MRE components as storage food - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
detached storage building for food storage lone star defender Food and water 6 08-07-2014 05:41 PM
Are there books/websites on long term food storage/supply storage and shelf life ??? tuvalu Food and water 22 01-14-2013 05:18 PM
January Special Ready Rack (for Food Storage and 72 hr Kit Storage) 40% Off NovaReady For Sale 0 01-04-2013 02:54 PM
Prepping: Long term storage food from Canneries and short term storage discussion. sharpie443 Food and water 7 06-13-2012 10:29 AM
How much REAL food do you have in your food storage? fcb98292 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 47 03-07-2012 03:06 PM
Storing food since 1987 - Food Storage Results Micah525 Food and water 12 07-09-2011 10:22 AM
Are You knowingly Storing Food From China Verses "Components?" NiraBlue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-26-2011 02:59 PM
Question regarding legal amounts of food storage and ammo storage.... bamajew General Discussion 30 12-09-2010 05:00 PM
Food Storage? bladeguy Urban Survival 8 03-17-2010 07:36 PM
Food Storage vs. Food Rotation BackyardRambo Food and water 6 11-03-2009 02:56 PM

Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Default MRE components as storage food

Advertise Here

For a few years now I've been worried about the decline of our country, and with recent events it looks like time is getting short. I've only been prepping for roughly a year now so I'm not even close to where I would like to be prep wise. With my budget and timeline I think we have, I'm choosing MRE's as storage food.

Here's my particular situation. I live in a small city, pop. roughly 200,000. In a SHTF situation if time permits I hope to bug out to my rural hometown with a pop. of about 3000. Based on that, I'm making my own slimmed down MRE's by buying individual items from MRE's. I store the MRE's (and most of my other preps) in lockers that can easily be wheeled out and loaded up in the SUV.

What I'm asking for is any input you might have on places to get MRE components, tips on storage or experience you might have with MRE's. If anyone here is prepping like this let me know. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts

Why not just store most of your food/supplies at your BOL? Why would you want to be such a target after things get ugly?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 AM

My main concern is not being able to bug out. If it hits too quick, then I'm stuck at home with little supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to digitaldirtdog For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldirtdog View Post
My main concern is not being able to bug out. If it hits too quick, then I'm stuck at home with little supply.
Gotcha.. Just be real carefull about leaving the city with an SUV full of items that the raiders are looking for...Just remember that the cities will be the first to errupt and all cities are right next to interstates/major roadways..Once the stores are looted, the highways will be next..

This will be a problem for you and all city dwellers...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 153,035 Times in 44,569 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If budget is an issue, then MREs are not a good choice. They are not very cost efficient for what food value you get. They don't store as long as many other food options. They're bulky. And they play hell on the digestive system long term. MREs are great for short term emergencies, or a quick meal without any work. But they come up lacking in many ways as a major part of your food supply.

Before committing to them, I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the forum page, and poking through the many threads on food storage here. There are a LOT of long term storage options that are cost effective, space efficient, and nutritious.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 40,289 Times in 7,983 Posts

Personally, I would not focus in MREs - they are expensive, and shelf life is greatly affected by heat.

But then again, I have like 12 cases of MREs, so I can not say too much.

If you want individual parts, check the local GI surplus stores, ebay, and emergency essentials.

My grab and go food preps are turning into a mixture of MREs and mountain house 7 year pouches.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,788 Times in 1,669 Posts

Well, I would reconsider MRE's as your sole/primary food stockpile. The are not cheap, and they don't have that long of a shelf life. But, they are handy.

With that said, if you score on oatmeal cookie bars, let me know. They are a gift from the war gods....
The Following User Says Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post: