Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kelly Kettle Tar River Trading Post Tar River Trading Post LLC 0 12-15-2015 01:24 PM
Kelly Kettle jfloat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 11-04-2014 12:23 PM
Kelly Kettle Dragunov Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 04-18-2014 03:23 PM
Kelly Kettle anyone? THE_HUNTERIAM Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 12-13-2012 07:04 PM
ghillie kettle ckuck Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 12-05-2012 06:39 PM
Storm Kettle papajoscochise Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 01-20-2012 03:18 PM
Kelly Kettle graf56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 05-04-2010 05:19 PM
Kelly Kettle Interceptor Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-07-2010 11:32 PM
The Kettle is Black warlord Controversial News and Alternative Politics 8 07-11-2009 01:35 AM
kelly kettle BOBtheBUTCHER Reviews and questions 6 07-09-2009 08:11 PM

Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Homesteader / Workershare

Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Kettle Range Meats

Advertise Here

I just found out about these guys and thought I'd share. They source local grassfed beef, pork, lamb, and chicken and offer it via a monthly buyers club or ala carte options. They deliver to Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, and Madison. I signed up to start with next month's delivery

http://shop.kettlerangemeats.com/
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2016, 05:08 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,091 Times in 3,815 Posts

thx for info

far away for me but if I happen to be in the area...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM
human

Thanked 4,357 Times in 2,090 Posts

Their "Steak box" has 6.5 lbs of beef @ $187.00

That's $28.77 per pound, not in my price range.

Their burger is a bit more reasonable @ $9.60
The Following User Says Thank You to 6556 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6556 View Post
Their "Steak box" has 6.5 lbs of beef @ $187.00

That's $28.77 per pound, not in my price range.

Their burger is a bit more reasonable @ $9.60
The ham prices threw me for a loop too. But the monthly subscription I'm trying is priced well compared to grocery store grass fed options. And I'd much rather buy from local folks I can visit. I'll post a pic when I get it
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 AM
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
The ham prices threw me for a loop too. But the monthly subscription I'm trying is priced well compared to grocery store grass fed options. And I'd much rather buy from local folks I can visit. I'll post a pic when I get it
I assume that you buy a "membership" and that their prices listed 'are' membership prices?

What do you project your actual $ per pound?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
I assume that you buy a "membership" and that their prices listed 'are' membership prices?

What do you project your actual $ per pound?
Here's what the Buyer's Club Individual Share of Beef I picked looks like:

2 Premium Steaks (Ribeye, NY Strip, or Tenderloin;
2 Steaks (Sirloin, Ranch, Flat Iron, or other);
1lb. Ground Beef or Burger Patties;
2lb. Beef Roast (Round, Chuck, or Brisket), Stew Meat, or Stir Fry.

It's $65. The best store brand I have available is Thousand Hills at Woodmans. Purchasing this same selection there would cost me $74.94 (2 tenderloin at 14.99, 2 sirloin at 10.99, ground beef at 6.99, and chuck roast for 15.99). And members get 10% off everything else.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 PM
human

Quote:
Here's what the Buyer's Club Individual Share of Beef I picked looks like:

2 Premium Steaks (Ribeye, NY Strip, or Tenderloin;
2 Steaks (Sirloin, Ranch, Flat Iron, or other);
1lb. Ground Beef or Burger Patties;
2lb. Beef Roast (Round, Chuck, or Brisket), Stew Meat, or Stir Fry.

It's $65. The best store brand I have available is Thousand Hills at Woodmans. Purchasing this same selection there would cost me $74.94 (2 tenderloin at 14.99, 2 sirloin at 10.99, ground beef at 6.99, and chuck roast for 15.99). And members get 10% off everything else.
It's pretty hard to judge prices when you compare "numbers of cuts"/$ rather than LBS/$

I shop a few different meat markets/stores.

Kohler Co. has their own store "Woodlake" with meat market in Kohler.
http://www.americanclubresort.com/sh...oodlake-market

Miesfelds (just a little north of Sheboygan)

http://miesfelds.com/wp/

Or our local "brand name" store (Piggly Wiggle or Roundy's.

The price of beef kinda "roller coasters" depending on the cut and quality. (USDA CHOICE/PRIME/SELECT)

You have to beware that a butcher can rate their meat any way they want and it's only when the rating includes the USAD trademark can you know for certain what cut you're getting.

http://www.primesteakhouses.com/how-...ades-beef.html

......."Beware of marketing deceptions. Some supermarkets may try to fool an unsuspecting consumer by using the words "prime" and "choice" without being attached with the official "USDA shield". Unless prime and choice carries the USDA label, what you are buying may not be the real thing."........
Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
It's pretty hard to judge prices when you compare "numbers of cuts"/$ rather than LBS/$

I shop a few different meat markets/stores.

