Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GRID LOCK What's your vehicle now? RUN 4 IT Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 201 11-05-2017 01:12 PM
Living Off Grid -- Assorted Considerations and thoughts ljcygnet Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 08-12-2017 03:00 PM
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 12:57 PM
Absolutely lost setting up solar power Susanna General Discussion 25 11-25-2016 10:41 AM
Cyber attack on grid right before election McLovin Manmade and Natural Disasters 47 11-23-2016 07:36 AM

Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 AM

Default Any off grid communities in Oklahoma?

Advertise Here

I haven't been able to find any so I'm thinking about starting one. I own a lot of land and a cabin up in the mountains in south eastern Oklahoma. Anyone else on here interested in living in a small off grid community or have any experience with it?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,553 Times in 6,351 Posts

As I recall there have been a few attempts.
http://m.newsok.com/article/3627692 this is six years old

https://www.google.com/amp/s/offgrid...-oklahoma/amp/
They removed the blog so Im guessing this is a wash.

There was an "intended series" (as I recall there was one article) in Backwoods Home magazine started by a freelance writer about she and a small group starting a group on an established farm.
The writing style and the accompanying photos didn't give me much hope.

There's Elohim City it's listed as a housing development do some reading up on them first for awhile they were thought of as the next Waco.

Last edited by swamppapa; 07-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Just keep remembering stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 02:18 AM

Thanks for the links and info. Ya that one link is from 2011 and the other link said it wasn't working anymore. But I recognized that portable cabin in the second one, and that is "Bill and Rosa off grid". They have a YouTube channel that I follow. I know all about Elohim City. You're right about them being the next Waco. They're a extremist religious cult but very well organized and armed. I posted a few Craigslist adds about starting a off grid community in the past, but unfortunately I got a lot of replies from people who were just looking for a place to squat or live for free, and really weren't interested in being a productive member. Seems like it's not as common here in Oklahoma as in some of the other states. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Survivor

A lot of people think "dust bowl" when they here "Oklahoma"
The problems that have been discussed on various threads here boils down to who would own what?, who's responsible for what?, and if someone invests time, materials and money into something on land that they don't own how do they recover their value (investment).

There's the issue of who's in charge. What form of governance?

Discussion understandably devolves from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,067 Posts

I'll be frank, and it's not meant to be rude: I question the decision-making skills of anyone who advertises or searches for roommates on craigslist. I double that skepticism for people who try to start a survivalist community with complete strangers by advertising on a forum they just joined.

But what do I know...people find their soulmates on internet dating sites, so maybe themed communities are just the next evolution of internet matchmaking.

Best of luck on your project.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 PM

Just Jeff, maybe you misunderstood my original post? It wasn't an attempt to start a community with anyone. It was an attempt to learn about it from other members who may have experience on the topic, because I would like to learn more and then try and start a off grid community someday. My Craigslist posts were to see if any other people would be interested or have experience or knowledge about it. But unfortunately all the replies were negative. So I totally agree with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaceful Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Swamppapa, people like that have no clue about Oklahoma 😀. The eastern half is lush and green with woods everywhere. Mountains, rivers, lakes and creeks, and so much more. 👍
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaceful Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 10:58 PM

In the meantime I'll just keep on working on my off grid survival retreat. At least that way if I never accomplish creating a off grid community I haven't wasted my time.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,040 Times in 599 Posts

You may be totally legit. I would be real hesitant in telling a new person about any community/preppers. (especially to a person who has just joined on a site like this) Broadcasting such information could put that community at risk, especially via a public forum. Some people aren't preparing. They plan to take from those that spent years of hard work to get where they are. I'm not saying that is what you are doing at all. I am saying that you should get to know people on places like here. You will run into the right people locally, eventually. If you go to the right places, and shop at certain places you might find people that are like-minded. There is a ton of nuggets to glean off of sites such as this one. You can also ask questions here. People will respond. That is a great starting point, in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to ETXgal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Warrior View Post
Swamppapa, people like that have no clue about Oklahoma 😀. The eastern half is lush and green with woods everywhere. Mountains, rivers, lakes and creeks, and so much more. 👍
Hush now, you know it's horrible,what with fighting Injuns, wiping dust from our plates, and we have to squeeze water from the mud so the pigs can swaller the strangers we feed them. 😂😉
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETXgal View Post
You may be totally legit.… You will run into the right people locally, eventually. If you go to the right places, and shop at certain places you might find people that are like-minded.…
I've run in to several newbs putting together their bags they're easy to spot. They're in the camping section of wallyworld with a basket a jansport backpack or two staring at the Ozark mountain stuff buying the same number of things
I.e. 2 backpacks = 2 Mylar blankets, 2 hatchets, 2 mag blocks, 2 bright orange match safes. etc. etc.
They also stand in front of the mountain house display at Academy, arguing about the taste of something they haven't eaten and don't plan to eat, unless they're caught by an EMP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETXgal View Post
You may be totally legit. I would be real hesitant in telling a new person about any community/preppers. (especially to a person who has just joined on a site like this) Broadcasting such information could put that community at risk, especially via a public forum. Some people aren't preparing. They plan to take from those that spent years of hard work to get where they are. I'm not saying that is what you are doing at all. I am saying that you should get to know people on places like here. You will run into the right people locally, eventually. If you go to the right places, and shop at certain places you might find people that are like-minded. There is a ton of nuggets to glean off of sites such as this one. You can also ask questions here. People will respond. That is a great starting point, in my opinion.
That makes sense and I don't blame you or anyone for being cautious. 👍