Why bring a semi automatic weapon to protest - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,766 Times in 667 Posts

Advertise Here

Last night, I was watching some woman on Fox News blather on about how the protest at the Michigan State House should have been peaceful and non-violent. Why did protestors have to bring guns?

The protest WAS peaceful and non-violent. Just because some citizens exercised their right to bear arms does not make a protest violent, violence makes a protest become a riot. There was no riot at the MI State House.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Bug-In Prepper

Thanked 1,070 Times in 438 Posts

First, being inconspicuous at a protest defeats the purpose. The whole point of protest is to attract attention, to create awareness of your issue among the people, to get media coverage, and to make the establishment feel social pressure to "do something". It amazes me that it works, but it does work (sometimes).

Second, why bring and display guns? Because they are symbols of emotional value far disproportionate to their physical abilities. Both the left and the right have bought into myths of the "assault weapon". Media has demonized it to some and fetishized it to others.

The physical reality is that these are rather boring semiauto rifles chambered in intermediate calibers, many of them hobbled by too-short barrels and/or "tacticool" cosmetic features. In a similar sense an American flag is "just" a stick and dyed fabric.

The cultural and media-contrived reality is much, much more significant, and it is to the narratives about the hardware that people are reacting. Their utility as a triggering device far outweighs their utility as devices with triggers.

I have lefty friends who are flipping out over this story, babbling in a frenzy about "machine guns" and "weapons of war" etc etc. It's all BS, but if they knew what these rifles really were, would they react as strongly, or at all? No, of course not. But the strength of their reaction to the myth is what makes carrying "assault-style" rifles at a protest effective in the first place.

Smoke and mirrors changes people's minds far more effectively than naked reality.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ttkciar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 PM
?

Thanked 5,354 Times in 1,591 Posts

The stupid thing is what most of them left behind which was a mask.

Sure, show up to stand up for your rights, but do it sensibly. A virus doesn't give a **** about rights.

I know the Michigan Dems were gloating over how many conservatives were going to get sick due to protestors' lack of precautions against infection.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allye For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,096 Times in 8,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
I am all for owning firearms. When I see people in Michigan demonstrating, which is their right, I am confused why anyone would want to “stand out”. Why not be gray man and attend? I would not want my weapons seen. What am I missing?
In case you get attacked by the COVID?
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 38,559 Times in 9,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Intimidation. No other reason. Those people don't go to rallies to be gray men, they go to be rambos.
Intimidation....hell yes. They are attempting to win back rights and freedom for all of us. Unfortunately, they win back rights for people like you too, who sit on the sideline and heckle those doing the heavy lifting. However, you and your kind are always more than willing to accept any gain they may achieve .
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,096 Times in 8,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post
The stupid thing is what most of them left behind which was a mask.

Sure, show up to stand up for your rights, but do it sensibly. A virus doesn't give a **** about rights.

I know the Michigan Dems were gloating over how many conservatives were going to get sick due to protestors' lack of precautions against infection.
As the situation becomes more dire the strategies become more extreme. Creating more push back from the public making the situation more dire.

I honestly don't know how you resolve it. I just guess you go through a bunch of unnecessary pain and death.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:59 PM
SoJer

Thanked 6,032 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
...As far as why???
Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
...Here it took just a few
...and sometimes, 'The Few' is all it takes...

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020...avirus-reopen/

..See folks, not Everyone in KA has their heads up where the Sun don't shine... That's Our kinda County-attitude.. (though, Personally, I would still use / encourage donning masks in closed-ish spaces for awhile yet.. 'Responsibly Excersized Freedoms', ie: 'trigger discipline'.. Just a Good idea..

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuynonsensefromme View Post
..I honestly don't know how you resolve it. I just guess you go through a bunch of unnecessary pain and death.
Don't worry, m8.. We've Plenty of milk crates..

jd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
The people in this town better stay armed if they decide to voice their opinion in public.

https://www.redwhiteandfyou.com/lanc...ts-with-death/

I live in Pennsylvania, not too far from that city. There are no such "laws." The governor cannot pass "laws." He has issued edicts which most people, including myself, are practicing (social distancing and masks) because they make sense.

But there is growing sentiment that he has greatly overstepped his authority in many areas, and the thought is taking hold that he and his cronies need to get off the power trip that they're on.

