I can't afford an underground bunker...now what? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to treat an Underground Bunker? windchaser Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 11-29-2016 05:00 PM
underground bunker???? hossxxx DIY - Do It Yourself 45 09-15-2016 02:05 PM
Underground bunker with skylights. Q&A mystikspiral99 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 42 08-19-2016 03:49 PM
Amazed...Underground Bunker. SleepyTom Urban Survival 17 04-15-2012 02:36 PM
Underground Bunker or Bust? XVasheX Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 01-09-2012 04:59 PM
Underground Bunker Ideas? Kevin74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 12-28-2010 11:12 PM
Underground bunker/shelter urban1 New Member Introduction 11 07-16-2010 02:31 PM
Do you know how to construct an underground bunker? Eevee Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 9 12-17-2007 12:59 AM

Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,986 Times in 3,762 Posts

Advertise Here

Use your money to insure your children can learn skills that you yourself are not able to do.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't have an answer to your dilemma as it seems that you are attempting to go underground on a piece of land you already possess. For all of you who do not have that piece of land and are wanting an "underground bunker" i have a piece of land for sale that just happens to have a cave excavated on it
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 7,237 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave4sale View Post
I don't have an answer to your dilemma as it seems that you are attempting to go underground on a piece of land you already possess. For all of you who do not have that piece of land and are wanting an "underground bunker" i have a piece of land for sale that just happens to have a cave excavated on it
What area would that land be ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

How many people are you trying to shelter that you need a 65,000 shelter. are you sheltering against blast or fallout?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,512 Times in 613 Posts

[quote=Run4Cover;3225782 Also for FLOODING . It just makes sense to go underground for a better chance of survival. (CJ06)[/quote]

You may want to rethink that one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LEPER For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,663 Times in 3,315 Posts

i think i would harden my house by 1st puting in hurrican screens over the windows

and i would strengthen my door

i would also put up a 6-10 ft fence completely around the house. if you notice most all 3rd world homes have a solid concrete fence completely around their homes.there is a reason why they do this

frankly i highly dought anyone is going to carry any kind of heavy saws to cut your house floor to get to your basement while they are going house to house looting. specially if they dont know its there. i would either make a fake wall in 1/2 the basement and strengthen it or make a secret ent to the basment itself no1 is going to be cutting in to the floor of your house if they dont think there is a basment there in the 1st place.

however i would also look into stopping them from burning your home down as well.if you can put up a fence that is good distance away from the house so they cant throw anything onto the house and have 2-4 large dogs. that will turn most all thieves and looters away that and the owner with a shotgun and a rifle think about the LA riots the asains ontop of their business showing they had guns and that they will use them.no looter wants to get hurt they just want to get a piece of YOUR pie and run. if you show STRONG resistance they will go to an eaiser target.

but i would just harden the house and not let them breach your house. if show them you will put up to much of a fight they will go somewhere easier to loot. why waste time on your house when there are 1000's more to go after 100 times easier

once your house is hardened i would by several rifles even if they are all $100 russian bolt actions and 50 rounds each.and if anything does happen like riots heading your way invite all the neighbors over to keep their families safe and all the men guard the perimeter of the neighbor hood leave the older men to guard the house. if that sounds like the plan i would stock the pantry up well let them see that and share whats there with everyone,but dont show your main supplies in the basement.

or are you wanting a bug-out location to run to? if so i would just build my own. i really dont think you got to much to worry about 2012 the sky isnt going to fall dec 21 2012.but if you sit down and think about it and take your time YOU can build it yourself its really not all that hard to build a 800-1000 sq ft underground bunker. i bet it could be done for $25k. all you need is a small liveing room/ kitchen,1 bathroom,1 bedroom,1 storage room now if you got kids you might want an extra bedroom. the more ppl you go the more rooms you will need ,everyone will need to have a little space and privacy of their own if your going to be in there for the long term.

what ever you do ,always remember rule #1 in prepping.... NEVER TELL ANYONE ABOUT YOUR PREPS!!! do not show them or talk about it at work or anywhere, no neighbors no1 unless your going to prep for them as well. then i would still not tell them because they may talk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Remember The Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Cover View Post
I contacted a company Safe Zone Shelters and they make beautiful underground bunkers. However I don't have $65,000 to spend on it. I can't build my own because....well I just can't lol. I'm left scratching my head....I guess my basement will have to work when the SHTF. For those of you out there that can not afford the hefty price for a "condo" style bunker where will you and your family be hunker'd down at? Any other alternatives to going underground? Just curious.
You can build this for about 10,000 I have a friend that built one very simular by himself.
Now he did build his a little lower then covered it with dirt and grass ,bushes so you can't see it.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
crustulum latro

Thanked 30,114 Times in 6,586 Posts

20K will get the basic bunker built. Less if you play it smart. The more you have someone else do, the more it will cost.
If you could describe the type of land, threat assessment for the area, etc.
You also mentioned flooding. Going underground would be a bad move for that.
You need to give more specifics for a valid answer.
Quote:
@Gunner you made alot of sense....so do u have a bunker underground or did you fortify your basement(safe room)? @MuleSkinner I can afford about $30K tops for an underground bunker. I was looking into getting one because what if 2012 does actually happen...my goose will be cooked. Also for flooding...WW3...Looting...or any other SHTF scenarios. It just makes sense to go underground for a better chance of survival. Someone commented and said that underground bunkers could become a grave. That's interesting...would you care to elaborate on that a lil more?(CJ06)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Prepared

