Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2020, 01:55 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,670 Times in 13,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Wife went to Walmart yesterday and sent a picture asking me what I wanted from the selection they had in the meat department..... see pic below.... she ended up going to three different stores and getting about $200 of fresh meat and frozen meats. Glad I stuck an ice chest in her suv before she left, she used it to keep stuff cold while in other stores.
We had enough already for a month or so without using canned meats or freeze dried but with the way things are going we want to hedge our bets and stock up while we can. We are budgeting for doing the same thing with canned veggies and fruits tomorrow and repeating it all every payday until we run out of freezer space and cabinet space (that will take a while too...j
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E77F58D6-40E9-4C5A-8619-04079C9A9774.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	303040  

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

Last edited by jfountain2; 05-03-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Truth Seeker

Went out today to buy a Ruger EC9s pocket pistol. Its so nice outside, sunny and 70 degrees. Everyone and their mother is outside.

Arrived at Cabelas 15min after they had opened (11:15am) and there was already a line 30-50 people deep. I left and headed 100 miles to the mountains in the western part of the state. Driving by a walmart in Oxford ME there was a huge line of 100 people or more that wrapped around the building, it was around noon time.

I stopped by Howells gun shop in Gray they had a sign saying call us, dont enter. So I called they didnt have the gun I was looking for and said it was backordered without an eta date. I thanked him and continued northwest. I stopped by Top Gun gun store and they had 6 or so people inside some had masks others didnt. He had a few pocket guns but not the Ruger.

Such a nice drive. I stopped at Mallards corner store in Bethel and got a couple slices of pizza. There were about 50 harley riders also eating lunch around the parking lot. Lots of out of state plates, Rhode Island, Mass, Florida, New Jersey, New York & I even seen a F350 with Texas tags.

The Chinese resturant was open in Raymond. I lol'd as I drove past.

On my way back I stopped back into Cabelas, it was around 3pm, no line. There was a guy at the front asking what I wanted. I said a pistol. He said they are by apt only and the appointments are booked out to Tuesday. I thanked him and left.

I stopped by my local chinese resturant Yummy House in Sanford and there was a sign saying no walk ins and to call first. So I called in an order. The two other people that entered the chinese place were wearing homemade masks. The main cook was wearing a surgical mask which was nice to see.

One thing that ****ed me off was the toll booth workers on I-95 didnt have their faces covered! Talk about super spreaders.

I'm going to order the Ruger from Budsgunshop.com and just pay the $25 transfer fee.

Oh yea I also stopped by the Vitamine Shoppe: Face covered was required to enter. 1 person at a time. When you enter its ropped off and the cashier asks you what you want and fetches it for you. They were out of Zinc, I said go figure. He sold me ZMA which has zinc in it, so ya.

Gas prices were between $1.75-$1.88
I think I seen home heating oil at $1.54 in Lyman.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mtnhiker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,178 Times in 8,774 Posts

Haven't posted in here in several days so update time on observations of late:

1. Fry's Marketplace and both Walmarts both fairly well stocked on TP in the mornings. 4-packs to 30-packs. By mid-late morning likely to be gone.
2. Costco has been hit and miss; lots of PT and Kleenex. Maybe no TP for a day and a half or even two followed by a couple pallets late in the afternoon. Usually the 30-pack; varies either Kirkland or Charmin brands.
3. the one Walmart is better stocked than the other on paper products
4. all stores now limiting meat purchases
5. Outside of the TP situation above, Fry's Marketplace damn near back to normal. All types / brands of canned vegetables back in stock and good stock at that
6. rice, pasta, noodles making good come-back
7. all stores - no limits on dairy or eggs
8. all stores - fresh fruits and vegetables abound
9. all stores look like liquor stores about to be robbed there are so many masks; masks are mandatory in Costco starting Monday. I WILL look like a jihadist when I go in.

All in all, the new normal looks pretty effing stupid. Walmart even went so far as to put directional arrows to show people which direction to shop. Most aren't following them in the least.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,740 Times in 1,466 Posts

i went to home depot on wed. at 11 am. it was packed. in placerville, ca. they had 0 cherry tomato plants but lots of bigger 1s. 0 sweet peppers and lots of hot pepper plants. whats happening?
The Following User Says Thank You to jimdc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 01:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,109 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc View Post
i went to home depot on wed. at 11 am. it was packed. in placerville, ca. they had 0 cherry tomato plants but lots of bigger 1s. 0 sweet peppers and lots of hot pepper plants. whats happening?
I think it's beginning to dawn in the general population that a food crisis is on the horizon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altarboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
I think it's beginning to dawn in the general population that a food crisis is on the horizon.
Lots and lots of people tilling up their yards around town. Does my heart good actually. I'm glad to see efforts being made.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TitanicRose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 02:38 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,718 Times in 2,419 Posts

I think there are a lot of newer and first time gardeners that have picked up nursery seedlings with the hopes of enhancing their future food needs. I had noticed reduced numbers and types of stocked seedlings as well at several retailers.

