Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medicinal Herbs Graywolf Health, Fitness and First Aid 266 02-03-2020 11:45 AM
Medicinal Herbs? Xion Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 08-09-2016 06:18 AM
Medicinal preps.. forgebench Health, Fitness and First Aid 6 01-12-2013 06:53 PM
Medicinal Liquor........ nightwolf1974 Health, Fitness and First Aid 53 10-28-2012 08:09 AM
Medicinal uses of plants BOBtheBUTCHER Health, Fitness and First Aid 11 07-27-2010 09:33 PM
medicinal use of animals! mgd_only Health, Fitness and First Aid 5 07-22-2008 06:26 AM
Medicinal plants speedofl33t Site Information & Suggestion Box 6 05-20-2008 08:57 PM
Medicinal Plants groovygypsy Health, Fitness and First Aid 6 05-20-2008 01:57 PM

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I love this forum

Default Medicinal Smoke

Advertise Here

I'm curious after watching NativeSurvival YT channel about making pipes and finding and smoking plants and herbs that it occurred to me that I may have overlooked something.

I am always working on learning and using plants, trees and such for both edibles and medicinal purposes. BUT one thing I have overlooked is that some plants have additional qualities that can only be employed through their smoke. Such is the way of the hallucinagenic plants mentioned in Carlos Castaneda's books about the teachings of Don Juan.

There are many native tribes that used the smoke as well for both vision quests and medicinal uses.

My question is should I be re-evaluating the plants I know about and others that may benefit from smoking. My thought is that maybe I should have a pipe on hand for such an occasion. Granted I have quit smoking and am not really interested in using it for tobacco unless that provides a remedy for something that ails me.

Does anybody use/carry a pipe and collect, and dry herbs and plants for smoking. Which plants are useful and what benefits do they provide?

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a cheap clay pipe for the medicine bag?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

Thanked 1,033 Times in 522 Posts

Smoking herbs, huh?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

hello you should look at mullin for lungs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amldoc69 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0

Thanked 14,455 Times in 3,021 Posts

The mullin plant is often called Wild tobacco although it is not.. it can be used
as a tobacco substitute.. I am currently working with an Anishabe elder on
medicine and edibles.. There are many plants that have beneficial medical
properties when smoked.. the key is the mixture, and the intent of the patient..
You should make your own pipe..
I cannot stress this enough though, you need one on one training with a
proper elder on these medicines.. they can be extremely dangerous!!! The amounts
are critical, and you need a guide to keep you from freaking out if things go south,
and they do, I have read Carlos, and Terrance McKenna, etc, but this stuff is the
REAL deal and you can die!! Don't experiment on your own...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toobboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobboy View Post
The mullin plant is often called Wild tobacco although it is not.. it can be used
as a tobacco substitute.. I am currently working with an Anishabe elder on
medicine and edibles.. There are many plants that have beneficial medical
properties when smoked.. the key is the mixture, and the intent of the patient..
You should make your own pipe..
I cannot stress this enough though, you need one on one training with a
proper elder on these medicines.. they can be extremely dangerous!!! The amounts
are critical, and you need a guide to keep you from freaking out if things go south,
and they do, I have read Carlos, and Terrance McKenna, etc, but this stuff is the
REAL deal and you can die!! Don't experiment on your own...
Hey Thanks.

I am not looking at using hallucinogens. I mean for learning more about plants and herbs strictly for medicinal use. There are several species of plants from central america that can kill you if consumed but can be smoked and have a medicinal value.

If you know more about this aspect then I would like to hear from you. Especially if you know about plants and herbs that can be collected in N. America that have medicinal value when smoked.

Again, I iterate that I am not interested in this as a form of mind altering or to abide an addiction. I am looking purely for medicinal use. Such as strengthening the immune system, alertness, detoxify the body, cure or reduce respiratory illnesses.

Additionally the process may not actually involve smoking the burnt plant but maybe creating a steam from the plant similar to the effects of Mentholatum or similar herb to open bronchial pathways, and/or sooth a headache. Creating a vapor or myst from the herb to consume through breathing.

Similar to how the Plains Indians would use sage and sweet grass as sort of an aroma therapy, and cleansing agent.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCoyote View Post
I'm curious after watching NativeSurvival YT channel about making pipes and finding and smoking plants and herbs that it occurred to me that I may have overlooked something.

I am always working on learning and using plants, trees and such for both edibles and medicinal purposes. BUT one thing I have overlooked is that some plants have additional qualities that can only be employed through their smoke. Such is the way of the hallucinagenic plants mentioned in Carlos Castaneda's books about the teachings of Don Juan.

There are many native tribes that used the smoke as well for both vision quests and medicinal uses.

My question is should I be re-evaluating the plants I know about and others that may benefit from smoking. My thought is that maybe I should have a pipe on hand for such an occasion. Granted I have quit smoking and am not really interested in using it for tobacco unless that provides a remedy for something that ails me.

Does anybody use/carry a pipe and collect, and dry herbs and plants for smoking. Which plants are useful and what benefits do they provide?

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a cheap clay pipe for the medicine bag?
You can make your own from soap stone, or what ever. Lots of places sell kits. Crazy Crow trading was one, as well as track of the wolf. I think they also sell some literature on medicinal smoke to. I would also check Paladin Press .
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,504 Times in 722 Posts

Tobacco enema - Blowing smoke up your ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_smoke_enema
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,421 Times in 14,385 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amldoc69 View Post
hello you should look at mullin for lungs
I collect mullein. Dried in a 1/2 gallon mason jar and in small ziploc bags.

I hand it out to folks with respiratory infections.