Several people have mentioned building one your self, i would like some more info on that. Alot of people like me, arnt that handy with tools, never having grown up around them. I know how to mix and make concrete, and working a bobcat i can learn, but you need more then just that. I know nothing of being a electrician or plumber, or of the most important aspect of this and that is wood working. Your going to have to build wooden molds to pour the concrete into so that you make your bunker... Not everyone here is a construction worker, I would be completely screwed if i were to rent the equipment and attempt it.

Were and how do you go about learning these skills so that you can build this crap your self? Id love to make my own shelter, or hell anything truthfully but am all thumbs when it comes to tools.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Remember The Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kframe View Post
Several people have mentioned building one your self, i would like some more info on that. Alot of people like me, arnt that handy with tools, never having grown up around them. I know how to mix and make concrete, and working a bobcat i can learn, but you need more then just that. I know nothing of being a electrician or plumber, or of the most important aspect of this and that is wood working. Your going to have to build wooden molds to pour the concrete into so that you make your bunker... Not everyone here is a construction worker, I would be completely screwed if i were to rent the equipment and attempt it.

Were and how do you go about learning these skills so that you can build this crap your self? Id love to make my own shelter, or hell anything truthfully but am all thumbs when it comes to tools.
My friend that built his bought a book online and went to it, done a dam fine job to. he built a dome type 3/4's underground the rest above covered with dirt. I know how he made the top witch is so easy most kids could do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I hate everyone equally.

Thanked 3,209 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfeathers View Post
You can build this for about 10,000 I have a friend that built one very simular by himself.
Now he did build his a little lower then covered it with dirt and grass ,bushes so you can't see it.
Are Nazi's included or sold separately?
The Following User Says Thank You to Category5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I contacted a company Safe Zone Shelters and they make beautiful underground bunkers. However I don't have $65,000 to spend on it. I can't build my own because....well I just can't lol. I'm left scratching my head....I guess my basement will have to work when the SHTF. For those of you out there that can not afford the hefty price for a "condo" style bunker where will you and your family be hunker'd down at? Any other alternatives to going underground? Just curious.

Just as fun hypothetical exercise: Say I had an L shaped Basement, 20w x 30l with a 15w x 5d cubbyhole at one end, concrete walled, utilities already in the Basement so easy access, indoor stairwell, no windows, no other openings to the outside, 8 foot in height, single story stick built house on top.

As far as basement security goes, I need thick, steel re-enforced overhead and walls as well as a door or blast door capable of multiple high powered rounds without significant damage.

Hidden camera's would do me as well to see my intruders. For intrusion, I would add some way to gas the varmints out so they do not have much time to try to enter my abode. Several simple methods of this come to mind. they range from easily obtainable cylinders (from any welding supplier) of CO2, Carbon Monoxide (my preference as they don't have a clue they are dying until it is likely too late), propane (you must be prepared to blow the stuff, and your upstairs away when you ignite it) vented into the top of your structure as you build it. I would also suggest a triple valve system for your feed line so you don't accidentally gas yourself.

As far as radiation shielding goes, I only really need it on top of me. I'm well protected on the sides from all the earth and concrete around me. The top, is a problem as you'll see from the tables in Wiki below. I'm going to want at least 2 feet of concrete over head. That means steel Ibeams for anything of size and they can get expensive. I could substitute concrete columns to hold the roof up but that means more steel rebar and concrete so the cost is probably a wash. I lose interior space as well. Actually, 2 feet thick is probably inadequate for the ugly doses of rads I could get but much better than a stick built house.

Because I have the skills to complete the work myself, it will be a DIY so no labor. Add 30-70% to the total for contracting the job out. Be aware, contractors typically add a percentage to the materials costs as well as labor.

So say I want to put a DIY 20x15 room at one end, I would need to build one concrete wall and cover the top. The easiest way for me to access the top is to rip up the sub-floor in the house above the area I wanted to put the concrete roof over. I'm thinking that concrete load by the yard is running about $100 a yard now, it may be more or less but lets use that for a value point. Given my dimensions, I'm going to need about 600 cu feet of concrete for the roof alone, which is about 22.2 yards. Then the wall of 18 inches thickness along the front, not accounting for the door comes to about 30 cubic feet which is about 1.1 cubic yards. Lets say 24 yards @ $100 works out to about $2400 for the concrete. Also have to figure in about 6-8 hours of a concrete pump truck, say $800 (yes, the damn things are expensive to hire. Also, keep in mind that when you order a yard of concrete, be prepared to get it as it has to be out of the truck on the return, even if it goes on the ground. There are occasions where the drivers knows someone who wants the overage but this is rare.)

