Little things people might forget to stock - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Forget to Stock Up at the Holiday Season Prices on Flour, Sugar, Butter... dealfinder500 Food and water 137 03-27-2015 09:16 PM
Don't forget to stock up on hammers, too... Jim Boonie Controversial News and Alternative Politics 15 01-09-2013 12:29 PM
the one thing people really forget to put in their BOB,seriously almost nobody thinks lemoneyed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 11-30-2012 12:46 AM
SHTF Items Most People Forget to Store Antonomac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-14-2012 01:19 PM
don't forget the small things in life.... Robb Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-15-2012 04:35 AM
Something some people forget to put in their preperations the gambler Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 93 03-13-2011 05:51 AM
The simple things are easy to forget wevie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-17-2011 05:08 AM
Common things we forget... Arch Stanton Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 12-09-2010 06:56 AM
the little things we often forget burningredphoenix Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 07-30-2010 06:27 PM
Forget the stock market, look at Gold & Crude Oil Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-05-2009 09:18 AM

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Little things people might forget to stock

Advertise Here

- Nail clippers and Nail file...knives and scissors are fine but its so much easier with the right tools.

- Bagbalm or something similar... Imagine yourself doing some manual labor and working up a sweat... your thighs rub together and cause a rash in the nether regions... wouldnt it be nice to have a bit of relief from that... especially knowing how much pain it could cause if you had to make a hasty retreat with a said rash...

- Eyedrops... again, working outside and you get something caught in your eye, would be nice to be able to clear your eyes with something sanitary versus using up your water stores...

Take it a step farther and you could add in a set up protective glasses. A splinter in the eye from chopping wood is a bad thing...could be prevented. (Speaking from experience on this one)

- Gloves, eveyone talks about a good set of boots, but having some work gloves can do wonders for keeping your hands healthy.

Thoughts?... additions?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Also, those who wear contact be sure to have plenty of contact solution stocked too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phantomdan2005 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomdan2005 View Post
Also, those who wear contact be sure to have plenty of contact solution stocked too.
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robH For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by robH View Post
- Nail clippers and Nail file...knives and scissors are fine but its so much easier with the right tools.
Teeth work pretty well too. ^.^
Quote:
- Bagbalm your thighs rub together
odd... I never have that problem...
(Chapstick for lips can also be used to treat abrasions, rashes, and burns*.
*Don't use it on a burn until it has cooled off thoroughly, or it could trap heat and make the burn worse.)

Quote:
- Eyedrops... again, working outside and you get something caught in your eye, would be nice to be able to clear your eyes with something sanitary versus using up your water stores...
Hopefully, your water sources are sanitary.
Never had a problem with just using tears anyway.
Quote:
Take it a step farther and you could add in a set up protective glasses. A splinter in the eye from chopping wood is a bad thing...could be prevented. (Speaking from experience on this one)
Now that is a good idea.
Quote:
- Gloves, eveyone talks about a good set of boots, but having some work gloves can do wonders for keeping your hands healthy.
Also good. I carry a variety of gloves for different purposes.
Not only can they protect your hands, but they can make you better at some things, like climbing. I can scale rocks and cliffs much more easily with the right gloves on.

*edit*
Oh yeah... Bring some toilet paper. Big help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ocalhoun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Hiker

Floss for when it gets really annoying and you can't remove that little critter between your teeth.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tammon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Hiker

~lots of extra bootlaces (good boots last a long time - bootlaces, not so much)

~extra buttons and/or self adhesive velcro strips (& don't forget other stuff to make repairs to your clothing)

~paper, pencils, pens, rulers, protractor, compass, glue etc. (you may want to draw a map or write your memoir)

~lots of extra guitar strings (or banjo, fiddle, bass, etc. - it would suck if I broke a b string and couldn't find anything to replace it with!)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CRC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,166 Times in 3,374 Posts

A hat, I rarely see someone packing a hat these days.

