Apartment dwellers - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 PM
CanadaEH

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
This.

For anyone living in an apartment, which is many and for many reasons, find an alternate location (family, friends, cabin, etc.) and plan to bug out for any extended emergencies. If a SHTF situation isn't a short term event, departing sooner rather than later is pretty much a necessity.

ROCK6

Great stuff agree with it all. Does he have transportation? We are not from this province both from back in Martimes. My side is 800 miles away very dysfunctional in day to day life if SHTF not sure if that would be our destination? We would have to get out of City that is a given... how long is the big question... then where to go is the next. When raised issue with sibling back there they think I'm crazy plus they say, "that isn't going to happen!".

I'm hoping to build a network here maybe build some allies who also are prepping? Know some local friends out of city but not very close this is a huge challenge... Bug Out Location?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dan2x38 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
If you live in an apartment your first thing to understand is that you're NOT the problem. Your main survival problem will the morons living in the other parts of the building all around you...

Amen!

Got plans for all weather i.e. Guerrilla tape, Duct Tape for windows. Tape sheets of bubble wrap in windows lots in room we hole-up in. Keep warm use also candles keeps our water supply and foods from freezing. We have winter wear and supplies for that.

-goal is 30 days emergency at home. Add to it for year supply of food...
-2 x Get Home Bags in our cars for 72 hours in proper pack. We have emerg. supplies in both cars but not good enough!

-3 x Bug Out Bags (packs) our SHTF, get Out of Dodge packs...

Top two are major priorities. Getting firearms certificate is top priority! Getting firearms and ammo having all family trained on every weapon know where each one is! This is very important to me. I am having issues selling my wife on need for firearms. She is getting more involved with the food now maybe she will lighten up? These latest emergencies do send home the message.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 PM
CanadaEH

You are so right! The reason for apartment living are all real and can't change it at the present! Would love nothing more than getting out of the city. We are at 1 million now not for me. Ottawa is unique for a metro city and especially national capitol. It is very laid back and conservative. It also has huge rural areas just minutes outside of downtown literally. Our hopes and plans are to get out buy something small with our son who lives with us (21) he'd he on the deed and all goes to him! But it is getting harder and harder lost my job Jan. work injury fighting WSIB for payments. >:-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 PM
CanadaEH

On 5th floor 12 floor building. yeah everyone else is a problem. The waste is big issue then pests. Later on you would have raiders looking for whatever they could take. Not anyone close to Bug Out To for now... :-( Working on this too...

It is so crazy how few people care about being prepared for anything. I keep quiet but listen trying to pick up on who is or might be interested... so far not found any friends or even family (800 miles away closest)

Either way still need better defenses. Have many special surprises for uninvited quests but want better. If you repel an attack they might come back better armed... I wouldn't be able to defend that! :-(
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan2x38 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

I won't quote your reply to me due to length, but it sounds like you're well on your way!

I get where you're coming from as a Christian "prepper." It can be hard sometimes to walk that fine line between responsibly preparing to provide for and defend your family vs. living in fear and failing to trust God.

Best wishes to you and yours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,896 Times in 19,105 Posts

Wanted to add:

Ex GF (we are still friends) is 10 years younger, and travel in for work.
I've talked to her (now granted she is welcome here) and reminded her that the best prep she can do is savings.

Cash is a prep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 AM
USSRsurvival.blogspot.com

Thanked 1,333 Times in 680 Posts

Depends what kinda cash. some countries that experienced a collapse had currency that were worth nothing. Now if you had foreign cash (them green notes), that's another story.

Funny to read the initial thread post: firearms are "expensive". Yes, somewhat. so is a medium range priced smartphone. is the safety of you and family a price tag... rhetorical Q.
along the same theme: plan to move out of the apt dwelling and into a rural place. that should be the long term strategy vice hoping to survive in the big city during a real pickle situation...
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,133 Times in 3,379 Posts

Amazon Canada instead of U.S. Try to have it sent to a post box instead of your physical address. Other places also have Canada websites... if nothing else, this will help with shipping costs.

Lots of camping/hunting/fishing/etc. places in Canada... may be able to pay cash for some of the stuff you need.

Itty bitty Bible double sealed in 2 Zip loc baggies for each person.

You can get appropriate sized doggie packs so your dogs can carry some of their stuff. See the threads on prepping for dogs/cats. If the fogs are little, you may have to carry them (carriers; there are backpack and frontpack types). You can teach small dogs to use a litterbox...

