Any Pipe Smokers Out There? A few tips from a beginner. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helpful tips for solar new guys - post your tips here budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 231 01-10-2020 12:06 PM
Any flint rock hunting tips for a beginner? vetryan15 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 2 04-20-2014 12:03 PM
Any pipe-smokers on the Survivalist Boards? Dedrith General Discussion 4 10-11-2013 01:20 PM
Pipe smokers. Vacas Locas General Discussion 50 03-04-2013 06:11 PM
Trying for a completely noncontroversial thread: Any Fellow Pipe Smokers here? KarlMarx General Discussion 63 02-15-2013 01:03 PM
For the smokers out there. nateb35 General Discussion 27 10-30-2012 11:17 PM
How are other non-smokers and smokers cohabitating? britzen General Discussion 21 04-08-2012 04:12 AM
Smokers wasniper General Discussion 38 03-25-2012 05:24 PM
Smokers cadethepagan Polls and Surveys 69 03-23-2009 02:48 PM

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,080 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpinpaisley View Post
Anyone grow their own tobacco?

I'm 58 and smoked cigs for many years, quit and went back. I've smoked cigars, good and bad. I really like to smoke when I drink which is about once a week and recently started smoking black & mild's. Have always liked the smell of pipes and thinking of getting one. Lots of good tips here.

Hope to one day be able to distill my own fruit into drink and grow my own smoke. If I could do that, it would be a good day!!
I'm making my first attempt this year. I have about 150 tobacco plants started in my walk-in closet. From the search I've done, actually growing tobacco is extremely easy. After it's planted..........it grows. That's about all there is to it. The tricky part comes why it's time to cure the tobacco. Even this is simple, but requires a bit of patience. Your tobacco should cure for at least 6 months before smoking. Check out NewHopeSeeds.com. 3 varieties plus shipping cost me $12.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
On the way to the gallows

Thanked 12,823 Times in 3,476 Posts

We have our own Tobacco Road here in KY but it's the Amish that do most of the growing. There's quite a bit of handling required, especially stripping, which can give you quite a dose of nicotine absorbed through your skin that you didn't expect.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Always Loaded

I consider myself very lucky to live miles from a very well respected pipe shop, J.M. Boswells. I never knew how popular they were until doing a bit of research. I picked up a new set of blends to try today. I can honestly still say every one of them has been excellent. Of the 5 new blends I believe my favorite is Premium Burley. From all the input I've received, I was wary to try this one as most said to stick strictly to aromatics for now. It is amazingly smooth and very flavorful. If you've never tried their tobacco I strongly suggest you give it a look. I'm planning to buy one of their custom handmade pipes in the near future.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,201 Times in 1,570 Posts

Keeping a pipe is a great survival tool
2 is better,, one glowing and one charged and ready to light from the other.
you do not have to inhale

but you will need to practice a bit to know just how and when to recharge it, or knock it out
but it is one of the oldest ways mankind has of transporting fire from one stop to the next ...

obviously the BIC is simpler,, but without it, or when it drys up... after you make a bow fire,, it is handy to be able to light a fire at the next warming up, or rest break, without goin thru the process again

another way of course, I never see mentioned here is carrying larger glowing coals in a carries or slung container ..you can keep your fire alive this way... and , with a well considered system , even provide warmth as you hike in inclement weather

charcoal works best
The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,836 Posts

If you make it to CO or WA state a water pipe works best for our local tobacco markets.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,201 Times in 1,570 Posts

I wonder if the military guys in WA and CO ,
rather than calling HOO-RAH,, OOO-RAH or BOO-RAH,,
yell out HOO-KAH !!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
bye bye

Wink

Pipe smoking is both a game and a pleasure. I am used to smoke mixtures by Dunhill and Samuel Gawith about English mixtures, they are my favorite.
Flavored tobaccos are dangerous: you can buy a crap spending a lot of money...
The countries I visit several times a year regularly Italy, Germany and France provide much for a pipe smoker, sometimes too much... Usually I come back home with new mixtures or new pipes...
Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 AM
Always Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigante View Post
Pipe smoking is both a game and a pleasure. I am used to smoke mixtures by Dunhill and Samuel Gawith about English mixtures, they are my favorite.
Flavored tobaccos are dangerous: you can buy a crap spending a lot of money...
The countries I visit several times a year regularly Italy, Germany and France provide much for a pipe smoker, sometimes too much... Usually I come back home with new mixtures or new pipes...
I've heard those countries have some great tobacco. I know several of my favorite blends are from Denmark. Some however, are very limited on selection and prices are insane. Same with cigars. Those poor guys in the UK pay insane prices for cigars. Cheap $3 sticks here cost them over $15 apiece. Count your blessings I guess.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,289 Times in 1,958 Posts

My dad smoked a pipe for a while when I was a kid, some of it smelled nice and if I get a slight whiff of it today it takes me back. However, due to lung damage I cant take second hand smoke much anymore. Im not anti-smoking though, none of my business what others do.

However, watching pipe smokers in public, I always wondered why many pipe smokers have to relight them so often? Seems like it would get freakin annoying after a while?? Also, I see pipe smokers (and others, but pipe seems to have the most smoke output of the three types) clenching it in their teeth for long periods while doing activities and they are breathing in copious amounts of smoke with each breath with no breaks, do they (you?) get short of breath from that since the carbon monoxide/dioxide and other chemicals cut off O2?

As a non-smoker, this activity/hobby/lifestyle intrigues me. thank you!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM

K have a very nice pipe that uses filters, and my favorite tobacco is cherry flavored, the smell and taste is so good. K have six total but the one with the filters is the nicest one.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM
dam you party liqour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzy4200 View Post
I just recently took up pipe smoking, and utterly love it. I've enjoyed tobacco in just about every form offered at some point in time. I have been a cigarette smoker for years. In the past months I have been seeking more varieties of cigarette tobacco, and there just didn't seem to be many. Out of curiosity, I started browsing some online pipe tobacco retailers. The options were endless!

I immediately wanted to give this a try. There is only one real pipe and cigar shop in my area, aside from the usual smokers outlets. Of course this just happened to be the one day of the week that this shop was closed. Patience not being my strong suit, I went to one of the cigarette type smoke shops. I picked up a Missouri Meerscham corn cob and 3 types of pouch tobacco, totaling about $15.

After returning home, I tried them all. One I liked, Prince Albert Soft Vanilla, one was decent, Half & Half, and one was not very good, Sir Walter Raleigh. At the end of the day I felt this really could be a great new hobby.

The next day I had some errands to run, and after they were finished, I stopped at the REAL tobacco shop. It was an amazing experience unto itself. The sights, the smells, and the people were something I have never experienced before. I left the shop with five different 1 oz. bags of in-house blended tobaccos for $3 apiece. As soon as I began trying these new tobaccos, I was blown away. These were GOOD! REALLY GOOD! If those pouch varieties were decent these were heaven.

My main points of advice for someone testing the water would be these. Do not try pipe smoking with commercial pouch tobacco. Find a nice local shop. Their tobacco will be of much better quality and they will give you sound advice. The folks I met were so helpful and friendly, and it's always good to spend your money locally. Also, when you buy your first pipe, don't go drop $120. Buy a inexpensive corn cob pipe made in the USA. If you decide pipe smoking is not for you, big deal, you're out $5. Avoid cheap "fancy" looking pipes as they many times contain plastic bowl liners and just taste horrible.

If you've never given pipes a try, check them out, you may be very pleased. There's nothing like kicking back after dinner with a cup of hot coffee and a pipe full of locally blended aromatic vanilla tobacco. Cheers.
www.smokingpipes.com has everything you will need or want in smoking a pipe. I go to there retail store front any time I go to N.Mrytle beach and love this place. to look at there retail store front www.lowcountrypipeandcigar.com
Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,315 Times in 688 Posts

To those who still smoke, consider growing your own tobacco. Personally, I quite JAN 1986. I used to sincerely appreciate my pipe… Sigh.. and still savor the smell as I pass others with a pipe. But, I quit.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 AM
Target Shooter

I smoked for a while when I was younger but have not now for about 9 years. You know why I quit? Lung collapsed and not once but twice second time required surgery to repair. My advice would be just don't smoke, if you absolutely need nicotine then get a vaporizer that can vaporize it from what your packing into your pipe. (I wouldn't risk using the cartridges given what I've heard about them)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,631 Times in 26,377 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Nothing like a good bowl of Danish Delight for the 45 minute ride home.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 7,119 Times in 1,991 Posts

Resurrecting an older thread from a search. I recently took up pipe smoking and love it. It's very relaxing. I got a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke Briar and a pouch of Toasted Cavendish and a pouch of Black and Gold.

What tobacco, aromatics and blends do you guys like?

I smelled a jar of some rum blend that I might try next.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Resurrecting an older thread from a search. I recently took up pipe smoking and love it. It's very relaxing. I got a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke Briar and a pouch of Toasted Cavendish and a pouch of Black and Gold.

I smelled a jar of some rum blend that I might try next.
I've smoked a pipe full time since New Year's 1998. I was a reenactor of the War of Yankee Aggression at the time. After one battle scenario we were back at camp and a spectator had a camera pointed at me, with a cigarette in my mouth. I felt like crap what with all I did to be historically correct.

Anyway, I smoke a blend called Aristocrat. Very rarely smoke anything else anymore.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to kscaddo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,273 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
After 20+ years of smoking some expensive Aromatics I've all but given them up for a more simple form of pipe tobacco.

One OTC I've started smoking again is Carter Hall it's a pleasant smoke, I've also been focusing on Virgina/Perique blends.

If you're not familiar with what's available I suggest this site http://www.pipesandcigars.com/
and try some samplers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 7,119 Times in 1,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscaddo View Post
I've smoked a pipe full time since New Year's 1998. I was a reenactor of the War of Yankee Aggression at the time. After one battle scenario we were back at camp and a spectator had a camera pointed at me, with a cigarette in my mouth. I felt like crap what with all I did to be historically correct.

Anyway, I smoke a blend called Aristocrat. Very rarely smoke anything else anymore.

Regards
My local shop carries Aristocrat. I'll give it try. Also, I got some Whiskey Cavendish. It smelled wonderful. I'm going try it after dinner.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,865 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
That's about as childish as trolling a thread in the shooting section, with pictures of gun shot victims.

Waylander