Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 AM

Advertise Here

I actually picked up a EC9s on Saturday. Took it to the range and I loved it. Right out of the box. ran a bunch of different ammos through it. Only once if failed to feed properly and it didn't load the last round out of the clip. Slide locked open but there was one round in the clip yet.
Before i bought it I was shopping triggers and springs. Honestly I like the trigger. Not going to change it.
Will probably add a hogue grip. That's about it.
I painted the fixed sights.
The slide release is pretty stiff. Hard to operate with one hand. Hopefully that gets better.
Take down pin is a nice setup.

I have high hopes for a gun that is going to get knocked around a lot. I pulled out my S&W shield at the range for comparison. I have always been happy with it, but like normal, something was off, the rear sights had been knocked off center again.
That is what I loved about the LC380, it was always dependable, always ready to shoot, and the EC9 is just a bigger version.
Me personally I am much more accurate with the EC9 than I am with the S&W. Was actually surprised by that. (after I fixed the sights on the S&W again)

The SCCY looks interesting. They are cheap enough, I may have to pick one up. I can't find anyone that I know that has one. I am probably getting rid of some or all of my 380s.

EC9
Barrel length: 3.12"
Overall length: 6"
Overall width: 0.90"
Overall height: 4.5"
Overall weight: 17.2 ozs.

Sccy
Barrel length: 3.1 inches.
Overall Length: 5.7 inches.
Overall Width: 1 inches.
Overall height: 4 inches.
Weight: 15 oz.

There is a lot of truth that you get what you pay for in the gun department but there are certainly differences in guns even in this size and price range.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiha For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,629 Times in 554 Posts

Consider a Sig 365, when I do not pack a revolver, it rides with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Actually the Sig 365 looks like a good comparable option.
Length: 5.8 “
Height: 4.3” with flush magazine.
Width: 1”
Barrel: 3.1”
Trigger: ~6 lb.
Sights: XRAY3 Day/Night Sights (3-dot)
Weight: 17.8oz. w/empty magazine.

They seem to run about $350
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiha For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE3 View Post
If I was trying to go small and durable I'd probably think about a revolver in DAO with an enclosed hammer..
Actually it's a little easier to mess up a revolver than a semi auto by abuse. The crane, cylinder pin and pawl aren't very tough and are easily damaged by abuse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiha View Post
I actually picked up a EC9s on Saturday. Took it to the range and I loved it. Right out of the box. ran a bunch of different ammos through it. Only once if failed to feed properly and it didn't load the last round out of the clip. Slide locked open but there was one round in the clip yet.
Before i bought it I was shopping triggers and springs. Honestly I like the trigger. Not going to change it.
Will probably add a hogue grip. That's about it.
I painted the fixed sights.
The slide release is pretty stiff. Hard to operate with one hand. Hopefully that gets better.
Take down pin is a nice setup.

I have high hopes for a gun that is going to get knocked around a lot. I pulled out my S&W shield at the range for comparison. I have always been happy with it, but like normal, something was off, the rear sights had been knocked off center again.
That is what I loved about the LC380, it was always dependable, always ready to shoot, and the EC9 is just a bigger version.
Me personally I am much more accurate with the EC9 than I am with the S&W. Was actually surprised by that. (after I fixed the sights on the S&W again)

The SCCY looks interesting. They are cheap enough, I may have to pick one up. I can't find anyone that I know that has one. I am probably getting rid of some or all of my 380s.

EC9

Sccy

There is a lot of truth that you get what you pay for in the gun department but there are certainly differences in guns even in this size and price range.
Glad you found something that works. Was very surprised to hear that you had cracked the frames. Rugers are a pretty good value.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:37 AM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,159 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiha View Post

EC9

Sccy

My SIL won a SCCY SPX2 (?) in stainless top, pink grip at a gun raffle a couple years ago. I bought it off him for my wife but also as another inexpensive 9mm to have. It shoots well for me and her. Very comfortable grip. SCCY are all stainless steel barrels and slides, the black ones are just coated. Plus the grips come in just about any color you want. Lifetime warranty. Legend has it SCCY was started by a couple of disgruntled KelTec engineers and their first edition could use P11 magazines. Not so now. Only downside with the SCCY was although it came with two magazines (as I think all pistols should), the magazines seem a bit or pricey than they should be, especially with the pistol's selling price.

They had a fair sale on replacement grips a couple months back. I strongly considered getting one in black or tan BUT replacing the factory build grip, even with a factory grip, would void the lifetime warranty ;(
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,379 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jframe View Post
Consider a Sig 365, when I do not pack a revolver, it rides with me.
I like my Sig 938 and recommend it.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
My SIL won a SCCY SPX2 (?) in stainless top, pink grip at a gun raffle a couple years ago. I bought it off him for my wife but also as another inexpensive 9mm to have. It shoots well for me and her. Very comfortable grip. SCCY are all stainless steel barrels and slides, the black ones are just coated. Plus the grips come in just about any color you want. Lifetime warranty. Legend has it SCCY was started by a couple of disgruntled KelTec engineers and their first edition could use P11 magazines. Not so now. Only downside with the SCCY was although it came with two magazines (as I think all pistols should), the magazines seem a bit or pricey than they should be, especially with the pistol's selling price.

They had a fair sale on replacement grips a couple months back. I strongly considered getting one in black or tan BUT replacing the factory build grip, even with a factory grip, would void the lifetime warranty ;(
Not a permanent modification, in no way affects function, and highly doubt it would ever be raised as an issue. Probably might not even be listed as having to have the pink grips on a build sheet.

Besides, you could always keep them, and replace the original grips in even that you sell it or send it away for warranty work.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
I like my Sig 938 and recommend it.
A Sig P938 is hard to beat for 9mm pocket carry.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,159 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Not a permanent modification, in no way affects function, and highly doubt it would ever be raised as an issue. Probably might not even be listed as having to have the pink grips on a build sheet.

Besides, you could always keep them, and replace the original grips in even that you sell it or send it away for warranty work.
Actually, the grip sales page on their website stated it would void the lifetime warranty AND they still strongly recommended having a gunsmith perform the swap! Another option on color change is gun skins (gun Skinz?), vinyl wrap in designs and colors. For now, FEAR MY PINK PISTOL! 😱
Old 02-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,031 Posts

Walther CCP 9mm. Outstanding pistol. Simple controls. Goes bang every time. Very accurate, too. About $400. 8 Round magazines. It is just the right size for concealed carry in many situations.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM
living in the desert

I have both a EC9s and LC9s Pro model. Both have been flawless. I also have a Walther CCP that fits great right from the factory. Also a great gun but needs a firm grip and needs to be kept clean.

The Hogue Handall Beavertail grip sleeve is a great addition to the LC/EC9s. In my case, Make's it fit much nicer in the hand and helps control when shooting.

I use the factory mag with original pinky extension.I carry an extra 9 rnd mag when carrying my LC9s Pro. Nice thing is all mags interchange between the EC/LC9s.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3Jfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 08:21 AM

I have been carrying the EC9 for about a week now. Have gotten pretty comfortable inside the waist band. Tough to conceal. Summer months is going to be a challenge.
Much more comfortable than the S&W shield. Doesn't really limit my range of motion.

This weekend I tried an ankle holster. Yeah that is not going to work with this gun. Just too big. It is going to show.

Might have to start wearing cowboy boots again. LOL

Got a few other holsters I want to try but right now it looks like I will have to keep a 380 for summer concealment.
Or find a SCCY to try.