Don't forget your toothbrush and the cards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,417 Times in 852 Posts

yeast
bamboo skewers
cheap disposable razors
paper plates
isopropyl alcohol
The Following User Says Thank You to gallon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Hiker

Extra pillows. They wear out. I don't want to be out there plucking the ducks to make new ones !
The Following User Says Thank You to Tammon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Food Storage Solutions

Lots of wool gloves and socks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo31rex31 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,759 Times in 952 Posts

Sunscreen, bug spray, duct-tape,
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lildrestl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Maxi-pads....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lazarus29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,544 Times in 4,852 Posts

Tooth paste and tooth brushes. Baking soda can be used in replacement of toothpaste but its hard to fashion a decent toothbrush out of nothing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Antibiotics that the doctor just prescribed to you without really knowing what was wrong and just assumed that you needed them when you didn't.

zipties

Quote:
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
I heard laser treatments can go horribly wrong, and almost always mess up your night vision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Odhinn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,521 Times in 1,570 Posts

tampons for first aid kit. Makes the perfect sterile dressing for bullet wounds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,424 Times in 3,682 Posts

In a worst case scenario where replentishing supplies would become almost impossible, there are many things that could be taken for granted at your BOL.

1) Straight Razors...if you are a "shaver," I'd learn to use a straight razor that can be stroped and resharpened, as disposables would eventually become a thing of the past.

2) Sewing Supplies and Cloth...for mending and making garments...you wouldn't be going shopping at the local store anymore, so people will need to repair their own clothing.

3) Binoculars...only occasionally do I see binoculars mentioned in equipment stored for a BOB, BOV, or BOL.

4) Writing Utensils...pens, pencils, loose paper, and or writing pads. Storing info on PC's would be over, so it would go back to putting everything down on paper.

5) "How To" or Educational Books...books that teach edible and medicinal plants, carpentry, shoe making and repair, farming, metal forging and blacksmithing, animal husbandry, leather tanning, firearm maintenance, how to make gun powder, and medical books, for disease identification and injury treatments.

6) Barometer/Thermometer...aside from nature's ways, and before the age of the television and meteorologist, people had combo barometer/thermometers to tell when the weather was going to change dramatically, and storms were coming, and telling the temperature.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SCALPHUNTER For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Aint life grand

Quote:
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCryst...ghtForYou.aspx

I'm in my early 50's and had Lasik six years ago and love it. At a distance, I can see like a turkey. Up close, I need reading glasses. The Crystalens would solve that. But $10k was steep. I can buy a lot of reading glasses for that.

As for the OP, I say stock up on sweet treats. I have FD puddings, shake mixes, lots of chocolate for the wife, mints, etc. The little things in life can still be enjoyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuggit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,823 Times in 5,992 Posts

How about some musical insterments especially those that do not need electricity?
Moral is especially important in catistrophic event ,like sitting around a camp fire, smartly chosen tunes can warm the heart .
Spices for cooking and spice seeds for gowing for the future.
Rechargable batteries, though not as good as alcaline ,are at least rechargable for a while .
If you have cows , a butter churn would be good to have .
Shoe lasts and stand for repairing and making shoes .
There are a lot of gagets and things, found in antique stores that are practicle for living with out electricity , even a toaster that sits on the stove or over the fire.
I have waffle makers for my wood stove, takes about 3 min. per. I know it seems like forever, but their good.
Time for breakfast any way , later.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Hiker

Looking at my pets I remembered we should also not forget to stock up on flea treatments for them. The little ones you put on the skin on the back of the neck seem best and last a while.
Bought some last week and it cost me $160. OMG What a ripoff. Will look for some on the internet in future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tammon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggit View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCryst...ghtForYou.aspx
I had Lasik around seven years ago and I love it, at least I do now.

I had complications. I wrinkled flap that required an emergency fix. I got infiltration of white blood cells (google lasik + sands of the sahara). I also had cronic dry eyes until I figured out that I was allergic to the eye lubrication drops. For over a year I had to put eye ointment in while I slept. I stopped everything and no more dry eyes. I can now see 20/20.

However, I would counter your recommendation for the Crystalens. I would advise you strongly research any surgery before seriously contemplating it.

My father worked for an eye surgeon and they would push Crystalens on patients who were getting cataract surgery. A year later, they sent out a follow up survey to the patients. They results weren't great. Most of the patients regretted getting them.

[/QUOTE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agavemountain For This Useful Post: