Little things people might forget to stock - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Forget to Stock Up at the Holiday Season Prices on Flour, Sugar, Butter... dealfinder500 Food and water 137 03-27-2015 09:16 PM
Don't forget to stock up on hammers, too... Jim Boonie Controversial News and Alternative Politics 15 01-09-2013 12:29 PM
the one thing people really forget to put in their BOB,seriously almost nobody thinks lemoneyed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 11-30-2012 12:46 AM
SHTF Items Most People Forget to Store Antonomac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-14-2012 01:19 PM
don't forget the small things in life.... Robb Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-15-2012 04:35 AM
Something some people forget to put in their preperations the gambler Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 93 03-13-2011 05:51 AM
The simple things are easy to forget wevie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-17-2011 05:08 AM
Common things we forget... Arch Stanton Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 12-09-2010 06:56 AM
the little things we often forget burningredphoenix Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 07-30-2010 06:27 PM
Forget the stock market, look at Gold & Crude Oil Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-05-2009 09:18 AM

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Little things people might forget to stock

Advertise Here

- Nail clippers and Nail file...knives and scissors are fine but its so much easier with the right tools.

- Bagbalm or something similar... Imagine yourself doing some manual labor and working up a sweat... your thighs rub together and cause a rash in the nether regions... wouldnt it be nice to have a bit of relief from that... especially knowing how much pain it could cause if you had to make a hasty retreat with a said rash...

- Eyedrops... again, working outside and you get something caught in your eye, would be nice to be able to clear your eyes with something sanitary versus using up your water stores...

Take it a step farther and you could add in a set up protective glasses. A splinter in the eye from chopping wood is a bad thing...could be prevented. (Speaking from experience on this one)

- Gloves, eveyone talks about a good set of boots, but having some work gloves can do wonders for keeping your hands healthy.

Thoughts?... additions?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Also, those who wear contact be sure to have plenty of contact solution stocked too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phantomdan2005 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomdan2005 View Post
Also, those who wear contact be sure to have plenty of contact solution stocked too.
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robH For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Antibiotics that the doctor just prescribed to you without really knowing what was wrong and just assumed that you needed them when you didn't.

zipties

Quote:
Originally Posted by robH View Post
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
I heard laser treatments can go horribly wrong, and almost always mess up your night vision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Odhinn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Internet as a BOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
Antibiotics that the doctor just prescribed to you without really knowing what was wrong and just assumed that you needed them when you didn't.

zipties

I heard laser treatments can go horribly wrong, and almost always mess up your night vision.
Laser treatment worked for me. better than 20/20 and awesome night vision
Old 03-12-2019, 12:26 PM

There are some good suggestions in here. I am seeing my preparedness in two forms - consumables that may be hard/impossible to get when the SHTF and tools and equipment that I'll want to have, ideally things you can buy once and repair.

Consumables:
Insect screen for windows
Journal books, for record keeping and for writing
Pens and pencils
Washers and gaskets for plumbing devices, for as long as they last
Spare pumps, motors & parts
Candlewick, in the largest quantities you can buy it
Paraffin wax - 10 pound blocks are available for around $20, from which can make about 20 8oz candles (unless you have lots of bees and lots of flowering area for them to feed, you’ll need a supplemental source of candle wax)
Sterile bandages and first aid items
Vegetable & herb seeds
Axe & knife blades, arrow points (you’ll make the shafts/handles yourself)
Canning jars w/ corrosion-resistant stainless lids (you can’t have enough of these, in my opinion)
Compressed sphagnum peat (for your root cellar)
Imported foods that you won’t be able to buy in the future, like coffee, some kinds of tea and spices
Eyeglasses
Glass “hurricane lamp” shades (because they break)
Plate glass
Matches
Shovel blades - they don't last forever
Bicycle tires and extra parts like tires, brake cables/pads, & chains
Fishing hooks
Eye glasses
Hurricane lamp shades for candles
Nails tacks and brads
Rodent traps
Bath towels
Sawblades

Tools you hopefully only have to buy once:
Grinding/sharpening stones (you’ll probably only need 2-3 flat stones and 2 grinding wheels for a lifetime)
Tooth extraction pliers
Dental picks (for teeth cleanings)
Sawblades (that can be sharpened)
Metal files
Hand tools such as sockets, wrenches, hammers, etc.
Drill and auger bits and a tool to sharpen them
Hand tools for wood and metal working
Files, rasps planes, and other shaping devices
2-3 scythes for shearing your grains, and straw
A good hybrid bicycle (on/off road) for each family member
1 high quality electric washing machine, or a hand-powered laundry washer (tumble type)
1 heavy duty steam kettle
1 food dehydrator - a commercially available on or one you build yourself
An industrial sewing machine - ideally one with an external motor
Several hand saws for manually felling and limbing trees, including a 1 man crosscut and a 2-man crosscut, an arborists trimming saw, a bow saw, and a tree pruner with a long handle - at least 10’, 16’ is better
Ice harvesting tools - ice auger, ice harvesting saw or ice plow, ice chisels and a large hardwood mallet
A plow meant to be drawn by your horse or mule
Many buckets and pails
If you plan to sew your own clothes, a flat iron that can heat up on the wood stove is a worthy investment. This is such ancient technology that I can’t find a manufacturer for them them anymore, so it might take a visit to online auctions, antique stores, flea markets, or rummage sales to find a good one.
A fish scaler
Leatherworking tools
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LtGreg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Aint life grand

Quote:
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCryst...ghtForYou.aspx

I'm in my early 50's and had Lasik six years ago and love it. At a distance, I can see like a turkey. Up close, I need reading glasses. The Crystalens would solve that. But $10k was steep. I can buy a lot of reading glasses for that.

