60 minutes on ghost guns - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,896 Times in 722 Posts
Default 60 minutes on ghost guns

Advertise Here

Anyone see 60 minutes last nite (5/10)? They had a section on the terrible Ghost Gun problem. They said that ANYONE can buy a kit, and with just household tools, build themselves a gun that nobody knows about.
First of all, as a kinda DIY'r, I have looked at these things and can tell you that 75% of the population could not finish one of these, period. Even tho they are suppposed to be 80% done, there is still a bunch of work to be done, ACCURATELY and with PRECISION.
Second, it doesnt matter whether the gun has a serial number or not. Criminals are going to get a gun if they want one. We see this in arrests EVERYDAY.
60 minutez did their derndest to vilify the gun market/sales for aiding and abetting criminals, but we all know the only ones affected/harmed by any new laws will be law abiding citizens.
I suggest anyone thinking about this area of 2nd amendment rights pay close attention to what this report is attempting to do. They mentioned making these kits being classified a firearm.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Prepared

60 minutes, are they even still on...?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thequintessentialman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 12:37 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,217 Times in 408 Posts

I didn't see it, but if it is a firearm - doesn't the transfer still have to happen through an FFL? So, all the normal rules would apply based on location, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by film495 View Post
I didn't see it, but if it is a firearm - doesn't the transfer still have to happen through an FFL? So, all the normal rules would apply based on location, no?
Nope...80% lowers are not firearms. This is according to the ATF. They are not required to be registered by federal law.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,109 Times in 3,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
Nope...80% lowers are not firearms. This is according to the ATF. They are not required to be registered by federal law.
You are sure??? Are 80% lowers completely milled, all the holes drilled, ready to add the parts???
Old 05-12-2020, 05:41 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,444 Times in 6,220 Posts

If Biden is elected he will fix that 'loophole'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
You are sure??? Are 80% lowers completely milled, all the holes drilled, ready to add the parts???
Nope, 80% lowers are not finished, that is why they are called 80%. There is still some milling/drilling that needs to be completed before it is a functional firearm. A lot more than just assembly.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Black Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,166 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
You're thinking of stripped lowers, not 80% lowers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revelation For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 11,256 Times in 2,366 Posts

"ghost gun" is like "assault weapon"

Call it something scary so the sheep will fear it. The left has been trying to go after these for years. Too little too late. Untold millions have been built. 3D printing and home CNC set ups don't even need the 80% part.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote:
If it was completed, it wouldn't be an "80%" lower
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:33 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,759 Times in 10,565 Posts

I really don't see why its an issue (except by the gun grabbers)

The serial number doesn't stop the idiots from breaking the laws

Unless the gun is left at the scene of the crime, LEO has no way of knowing what gun was used except witness accounts and the caliber of the bullet

And the serial number only gives it a unique identifier that leads back to the original owner. It has no bearing on if the gun gets sold or stolen
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,055 Times in 10,503 Posts

I've built a few and it only cost me $3,600 for the machine (metal lathe/mill) and sadly they all burned up (including the mill) in the fire.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 PM

I guess they're going after the Ghost Gunner CNC?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,000 Times in 942 Posts
Default Yepper,sure did

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
Anyone see 60 minutes last nite (5/10)? They had a section on the terrible Ghost Gun problem. They said that ANYONE can buy a kit, and with just household tools, build themselves a gun that nobody knows about.
First of all, as a kinda DIY'r, I have looked at these things and can tell you that 75% of the population could not finish one of these, period. Even tho they are suppposed to be 80% done, there is still a bunch of work to be done, ACCURATELY and with PRECISION.
Second, it doesnt matter whether the gun has a serial number or not. Criminals are going to get a gun if they want one. We see this in arrests EVERYDAY.
60 minutez did their derndest to vilify the gun market/sales for aiding and abetting criminals, but we all know the only ones affected/harmed by any new laws will be law abiding citizens.
I suggest anyone thinking about this area of 2nd amendment rights pay close attention to what this report is attempting to do. They mentioned making these kits being classified a firearm.
I watched it with the full understanding that ANYTHING that the fake news media does is bound to be as far left AND anti gun as possible.

I was not disapointed by '60 B.S. minutes'.

They are so far up the butt of all the left that it is VERY hard to watch as is "meat the press" [ yes spelled the way it should be ].

The 60 min thing was almost fun to "shoot holes in" and I got lots of practice on that one too.

The clown that did the 'interviews' was about as anti as possible,the only redeeming part was the man who sells tens of thousands of them NONE used in crimes as he claims he checks his buyers out.

And the Sheriff claiming that "anyone" can build such with no skills and gangbangers do so often.

Being a gun owner,and one that used to have 'skills',I have looked at these and not wanted to be a lawbreaker nor bother to try and register a 'new' gun.

So stayed away from these,but like the fact they can be bought by any to play with,hopefully NOT blowing off a hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to scaatylobo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,469 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I've built a few and it only cost me $3,600 for the machine (metal lathe/mill) and sadly they all burned up (including the mill) in the fire.
Wow, I only paid $210 for my jig, then got $125 back when I made a video using it. I bought a Wen drill press for $80 shipped, which I get a lot of use out of besides builds. Then a Makita router for $100 which I haven't used as much for things other than builds as I would like, but I hopefully down the road I will. So I'm only in a net of $265.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
Wow, I only paid $210 for my jig, then got $125 back when I made a video using it. I bought a Wen drill press for $80 shipped, which I get a lot of use out of besides builds. Then a Makita router for $100 which I haven't used as much for things other than builds as I would like, but I hopefully down the road I will. So I'm only in a net of $265.
Same here except I had a router and did not use a drill press, just drilled carefully by hand. It is your right as an American to build and own a firearm. The one catch is that you cannot sell it. Once you build it with no numbers, it is just yours to own and shoot.

As was pointed out by another, the numbers don't actually mean anything other than who originally purchased it. Unlike what is the norm on TV, regular states don't have a gun registry. Only the handful of communist party states do this. Comifornia, Republic of New York, Maryland, and Hawaii.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 35,401 Times in 10,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by film495 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
Nope, 80% lowers are not finished, that is why they are called 80%. There is still some milling/drilling that needs to be completed before it is a functional firearm. A lot more than just assembly.
Just to clarify...

1. A license is not required to manufacture a firearm solely for personal use, with a class 07 FFL license required to manufacture firearms for sale/distribution to a class 01 or 02 FFL.

2. As a lower receiver is not considered a firearm until the fire control cavity has been milled, BATFE doesn’t designate a 80% lower to be a firearm.

3. 18 USC 922(r) prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by magnetometer or x–ray.

4. Everything above is applicable to federal law only. The various states may or may not have laws proscribing the aforementioned subject.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,110 Times in 8,761 Posts

There was a point in time that 60 Minutes was an excellent show. 40 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,162 Times in 22,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Same here except I had a router and did not use a drill press, just drilled carefully by hand. It is your right as an American to build and own a firearm. The one catch is that you cannot sell it. Once you build it with no numbers, it is just yours to own and shoot.

As was pointed out by another, the numbers don't actually mean anything other than who originally purchased it. Unlike what is the norm on TV, regular states don't have a gun registry. Only the handful of communist party states do this. Comifornia, Republic of New York, Maryland, and Hawaii.
You can, you just can't of intended to when you built it and there's a process....
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,221 Times in 2,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
Anyone see 60 minutes last nite (5/10)? They had a section on the terrible Ghost Gun problem. They said that ANYONE can buy a kit, and with just household tools, build themselves a gun that nobody knows about.....
60min - decades of trash TV from the lying MSM
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post: