New to guns, need some recommendations. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liam Neeson: Number of guns in U.S. 'a disgrace'; guns in 'Taken 3' okay pamike777 Firearms General Discussion 69 12-25-2016 01:43 PM
Just some ramblings on cheap guns vs elite guns Cougar8000 Firearms General Discussion 100 05-04-2016 08:44 PM
Gov hording guns & wanting to tax our guns. Pawiscoming Firearms General Discussion 8 11-12-2015 09:12 PM
Machine Guns for Country Cops ? 161 Federal Guns for 31 Officers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 07-29-2015 12:29 PM
The Filmography of Guns Documents Iconic Guns in Popular Culture AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-04-2014 04:00 PM
SHOOTING Guns = FUN! ... CLEANING guns = ick .. Sprig Firearms General Discussion 43 02-09-2014 07:29 PM
School officials deeply troubled over guns appearing ON SIGNS BANNING GUNS MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 24 02-07-2014 01:24 PM
Twice as many favor more guns over banning guns to reduce crime KeS Firearms General Discussion 1 01-19-2013 01:22 AM
ATF W Trageting BB Guns and Soft Pellet Guns Standingbear777 Firearms General Discussion 3 03-01-2010 07:17 PM
My Guns and Guns i regularly have accsess to Jester Military Weapons Forum 9 03-15-2008 02:43 PM

Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Default New to guns, need some recommendations.

Advertise Here

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to firearms and was wondering what set up anyone could recommend for home defence and hunting. I also have to consider my budget but just recommend any firearms and I will look into prices later.

I live in Australia, but may be moving to the UK soon, so obviously they are some strict gun laws I have to worry about in both cases. I was thinking I'd like to have a mix of guns that can give me a decent rate of fire as well as have a good mix of power (so maybe a shotgun of some sort and a couple rifles?)

Either way, I have shot before and handled guns but I have never owned any and would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 05:28 PM
RIP Dad

Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,441 Posts

With my understanding of Australia's gun laws, I would say your best bet is a side by side 12ga shotgun. I would say a pump but I've heard that those are illegal or in the works to be banned. Can't remember which. A 12ga gives you the option of buckshot, birdshot and slugs. Birdshot for small game hunting, buckshot for home defense and slugs to reach out. As far as moving to the UK, I'm not sure about the laws regarding owning a double barrel shotgun. If you can move in to rifles, a pump action rifle wouldn't be bad bet. Allows you to fire faster than a bolt gun with less practice.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,513 Posts

My understanding of uk and ausi laws you can't use a fire arm for self defence.

Someone more knowledgeable on the laws chime in.

But as for weapons. A shot gun is probbably going to be the easiest to aquire. Maybe a 22lr rifle or some other hubting type rifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Go to a gun show...

Option 1:

Go to a gun show in USA. Bring cash. Pick what you like, pay for it, move along smartly. Buy ammunition at the same show!

Option 2:

Live in a country that does not allow that, shelter in place, hide in your momma's basement. When the bad guy changes clips, hide or run. Don't make eye contact.

I don't want to sound too mean, but your government's problems were made by your government's elected people!

You reap what you sow. Live under the laws your people have asked to live under or work to change them.

Hide, cower, shelter in place.

Make a gun, make ammunition, work to change laws, buy a gun the way criminals do.

Move to USA, have fun, be responsible, live in a country that has the right to bear arms woven into it's laws..... or?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 123,402 Times in 24,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis99 View Post
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to firearms and was wondering what set up anyone could recommend for home defence and hunting. I also have to consider my budget but just recommend any firearms and I will look into prices later.

I live in Australia, but may be moving to the UK soon, so obviously they are some strict gun laws I have to worry about in both cases. I was thinking I'd like to have a mix of guns that can give me a decent rate of fire as well as have a good mix of power (so maybe a shotgun of some sort and a couple rifles?)

Either way, I have shot before and handled guns but I have never owned any and would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
Whatever you get, also make sure you have a fast boat, a fake passport, and are welcome in a country with no extradition treaty. UK and Australia have a long tradition of punishing self-defense quite harshly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM

Jus clarifying to everyone, my primary reason for owning the guns would be for hunting and recreational shooting. I would only use them for self defence if we were in a SHTF situation and there was no other option. So the guns would be hunting first, defence second.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,034 Times in 6,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis99 View Post
Jus clarifying to everyone, my primary reason for owning the guns would be for hunting and recreational shooting. I would only use them for self defence if we were in a SHTF situation and there was no other option. So the guns would be hunting first, defence second.
Okay, in that case you'll need to define the type of hunting you'll be doing...you'll use a different type of long gun for Grouse than for big game...and as far as recreational shooting I'd start with a .22...

A good flexible solution would be a 12 guage pump shotgun with mutliple barrels...I have a Mossberg 500 with 3 barrels...a 26" multiple choke shot barrel, a 24" fully rifled slug barrel, and an 18.5" smooth barrel for home defense...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelloman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Prepared

^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,998 Posts

A member on another forum I used to frequent lives in England and has a 357mag Marlin Lever action + reloading supplies. I believe they have a storage requirement and a maximum on hand quantity of loaded ammo requirement.

Some more reading for you here:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...biehunters.org

Good break down of what is legal in the UK:
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/...p?f=80&t=46928
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Survivor

How about a straight pull 223 -

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51223173503003

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51123101453754

Straight Pull 308:

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51123100554947

Rossi 357 Lever action:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51218142723001

Lever release AR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBaJr6p3bzw
http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/Guns/2...-Release-Rifle
Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Trapper

A nice over under shotgun would due nicely. A CZ 455 makes a nice target and small game .22 lr. A good all around rifle would be a Tikka bolt action in the calbers of your choice. .223 is a good target round and is useful up to 250 lb deer size game. .308 is also a good all around cartridge and very capable for larger game. I would stay away from military style weapons. I also would avoid lever actions due to weight and complexity, and lack of gunsmith support.
The Following User Says Thank You to D2wing For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
Okay, in that case you'll need to define the type of hunting you'll be doing...you'll use a different type of long gun for Grouse than for big game...and as far as recreational shooting I'd start with a .22...

A good flexible solution would be a 12 guage pump shotgun with mutliple barrels...I have a Mossberg 500 with 3 barrels...a 26" multiple choke shot barrel, a 24" fully rifled slug barrel, and an 18.5" smooth barrel for home defense...
A pump action shotgun, a category C or D gun, is not ok for hunting. They were collected (confiscated) and destroyed years ago in Australia. They are available to only a small subset of the population.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,448 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality checker View Post
Option 1:

Go to a gun show in USA. Bring cash. Pick what you like, pay for it, move along smartly. Buy ammunition at the same show!

Option 2:

Live in a country that does not allow that, shelter in place, hide in your momma's basement. When the bad guy changes clips, hide or run. Don't make eye contact.

I don't want to sound too mean, but your government's problems were made by your government's elected people!

You reap what you sow. Live under the laws your people have asked to live under or work to change them.

Hide, cower, shelter in place.

Make a gun, make ammunition, work to change laws, buy a gun the way criminals do.

Move to USA, have fun, be responsible, live in a country that has the right to bear arms woven into it's laws..... or?
I think you need the reality check me boyo.

Welcome to the USA where you have different laws in each state, Hell you have different laws in cities within that state.
Washington D.C., New York City, Chicago, San Francisco,
New Jersey, Colorado, California,

You ain't the garden paradise of gun ownership and it's going to get worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Survivor

I would contact some of the Gun/Sportsman Clubs in the UK and see what they suggest to comply with their laws and buy accordingly in Australia as long as they would be legal there.

Shotguns are single or doubles ONLY...No semi auto or pump rifles or shotguns.

Get a couple of nice bolt action rifles in .22 LR and something for roos and feral animals .303 British, .308 Win, .30/30 Win calibre max but a nice 7x57mm Mauser or .257 Roberts would handle everything Down Under excluding water buffalo and do so with less recoil. You may want to look at the .260 Rem or the 7mm-08 Rem for availability.

I'm not sure on lever actions but since most, now, are pistol calibres I'd stay away from them since handguns are so restricted...If allowed, then a nice Browning BLR or Savage 99 in a flat shooting rifle calibre would be ideal.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Survivor

Researching online - seems the UK is a little better than Australia in some ways and worse in other ways.

8+1 pumps and semi's are possible to own in the UK - but you have to belong to the right club.

http://www.ukpsa.co.uk/index.html

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/...s_mossberg.php
Old 01-21-2017, 12:40 PM

How's it getting worse? Pick a place that allows what you want.

What is "me boyo" Canada lingo?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Target Shooter

Ever thought about an over under? Great sporting gun. And not illegal in the UK. I do believe you need to register it and get a license to own a firearm in the UK though.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,153 Times in 2,855 Posts

Agree on a quality shotgun consistent with the gun laws in the country you will live. I've fired some amazing double barrel and over/under shotguns with an uncle who lives in the UK. Shot guns are great for hunting, sports shooting and for self defense. I realize there are limitations in your country on such use. But I am sure I'd rather be in jail for saving the life of my family than having them be killed by a thug.

I don't know enough about your gun laws to comment on rifles.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality checker View Post
How's it getting worse? Pick a place that allows what you want.

What is "me boyo" Canada lingo?
Well your reality checker is astounding...Without giving it much thought I'll say Calif for the prime example followed by places like New York City, Washington, Chicago etc..

It's an English (primarily Irish) expression which you'd probably not know as you're speaking 'merican!