I don't know the price for Ibeams but lets assume they are about $500 delivered for a 15'x1' beam. (Now I've got to figure out how I'm going to get them inside from outside? That's a lot of heavy steel.) Say I need 5 of them; that's $2500 for the beams (I'm not an engineer but I could figure the load stresses roughly but I'd leave this important calculation to a engineer). Figure another few hundred bucks there. I'm also going to need a lot of rebar. 3/4" and 1", say I'd need 500 of them, probably more (more cash to the engineer). Let us budget another $1000 for the rebar. Personnally, I would double that amount but we will use the $1k figure for this scenario. I would also use 5000 psi concrete as well as some RF screening of some type. (I would want to pour an extremely strong wall as it is holding up all that steel and concrete.)

Now the air filtration is about $3700 plus freight for the one I want. The can be had from Safecastle for about $1500. Propane genny runs about $3000 and the 100 gal propane tanks run $120 a piece (No way am I going to get a 250gal Propane($800) tank down there) so I would want about 10 of them. That's another $1200. I suggest propane as it is the longest lasting, best stored (safety) fuel currently available. I haven't even priced in a blast door (to keep peeps, bullets out more than blast). Will be a few extra grand I'm sure. Anywhere from $1k to $5k.

$200 for an upflush toilet; shelving, beds, freezer, plumbing, electrical venting, ect (I in a no risk blast area so I don't need an overpressure valve but I could have significant fallout from Nuke Plant 300 miles away or the Air Force Base 100 miles away if the wind was right ) other misc inside stuff. Lets figure about another $2000 for this stuff.

So grand total, for me doing it will run a tad under $20k @ $19,500. This could vary by design or item cost changes but should be good enough for an estimate on this scenario. As I always add 15% or more to any project budget for fudge up items, I would safely guess around $23k-24k without a blast door or paying the engineer for a DIY. You could change things as needed for your price target.

(EDIT: I acknowledge I left out an escape tunnel as well as a hyd ram to open the bunker door, this was an off the top of the head post. There are probably dozens of things I would add if this were my actual bunker so apologies. Maybe some other astute thinkers can add additional items and their estimated costs to this thread. I do think these items are important but the concept here is to show that it can be dones somewhat below the $65k you were quoted. I'm not sure $65 included installation either. )

YMMV
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,962 Posts

You don't mention anything about being fully prepped with everything else you need for survival ....... Cart before the horse?
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kframe View Post

I'm of the mindset that you might adjust your thinking a bit to being willing to fail a bit.

I learned all of my skills through the school of experience. I did projects which were out of my league, saw where it didn't work, and fixed it the next time. Experience is the biggest factor in developing your mechanical skills. Books from the library are always on my list for any project I take on.

Get the book, read and follow what is said, see the things one did wrong when she's done and we're ready for the next project. Books with illustrations and pictures help a lot. I learned through trial and error.

The first step is to commit and purchase the projects materials, then it's either let them rot or build the damn thing.

Allow yourself to screw up. You're learinin the skills.

"Wisdom comes from the experience of screwing stuff up enough that one recognizes where the problems are going to lie in the next problem."
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Remember The Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category5 View Post
Are Nazi's included or sold separately?
And what the hell is that supposed to mean??
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfeathers View Post
And what the hell is that supposed to mean??
I cannot speak for the poster but I think it was about the thought that the Nazi's used similar concrete structures of all sizes during WW II. That was how I thought about it when I read the post. I think the poster was responding to this pic.

Just sayin...
The Following User Says Thank You to firestat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 92,824 Times in 24,451 Posts

There are alternatives to hiding in the ground

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Hiker

An underground dome would work best. A buried culvert would work ok. Personally, I've thought of digging down 12-15 feet and building a 20 foot A-frame cabin with the top out of the ground for an entrance/exit. Add a ladder(or elevator) and concrete around a big solid steel door. It might be simpler than trying a more complicated dome.

In my opinion, if you're burying it, it's for radiation shielding and bomb protection. I don't think burying a shipping container under 2 feet of dirt quite covers it then.(Although I wouldn't mind having one...) If TSHTF, there will be radiation problems. Think of how much effort it took to stabilize 3 reactors in Japan. Even if they aren't damaged, reactors take a constant power supply and supervision to stay shut down. When that support structure is gone, so are those plants. An A-frame design would increase the level of protection at the very base level over shallower designs.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Default shelter

Have you ever considered buying a used shipping container? one can be had usually for less than 1500.00
I would recommend a 40' unit
I`m thinking of buying one and burying it in a hill side or in the ground. you can cut it weld it do what ever you want to it add a air filtration sys. water collection and purification sys. sleeping qtrs, & kitchen and don't forget a table for a ham radio. the rear doors are water tight, so you can bury it completely after you deck it out install a ladder with a submarine type hatch on the top. maybe even a emergency backup exit, fill with food & water & you are all set! but don't forget a bathroom of some sort!
The Following User Says Thank You to maxmopar426 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Remember The Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestat View Post
I cannot speak for the poster but I think it was about the thought that the Nazi's used similar concrete structures of all sizes during WW II. That was how I thought about it when I read the post. I think the poster was responding to this pic.

Just sayin...
Good God that's not even a Nazi bunker, how dumb