How big is the apartment building/complex? If it's small, say 12 or fewer families, you might be able to get to know everyone. Maybe a cookout/pot luck once a month. Maybe even everyone gets on board for benign stuff like in case the water breaks and the landlord can't fix it for a few days due to weekend/weather/holiday... or everyone gets together and asks the landlord for an improvement to the building that would be nice from a prepper standpoint, but has a good non-prepper reason (especially green energy/pollution reduction) for now. Fencing? Solar lighting? Security system? Solar power generation windows? Solar pool heater/pump? Glassed in solarium over the pool? Rooftop or solarium gardening? Greenhouse? Flowers for the pollinators? Fruit trees? Rooftop backup generator for those pesky power outages that happen sometimes because of storms or drunks hitting power poles? if you get really lucky, you and all the other residents could turn your little apartment building into a defensible castle of sorts. It is far better to make friends/allies now when there isn't hunger, cold, or fear driving pretend friendship made using trickery and lies.

Someone I know lives in an 8 family apartment building and they've managed to do a lot of this stuff and more, and all of the families are actually on board. They're all veterans, so it was a lot easier, but it shows it can be done.

Important thing, are you prepped for escape from fire? Even during regular times, fire can happen from an overloaded circuit, improperly grounded appliance, someone making meth, lightning strike, falling asleep smoking or thinking a butt is out, but it's not, etc.

Do you park under your apartment building? Are the doors electric? Is there a manual bypass so you can get your vehicle out during a power outage?

Thermal curtains help keep heat or cool air in. Blackout curtains might become necessary. Choose wisely and neither will look out of place to visitors/inspectors (you like to conserve energy, sometimes have to sleep during the day, blah, blah, blah).

If you plan on bugging out, you need to have a specific destination if at all possible. If so, that is a good place to keep some of your stuff.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 PM

prep know-how, not stuff. Learn what can be improvised to help your situaton. For example, can you make a rocket stove from bricks you pick out of the rubble that will burn smashed wood from the same demolished building after a tornado? Can you learn what wild plants in your area are edible, medicinal or otherwise useful, and know how to cook or preserve them (ie make a medicinal ticture)? How about a perimeter alarm out of trash s to alert you if something is approaching your location, especially if you are having to survive out of doors? Multifunction & adaptability is your key when getting supplies simply because space is limited. Learn, plan, think first, then prep and you won' t be wasting time, money or space. You can do a LOT in very little space with very limited funds....just ask any street person how they live and you will get LOTS of input. Not that you have to be homeless to prep, but know-how is never a wasted thing. Kudos to you for starting to prep - lets all hope we don't have to use them, and that it turns out to be a "hobby" instead of a necessity!
The Following User Says Thank You to kappydell For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,896 Times in 19,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
Depends what kinda cash. some countries that experienced a collapse had currency that were worth nothing. Now if you had foreign cash (them green notes), that's another story.
I was talking more about how she looks at my place and feels "behind"

I remind her that I'm 10 years older and that she's earning the money for her own homestead now.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,699 Times in 9,730 Posts

I have not lived in an apartment or a major city since '85. But this is what I still practise 35 yrs later:

Everyday carry gear
Sig 229 (40 Cal), Jacket, Boots, Hat, Crawford Knife, Leatherman, Micro Light, Cell Phone, Wallet, Keys.

Hydration Bag
2 L Water, (2) MREs, Flashlight, Filter Straw, Spin Rod, Reel, Tackle, Gill Net, Trot Line, (6) Snares, Vanguard knife, Nylon Poncho, Head Net, Deet, Compass, Toilet Paper, Mirror, Sizzors, Clippers, Lighter, FAK, Spare Keys.

The Vehicle BOB
Coms, Yaesu FT-8900R, Icom R-2, Antenna.
Self Rescue, Winch, Auto Tools, Full Spare, Tire Chains, Shovel, Axe, Saw, Trauma Kit, Emergency Light.
Camping Gear, Eureka Tent, LW Sleeping Bag, Foam Pad, Poncho Liner, Winter Clothing, Boots, Gloves.
Guns, TC Carbine 22 LR, Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39), Ammo, Nikon Binocs.
Food Procurement, Fishing Rods/Reels, Tackle Bag, (1) Dozen Steel Traps.
Water, (2) 2qt Canteens, (2) 6 L Water Bags, Katadin Water Filter.
Food, (4) 30 lb Food Bags w/ FD Entrees, Rice/Rolled Oats/Pasta, Peak 1 Stove, Fuel, Cooking Gear.
Cash & Documents, 10k Cash, Documents (Degree, Deed, License, Titles, Insurance Documents).

Winter Sustainment Cache
Coms, Yaesu 897D, Buddi Pole, Sangean 818.
Camping Gear, Alaskan Guide Tent, Wiggy Summer & Core Bags, Memory Foam Pad,
Guns, Sig 220 (10 mm), Ruger 77/22 (22 LR), SAI Scout Squad (308 Win), Ruger 77 (308 Win), Rem 870 (20 ga),
Food Procurement, Fishing Gear & Tackle, (4) Dozen Steel Traps.
Water, MSR Water Filter, (2) 6L Water Bags,
Food, (2) 55 gal Food drums w/ rice, beans, grain, sugar, salt, freeze dried entrees, Coleman 2 Burner Stove, Unlead Fuel, Cook Gear,
Clothing, Cash & Documents, clothing, boots, ammo, Leupold Binocs, 100k Gold, 10k Cash, Documents (Degree, Deed, License, Titles, Insurance Documents).
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcd View Post
I had an article published on survivalblog.com a while back that discusses some short-term survival options in an urban environment that might be useful...

Will go and read the links thank.

Last edited by dan2x38; 07-22-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 AM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
I won't quote your reply to me due to length, but it sounds like you're well on your way!

I get where you're coming from as a Christian "prepper." It can be hard sometimes to walk that fine line between responsibly preparing to provide for and defend your family vs. living in fear and failing to trust God.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Cool you get it! Before and after the SHTF will still be a mix. I hope we can prepare then later when rebuilding starts instill community again!!! Just imagine be part of an old fashioned barn raising instead of a barn razing? Call me crazy I think mankind/womankind all of us in other words... that we can be better versions of who we are now. And if not why would we want to nurture less then???

Not trying to convince you all to become Born Again but guess what the Bible says there will be a major SHTF events not just one and they will be terrorizing for us all. So if we believe in the event coming why not believe in the rest? :-D Just sayin'... Because then be truly prepped!

Last edited by dan2x38; 07-22-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 12:00 PM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Amazon Canada instead of U.S. Try to have it sent to a post box instead of your physical address. Other places also have Canada websites... if nothing else, this will help with shipping costs...

Lot of great ideas thanks. Our dogs to little already releaize if on foot we'll need to carry them. We've priced front carry feet out carriers... they are family 100%!

100% agreed it is one of the hardest items to prep $$$... slowly doing it because it is so important. The other thing make sure you have all small bills and quarters. Here we have coins for $1 & $2 my minimum goal is $25 quarters, $25 dollars, $50 in twos, then $200 in $5 40 equals $300. That is bare bones.

The small bills are important. We had tornado lost power almost 4 days. We had to get money from other part of city region from cash machine 100 kms 80 miles away. We stopped to get a drink of water 2 small bottles. Handed the guy a $20 he said no change... what scam artist we left the bottles and will never go there plus told many people. Say you stop for a hot dog a food truck there just 3 hot dogs on the grill. You have a 20 or 50 guy says no change they are for your kids? Yeah you see 20's be gone fast. We also had to fuel up out of town then drive back slowly to save fuel no idea when we could get more or the price?

Last edited by dan2x38; 07-22-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 PM
CanadaEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappydell View Post
prep know-how, not stuff. Learn what can be improvised to help your situaton. For example

Thanks good info... BTW I am a 70's child we did the backpacking across the country did it 3 times coast to coast plus 1,000 kms on the west coast area back and forth, we were finding ourselves... LOL We lived in the Urban Jungle it was a blast lived in camps where we cooked over fires ate banick type of native indian bread, fish, whatever once a hip of beef we just found it... LOL any ways that is valuable knowledge now. Also lot of bush experience growing up. We use to hike in Rocky mountains in Alberta and British Columbia. We camped there for week or so at times was amazing!. In 1985 worked in the Rockies we built hiking trails for the up coming World Fair in 1986. They wanted Intermediate world class hiking we were over mile high - again amazing experience fantastic summer!

The point it is so hard having that experience, knowledge and what I'm learning having so many limitations! We are storing food have found what seems like best system now. We need to keep collecting and storing. Then for emergency items no matter what it is research ways to find something that will do several things and quality. We can't buy $200 fixed blade knives but I have several quality research and tested fixed and folding blades $100 or less for fixed blades each one has more then one use... "one is none - two is one" an old adage going into bush to remember.

One of my other major expenses and need to focus on now is firearm certificate. It costs $170 takes entire day. Then you can purchase non-restricted weapons/ammo. Then you can take next course for certificate for restricted weapon pistol and semi-auto rifle both with restrictions. The latter takes 2 months after the course to apply for restricted weapon. This is expenses! Cost of firearms here is crazy. You purchase some good used firearms if well taken care of. There are also surplus Russian and Chinese 7.26x39 good prices on some semi-auto rifles fire Nato rounds. Even .22 cal are expensive here! Shotguns are so-so likely be my first purchase then bolt action rifle surplus 7.26 for right price and condition. Finally, get a good pistol. We know here the laws are changing again and soon so time is ticking assume they will get more restrictive.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM
CanadaEH

Quote:

Funny to read the initial thread post: firearms are "expensive". Yes, somewhat. so is a medium range priced smartphone. is the safety of you and family a price tag... rhetorical Q.
along the same theme: plan to move out of the apt dwelling and into a rural place. that should be the long term strategy vice hoping to survive in the big city during a real pickle situation...

