discussion 6 01-23-2011 08:29 AM
FS: Bulk 308 Rifle Ammunition luckygunner For Sale 0 11-05-2010 11:08 AM
Urban ammunition stockpile BiscayneNative Urban Survival 33 03-09-2009 07:54 PM

Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,887 Times in 5,883 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
What amazes me is what some people consider judging others...

Not everyone is elegant when it comes to typing stuff out, Iím in that camp, so while you might consider it as someone judging others it just may be that they are typing the way they speak in real life and itís not meant to be judgmental.

Are you judging others when you comment about others judging?
Probably. I'm a graduate of the Levant's-Dad's school of judging where our motto is do what we say and not what we do.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,710 Times in 3,479 Posts

I wouldn't concern yourself with how others judge you.....unless they have a say so in what your time is worth.Fancy insults dont pay the bills....lol.

Mine happens to be worth more than what it takes to go through the process involved in reloading once fired military brass in 7.62x51mm. ( LC and Q3130 makes the bulk here via once fired brass.). Anyone who reloads something like this can tell you the difference in time involved vs a straight walled case, or using brand new brass at that. In short.....my time came out to right at the current minimum wage, which is not financially worthwhile in the least. Various chores around my farm justify time spent because it ends up making money. Prep work doesn't magically happen either.....and start to completion adds up .....regardless of stages or not. ( This includes the time it takes to store completed ammunition).

At 3 cents per rd, 22lr is not worth my time iot learn how to reload it.

Just a suggestion here, but I would view it as a hobby that you enjoy doing in your " free" time. My personal justification with regards to reloading leans more towards precision loads in supersonic as well as subsonic...and targets specific rifles via taylor produced fodder for them. Not a financially feasible means to stock thousands of rds in 7.62x51mm or 7.62x39mm for that matter. ( Most once fired LC and Q3130 brass ends up being sold off.)

In my case, free time is spent shooting or hunting. ( As Im typing this, I am at my range evaluating 2 handguns and 4 rifles.)
Last night was spent hunting wild hogs in the dark. ( Fun and can also make/ save money)
Note: Going off the stats from the last poll here at this forum.... over the subject of ammunition consumption per a given time frame, I landed in the category where very few ended up, and shoot much more ammunition compared to the " above average" shooters......let alone the average shooters. A percentage of this is work related, so they pay me to shoot their ammo using their firearms.

Another portion of that free time involves cultivation of the number 1 most important preparation.....which also happens to be a job related issue as well. ( PT)

Then, there is my other hobbies concerning solar power, horse drawn farm equipment, keeping important skills from perishing via lack of use, fabricating my own live traps out of naturally found materials, catfish ponds, etc......

Reloading is simply not as high a priority compared to other hobbies. Not good or bad. Simply different vs others. SHTF = less " free time" all told.

Weigh your options and utilize your time as you see fit. Either way.....its the same as factory produced ammo in that one either has the components needed to load " X" amount of completed rds or they dont.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,937 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
I reload in steps.
I’ll decap a thousand or so cases at a time, then they go into a container.
Once I get enough cases to run my wet tumbler I’ll clean them.
Then they might sit for weeks or more.
Then I’ll size.
Again, might sit for a while after that.
Then I’ll sit and watch tv on evening while priming the cases.
Adapter all this, which may have been days, weeks or months I’ll sit and dedicate the time to charge and load the rounds.
We are of the same mind, perhaps in a bit different order, and each step may have days/weeks/months between them . . .
  • I tumble first, right after I get home from shooting (I don't wet tumble).
  • I'll sort by headstamp/mfr after they're clean
  • I'll spend a day decapping/resizing several hundred cases
  • Once I get a pile of cases decapped, I'll trim/ream them
  • Then I'll prime as many as I can stand with the hand primer
  • Now it's nice to have a bunch of primed cases, and I can load the various recipes

I still buy factory ammo, because at some point the cases get worn out. Always gotta have the resupply.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,215 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
We are of the same mind, perhaps in a bit different order, and each step may have days/weeks/months between them . . .
  • I tumble first, right after I get home from shooting (I don't wet tumble).
  • I'll sort by headstamp/mfr after they're clean
  • I'll spend a day decapping/resizing several hundred cases
  • Once I get a pile of cases decapped, I'll trim/ream them
  • Then I'll prime as many as I can stand with the hand primer
  • Now it's nice to have a bunch of primed cases, and I can load the various recipes

I still buy factory ammo, because at some point the cases get worn out. Always gotta have the resupply.
Yep, I think this is a more common way to reload than many non-reloaders think.
It seems that many people who have never reloaded think it's a job where you have to go from start to end in one sitting.