My planting diary this year was modified to contain more prolific staples and fewer of the fun to grow items. I still have a couple of last years winters squash on a shelf and they are still in great external shape. I will crack them open this week and see how much they have gone to seed.

I am expecting a lot of sad people to find unproductive yields and stressed plants due to poor soil condition, when they expected plug and play results.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,856 Times in 3,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicRose View Post
Lots and lots of people tilling up their yards around town. Does my heart good actually. I'm glad to see efforts being made.
Like others have said, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed by first year garden results. But this has gotten a lot of people interested in gardening, which is good.

A guy at work was asking me tons of questions about gardening last week, and about making compost, etc.

A lady from church asked me today if I was doing a garden, and told me to plant extra tomatoes and she'll buy them from me. She's bought them a few times off me to can. She's got limited space for plants, but she was telling me how she's making full use of it this year.

I am also glad to see people interested. I'm just not sure they are going to be happy with their results.

It will probably be a good year for local greenhouses! It always made me sad to see them throw away a lot of good plants in the past, because it's always hard to judge demand - you want to make sure you've got plenty available. I doubt they'll have many unsold ones this year.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Prepared

I went to the commissary this weekend and one of the workers told me to stock up on meat, because they were going to start putting limits on what you can buy this week.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Measuretwice For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,322 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicRose View Post
I predict the logic from the nay-sayers that think the reduced death toll was due to poor projections and had nothing to do with the citizens who acted to preserve their health will be the same on the food shortage.

You people tilling your land wasted your time. See I toled you there would be no food shortage at the grocery store (because millions of pounds of food was produced in our backyards)...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,330 Posts

Picked up groceries this weekend. Got a few cans of beans, some chicken, and some fresh fruits and veggies. Had ordered ice cream but did not get it. Are people seriously panic-buying ice cream?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:10 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,137 Times in 3,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh1701 View Post
Picked up groceries this weekend. Got a few cans of beans, some chicken, and some fresh fruits and veggies. Had ordered ice cream but did not get it. Are people seriously panic-buying ice cream?
Pelosi's people had to fill her freezer.

I'm surprised how stuff like rice is still iffy.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post
Pelosi's people had to fill her freezer.

I'm surprised how stuff like rice is still iffy.
I can understand rice, it lasts a long time. At least those people are using their brains. Ice cream won't do people any good if the power goes out due to civil unrest and it melts.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,595 Times in 9,861 Posts

Ice cream is comfort food I can see a run on it.

I know the hershey almond full size bars were one of the first things to sell out at the Sam's when this all started.

People want certain foods when they're stressed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:30 PM
Dog Whisperer

None of the grocery stores around here have any lentils. I found a few bags of Goya at a relatively close Target. I have a fair amount of lentils in my long term preps, but I wanted to increase the amount. I live in an apartment and don't have a freezer to store meat, with a meat shortage, I'll just go vegetarian once I run out. I was forced to buy expensive organic lentils online, not necessarily a bad thing but something I wouldn't normally have done.

Boxed tomatoes (Pomi) are also completely gone from all the stores around here (Mass.)
The Following User Says Thank You to TobyDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,059 Times in 4,294 Posts

Another no contact curbside Pick up under my belt, I'm really liking this. Plenty of hamburger but they were pretty much out of (roasts/steaks) cuts of meat. Other than that it was good, I got most of what I wanted to get. A drive, a phone call, a short wait while they loaded my groceries, a smile and a wave and I was on my way back home...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,718 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
I can understand rice, it lasts a long time. At least those people are using their brains. Ice cream won't do people any good if the power goes out due to civil unrest and it melts.
Unless you have #10s with FD icecream. I like it crunchy, and you can pour a bit of milk over it in a bowl as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,856 Times in 3,918 Posts

Quote:
If the power went off and people were at risk of loosing the ice cream in their freezer, many people (myself included and I'm sure a few others here, too, haha) would have no problem making sure it all got eaten. Even if it meant having it for breakfast and lunch and dinner.

:-)
Old 05-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Dismember

Thanked 5,227 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
If "money's so tight" why ON EARTH are you buying multiple (or any) bottles of booze!?!

Joke?
(I hope)
'

It's OK. It's "Trump money", and Trump is rich.
The Following User Says Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,740 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
None of the grocery stores around here have any lentils. I found a few bags of Goya at a relatively close Target. I have a fair amount of lentils in my long term preps, but I wanted to increase the amount. I live in an apartment and don't have a freezer to store meat, with a meat shortage, I'll just go vegetarian once I run out. I was forced to buy expensive organic lentils online, not necessarily a bad thing but something I wouldn't normally have done.

Boxed tomatoes (Pomi) are also completely gone from all the stores around here (Mass.)
May I ask what boxed tomatoes are? Only time I ever see them boxed is in bushels or half bushels, and that is not in the grocery store.