WWII British Auxiliary Units (Hidden Bunkers / Cache) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auxiliary (reserve) Sheriff's Deputy penguinman000 General Discussion 30 09-22-2017 09:36 AM
Auxiliary fuel tank on a trailer JellybeanJones Vehicles & Transportation 9 06-02-2015 11:25 AM
any one ever seen one of these, WWII British Goblin X Knives, Swords & Axes 6 12-14-2014 08:47 AM
You’re a British / Canadian soldier in WWII, what weapon(s) would you want to carry? Watch Ryder Polls and Surveys 18 11-04-2014 09:40 AM
auxiliary gas tanks ksowayan DIY - Do It Yourself 32 06-01-2012 04:55 PM
Has anyone made an auxiliary gas tank before? fisck DIY - Do It Yourself 31 08-21-2011 02:22 PM
Auxiliary Power Units Prepperoni Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 02-02-2011 01:41 AM
hidden cache? horatioo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 12-20-2009 02:48 AM
auxiliary battery AK47THUG Vehicles & Transportation 6 06-24-2009 11:50 PM

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Default WWII British Auxiliary Units (Hidden Bunkers / Cache)

Advertise Here

Wasn’t really sure which thread to post this in, but it was really fascinating to me.

I was a military history major in college, and until recently, I had never heard of this. I just graduated from the US Army’s Military Intelligence Captain’s Career Course, and our capstone exercise was based on a counter insurgency based around combating the following model.

Early in WWII, when it looked like Great Britain was in serious jeopardy of being invaded by the Nazi’s, Churchill set up an organization called the “Auxiliary Units,” or AU. These were a mix of civilians and military personnel that would stay behind after an invasion and wait for radio signals broadcast over a “BBC in Exile” for cues to start to act. Secret Bunkers and Cache sites were hidden all over England, and each site was associated with an individual cell of four to ten individuals. Each cell also had passive logistic support from like minded citizens who would not be aware of the AU itself.

Of course, England was never invaded, but the secret was kept for about twenty more years. Many of the member of the AU joined the Army, or went into mainland Europe to train resistance fighters.

The Cell structures are fascinating to study, as are the actual bunker/shelter sites themselves. Many are still in existence today, and some are still being discovered. These are the type of structures which could be of immense value should there ever be a TSHTF moment.

Below are two links to start learning about the AU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_unit (wikipedia - general info to start a study)

http://www.coleshillhouse.com/ (This is the site that almost the entire capstone exercise was built around. Loads of great history and info.)

And of course, you could always just Google it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BcoXO For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 15,137 Times in 4,263 Posts

Nice find! Isn't it ironic that we are fighting someone using a similar operational model?

Leaderless resistence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,358 Times in 1,398 Posts

BcoXO fascinating stuff! Thank you, this is going to keep me busy reading for a while!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,329 Times in 3,543 Posts

Sounds like great idea for preppers to try here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to METALHEAD1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 AM
I hate everyone equally !

Cia set up a similar organisation in Europe after the war called " operation Stay Behind "

In Sweden Norway and finland there was a huge organisation that was active until the late 60s before it was abondened ( what we know anyway ) it could have been active longer
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tankspridd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,466 Posts

there was a program on history channel international about the whole thing with the stay behind and it was pretty good show ..the only british island that where taken over by the germans was the channel islands
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

I tried convincing my wife awhile back to move into an underground bunker on some remote property but she turned it down because she needs "windows"....phssstt....windows...whatever
Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,559 Times in 8,849 Posts

WW2 and the AU are examples of how and why contingency planning developed. Right after WW2 the U.S. took contingency planning to a new level in a variety of fields. One example often forgotten about was our Civil Defense Program. The CD Program was set up in case of an enemy attack or to be used when a natural disaster happened. Back around the time of Jimmy Carter's administration the old CD Program was gutted and thrown away. It took a while but then FEMA, another contingency idea, took the place of the old CD. FEMA is much different than the CD Program because with the CD certain buildings and shelters were pre-stocked with food, water, medicines and so on to be opened up and used when needed. With FEMA, which is a mitigating agency, fresh supplies from other areas of the U.S. are shipped into the disaster area by land and air services to meet the specific needs of the afflicted area.

Now, as to military contingency plans, all of our services have different emergency or contingency plans "on file." Contingency plans involving areas along our nation's coastlines, seaports and just off-shore are generally the bailiwick of our Coast Guard, U.S. Navy and U.S.M.C. Situations further inland are generally covered by the U.S. Army, generally in the form of the National Guard or Reserves, and the U.S.A.F. The Pentagon oversees the various contingency programs and there is often an overlap in some plans where, for example, all the services could come into play in some scenarios. Obviously, if a nuke went off in New York or Washington all the services would be involved in responding to such an event.

What gets interesting is that as we train our military leaders to plan ahead and develop contingency plans those leaders will eventually leave the military services and take their training and experiences to work with them in the private sectors. And that can really be a good thing in the long run for us and our nation in spite of the present bunch in control of our politics in Washington. I would almost bet that many of our nation's corporate leaders have contingency plans that will allow their businesses to survive these troubled times no matter who is in the White House or ramrodding Congress. So, like the British, we too have had our contingency planners in all levels of public and private sectors.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,466 Posts

i have allways have heard this a more of a urban legend than the truth be told..

right after sept 11 ..there was a comment about move everything out of the DC area to the middle of the country that was handle for the nation from defense to everything in between was to move out of the DC area..

for i heard the guys where talking about moveing the white house congress senate and other fuction of the U.S.government in one area, but seal it off from the outside world so it could be protected ..you could no longer drive up and down the streets like in DC ..

but keeping the other country Embasy there in DC area along with a couple basic units of the state dept to handle the Embassy there ..

move all the training academys of the federal law enforcement agencys to one spot in the area to be able to make the cost of training go down with diff agencys haveing there own training places in the area.all on one large military base there so the air force could fly AF1 out as it was need ..

but i have allways heard it was more of a urban legend than anything else ..
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,520 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

Interesting that modern terror cells use the exact same methods as taught by The OSS and CIA in Europe. And central American
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Prov 3:18

Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,066 Posts

While I don't know about the operational structure ,as commented on by Herd sniper,I do know that the US/NATO had what are called POMCUS sites that were large caches of supplies prepositioned for use by stay behind units.Richard Marcinko talks about these in several of his books(he always seems to put some intentional disinfo in his stuff but I have no reason to doubt this).

Last edited by jfirebalrog; 10-13-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: wow it zinged me for marcinko's name
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcoXO View Post
Wasn’t really sure which thread to post this in, but it was really fascinating to me.

I was a military history major in college, and until recently, I had never heard of this. I just graduated from the US Army’s Military Intelligence Captain’s Career Course, and our capstone exercise was based on a counter insurgency based around combating the following model.

Early in WWII, when it looked like Great Britain was in serious jeopardy of being invaded by the Nazi’s, Churchill set up an organization called the “Auxiliary Units,” or AU. These were a mix of civilians and military personnel that would stay behind after an invasion and wait for radio signals broadcast over a “BBC in Exile” for cues to start to act. Secret Bunkers and Cache sites were hidden all over England, and each site was associated with an individual cell of four to ten individuals. Each cell also had passive logistic support from like minded citizens who would not be aware of the AU itself.

Of course, England was never invaded, but the secret was kept for about twenty more years. Many of the member of the AU joined the Army, or went into mainland Europe to train resistance fighters.

The Cell structures are fascinating to study, as are the actual bunker/shelter sites themselves. Many are still in existence today, and some are still being discovered. These are the type of structures which could be of immense value should there ever be a TSHTF moment.

Below are two links to start learning about the AU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_unit (wikipedia - general info to start a study)

http://www.coleshillhouse.com/ (This is the site that almost the entire capstone exercise was built around. Loads of great history and info.)

And of course, you could always just Google it.
I am fairly sure my father was in an Auxiliary Unit during the War. From 1938 to 1940 he was Mayor of a town in Oxfordshire which is in Middle England, - so he must have known that Hitler intended to invade us in 1940. As Mayor he had received survivors from the Dunkirk evacuation.
I have never been able to work out why we moved to Dorking, Surrey, south of London and in the front line for the expected invasion, in 1940, just before the start of the Battle of Britain. he bought a pharmacy there but he was given the title of Gas Identification Officer [a bit of a coincidence since he was gassed in the First World War]. He was allowed to run his car at this tiime and was given the rank of Major. I have a picture of him next to his car.

As a small boy I remember him going out on night manoeuvres. He apparently had an exceptional sense of direction. I recall him coming home and saying that there was a woman in his group who was amazing at setting up explosives. He came back once and said he had been out with a bomb in his car.
After he died in 1963 I found some phials of poison gas in the loft and I had to call the bomb squad.
I really want to find out more about the activities of the Auxiliaries in Surrey and why we moved at this seemingly strange time.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffCarr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 2,218 Times in 796 Posts

I would almost bet that many of our nation's corporate leaders have contingency plans that will allow their businesses to survive these troubled times no matter who is in the White House or ramrodding Congress. So, like the British, we too have had our contingency planners in all levels of public and private sectors.[/QUOTE]

I know that when I worked for GE Capital Mortgage, they had contingency plans for everything. We experienced a full day of power outage once because of a mechanical malfunction which left a good portion of Denver without power. A few weeks after that, they had a complete battery backup system delivered to the office park, and it was big enough to run the entire system for 24 hours stand alone.

We had periodical document pickups from a company called Iron Mountain who archived our crucial work documents. There are entire old salt mines that are used for archival storage because of the stable conditions and the huge amount of space they provide.

We also had an entire backup system of all operating resources in storage just a couple blocks from the main office. We occupied two entire floors in this building, and all resources to get back into operation were stored offsight for what they called cataclysimc failure, such as fire, flood, earthquake, whatever. Jack Welch was the CEO at the time, and I can't see that company changing their policy too much. In fact, it is probably even more planned out these days with supplies and contingency plans to evacuate key executives.

Everyone else would most likely get thrown to the wolves below a certain level of power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilhelm For This Useful Post: