Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fearless hunter (time to laugh a little) The Burbanite General Discussion 1 09-04-2013 02:18 PM
Questions about first-time prepping.... NovusOrdoSeclorum Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 11-11-2012 12:51 PM
First time treasure hunter discovers trove of Roman-era gold coins..... MIL-DOT Financial Forum 26 10-20-2012 07:05 AM
First time hunter needs help understanding regs in oregon me962831 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 3 12-03-2011 10:25 PM
First time Bear hunter Josh97526 General Discussion 21 02-14-2011 10:45 PM
First Time Hunter TheBostonMassacre Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 26 08-15-2010 09:47 PM
First time for rifle and hunter SkullyWV Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 6 12-02-2009 07:21 AM
First time purchase questions TheRealJobe Shotgun Forum 15 10-23-2008 04:10 PM
a quick question for a first time hunter Mat Firearms General Discussion 7 11-20-2007 04:15 AM

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

before paying for land make sure it holds animals all through hunting season. seeing animals in summer is great but if they are all driven off the property a week after the opener you've wasted your money. there are alot of good books out there that tell you markings from different animals but you need to go out in the field and scout to really learn. when i lived in michigan binocs or a spotting scope were useless cause of the dense timber and grass but binocs will be more portable than a spotting scope but cheap binocs may not have the power you need to see much. finding game means knowing what their needs are and starting there. the most scarce resource is best whether that's food, water or cover in your area.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 AM

Me and my dad pay a couple hundred each year to hunt 8,000 pluss acres with very few people on it, its definatly worth having a place like that, Im 16 and Ive been hunting since I was about 8 and Im constantly on there driving around, hiking, hunting, or shooting, having land like that is also an awesome place to practice survival skills.

+1 on finding someone with hunting experience, I'd say find someone friendly at youre local hunting/sporting goods place and pick their brain, as for tracking I do it year round.

One thing I havent seen anyone mention is SHOT PLACEMENT. That is probably one of the most key things you can learn, for white tail follow the front leg up to the center of the chest cavity, if you get a bad shot your deer is going to run and the meat will probably tase like crap, plus tracking a wounded deer on unfamiliar territory is not only dangerous but it sucks for a first time experience.

The only way you can really get more knowledge is to spend some time out in the woods. Take what you learn from all of this and go out into the land youre going to hunt and spend some time out there, look for sign and get used to the land youre going to be hunting. Squirrel hunting is a really good way of practicing your skills too. The adrenaline before the shot or "buck fever" as I call it is going to be hard to overcome but its a rush like no other, its addicting!

Some gear that I havent heard mentioned is some type of gear to help you drag the deer out if it does run a ways on you, I carry a full body harness with a tow strap on it that ties on to the deer to help with that. A good seat cushion isn't a bad idea either, I carry a therma-rest inflatable seat and I cant tell you how many times its saved my butt, literally!

Lastly respect your kill, use as much meat as you can and this may be just me but after I get to the kill I take a little time to knell next to it and thank God for giving me the animal and whatever else may come to mind.

Happy Hunting!
Matt

If you've got any questions feel free to PM me man, that is if I can figure out how to get there haha
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,353 Posts

[QUOTE=Packaged Chaos;4184597]I'm looking to start hunting in West TN this season. I think I can get on to a hunting lease with stands already setup. It is 1st come 1st serve but only about 15 members allowed from what I understand. The cost is $600/year for 2000 acres.[QUOTE]

Always be on the look out for opportunity's. You never know what you will find. Also check with the game dept. for opportunity's , as well as special hunts.

[QUOTE]I am also making a gear lists of stuff to take. My Droid 2 Global has GPS but it may not be as good as a dedicated one. I'd like to be able to mark all the stands with waypoints on a custom map somehow. Hopefully I can use this so I can spend my money on other things I will need initially. I ordered a Topo map of my area but it the standard USGS so not really focused in on the hunting preserve (more like most of the county). What other gear do you take with you on a hunt?[QUOTE]

Pretty stock answer here. Compass, knife, extra ammo/arrows, knife sharpener, lighter, water snacks. The norm. Try and get familiar with your map. Laminate it and try and mark your spots and give a copy to your family.

[QUOTE]What are the ways you learn to track deer, turkey, hogs? Good books or videos. When do most start scouting for signs?[QUOTE]

All are good. Watch/read one, then go scout your area applying what you learned. We scout year round.