Kohler Co. has their own store "Woodlake" with meat market in Kohler.
http://www.americanclubresort.com/sh...oodlake-market

Miesfelds (just a little north of Sheboygan)

http://miesfelds.com/wp/

Or our local "brand name" store (Piggly Wiggle or Roundy's.

The price of beef kinda "roller coasters" depending on the cut and quality. (USDA CHOICE/PRIME/SELECT)

You have to beware that a butcher can rate their meat any way they want and it's only when the rating includes the USAD trademark can you know for certain what cut you're getting.

http://www.primesteakhouses.com/how-...ades-beef.html

......."Beware of marketing deceptions. Some supermarkets may try to fool an unsuspecting consumer by using the words "prime" and "choice" without being attached with the official "USDA shield". Unless prime and choice carries the USDA label, what you are buying may not be the real thing."........
Both examples are approximately 5 pounds. What I'm looking for here is the quality of the animal. Both of mine are grass fed, healthy, had room to move, etc. Your examples would likely be feedlot animals fed an unnatural diet. These are practices I wish to avoid supporting. The meat would be lower-priced, but also lower quality, lower nutrition.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

My first pickup was tonight, so this is what the individual (smallest) monthly share looks like. I'm super happy with it. I've done a lot of calling and running around in the past sourcing from local grassfed farms...and now they are doing the work for me and have a dropoff site very close to my office. They've also started doing heat and eat type meals prepared daily by their chef. One of my co-workers (who is also doing the monthly buyers club) has tried 2 now and bragged on them.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:38 PM
human

Quote:
My first pickup was tonight, so this is what the individual (smallest) monthly share looks like. I'm super happy with it. I've done a lot of calling and running around in the past sourcing from local grassfed farms...and now they are doing the work for me and have a dropoff site very close to my office. They've also started doing heat and eat type meals prepared daily by their chef. One of my co-workers (who is also doing the monthly buyers club) has tried 2 now and bragged on them.

I don't think I've ever had "uncured" bacon. How is it prepared.. and how does it's taste compared to "cured bacon"?

I don't recall ever seeing a "Beef Ball Tip Steak" cut. I've had Tenderloin, porterhouse,ribeye, T-bone, round, new york strip and flank. How does it compare?

I sure hope you don't fry that stuff in a aluminum fry pan!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
I don't think I've ever had "uncured" bacon. How is it prepared.. and how does it's taste compared to "cured bacon"?

I don't recall ever seeing a "Beef Ball Tip Steak" cut. I've had Tenderloin, porterhouse,ribeye, T-bone, round, new york strip and flank. How does it compare?

I sure hope you don't fry that stuff in a aluminum fry pan!
Uncured bacon is still technically cured....but using salt only. It's considered "cleaner eating" since there are no added nitrites. This is a new cut to me too, but I found this on it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...all-tip-steak/

And heaven forbid! I've only got cast iron skillets
Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Just wanted to share the second month's box. I realize there's not a lot of interest since I got one starred, but I'm lovin it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,787 Times in 540 Posts

Don't let the one star bother you, probably just one person that doesn't like the topic for whatever reason.

I think it's great you are interested in healthy eating and taking an interest in food.

Personally it's a bit too expensive for me. Generally I buy a whole grass fed cow about once a year and get a decent deal. I try to supplement that with "cleaner" meats as well. Though the bacon I get is pretty low quality
The Following User Says Thank You to Full Moon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 PM
human

Quote:
Just wanted to share the second month's box. I realize there's not a lot of interest since I got one starred, but I'm lovin it.

Just wondering.. how about a review? Have you noticed a significant improvement in flavor compared to local store bought meats?

Judging by your pic it doesn't look like a "months worth" of meat, the wife and I (and our dog) would go through that in a week or two. Did your last "months package" see you thru the entire month?

What kind of expiration date? I assume it's all vacuum packed and gas flushed, but will it's packing allow it to maintain freshness for an entire month?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Just wondering.. how about a review? Have you noticed a significant improvement in flavor compared to local store bought meats?

Judging by your pic it doesn't look like a "months worth" of meat, the wife and I (and our dog) would go through that in a week or two. Did your last "months package" see you thru the entire month?

What kind of expiration date? I assume it's all vacuum packed and gas flushed, but will it's packing allow it to maintain freshness for an entire month?
I've been doing grassfed options for a while now and was vegetarian before that, so I'm not a good person to do comparisons. :D My co-worker definitely noticed a difference and raves about how flavorful the bacon is though.

