Slugs or buckshot !!! - Page 9 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you get cheap slugs and buckshot? Sleepnasty Shotgun Forum 42 10-11-2015 01:10 AM
Hornady 86243 Varmint Express Buckshot 12ga 2-3/4" #4 Buckshot 10rd Box Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-27-2015 09:43 AM
Anyone reload buckshot or slugs? McAngus Firearms General Discussion 1 12-14-2014 04:50 PM
Buckshot or slugs through a screw-in choke? Manitouwadge Shotgun Forum 41 11-03-2013 01:32 AM
Slugs or Buckshot for SHTF? TSnyder5133 Shotgun Forum 90 03-24-2013 10:14 AM
Birdshot as buckshot as slugs longstandingletdown Shotgun Forum 13 06-23-2012 12:26 PM
20 gauge buckshot and slugs limitation daniel paydar Shotgun Forum 16 03-22-2010 12:52 PM
Average price of 12 gauge 00 buckshot and slugs? BJJ_Grappler Firearms General Discussion 14 08-25-2009 07:21 AM
slugs & buckshot - modified choke ? Woodswalker Firearms General Discussion 4 10-18-2008 10:48 AM
slugs, snails and more slugs jaygriff Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 08-11-2008 09:47 PM

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts

Advertise Here

Many people overestimate the penetrating ability of hollow base Foster shotgun slugs. Their sectional density is terrible lending their use to being ideally suited to medium-sized game like deer and pigs.

Shotgun slugs are devastatingly effective against 2-legged threats and should be kept on a side saddle or butt-holder to cover a wide variety of scenarios along with buckshot in the magazine. It takes a second to top-off the magazine with a slug.

If the threat cannot be halted by using buckshot, a slug will even the odds
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,448 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningman01 View Post
Switch to a 30/30 ,no i think ill switch to something more like my AR, Remember the castle law states by any means necessary!
Did you not see that etc. behind the .30/30? It doesn't matter what rifle you use but it would have to be a rifle; sure as Hell it wouldn't be a shotgun!

Also, in that case, it wouldn't be Castle Doctrine you'd be applying but just plain old self defense...As to "by any means necessary" they have to have entered or attempting to enter your domicile or place of temporary residence like a hotel room etc.--just because the SOBs are standing on your lawn doesn't give you the right to shoot them nor if they are fleeing--that would be considered murder.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,379 Posts

Yeah but what threat is that?

Buckshot goes through drywall and I have 8 of those in the tube. I can rattle these off via instinct (shotgun bird hunter my whole life) exactly where I want them,... well as exact as buckshot can be in an 18" defensive barrel.

In my environment I can't think of a situation where I would want to use a slug for defense. There is nothing they can get behind in my home that buckshot is not more than adequate.

If I had a barn out back on large property that had 1" planks for walls then I might consider it however in that case I am not picking the shotgun as my 'goto' rifle. I would take a M1 Carbine over a shotgun using buckshot in that case. I still would not go to slugs.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

That's the great thing about shotguns; their versatility. You can top-off the magazine with whatever load you deem suitable for the situation or intended target.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
+Adcock

True but for people that read but do not post it is important that we are clear on why we are choosing our selections
Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

You can quote me on this:

In my opinion there's no better anti-personnel load available in a shoulder fired weapon than a shotgun loaded with Foster-style slugs.
I've read about accounts of officer involved shootings where slugs failed to halt the threat, but those were the exception to the rule.

Shotgun slugs are devastatingly effective

note the hollow base of the Foster slug on the right
Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM
+Adcock

Those are also the more common and least expensive slugs out there. So, the ones that most people will pickup to have around just in case.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,448 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
well you live in Ca ,so you have a different set of rules to play by,it is your duty to retreat in Ca, but if intruder is in your house you can shoot, but then you have to deal with the ramifications from the deceased/injured party to deal with.
If the SOB is in your house and offers a threat then blow the effing son of a whore to Hell and gone with your slugs or AK or Glock, no biggie, even if they die but be prepared to go to court either way.

Shoot the SOBs on your lawn and miss and hit your neighbour's sedan or window and be prepared to be arrested--reckless disregard for life or property or wording to that effect and quite probably a second law suit by them over the one the SOB or their grieving family will surely sick on your ass.

The chances of missing with a slug or bullet is much greater (not saying you can't miss altogether with buckshot) thusly the chances of collateral damage, due to over penetration, is greatly increased within your own domicile or to your neighbours.