Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
1. How do you think most epidemiological stats are calculated? It is based on projections, assumptions, estimates, algorithms... This is probably the most tracked, most documented and researched cause of death, and ironically most criticized epidemiological stat. Nothing else is done to this level of accuracy. If the same scrutiny went into the flu numbers, no one would get the flu shot.

2. Aside from your criticism of the calculations, 100k is not an impossibility of official tally. Let's revisit this 5/20. I do not buy the 75k in august as Dr. Fauxchister is proclaiming. But when American's can't recall anything longer than 7 days, it doesn't really matter anyone says, it's all about maintain calm and order.
That 100k-250k was supposed to be nearly 3 weeks ago. It was off by about 3 weeks and over 60,000. Those the models doomers on here have been citing as proof that we needed to shut everything down. Those are the numbers the media was running into scaring you people into accepting the destruction of your own economy, and millions of jobs. And those models were abso-****ing-lutely 100% incorrect.

There was a time limit on those predictions, and it's well past. Trying to make excuses "but..but we COULD see those numbers 2 months after the predicted deadline" is a ****-poor argument. Hey, guess what? Not as many people are dying as you've been told, most sane people would see that as good news. Then you people try to obfuscate, explain, rationalize, and excuse the bull**** that has lead us to this point, so you don't have to admit that yeah, the media duped your asses hardcore.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,353 Times in 2,115 Posts
Default Povidone Iodine 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
A while ago, I ordered things to make this stuff.

Providone-iodine 10% is actually the same thing as betadine. Last I saw, betadine was still at my local drugstore, too....
I think this probably belongs in the COVID Alternative Medicine Sticky.

I won't comment one way or another on the amount of dilution suggested. But I want to say there is some very interesting and credible research on this stuff, even against SARS. IMO it should definitely be on everyone's radar and in every prepper's kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 03:48 PM
SoJer

Thanked 6,032 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
That 100k-250k was supposed to be nearly 3 weeks ago. It was off by about 3 weeks and over 60,000.
Just curious, justin, why you ALWAYS seem to leave the attenuating affect the 'segregation' and 'home-quarantine' Has Clearly Had on any and all 'modeling' out of Your math? Can you Not See that??

Again - this situ can be Both a Real, actual 'threat' - Real virus, Real horrible-illnesses from it, Real death - and - Yes, also really be 'taken advantage of' to further tyrannical encroachments. Thus, we need to be 'Smart on Both fronts' of this War (and it Is one..)

jd
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,322 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiltshift View Post
The U.S. has a barely functioning CDC at this moment in time. It's definitely not the CDC we've had in years past. It's just a shell at this point. I wouldn't consider anything the CDC says or does to be worth much consideration. Understaffed, underfunded, no morale, no leadership.
Too busy spending CDC dollars and time on gun research instead of infectious disease.

I'd say aside from the military, there is very little the government does a great job with.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiltshift View Post
The thing is, it's probably fine to not wear them if you can keep distance from people. I know when we're walking around our neighborhood, a lot of people wear them but I've stopped. I just cross the street if people are coming my direction, etc etc.

But if I go into denser places like grocery stores or I pick something up from a neighbor or drop something off or whatever, I wear one. And I use hand sanitizer before and after I touch things.

If Americans can AT LEAST wear masks when they're going to be closer than 6 feet away from other people, then this might end sooner. But folks are just walking around crowded places without masks, which seems silly.
No end in sight regardless of social distancing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,181 Times in 8,776 Posts

Quote:
No end in sight regardless of social distancing.
Exactly!

That is why I am going about my business laughing at the absurdity of it all. No one was wearing a mask during bird flu / pig flu / all other strains of flu.

Here in AZ-land, the people still buying into the governor's BS. They won't admit the majority of the deaths have been in assisted living facilities or up on the various reservations. Or that over half the state has had less than 10 cases per zip code.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
That 100k-250k was supposed to be nearly 3 weeks ago. It was off by about 3 weeks and over 60,000. Those the models doomers on here have been citing as proof that we needed to shut everything down. Those are the numbers the media was running into scaring you people into accepting the destruction of your own economy, and millions of jobs. And those models were abso-****ing-lutely 100% incorrect.