But it actually is a month's worth for me. I'd estimate the beef portion would become 17 dinners...the rest are a couple veggie meals, and lots of chicken as I have a freezer full of them and have a friend raising another batch for me this year. Connie is doing a larger share sized for herself and her husband, and has been doing it a few months longer than I have now and says it's working well for them. So there are other options. I don't mind working with their assortment, and it's cheaper than Thousand Hills which would be my other option for smaller portions.

It is all aged, sealed, and frozen, so it should last a year or so like Full Moon's whole cow option. That is cheaper in the long run if you can eat and store that much When I did a years worth at my last meat CSA they considered 1/8th of a cow a single share...but they moved to another location that was too small for beef and I don't know anyone else that sells less than a half.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:41 PM
human

Just a quick "general" comment about frozen foods. It's not so much a comment about the food as it is.. the freezing procedure.

For a number of years I worked for a manufacture of packaging machines and we covered most all food manufactures.

One group was called IQF All of the frozen food groups.

While installing, servicing or giving technical instructions I spent many a weeks in frozen food manufactures and the one trick they have above most everyone else is IQF

IQF is "individual quick freezing" When they freeze their products they do it in such a way that each item has "ultra cold" air circulating over most of it's surface. They are not stacked or are touching others.

This allows the food to be "frozen" MUCH faster that if we were to "toss in a baggy" of pieces (or whole) poultry/beef/pork/fruit/veggies/fish or ... what ever. The faster it's frozen (solid) the longer it will last in the freezer and... retain flavor.

IQF freezers are very special. They have a type of conveyor belt that takes the raw product and moves it thru the freezer. as soon as it comes out of the freezer (always ROCK HARD) it is packaged.

Small farm type operations do okay when they butcher one or two chickens and then place them in their freezer. But once they start bumping up their production they are putting more 'raw birds" into the freezer at one time.

The results are that this large mass of 'warm flesh' won't freeze as quickly, which often results in a loss of flavor and texture.

The same holds true beef fruit veggies fish shrimp poultry pork lamb.

Most standard consumer/pro freezer operates around 0f (zero f) and a typical IQF freezer operates around -30f.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 PM
human

oops

forgot.

If I had bigger boots (or what ever it takes) I'd give you a
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Just a quick "general" comment about frozen foods. It's not so much a comment about the food as it is.. the freezing procedure.

For a number of years I worked for a manufacture of packaging machines and we covered most all food manufactures.

One group was called IQF All of the frozen food groups.

While installing, servicing or giving technical instructions I spent many a weeks in frozen food manufactures and the one trick they have above most everyone else is IQF

IQF is "individual quick freezing" When they freeze their products they do it in such a way that each item has "ultra cold" air circulating over most of it's surface. They are not stacked or are touching others.

This allows the food to be "frozen" MUCH faster that if we were to "toss in a baggy" of pieces (or whole) poultry/beef/pork/fruit/veggies/fish or ... what ever. The faster it's frozen (solid) the longer it will last in the freezer and... retain flavor.

IQF freezers are very special. They have a type of conveyor belt that takes the raw product and moves it thru the freezer. as soon as it comes out of the freezer (always ROCK HARD) it is packaged.

Small farm type operations do okay when they butcher one or two chickens and then place them in their freezer. But once they start bumping up their production they are putting more 'raw birds" into the freezer at one time.

The results are that this large mass of 'warm flesh' won't freeze as quickly, which often results in a loss of flavor and texture.

The same holds true beef fruit veggies fish shrimp poultry pork lamb.

Most standard consumer/pro freezer operates around 0f (zero f) and a typical IQF freezer operates around -30f.
Interesting! From what I understand, it's only legal for small farms to process their own chickens for sale. Now that I'm thinking about it my last batch didn't clink around against each other in my freezers like butterballs do in the store. They are a little dry if you aren't careful, but I think that has more to do with being leaner pastured birds. And now that I have an Instant Pot and do my chickens in there they are always nice and moist.

The beef and pork need to go to an abattoir that's gooberment certified and inspected. Since that's their business I guess I expect them to have the better equipment (ETA, I found this that says they are flash frozen)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Ok, one more update now that I've tried one of their dinners. They are prepared daily from their pastured meats and range from $15-$20 (minus my 10% member discount). I picked up Chicken Parm tonight and they advertise it as 2 "hearty servings", which made 4 servings for me. My co-worker's tried 2 and reported the same portion sizes. So that means they run $3.37-$4.50 a serving. And it was DELICIOUS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post: