Something some people forget to put in their preperations - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little things people might forget to stock robH Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 136 03-16-2019 01:53 AM
the one thing people really forget to put in their BOB,seriously almost nobody thinks lemoneyed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 11-30-2012 12:46 AM
SHTF Items Most People Forget to Store Antonomac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-14-2012 01:19 PM
Forget about defense from people for a minute, what about defense from wild animals? Marooned Firearms General Discussion 41 12-01-2010 02:45 PM
Winter Preperations. BOBtheBUTCHER Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 10-25-2010 09:58 AM
Never Forget: Bad Wars Aren't Possible Unless Good People Back Them FXjohn Political News and Discussion 24 09-24-2010 03:20 PM
Sabbath Preperations MotherEarth Religious Discussion 38 07-24-2010 01:58 AM
Organizing your preperations icaris Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 02-02-2009 10:58 PM
Preperations for Foster Children rncmomx2 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 09-25-2008 05:09 PM
Drugs for Preperations scarcherpilot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-22-2008 11:19 AM

Old 10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,154 Times in 450 Posts
Default Something some people forget to put in their preperations

Advertise Here

Here we go again folks. I've noticed alot of folks on here talking about their "provisions" for a survival type situation in case of shtf.

I've seen alot of talk about weapons, canned foods, dehydrated foods, gas, electricity, and even primitive food stores.

The one thing that I have noticed that alot of folks don't talk about is medical/first aid. When they do talk about this, it's usually a lil first aid kit. Have you thought about goin past the basics? I.E. band aids, gauze, and stuff like that? Does anybody have suture, Body staple kits, minor surgical kits, medicines other than aspirin or tylenol, how about even a set of hemostats?

I believe this is a very valid commodity for anybodies survival. Believe me when s does hit the fan there will be armed conflicts. You will have to engage somebody sometime. Yes, its good to have lots of ammo. Its good to have lots of food. Its even good to have lots of gas. Unfortunately, all that stuff is **** head magnets. If you have it, they will come.

If you think for one moment that you will be able to defend your homes, family, livestock, and other such stuff without having to fire a shot in anger, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!! Believe me when the lead and **** starts flying, somebody, somewhere is gonna get hit. It may just be you or your family or even your friends.

Now I know what your thinking, I don't have any experience with medical or even first aid. Good, great, this way when you do seek the proper training you'll learn a lil better. Now I don't wanna scare anybody and say you have to go to medical school, cause you don't. You can go to your local community college and take what they call a first responder course. This will not make you Doogie Howser or Dr. House but it will greatly improve your chances and your knowledge.

Give this some thought.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Off-roadie

+1 on thatn, i have some good 1st aid junk, but need to get some thing from mezico one cant buy here in the states for the big stuff...
Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Hunter

Default something I should also add for this post

U.S. cavalry store has an m-17 medics bag. Also they sell an emergency minor surgery kit. Both the bag and the kit have some sutures in. You can go online and search for sutures [ they are legal ]. Now with mine I did add a few things. I put in a box of tampons, Yes tampons, not for the monthly visitor of females but for what they are made to do. Contain and sometimes even stop blood lost. Threw in some doans backache pills and some extra strength tylenol. I also have added a few more extra hemostats and even a couple of disposable scalpels. Also added some more sutures. If you can sew even a lil you can put in sutures, just remember not to go to deep and to close to the wound.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the gambler For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM

First responder treating a GSW?!?!?! Being a paramedic, and one who has treated SEVERAL GSW's, I'm telling you w/o quick surgery, you're most likely finished. If the blood loss doesn't kill you the sepsis will.... I have IV supplies, antibiotics minor surgery kits and about everything else you can think of and I'd still have a helluva time effectively treating a GSW!!!

It's not like the movies boys.....
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 535 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
small "l" libertarian

Thanked 1,688 Times in 713 Posts

Well, my youngest daughter is a nurse, and studying to be a surgical assistant. Once we talk to her about prepping (probably the next time she comes out), we're counting on her to be the "medic" in our group and to make the list of medical supplies that we need.

Of course, if the SHTF very soon (as looks quite possible), then it will be too late, and we'll just have to go with what we got...but that's my longer term plan, if indeed it turns out we have more time.

I have to admit that we only recently started prepping, so we're pretty far behind. In fact, it was this economic crisis that spurred us into activity, but about 2-3 months ago, when it looked like things MIGHT be bad. I didn't think things would go this far this quickly though.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Say no to NWO PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 View Post
First responder treating a GSW?!?!?! Being a paramedic, and one who has treated SEVERAL GSW's, I'm telling you w/o quick surgery, you're most likely finished. If the blood loss doesn't kill you the sepsis will.... I have IV supplies, antibiotics minor surgery kits and about everything else you can think of and I'd still have a helluva time effectively treating a GSW!!!

It's not like the movies boys.....
Please do explain more.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,971 Times in 957 Posts

It is something we have been aware of for quite a long time.
As I said in a previous post, without proper medical facilities and medical staff, anything outside the capability of a well prepared FAK, the knowledge to use it will have some tragic results.
By its very definition, first aid is on the scene treatment and stabalisation of injuries to get the victim to a more well equiped medical facility. In effect buying time for the victim.
Gunshot wounds are very serious whether it is in a limb or the torso. Immense tissue, bone, blood plumbing and loss, organ damage, shock and infection requires skilled medical training with a battery of medical equipment to repair.
Some maybe lucky enough to have some of this available, most of us won't.
It is not like the movies. A shot in the arm, shoulder or leg, just stand up shake the dust off and do the tap dance.
Any war veterans, emergency service members on this forum may say pretty much the same thing.
Any comments?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thedragon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Home...where the horse is

Aw, c'mon...a hot poker, a slug of whisky and you're good as new. Works for John Wayne.

Seriously, a hole in your personhood is not going to turn out good. Do what you can, but if the blood loss don't get you, the infection will. Best to save a round for yourself. An OD on Whisky ain't a bad way to go out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuffhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Default need to clarify myself

I didn't want anybody to get the impression that a 1st responder course makes you a surgeon, IT DOES NOT, but it will give you a better understanding than if you have no training at all.

What I guess I'm trying to state is that in a worse case scenario, total anarchy, I don't believe we will have the medical facilities available that we have today.

Yes a gsw is a very SERIOUS wound and need attention immediately, but if there are no medical facilities available to you, what do you do then? I myself have such medical experience, I was cross trained as an 18d in the army, But I've also forgotten alot in the past 10 to 15 years. Would i feel comfortable operating on a gsw? Today, probably not. But would I do it if I had no alternative? Yes. Hopefully it would come back to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to the gambler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Adapt and Overcome. Even a hot poker and a slug of whiskey is better than lying down and giving up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoUseforaName For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Mother of One.

I have a pretty decent first aid cabinet for my skill level in medicine (ie. basic first aid items with some extras), I have an okay stock of a variety of OTC medicines, and I have been saving up a few prescriptions as well.

I'd like to hear more from others about how they stock up their medical supplies as I've had a hard time finding anything more than the basics myself.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Just a Squirrel

I'm not saying I'll be prepared, but I'm doing the best I can with the knowledge of what I've got.

Vet supplies for antibiotics. College level microbiology, so I know the antibiotics.

Mexico for one prescription med that I need.

Merck Manual cover to cover. My dad's ER texts. ( he was ER Doc and I spent some time in there). College level A & P classes. (Audit them, for fun). Worked as CNA in my youth, so I can start IV, do caths, blood draws, etc.

Suture kit....bought expired needles cheap for practice, and new ones for kit. Read books, practice on foam.

Masks, gloves, alcohol, iodine, motrin, naproxin, tylenol, bandages, tape, , oral rehydration salts, -- WAL MART

Tourniquet , pressure bandages, saline

Looking for: lidocaine, IVs fluids, narcotic pain relievers, morphine syringes, and new script for phenergan or other anti-nausea

Also have non-acute stuff, for colds, flu, anti-nausea, anti-diarrhea. Still need dental stuff, past tooth paste,floss, and mouthwash

It's a start. I pray I never have to use it.

Last edited by SiouxSquirrel; 10-10-2008 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: misspelling/typo
The Following User Says Thank You to SiouxSquirrel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,520 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

i used maxi pads to treat my moms wounds after her surgery when her bandages soaked through. Stopped the blood long enough for her thinned out blood to clot. Got some kudos from my uncle- whos an EMT-among other things.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Wanna practice sutures, practice on a ham.
Do you have any idea how to start or manage an IV? When you need one and when you don't?

Ok this is pretty extensive for a small kit

2 liters IV saline
IV supplies
"2 bags Clot-Quick"
bandages of all kinds,
nasal and oral airways
6-7-8 intubation tubes
14ga angiocath and a Asherman Chest Seal kit
alcohol pads
iodine pads
Lidocane, sutures, skin staples, hemostats and scalpels
multi dose penicillin bottle
phenergan and immodium
bag valve mask
and some more stuff, its basically a condensed advanced field medical kit, and a wound like a GSW would empty just about everything in here VERY quickly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 535 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM

How can you get antibiotics for your supply without a prescription?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,550 Times in 952 Posts

forI'd say that about half of the weight of my BOB is my med kit and personal hygene. I dont have any major stuff quite yet but its in the near future. Our body is our greatist tool so take care of it! i am going to make a verry extinsive kit that will cover just about everything...except for maby open heart surgery. For about $500 you can buy a pritty nice one from cheaper than dirt. It comes with a nice bag too!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,550 Times in 952 Posts

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR316-1.html

heres the link to that bag...ugh now i'm going to have to work overtime and get it...o well!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR316-1.html

here's the link to that bag...ugh now i'm going to have to work overtime and get it...o well!
1/2 of the stuff in that bag is about useless or can be accomplished with something else you already have...

Besides, that bag is HIGHLY overpriced...

As for the antibiotics, a few years back I did some charitable remote medical work with a MD buddy, now if I ask for it I get it, I have a script for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 535 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Ya, about antibiotics. I have a question. Can you use subcutaneous penicillin on humans that is for cows that you would buy at D&B? I have some because my dog got into a bad fight and got an infection, and I was able to fix him up with that stuff, but I'm not sure if/or how to use on humans.

Does any body know?

Found online - is to be injected subcutaneously, preferentially in the abdomen, thighs, upper arms, and/or lateral hip.

This is for humans using an anti-aids medical, so I know it can be done, just not sure if it is safe to use animal grade penicillin.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Try the uscavalry store they have m-17 medic bags for around $150 and they're stocked