There was a time limit on those predictions, and it's well past. Trying to make excuses "but..but we COULD see those numbers 2 months after the predicted deadline" is a ****-poor argument. Hey, guess what? Not as many people are dying as you've been told, most sane people would see that as good news. Then you people try to obfuscate, explain, rationalize, and excuse the bull**** that has lead us to this point, so you don't have to admit that yeah, the media duped your asses hardcore.
1. Person I quoted said mid may. So, you might want to PM him to be more accurate in his talking points.

2. The media didn't shut down the country, the government did.

3. You are claiming an underwhelming number of deaths as a failure of the citizens to act and protect themselvs? I don't understand your logic.

4. My position has been since the beginning of march, a time when most supported a quarantine (see how few likes there are to the OP), to remain open. https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=941018

So, don't pretend you know **** about me or my thoughts.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Exactly!

That is why I am going about my business laughing at the absurdity of it all. No one was wearing a mask during bird flu / pig flu / all other strains of flu.

Here in AZ-land, the people still buying into the governor's BS. They won't admit the majority of the deaths have been in assisted living facilities or up on the various reservations. Or that over half the state has had less than 10 cases per zip code.
I think things should be opened up so people can decide what is best for them and their family.

As we open up, those numbers you see in your area will increase, the deaths will spread outside the nursing home. I'm ok with that; are you? Does your position on being open or closed change if the demographic of those effected changes?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,446 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
I believe it was (?) rats that carried some plagues?
Here (and other population centers) I suppose it will be the homeless.

Hundreds of homeless test positive for coronavirus in Denver, shelter workers also sickened

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...kened-covid-19

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
Ted.

Yep - the homeless will give it to each other.

But since the vast majority of people with homes, have practiced very effective social distancing from all homeless people their whole lives, it is unlikely the homeless will infect many other normal folks.

There is no logical reason for normal people to worry specifically about homeless people giving them COVID-19.

Most Americans will be infected by other family members.

Many of the rest will be infected by people they know, who are no more homeless than they are......or for city dwellers, by some well dressed person sitting on the subway next to them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 08:05 PM
This is a great survival forum

New cases today (4 May) in New Zealand: 0

New deaths today in New Zealand: 0

Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Get off my bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCross View Post
New cases today (4 May) in New Zealand: 0

New deaths today in New Zealand: 0

That's good news. But I wonder, you've had everything locked down so tightly that there's very little immunity in your population so what happens when you lessen restrictions and someone brings the virus back in from overseas? Or are you just going to keep your borders closed for years?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eloise M For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloise M View Post
That's good news. But I wonder, you've had everything locked down so tightly that there's very little immunity in your population so what happens when you lessen restrictions and someone brings the virus back in from overseas? Or are you just going to keep your borders closed for years?

The border will likely be effectively shut until there is a vaccine. Exports and imports continue to flow in and out - just a closure to people.

Although, there is a bit of talk down here about a "travel bubble" with Australia since they are getting their virus situation under control as well.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...hnk/index.html
Old 05-03-2020, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,181 Times in 8,776 Posts

Quote:
I think things should be opened up so people can decide what is best for them and their family.

As we open up, those numbers you see in your area will increase, the deaths will spread outside the nursing home. I'm ok with that; are you? Does your position on being open or closed change if the demographic of those effected changes?
AZ currently has 4.6 deaths per 100,000 people. I personally see no reason to keep everything locked down tight.

The governor on the other hand is NOT going to give up the millions of dollars from FEMA, HHS, and a couple other agencies. That tidbit was leaked last Friday. Had the order been allowed to expire, all of that federal money would have gone away as well. Thus keep the lock-down through the 15th, get the money, and then slowly re-open.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,493 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloise M View Post
1st Q:

IMO with little to no community immunity at the first Xint of a recrudescence in cases, the feculent material will hit the air impeller and the horse-faced communist witch will panic and go Level 8.