I've had discussions on other forums about how reloading can be broken down into steps taken over a long period of time if the reloader wishes.
A few people said they had always assumed it was a task that you just had to finish once you started with no "break" in between.

Our methods are pretty much the same, yes, I only decap first because the wet tumbler cleans the primer pockets.
I built my own tumbler on the cheap and it can hold anywhere from 1000 to 3000 or so pistol cases at a time depending on caliber so I will decap maybe a couple hundred at one sitting on an evening when I can't sleep or on a rainy day where there's not much else to do, then just add them to the bin of the same caliber and wait til I get enough to run the tumbler.

I also still buy factory ammo, and I can be selective about it, waiting for a good deal since I don't really need it.

Getting 2000 rounds worth of ammo out of a $20 pound of powder is a heck of a cost savings.
Reloading has saved me who knows how much money over my lifetime.
Using scrounged components I'm still loading 9mm for less than .10 a round, the last batch I used some bullets and primers I bought at an estate sale and that brought my cost down to right about .05 a round.

$2.50 to $5 a box for 9mm to blast away?
I can find the time for that!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
because we don't like fussy nitpicky finicky jobs. if you need me to pay attention to detail, pay me.
because we don't want mass quantities of powder in our shop next to the cutoff saw
because we need our limited shop space for something else
because we know what the grandkids will do when they get their hands on a can of powder: the little thugs will do what we did. eyebrows grow back, but the explaining gets tiresome.
Well...reloading is not for everyone. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages however...in my humble opinion. Reloading ammo isn't rocket science and it isn't dangerous. There are storage instructions and cautions on each 1 pound can of smokeless powder....so I'm not sure why you are afraid of it. Smokeless powder is actually safer to store than gasoline. Black powder is different altogether.

I'm older and been through many ammo shortages...for other folks. I've never been without ammunition. When I was younger i simply couldn't afford factory ammo for my .45 ACP or .44 mag. When I was stationed in Spain in the 80's, I shot a .45 ACP in practical pistol meets. At times I would go through 1k rounds per week in practice...all reloads. I was single and cast the bullets so shooting .45 was cheaper than .22 LR. Lead was collected from the range in 5 gallon buckets and I had an electric smelter.

The shooters who relied on factory ammo arriving at the base Rod & Gun Club scrambled and waited in line to get the limit of 4 boxes...200 rounds. I still have the Dillon 550B press I bought in the 80's and used in Spain and use it a lot. I also use Lee single station presses and a Lyman turret press.

And realistic ammo needs for self defense don't require 10's of thousands of rounds...I'm thinking family needs here. One pound of handgun powder can load 1400 cartridges...assuming a general powder charge of 5 grains per cartridge. Different powders require different charges so the 5 grains is just generalization. Rifle cartridges require generally quite a bit more powder though.

But...you are correct in that if you don't trust yourself or have children around you can't control...best not to tempt them. I had both my son and daughter helping me load ammo when they were young...5-6 years old. Then we would go out and shoot some of the ammo they helped me load. They BOTH went through a crap ton of 9mm as they grew...all reloads. It was fun family time...both reloading and shooting. I've been reloading for 40+ years now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPigpen View Post
There is validity in owning guns that use a common caliber as well as guns that use uncommon calibers for situations like this and other scenerio's.

However, we must all have the mentality and plan like what you have will be all you will ever get, no matter the item.
My thoughts exactly
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,082 Times in 915 Posts

One reason I learned to reload was that I could find reloading components here and there when assembled ammo was in short supply. I could cobble together tens of thousands of rounds to hand load at low cost.

I couldn't possibly afford to buy factory ammunition for what I have actually shot. I did, obviously, afford what I hand loaded.

Also, the handloads were all match grade.

I think I became the stereotype basement loader during Obama's reign. He makes a speech, I'm in the basement loading ammunition. It was rather cathartic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 36,471 Times in 10,140 Posts

My response to the OP. Yes I have finally acted upon my vague plans to consolidate site calibers.

I used to own rifles in two dozen different calibers, some of them rather rare. Five yrs ago I started selling off the oddball rifles, and focusing on just four (22LR, 7.62x39, 270, 308 win). I also finally bought an M1a.

I handload, so ammo cost and availabilitywas never the issue. But I did want to standardize in order to cache spare weapons and ammo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: