Herb Questions - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Herb Drying lawdog300 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 15 12-06-2017 05:18 PM
My medicinal herb learning and questions LittleMissSunshine Health, Fitness and First Aid 19 09-12-2014 08:41 PM
Herb Seed shootnstarz Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 03-21-2012 08:49 AM
My first herb garden Kenzie's Momma Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-16-2011 08:26 PM
Herb In The Bible. IrishCope Religious Discussion 262 01-18-2011 08:44 PM
Herb Book rina Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 03-13-2010 12:25 PM
A****aba - A healing herb with b12 roro Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 11-03-2009 03:30 PM
Herb Garden ax4jc Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 05-14-2009 05:51 PM
Herb Gardens.... getdahelloutoftown Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 06-18-2008 09:15 AM
Kev have you tried herb gardening? Eevee Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 05-01-2008 08:31 AM

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Herb Questions

Advertise Here

I am thinking of starting a herb garden and i have a few quesitons listed below.
  1. Do you have to harvest herbs each year?
  2. Can herbs survive trough the winter?
  3. Is it better to grow herbs in a green house during winter?
  4. If grown in a green house can they survive trough winter?
  5. What is a list of medical herbs to keep on hand?
  6. What is the best way to store herbs, and how long can they be stored?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM

I am new at gardening myself, but I will share with you what I do know.

Lots of herbs are perennials, meaning they will appear to whither and die during fall into winter, but will come back the next spring.

Depending on the herb and the part you need will determine what and how you harvest it. For example, to make tea from chamomille, you want the flowers, but to make compresses for bone injuries from comfry you need the root. Basil is an herb cooks will walk out into the garden for, clip off a few leaves from a live plant, chop em up and toss them into the sauce with little harm to the plant. So it really depends on the herb, it's uses and what you want it for.

Anything that you harvest for later use however should be dried. Did you ever hang a flower upside-down with a thumb tack on your college dorm room wall? That's about the easiest way to dry a plant. I'm sure some other people here have better ways though...

As far as a list of medicinal plants, I would start with a list of ailments instead and then go looking for the medicinal herbal remedies.

And don't forget to consider wild edibles as solutions to medicinal problems. every part of the dandelion is edible, the leaves if prepared right help with heart and blood pressure health, and i believe the root works as a laxative. And dandelions grow friggin everywhere...
The Following User Says Thank You to Odhinn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,981 Times in 3,167 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghud3 View Post
I am thinking of starting a herb garden and i have a few quesitons listed below.
OK, I don't have ALL the answers to all of your questions, but will answer them the best I can.

Quote:
  1. Do you have to harvest herbs each year?
  1. No you don't, although some will get leggy/woody without a good cutting.

Quote:
  2. Can herbs survive trough the winter?
  3. Depends on the herb, and your location. For annuals (things like basil and other "soft-stemmed" herbs, no. For perennial herbs, mostly yes, but with some exceptions. Rosemary, for example, is a "tender perennial" In areas with cold winters (freezing or below temps, snow, etc) the plant will not survive unless protected from the elements. Thyme, on the other hand, can survive just about anything!

Quote:
  4. Is it better to grow herbs in a green house during winter?
  5. Again, it depends on the herb. Things like rosemary and bay need winter proteciton, and a greenhouse works well for this. Other, hardier herbs need no such protection.

Quote:
  6. If grown in a green house can they survive trough winter?
  7. YES!

Quote:
  8. What is a list of medical herbs to keep on hand?
  9. It depends on your needs. For me, I always keep feverfew, because it helps with my migraines. Other, more "general-medicinal-use" herbs are frequently also used as culinary herbs, so can serve multiple purposes. Best advice is to grow the things that are specific to the needs of your family.

Quote:
  10. What is the best way to store herbs, and how long can they be stored?
This also depends on the herb. Some can be dried and stored in jars in a dark place, while others are best used fresh or have the essential oils extracted. Best advice would be to get a book on medicinal herbs, and read up on the different herbs, their usage, and storage requirements, as there is NO "one-size'filts-all" approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,429 Times in 14,388 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

When you say 'herb' you are discussing a really massive variety of plants.

Horseradish seems to come back real good each year.