As for the OP, I say stock up on sweet treats. I have FD puddings, shake mixes, lots of chocolate for the wife, mints, etc. The little things in life can still be enjoyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuggit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggit View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCryst...ghtForYou.aspx
I had Lasik around seven years ago and I love it, at least I do now.

I had complications. I wrinkled flap that required an emergency fix. I got infiltration of white blood cells (google lasik + sands of the sahara). I also had cronic dry eyes until I figured out that I was allergic to the eye lubrication drops. For over a year I had to put eye ointment in while I slept. I stopped everything and no more dry eyes. I can now see 20/20.

However, I would counter your recommendation for the Crystalens. I would advise you strongly research any surgery before seriously contemplating it.

My father worked for an eye surgeon and they would push Crystalens on patients who were getting cataract surgery. A year later, they sent out a follow up survey to the patients. They results weren't great. Most of the patients regretted getting them.

[/QUOTE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agavemountain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Nails, deck screws, rechargeable battery's, two cycle motor oil, chain saw files, solar panels, building supplies
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grummanflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I saved up for laser eye surgery back in college and was ready to go in for it. Then during the consult they said my eyes were still weakening and I wasn't ready for it yet.

So unfortunately it's not an option for everyone. Although it's certainly the best one from a survival standpoint as it doesn't depend on corrective lenses.

I'd recommend getting a rough, solid pair of eye glasses. Those kinds of frames are cheap as hell. Unlike the usual $500 set of eyeglasses, for less than $100 you can have a spare "survival" pair.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Head for the Hills!

Quote:
AMEN, AMEN and A-MEN!

Both my wife and I now consider this to be a very important part of preparation. Without our glasses, we would both be very ineffective. We are both good candidates for this as we are in our 50's and our eyes have stabilized (our lens prescriptions really haven't been changing).
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Trapper

Quote:
it doesnt always last forever keep that in mind
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM

my ex had lasix done about 10 yrs ago...and now he's back in the same boat as before his eye sight is horrible again...I have heard this from others also...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Default extras?

Extra can openers and bottle openers learned this one the other night when my hand can opener decided it was no longer going to 'work'

Diaper rash cream is okay but I would much rather have EXTRA toothpaste with blood root in it (more effective than floride in preventing gum disease and cavities)

And the kicker is grain alcohol...not to drink lol, but to use to make tinctures from plant material when the medicine runs out you will be looking at the plants around you for help and the best way to preserve and use is by making tinctures
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM
defend against tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by iempoweredhealing View Post
Extra can openers and bottle openers learned this one the other night when my hand can opener decided it was no longer going to 'work'

Diaper rash cream is okay but I would much rather have EXTRA toothpaste with blood root in it (more effective than floride in preventing gum disease and cavities)

And the kicker is grain alcohol...not to drink lol, but to use to make tinctures from plant material when the medicine runs out you will be looking at the plants around you for help and the best way to preserve and use is by making tinctures
+1 on the can openers. Go to your local military surplus store where you can get P-38's for 25¢ each
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Perception is NOT reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by iempoweredhealing View Post
my ex had lasix done about 10 yrs ago...and now he's back in the same boat as before his eye sight is horrible again...I have heard this from others also...
Modern medicine is very good at treating symptoms while doing absolutely nothing to fix the underlying causes....
The Following User Says Thank You to Head4TheHills For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Seeker of Truth

Default Think and Talk

Quote:
I thought about it, too. Then I talked to many people that it didn't work on or partially worked. I've also been told as I get older, yea I'm pretty old now, that you still have to wear glasses some times.

I'm sticking to my contacts and LOTS of solution. Added benefit is that the sensitive saline solution can be used for other things during a SHTF situation.

Good Luck
Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
My BOV is gluten-free...

Thanked 2,579 Times in 684 Posts

Because I just had to ransack the house today looking for it: liquid Tylenol and Benadryl along with a dosing chart.

Good not just for sick kids with fever like at my house, but for those who couldn't swallow pills. Being without Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction scares me.

Also:
Clothespins
Safety pins
Metal tins
I seem to be rhyming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackberry Queen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Banana Republic Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXodus View Post
I thought about it, too. Then I talked to many people that it didn't work on or partially worked. I've also been told as I get older, yea I'm pretty old now, that you still have to wear glasses some times.

I'm sticking to my contacts and LOTS of solution. Added benefit is that the sensitive saline solution can be used for other things during a SHTF situation.

Good Luck
My brother is in his late 40's and wore pop bottle glasses all his life, could not read something 4 feet in front of him..he went in for the surgury and now is free of glasses and can see better than me... it works.

Maybe not in every case, and no not a suitable solution for everyone, but... it works.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Prepared

Quote:
From what I understand, it helps a lot, but the majority of the time you still need to wear glasses afterward. They tend not to tell you that as part of their sales pitch, but it's an imperfect procedure.