Prepper database - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there prepper specific considerations in a weapon? Aerindel Firearms General Discussion 184 12-03-2018 12:19 AM
Prepper Tips: Tomahawks and Hatchets AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-10-2018 10:30 AM
The Well Dressed Prepper AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-14-2018 10:00 AM
The Well Dressed Prepper AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 08-12-2018 09:36 AM
The Well Dressed Prepper AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-07-2018 09:30 PM

Old 03-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Prepper database

Advertise Here

I have been looking for a good database to inventory my preps. Something that will allow me to see the overall picture that sheets in a binder will not.Is there anyone out there using one?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootguy View Post
I have been looking for a good database to inventory my preps. Something that will allow me to see the overall picture that sheets in a binder will not.Is there anyone out there using one?

That is good, its all how you want to go about doing it.

I'm actually studying MS Access right now for one of my courses, however, I don't like the idea of keeping a list of supplies for OPSec reasons (no actual enemy just anyone potentially trying to damage my position).

It makes it easier for people to use data if you create it. Any data you create can be used as a weapon against you.

None the less free options

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-easy...rosoft-access/

If you want it as an emergency data source you might want to buy a tablet or cheap smartphone with a relatively good batterly life. Good smartphones like old blackberries have really good battery life and don't take a lot of energy to charge. They also have emergency 911 calling.

Unless you have a real need to manipulate data or track things to the tee, I wouldn't even worry about it. It is just overkill and people will be able to know what you have very quickly if they gain access to the file. Its more of a liability than a benefit.

(If you are tracking for legal reasons such as a business, or you have a prepping community and need to track resources, loans etc.. it may make more sense to have a database. Personally I pretty much know what prepping stuff I have as everything sort of fills a different role.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,965 Times in 10,157 Posts

Have you considered just making a spreadsheet. I have a bunch of free large flat rate post office boxes I numbered and lettered, a stack of ammo cans numbered or lettered by the size of the cans. I made a google 'KEEP' file where each box/can is listed then the contents and I took pic's to further ID the contents.

LibreOffice is free. A spreadsheet would be more searchable, and you could add things exploration dates to alert you to use stuff. An on hand quantity vs desired so you could have a list of stuff to buy when it's on sale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,593 Times in 527 Posts

I use a rather elaborate excel document.....it focus' on a lot of different areas but here are some ideas.
1. An overall inventory list broke out into food/water, medical, tools and technology
2. That is broken out further into target quantities for get home bag, vehicle and homestead. Those are each based on time needed to survive on that system.
3. Since prepping is expensive even to prep for a year.....those goals are still being met.
4. Expiration dates and inventory dates on the spreadsheet.
5. Full calorie breakdown on all stored foods then a daily calories calculation

to start
The Following User Says Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,003 Times in 317 Posts

I'm still all about the idea of 'how did they do it before electricity' as far as prepping. Having some new system just doesn't seem to fit with my idea. What did they do then? Why try to reinvent the wheel? After 5000 year of existence, before Thomas Edison, I have to believe the elders figured it out and got it right. IMHO step away from the database/spreadsheet/computer mindset.

Can you survive the way they lived in 1776? Let this be your guide.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 AM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
I'm still all about the idea of 'how did they do it before electricity' as far as prepping. Having some new system just doesn't seem to fit with my idea. What did they do then? Why try to reinvent the wheel? After 5000 year of existence, before Thomas Edison, I have to believe the elders figured it out and got it right. IMHO step away from the database/spreadsheet/computer mindset.

Can you survive the way they lived in 1776? Let this be your guide.
you are also considering people died at 50 and if they got injured generally died if infection was likely

There are lots of advances since 1776 that have prolonged life and capability.
If you have large amounts of data to work with, or the need to quickly search information computers are great.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Default database

I am thinking locations and expiration dates. I have thought of the pros and cons of it and there are more pros.What brought this about was cleaning a storage area and finding stuff that I had forgot about from over a decade or two ago. Granted you can never have too many mason jars and lids but did not need some of the other things I have bought over the years as now I have an excess of some items.

So I definitely do not want an online database, just something local to one machine. If it would fit and run from a flash drive it would be even better.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,593 Times in 527 Posts

Once you have the spreadsheet formatted correctly.....all you need to do is print it out.
You can run inventory and expiration dates automatically if you are good with excel.
There is a lot of flexibility here.....spreadsheet should take about 2-3 weeks to put together and then you take inventory.

I'm set up with a year of preps...that's all.......my spreadsheet is 16 pages long when I print it out.

You can expect a large prep spreadsheet with inventory and expiration dates to be 50-80 pages long printed in landscape mode.