The District Attorney of a nearby county has already said he won't prosecute any such "arrests" because what the governor, backed up by some LEOs, is doing is, in many cases, blatantly illegal.

Some folks have banded together and asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear their case and allow businesses in PA to re-open much sooner than what the governor intends to allow. The U.S. Supreme Court has asked the governor to defend his stay-at-home orders.

https://www.wfmz.com/health/coronavi...660cb4879.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,181 Times in 8,776 Posts

Quote:
Due to poor choice of words, I don't think you will have anyone stay on topic or answer your question and they sure won't like mine. Intimidation. No other reason. Those people don't go to rallies to be gray men, they go to be rambos.
You are not ignorant. Please don't try to come off as such. You are simply trying to stir up crap with comments like that.

Do you feel the same when the ANTIFA people are out there all bandana'd up and carrying their idiotic signs? Or is that ok?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,181 Times in 8,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Intimidation....hell yes. They are attempting to win back rights and freedom for all of us. Unfortunately, they win back rights for people like you too, who sit on the sideline and heckle those doing the heavy lifting. However, you and your kind are always more than willing to accept any gain they may achieve .
That how she typically rolls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 06:59 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Some months ago the wife & I found the remake of Death Wish (with Bruce Willis) on either Netflix or Amazon Prime. I thought it was OK, but not nearly as good as the original. Now a couple weeks ago I found prime has all 5 of the original Chuck Bronson Death Wish movies on it for free. So we watched them all over the last couple weeks, now when I saw your avatar next to your post, I heard it in Charles Bronson's voice.
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,481 Times in 3,114 Posts

It's called liberal click bait! I am. I am all alone here on this planet. Why God???? Why????
Old 05-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,762 Times in 13,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post

Do you feel the same when the ANTIFA people are out there all bandana'd up and carrying their idiotic signs? Or is that ok?
Signs and bandanas are fine by me. It's when you bring guns to a protest that I have a problem with. Protest what you will, for whatever side. Bringing a gun is NOT a protest, it is a THREAT and many in this thread have admitted that is just that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Not John Wick

Thanked 1,486 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
I am all for owning firearms. When I see people in Michigan demonstrating, which is their right, I am confused why anyone would want to “stand out”. Why not be gray man and attend? I would not want my weapons seen. What am I missing?
Juvenile delinquency?
Old 05-02-2020, 07:59 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Signs and bandanas are fine by me. It's when you bring guns to a protest that I have a problem with. Protest what you will, for whatever side. Bringing a gun is NOT a protest, it is a THREAT and many in this thread have admitted that is just that.
Then every single cop I've ever met has been threatening me. I guess I should talk to a lawyer, huh? Going to a rally, protest, demonstration armed is a way to help ENSURE you are still allowed to exercise your 1st AND 2nd amendment rights. You don't have to pick one amendment to exercise your rights to at a time, you can exercise them together.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
And?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,174 Posts

Carrying a gun is no more a threat than driving a car. Both are tools that can be used to inflict harm. Is exercising your first amendment right to protest or pray also a threat? I'm sure it is to libtards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 4,214 Times in 2,221 Posts

If these folks are so eager to go back to work I am sure there are plenty of jobs in healthcare right now, warm bodies are needed. I went to a testing site this week and there were dozens at work not to mention all the police coordinating the traffic. The hospitals need folks from all disciplines, workers are overworked.

There are also opportunities to deliver food and goods.

So to these protesters, go get a job.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,111 Times in 3,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
There is a big difference between semiautomatics and automatic weapons despite what the press would have you believe. What the protestors had were most likely semiautomatic. The only people likely to have “automatic weapons” are the police who were present.

Almost as bad as saying that other made up media term to make guns seem scarier...... “assault weapons”

As far as why??? Do you ask why people voice their opinion practicing the first? It’s their right. Just as carrying guns is their right.

And what you are missing is that there are tons of different worlds out there and thought processes. Yours and mine are not the only ones. They decided that was the best way to help get their message across, it’s as simple as that.
Police carry automatics? That’s a new one to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 PM
What... me worry??

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined...
-Geo. Washington
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ack Roe Nym For This Useful Post: