Unique way to store seeds... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unique way to store raw eggs for long term storage... cchardwick Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 85 10-01-2017 09:37 PM
How should I store these seeds? Napoleon Armalite Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 04-18-2016 08:17 AM
Can I store seeds? If so how long? Jaegon Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 08-12-2014 02:01 PM
How do you store seeds sapper002 Edible & Non-Edible Plants 9 02-07-2013 02:54 AM
How do you store left over seeds? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 05-12-2012 04:42 PM
Seeds from Peppers at the Store? drowprincess Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 03-17-2010 10:09 PM
How long will seeds store for? oneandonlyme Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 01-30-2010 10:50 PM
How to store seeds for future use? twyggy Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 08-19-2009 09:30 AM
How do I store seeds for future use? Semplice Vita Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 07-01-2009 12:48 PM
How to store my seeds? allforhim Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 12-27-2008 10:53 AM

Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Target Shooter

Default Unique way to store seeds...

Advertise Here

I work in a chemistry lab and we have hundreds if not thousands of different tests that we run. And we use standards for all of these tests. We store our standards in 20 mL glass scintillation vials, basically a small glass vial with screw cap. Then I thought why not organize and store seeds for my garden with this system? We basically use the cardboard containers that the vials come in and label them as "Box 1", and on one side, "A B C" and the other side "1 2 3". So for example my radish seeds will be in Box 1, location C2. Then we organize everything in an Excel spreadsheet on the computer so even with tens of thousands of standards we can search for our particular standard and find it within seconds.

I just bought a box of 500 glass vials on E-bay for about $130 with shipping included. This is five flats of vials, enough to store plenty of seeds for tough times. I don't have the time to start a garden right now but I have money to stock up on seeds. When things get tough I'm guessing I'll have plenty of time to grow that food.

Here's what the vial trays look like. They come in boxes of five trays, perfect for organizing and storing your seeds for your present or future gardens. If you want to go the cheaper route you can get five flats (500 vials) of clear plastic vials for about a hundred bucks with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheaton-9867...item231a7a1671

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 5,312 Times in 1,371 Posts

What do the vials themselves look like? Can you freeze them? I don't know of many seeds that do well when exposed to light or heat. If the vials are clear glass, it might pay to paint them opaque.

Good idea, though. In the past, I've just used labeled ziplocs in mason jars in a box waaaay back in a dark part of a cupboard.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Target Shooter

The vials look like this and have two different cap bottoms. At work we use the inverted plastic 'V', but I bought the foil liners that are cheaper. The best place to keep them is in a freezer. I looked up the national seed storage site and they say seeds kept in the freezer will last a hundred years. The colder the better, and in liquid nitrogen they will last a thousand years, all seeds will still be viable. No need to protect from light if you keep them in the freezer and just open the door once in awhile. You can also keep them in the original cardboard box which will keep them in the dark, all but the time you dig out a few seeds. I like the clear vials because I can see if there's a problem with the seeds such as mold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,023 Times in 444 Posts

I just use empty baby food jars and envelopes. Keep them all in the basement and I have never had a problem. $130.00 I can spend somewhere else. But if you are not using your seed all the time like I am, then I guess it would be good for long term storage in the freezer.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammygene View Post
I just use empty baby food jars and envelopes. Keep them all in the basement and I have never had a problem. $130.00 I can spend somewhere else. But if you are not using your seed all the time like I am, then I guess it would be good for long term storage in the freezer.
I started out with a whole drawer full of envelopes and packets. The only problem is sometimes they fall out of the corners of the envelopes and get all mixed up. And sometimes they get crushed, especially the smaller seeds. And with no organization I'm constantly sorting through all my packets to find the right one. With a box of these vials I can store 500 different kinds of seeds, kind of a 'seed bank'. It will be more of a hobby than anything. And when society falls apart and barter is the only medium left I'll have lots of seeds to trade as well. Of course it's going to cost you a chicken for a few seeds LOL.