2nd Q:

Close all borders and suffocate in Ardernist Smugness - why not? She and her sycophants will be OK, paid, fed and watered. Anyway, who would want to come here and live under the rule of a communist Blairite idiot with no brains and completely ruled by signaling virtue and spending OPM (Other People' Money)?

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not a fan of Ardern.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Hunter

Quote:
The border will likely be effectively shut until there is a vaccine. Exports and imports continue to flow in and out - just a closure to people.
Oh good, so as soon as we have a vaccine - as quickly as we had one for dengue and HIV and Hep C - all will be well. Phew. For a while there I was getting anxshus :-) /sarc.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
Oh good, so as soon as we have a vaccine - as quickly as we had one for dengue and HIV and Hep C - all will be well. Phew. For a while there I was getting anxshus :-) /sarc.
Apparently, you have nothing to worry about.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ccine-by-years
Old 05-04-2020, 12:37 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Apparently, you have nothing to worry about.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ccine-by-years
I'm mildly curious. Why are you featuring Trump? I'm presently in NZ, which is also the country under discussion. Focus. It's a useful thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 04:42 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,114 Times in 9,347 Posts

Quote:
What's the alternative to opening up? Stay in your home the rest of your life? only have encounters with the "essentials" then go home? Even if you had zero infections in the US, then what, is that good enough? There's still a raging pandemic around the globe, do you continue to shelter in place knowing the infection will come here?

What is the plan? What is the alternative you suggest if you are against opening up? I mean this with no disrespect, I am so tired of hearing people complaining about opening up without any alternative plan. What metric should be tracked to open up if not hospital occupancy which was the purpose of the lockdown?

Do you feel government oversight of all activities is warranted for the next how many days, months, years?
Layered quarantine. The good ol' Isolation Onion.

Once there are no cases for the maximum risk period, everyone within that layer of quarantine is free to interact with each other without worry. You expand that up. Household, social groups, towns, counties, states, countries, continents, world. You can also combine horizontally. So 2 clean counties can interact with no precautions. As soon as 1 county detects a case, the other county stops interacting with them.

You institute regular screening to detect breaches of quarantines, you isolate, contact trace, decontaminate, and you implement quarantines again and then combine them again as they clear.

None of this stuff is remotely new. We've all known how to conduct these things. We just suddenly forget the plan the second we realize it's time to implement it and that it's inconvenient.

Last edited by Colt; 05-04-2020 at 05:29 AM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:29 AM
Grevcon 10

I even made you a graphic. Obviously there's near endless brackets, but as each level clears they move on to the next level in the bracket.

In the 2nd graphic someone in the Young family is infected. That means they're quarantined against each other and everyone else. The Allens still get to interact with each other, but they don't expose themselves to the city of Miami because the city of Miami has infected, being the Youngs and anyone they might have infected. Now the city of Orlando can interact with each other just fine, but they don't expose themselves to the state of Florida, because there are infected people in Florida, being Miami and anyone they infected. This continues up.

The entire state of Georgia has had no cases so the whole state gets to go about their normal business, other than that they don't interact with people outside Georgia. Atlanta and Augusta are interacting, and the Wrights and Lopezes are swapping all kinds of body fluids. But if one of the Lopezes breaks quarantine and sneaks off to Miami and cheats with one of the Youngs before bringing it back to Augusta, and they come up positive in a screening for work or they get a fever and go to the hospital, they get struck too. The Wrights, having been swapping fluids with the Lopezes, are also quarantined. But if the Wrights make it through the quarantine period with no one infected their sub-quarantine is now clean again and they can all interact with each other again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	303124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	303126  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:42 AM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
A thought, how about installing UV lights in elevators? should help sterilize them, the same could be done in public transport and other public places!
Because UV lights strong enough to disinfect will damage your eyes and give you a sun burn. I use a UVC light all the time. You have to be careful with it. Just the light coming through the crack in the door was enough to hurt me when I looked at it. Had to put in some more weather stripping to keep it out.

You could try to use sensors to turn them off when people were present, but you still don't want any oopsies or it could be a lawsuit. Manually controlling the lights for periodic treatments between uses works, but requires someone to actually monitor the lights.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post: