Jard's Garden + hanging tomatoes - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What keeps you hanging on? AKman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 10-10-2014 04:12 AM
Hanging Salad Garden Jojo Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 12-23-2012 02:49 PM
First garden! Hanging out of my college window sill haha aerbourne Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 01-29-2012 03:43 PM
nveagles 2010 raised bed garden and hanging tomatoes nveagle Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 87 01-13-2011 09:34 PM
Groing tomatoes : the begining of a garden |eric| Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 10-27-2010 11:52 PM
inexpensive hanging garden in a small space roro Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 01-25-2010 09:31 AM
Growing on top of hanging tomatoes heehaw Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 05-14-2009 06:11 PM
How high should hanging tomatoes be off the ground? heehaw Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 05-11-2009 08:30 PM
Garden Hint for tomatoes ToolOfHis Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 07-04-2008 06:04 PM

Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory View Post
I tried this upside down tomato thing last year with no luck. Has anyone ever seen where this method actually works? Perhaps I did something wrong.

The upside down tomato plants works best if either you grow the tomato from seed and subject the seedling to some stress or you buy the plant from someone else who does. Upside down tomatoes need a very thick, healthy stem and those that are grown inside don't get those. How I do mine is I put a fan on the seedlings-on for twenty minutes, off for a half an hour. A cheap timer can do this for you. The plant responds by making its stem stronger. the stronger the stem, the better it works in an upside down planter (or anything else for that matter). Most tomatoes are grown inside as seedling (mine are) and then put outside with a minimum of hardening off. They don't get the stress they need to make them form a strong stem. If you grow your own, you just need to subject the plant to some sort of stress, a fan is your best best. If you buy your tomato plants you need to buy from someone who puts a bit of stress on their plants. Look for the thickest stem on the tomato plants you buy and even then you might want to subject them to a bit of wind, lightly at first and then a bit more as they get stronger before you plant them upside down. Any tomato plant, upside down or not, will produce a great deal more if it gets a bit of stress when it is young.

squirrel
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lone squirrel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Im doin this as well. Unimpresive results so-far compared to the tomaters I stuck in the ground regular style.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Jard, I had to laugh when I saw your pictures. You have the same dining room table as me and mine was covered in seedlings too this spring! That room gets the best light so the kids eat breakfast in the "jungle" as they call it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 AM

tomatos will get "shocked" if you introduce them to outdoor while the low temp might dip below 50 degrees, but they are really fast growing type, and will recover nicely once the weather warmed up enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckj007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Ah, that's good to learn. I just picked up an upside down tomato kit, and now I know what kind of plants I need to pick.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM

I have not seen one person that has had success in my area with any kind of tomato this year. It really is the end of the world.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,798 Posts

I tried to grow those banana peppers 2 yrs ago and failed miserably, not one pepper. brilliant effort, so exciting to see they actually exist and that seed packet wasn't an airbrushed drawing of nonexistent imaginary pepper!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Target Shooter

I think the screen might be the problem. It is probably cutting into the tomato stem and killing the plant. The coffee filter you mentioned was probably a non-woven rough cloth so it wouldn't hurt the plant.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleguard View Post
Dang that must be pretty difficult to remember when to measure it. I want to know if you tasted a upside down tomato before. Does it taste the same as a regular tomato?
You just have to stand on your head when you eat it. Then it's OK.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 AM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,510 Times in 694 Posts

I bought 2 of the upside down tomato planters last spring . I used one for grape tomatoes and the other for early girl.

They worked great , the plants grew very well. had lots of grape tomatoes , and the others also , but have not had enough sun this summer to get them all ripened.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Prepared

both my mother and my grandfather have given this method a chance but my mother, following the instructions to a T., had all three die on her, and my grandfather had the tomatoes that are supposed to be realy big grow to about the size of the cherrie tomatoes (isnt that the proper spelling?)

hahaha you say
potato
I say
potato
lol YOUR WRONG (sorry guys I couldnt help but go there.)
Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 PM

In the process of building a raised bed garden for the spring(should find a winter plant but am lazy lol) right now its planned as a U shaped 8x10 with 3ft rows 20in deep Ill post pics before and after planting..
Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourDaddy View Post
I have not seen one person that has had success in my area with any kind of tomato this year. It really is the end of the world.
Mom grew some really great tomatoes this year, they only stopped makin cause of the frost.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,201 Times in 957 Posts

Tomatoes and peppers, especially banana peppers, are very easy to grow whether they are upside down or in the ground. The only real reason to grow them upside is space. All they need is lots of sun and water. Fertilizer isn't needed but certainly helps. You should always try and maintain your soil year round. Add banana peels & coffee grounds to help restore nutrients.
Raised beds are great if you have the space. It helps keep more moisture and it's harder for rabbits to get to your stuff. Also plant some marigolds around your garden. Most animals don't like their smell and will stay away. If you are going to container garden make sure you water your plants daily.

