The Smart Muzzle Brake? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AK muzzle brake Texas Patriot Military Weapons Forum 19 06-15-2015 12:34 AM
Using a Muzzle Brake? PaulKersey Rifle Forum 9 10-17-2014 08:37 PM
Eliminate Muzzle Rise - $70 for a AR15/AR10 Tactical Muzzle Brake (FREE SHIPPING) GearHog GearHog 0 09-12-2014 02:00 AM
VEPR 308 muzzle brake jmanning Military Weapons Forum 5 01-08-2014 07:07 AM
where can I get a muzzle brake?? Bridgetdaddy Military Weapons Forum 10 07-15-2013 01:23 AM
Were can i fine a .40 cal Muzzle Brake???? Insanejecke Firearms General Discussion 5 01-16-2013 07:56 PM
30-06 Muzzle brake Johnny Mac Rifle Forum 10 12-14-2012 01:30 AM
installed a muzzle brake on my ar! whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 3 05-01-2012 01:07 PM
ak muzzle brake mousepad1123 Military Weapons Forum 6 09-05-2010 02:14 PM
AK-47 yugo Muzzle Brake help TMHonfire Military Weapons Forum 1 02-23-2008 05:21 PM

Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Hiker

Default The Smart Muzzle Brake?

Advertise Here

I've been reading recently about new prototype "smart" guns, which to my understanding are essentially automated scopes. (E.g., http://defensetech.org/2014/01/15/u-...-smart-rifles/)

What if you placed this system on an automatic rifle and combined it with what I will call a smart muzzle brake, which would basically be a square brake with automated louvers on each side. Then, when you began firing, the system would automatically open/close the louvers to create force to move the barrel to stay on a moving target? Basically, this system would harness an automatic rifle's tendency to move to make the weapon more accurate.

A person with far more expertise than me might think this is not feasible, but in my mind anyway, it seemed like an interesting idea. Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,968 Times in 2,907 Posts

Why do that when they already have automated turrets that you can mount everything from an M16 all the way up past a minigun? For your system to be effective the rifle would have to me mounted in some way to make it effective anyways therefore negating the portability of it. Also you need to think of how much carbon build up would affect the mechanism as well... just a few thoughts
Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
Why do that when they already have automated turrets that you can mount everything from an M16 all the way up past a minigun? For your system to be effective the rifle would have to me mounted in some way to make it effective anyways therefore negating the portability of it. Also you need to think of how much carbon build up would affect the mechanism as well... just a few thoughts
The idea would be for handheld weapons--I agree that a turret could do automated targeting more efficiently.

The carbon buildup would probably be an issue, too. Perhaps you could swap out and clean the brake fairly frequently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,968 Times in 2,907 Posts

Personally (as I don't know your intended market I will come from a military perspective) you would not only need to ensure carbon build up doesn't affect the operation, but you would also need to make sure that it would need to function after prolonged exposure to salt water, humid jungle environments, sandy desert (if you have ever experienced moondust in Iraq you will understand).

Also frequently taking it off to clean is not a good idea as it will probably have relatively intricate parts that a PFC will have a hard time not breaking/losing... not to mention the fact that repeated removal causes wear and tear on all associated parts and is a real pain in a battlefield environment.

One other thing is that you would need to ensure that the device does not mess with barrel harmonics causing a POI shift with the device installed/ not installed