Little things people might forget to stock - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Forget to Stock Up at the Holiday Season Prices on Flour, Sugar, Butter... dealfinder500 Food and water 137 03-27-2015 09:16 PM
Don't forget to stock up on hammers, too... Jim Boonie Controversial News and Alternative Politics 15 01-09-2013 12:29 PM
the one thing people really forget to put in their BOB,seriously almost nobody thinks lemoneyed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 11-30-2012 12:46 AM
SHTF Items Most People Forget to Store Antonomac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-14-2012 01:19 PM
don't forget the small things in life.... Robb Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-15-2012 04:35 AM
Something some people forget to put in their preperations the gambler Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 93 03-13-2011 05:51 AM
The simple things are easy to forget wevie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-17-2011 05:08 AM
Common things we forget... Arch Stanton Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 12-09-2010 06:56 AM
the little things we often forget burningredphoenix Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 07-30-2010 06:27 PM
Forget the stock market, look at Gold & Crude Oil Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-05-2009 09:18 AM

Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Banana Republic Dictator

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXodus View Post
I thought about it, too. Then I talked to many people that it didn't work on or partially worked. I've also been told as I get older, yea I'm pretty old now, that you still have to wear glasses some times.

I'm sticking to my contacts and LOTS of solution. Added benefit is that the sensitive saline solution can be used for other things during a SHTF situation.

Good Luck
My brother is in his late 40's and wore pop bottle glasses all his life, could not read something 4 feet in front of him..he went in for the surgury and now is free of glasses and can see better than me... it works.

Maybe not in every case, and no not a suitable solution for everyone, but... it works.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM

Bolt Cutters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Webby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,249 Times in 8,829 Posts

I decided to look up How to info on all the survival skills that I would want to know itshtf. I copied this info and pasted into word then I plan on printing it and making a How to binder.

I have varied info from How to grow various veggies, make laundry soap, preserve hides etc. I read about this stuff often but have a bad memory so it would be nice to have a book stocked with all this info.

If you buy a survival book it will have some good info on it but not everything that you are interested in, This way, all the skills that apply to you can be right there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 AM

There is one that I think most people should have in there GHB is anti-chaffing cream.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 AM

Sanitation equipment! Everytime you let water tun down the sink or fluce your deuce down the swirly bowl you take that for granted. The sewer and sanitation system is often taken for granted(until you get a clogged drain or a backed up line, then you just get angry lol) but honestly one might want to thing of ways do dispose of any control waste in such a situation. Unsanitary conditions can be VERY VERY detrimental.
Now what exactly you stockpile is up to you and your situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHitter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Prepared

A washcloth.

When the TP runs out, you can use it for a long time.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by robH View Post
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
From what I understand, it helps a lot, but the majority of the time you still need to wear glasses afterward. They tend not to tell you that as part of their sales pitch, but it's an imperfect procedure.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm surprised I have not seen this listed here, but I have a supply of painter's masks (the kind that cover the mouth and nose).
The Following User Says Thank You to jbgoode For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Also, I was amazed at how many people were unprepared when Irene struck the Northeast last month. You could not find D, C, or 6-cell batteries anywhere. I already have a very good supply of each, but you cannot have enough batteries (AND CANDLES) when the lights go out.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM

I also strongly recommend that people buy a couple of oil lanterns, along with a good supply of lamp oil and plenty of extra wicks!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM

One other idea that we implemented: We installed solar lights on our deck posts. We have ~15 of them. Those are basically solar battery chargers that will recharge AA batteries. If you buy a supply of rechargeable batteries, you will never be without AA battery power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbgoode For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Knife sharpening kit
To expand on the above:

Get a good kit that will allow sharpening of many types of blades. My kit allows me to sharpen all types of knives, razors, and scissors. In short anything with a blade. Comes with instructions, a jig for many types of blade bevels, oil and 6 types of stones (including a stone for sarrated blades).

I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I bought it from MAC tools years ago.

SKSGUY
The Following User Says Thank You to SKSGUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM

The other thing that I have stocked up on is propane. I have purchased a few cases of the small cans. Along with this, I have a two-burner stove, a lantern, and a few other handy items that use propane.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM

what what what?! condoms don't keep indefinitely read the wrapper man
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I guess my priorities must be different than many.
I see a lot of people mention pet supplies. I can see where a dog could come in handy as an "alarm" or a trained hunting dog, but as far as "pets" go..... I am sorry, but if it gets to the point I am worried about absolute survival for my family, Fido and Fluffy are the last things on my mind, unless they are on the dinner plate
My 2 cats alert me when my daughter starts having a seizure in her sleep, and they earn there keep catching rodents, spiders and other creepy crawlies.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Double tap

Duct Tape
Bolt Cutters
baseball bat (with glove for litigation purposes)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
USMC 4 LIFE

sun glasses, recon hat, the hat can hold water i tested it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bloodwynd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 AM

Brushes - Soft bruses for Lino & hardwood floors, Stiff brissel brushes for rugs and carpets, Chimney sweeping rods and brushes,
Fire extinguisers & fire blankets.
Razor strop and straight razors.
Hair care kits -scissors, razors, brushes, combs, fine tooth combs for removing lice.
Tweezers
Eye glass repair kits
Sewing needles -straight, curved & machine needles.
The Following User Says Thank You to ro2935 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM

From Maxine -

Max is a real handy guy to have around (Seriously, he's a master carpenter) but I still subscribe to the Duct Tape/WD-40 rule. If it moves and it's not supposed to - Duct Tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't - WD-40.
A lot of talk about glasses/contact lens solution/etc. Max and I both wear glasses so extra sets of glasses would be a must. Thankfully, I think both of us could get by with using the over-the-counter reading glasses in a pinch. Would love it if we could both do the surgical route but finances won't allow for it.
Pins, needles, sewing thread. Extra fabric (bolts of it in some cases) for sheets, towels, etc. Someone commented about wash clothes for when the toilet paper runs out. I think more than one wash cloth would be a great idea and cutting them out of a bolt of terry cloth fabric would be even better.
Cord, rope, string, chain, etc. for everything from a clothesline to a pet run.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Internet as a BOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
Antibiotics that the doctor just prescribed to you without really knowing what was wrong and just assumed that you needed them when you didn't.

zipties

I heard laser treatments can go horribly wrong, and almost always mess up your night vision.
Laser treatment worked for me. better than 20/20 and awesome night vision