I usually don't grow from seed but have. It takes much more effort to do that but I probably should get back to doing it. But when picking my plants I always try to find the ones that have at least two stems. that way you get twice the plants. I have an abundance of peppers every year and pickle them. My kids LOVE them! I do too. I don't can my tomatoes but I do chop them up and freeze them. They are good for cooking with in the winter months.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
them. . I don't can my tomatoes but I do chop them up and freeze them. They are good for cooking with in the winter months.
great idea I wasted alot of tomatoes this last year(had way more then I could eat or seemed to be able to give away crazy I know)
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM

I did this last summer and it worked out fine tomatoes have no differnt taste
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM

First year with bucket tomatoes. Lots of growth, no fruit.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_0905.jpg

2 with regular tomatoes, 2 with cherry tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes did OK, not near as well as they did in the ground last year. Nothing on the other 2.

Will never do this again. Using the buckets for peppers this year.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Geezer In Training

Thanked 1,961 Times in 813 Posts

I made 6 of these planters last spring (instead of spending $9.95 each for Topsy Turvy planters)... I used coffee filters to cover the bottom hole to keep the dirt and plant from coming out... I put 4 different varieties of tomatoes in 4 of them, banana peppers in one, and a tomatillo plant in one... I planted the same varieties of each in both my Square Foot garden boxes and in my regular garden...

The upside down planters did grow vegetables, but I had 10 times more yield in the Square Foot garden and regular garden... Vines were thicker and put on many many more blooms... Fruits were bigger, with a larger quantity on each plant...

The upside down thing can be done, but dont expect the yield you could get in a container... YMMV

Karl
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Thanked 1,525 Times in 610 Posts

I have always been really intrigued by the hanging tomato idea, but I have never tried it. A few people told me the tomatoes won't hang like it shows in that commercial where they sell you the kit to do it. They said tomatoes will grow up towards the sun no matter what.

I would love to hear from someone that has done this successfully can tell us about it as gardening season is right around the corner for me here in the Midwest.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Consent Withdrawn!

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I have always been really intrigued by the hanging tomato idea, but I have never tried it. A few people told me the tomatoes won't hang like it shows in that commercial where they sell you the kit to do it. They said tomatoes will grow up towards the sun no matter what.

I would love to hear from someone that has done this successfully can tell us about it as gardening season is right around the corner for me here in the Midwest.
Mic, I've successfully raised tomatoes in buckets for two years now. You can get good results, BUT I've never gotten results as good as in the ground with great soil, water and nutrition.
That having been said, ignore the photos on page one, EXCEPT for the 2" to 2-1/4" hole in the center of the bottom of the bucket.
Get a REALLY stout bucket, otherwise the weight of the plant, dirt and dozens of tomatoes will pull the handles out and you'll find your efforts in a scattered heap on the ground. AAArgh!
Get reasonably sized plants whose root system can be forced (gently) through the hold in the bottom of the bucket.
Clip off ALL leaves below the four topmost on the plants.
Have a helper present, with scrap newspapers, GOOD soil. I use MiracleGro Potting soil.
Sit down with the bucket upright in your lap, centered on your knees. A chair would make this more comfortable.
REMOVE the peat pot, no matter what THEY say. Then gently force it up from the bottom.
Hold it, suspended, so that only the remaining top four leaves are exposed out the bottom of the bucket.
Now, your helper gets involved:
Helper lays strips of newspaper inside the bucket to cover the hole, preventing dirt from falling out the hole.
Next the helper begins filling the bucket with the soil, packing it tightly around your precious plant. Fill it to the top! Packed tightly.
Hang it and do your initial watering.
Now, your work begins:
You're trying to reap an amount of tomatoes comparable to a plant in the ground; BUT you're doing it a 5 gallons of dirt, hanging in the air. That's an isolated environment; so, YOU have to supplement nature by:
1. Keeping the dirt filled to the top.
2. Watering EVERY day. The sun can superheat a bucket and WILL dry them out fast!
3. Fertilizing VERY frequently. I use MiracleGro, with the sprayer. (No, I don't even have stock in MiracleGro.)
4. This should have been number 1, but they need direct sun for, say, 6 hours a day. Despite the superheating of the buckets, without sun, the plants don't stand a chance.
5. Talk to each and every one of them; praise them for their beauty, thank them for their hard work. (OK, that's just me, but it doesn't hurt.)
6. Keep them picked, so they'll keep producing!

If you are successful, and have the same luck as I've had, you'll be hooked, and you'll be the expert in a couple of years. Good Luck!

Sorry, no pictures, but you'll figure it out. Just get out there and do it.