SCAR 17: Belgium Barcode or US QR Code - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 PM

Default SCAR 17: Belgium Barcode or US QR Code

Advertise Here

Looking at purchasing a SCAR 17. Of course I ran into an issue between the Belgium or American made rifle. I was on gunbroker and noticed the country of origin in the description, so I started researching it. It seems like people think if it comes from the US, it is inferior to the Belgium made ones. I can’t find any evidence of this and no actual proof, cases or anything. I find it hard to believe FN would allow their US facility to lower the standards/tolerances. However, I did find a YouTube video with a rifle that had a bolt carrier break. And it was a Belgium model. See link for video if interested:
https://youtu.be/P2qNYHpQIck
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,148 Times in 3,149 Posts

I used to think the SCAR 17 was tbe be all end all, then the more I looked into it the less I wanted it
I do love FN
At this point I would rather have a LMT
Will be interested to see what others have to say
Old 06-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,182 Times in 22,572 Posts

I picked up one to test, but the scope I want to use sits lower than I'd like I probably have some right height rings in a box somewhere, but I'm waiting to order some. (That and bump my rifle range out to ~500)

Lots of discussion on the FAL files. Basically those with them like them and those who don't have them don't like them.

Plastic hinge is jankity and I hated spending $240 on a trigger for a $2,500 rifle. (But I did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 11:24 PM

I thought the SCAR was one of the best out there, too, next to the Knights Armament rifles. Then I started looking into them... I have zero experience with the LMTs. I had a gen 1 Sig716: Geissele trigger, Larue mount, Leupold MK4 scope and a Harris bipod. Loved it! Zero malfunctions, super smooth (especially w/ the new trigger) but a little heavy. Sold it to a friend and built a Rem 700, 5R, 308. Now I’m itching for a semiauto again.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
hated spending $240 on a trigger for a $2,500 rifle. (But I did
Yep. Unless itís a Wilson Combat, you pretty much have to get a new trigger. Buying a weapon with a preinstalled trigger seems to add $500 to it. SMH
Old 06-03-2020, 02:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,017 Times in 418 Posts

My Belgian Scar17 has a pretty good stock trigger. It breaks smoothly every time at exactly 6.5lbs and works great as a combat trigger.

My Scar is my all around rifle. For 0-300 6.5lbs and smooth as can be is good enough for me.

I'm sure the Geissele is better but not worth it to me. Maybe if I put a higher powered scope on it I would opt for it. For now I like to run it lightweight though.