Those are easy things to say... I was injured as a butcher in 93 since then my injury got worse. Ended up driving school bus for kids with special needs. Our son still lives with us and works. My wife works in great job. This January injured at work not worked since. Now fighting with WSIB for coverage! We are lucky to survive pay cheque to pay cheque. To move you need money for truck and helpers plus all the rest hook ups, etc.

So to come with $1000 for firearm and a course to even purchase a firearm or ammo ain't easy... I am no math wizard but if I take away 1 income that equals serious issue!!!

So please never question my scarify for family. You do not know me or circumstances. If I cared nothing about my family I would be spending my time researching, making, buying or whatever to prepare for them... Yes them what I do is for them because they will out live me. I might have a firearm but for now have some unwelcomed surprises for unwanted guests!

BTW I go without clothes, some foods, milk, etc. to make sure my son has enough or more then enough and my wife too! My father was a WWII Vet watched him do the same for us 3 kids so I can sure as hell do the same. Blanket judgement statements are dangerous and assumptions are pitfalls in a future SHTF scenario.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:04 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2x38 View Post
We are family 3 plus 2 little dogs great alarm system. How do you plan to get through first 30 then what? We're storing gathering but limited space. We know basics interested in apartment dwelkers strategies. Add to those challenges firearms difficult to obtain and expensive!
FIRST question?
Where are you located?
Your sentence construction means English may be a 2nd language
ergo
do you live in the USA?
If not...

Only reason I ask is the answers good for one country may need to be entirely different for another, what may be available, what can be procured, what can be shipped...?

ie A response of "find a vacant piece of ground nearby and dig a pit to store extra items." is not a good operative if you live in permafrost or you are iced over half the year.
His profile says Canada. But maybe that's just wistful thinking. (shrug)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:08 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Quote:

Those are easy things to say... I was injured as a butcher in 93 since then my injury got worse. Ended up driving school bus for kids with special needs. Our son still lives with us and works. My wife works in great job. This January injured at work not worked since. Now fighting with WSIB for coverage! We are lucky to survive pay cheque to pay cheque. To move you need money for truck and helpers plus all the rest hook ups, etc.

So to come with $1000 for firearm and a course to even purchase a firearm or ammo ain't easy... I am no math wizard but if I take away 1 income that equals serious issue!!!

So please never question my scarify for family. You do not know me or circumstances. If I cared nothing about my family I would be spending my time researching, making, buying or whatever to prepare for them... Yes them what I do is for them because they will out live me. I might have a firearm but for now have some unwelcomed surprises for unwanted guests!

BTW I go without clothes, some foods, milk, etc. to make sure my son has enough or more then enough and my wife too! My father was a WWII Vet watched him do the same for us 3 kids so I can sure as hell do the same. Blanket judgement statements are dangerous and assumptions are pitfalls in a future SHTF scenario.

Not sure what you're looking for here-? Seems like you're already aware of your financial means and limitations.

I mean, nothing nobody here can tell you about how to mitigate the expense of firearms and ammo in Canadia.

At least you have "free healthcare", right?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
One of the biggest dangers to apartment dwellers is other apartment dwellers. When the power goes out the chance of fire increase dramatically as people try to use open flames to cook or heat their apartment.
Man, I have that problem now. I know if there's every anything serious I have to get out. Too many people and too little security.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,202 Posts

Quote:
You are so right! The reason for apartment living are all real and can't change it at the present! Would love nothing more than getting out of the city. We are at 1 million now not for me. Ottawa is unique for a metro city and especially national capitol. It is very laid back and conservative. It also has huge rural areas just minutes outside of downtown literally. Our hopes and plans are to get out buy something small with our son who lives with us (21) he'd he on the deed and all goes to him! But it is getting harder and harder lost my job Jan. work injury fighting WSIB for payments. >:-(
Some great prepping ideas above.
Personally, I think you are in a better position in an apartment
than those that are in a mortgaged home/property.
The best prep is flexibility/options...and you have that being a renter.

Get yourself organized. Return yourself to the best possible physical
shape that your doctors say to hope for. Assess your strengths/knowledge
and see if there isn't a way to make a living. Many handicapped folks
generate considerable incomes. Gunsmithing, dog sitting, Uber, Realtor, etc.

If you believe that the world economy is tenuous, then use your lower
cost of living to get out of debt and start building a nest egg.
Many will scoff, but a portion of your savings should be in bitcoin
(today: Dow down 500 points; gold up 1.5%; bitcoin up 8%)
Get yourself into a free-n-clear position where you can jump
onto a distressed sale of the type of property your family needs.

You can rent until your price-point comes in.
Families who are already fully invested can only ride the
real estate and/or stock market downdraft.

It sounds like you do not think you are in a very good position...
but maybe you have the least to lose. That could be in your favor.
You can do this.