Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trout lines, jug lines, limb lines etc... boulevardtalonman Boating and Fishing 11 07-10-2016 01:25 PM
Minor Tropical Storm Yields Gas lines in LINY KaBar67 General Discussion 2 07-03-2014 05:47 AM
Running Generators on gas vapors to save gas usmountains Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 102 09-25-2012 01:52 PM
Plastic Gas Can, long term gas storage Hawkeye10 New Member Introduction 10 01-12-2012 08:28 AM
Zip Lines jeepcop24 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 09-08-2010 11:34 AM
Reporting In From Behind the Lines! Dan K New Member Introduction 19 07-21-2010 05:41 AM
Local gas stations caught price gouging on gas.... countryboy123 General Discussion 15 09-16-2008 10:38 PM
Internet lines. SouthernSurvivor07 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 02-12-2008 11:59 AM
Gas Problems and NC rasies it Gas Tax, they loveit's citizens madcritter General Discussion 1 01-03-2008 06:26 PM
Explosions Strike Mexican Gas Lines Graywolf General Discussion 0 09-10-2007 07:25 PM

Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 PM

Default Gas Lines

Advertise Here

Gas prices are going up in the Triangle. I think some of this may be price gouging. However, I have seen more folks than usual waiting at the pumps.

Regular:
Lowest price 1.99/gal
Highest price 2.29/gal

A lot of prices in between those 2 numbers. Gasbuddy.com is showing some prices as high as 2.45/gal
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 12:27 AM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,101 Times in 1,848 Posts

"Price gouging" is just a bull**** PC term for capitalism or market forces.

If prices are raised too high, no one will buy. Then they will drop and buying will pick up. A balance will soon be reached.

This also helps to prevent shortages when supply drops, as people who do not truly need something are not willing to pay the higher price whereas they will buy all they can when the price is held low by government edict.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM

I've seen a couple of outages in the Triangle and heard of problems in Greensboro/Burlington on Sunday. More outages in Greenville, Fayetteville and points east, Monday.

Stations seem to have diesel, but gas prices are $0.00 for empty tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Prepared

There were some deliveries in the Raleigh area today, 87 only at 2.29. They're supposed to start pumping again tomorrow, but it will take some time to build reserves back up at the tank farms, distribution facilities and refill the hundreds (or thousands) of local station tanks. If I were guessing, I'd say supplies return to a normal level by next Monday and prices stay above two bucks for at least 3-4 weeks.

I filled up all three of my vehicles late Friday evening when I first learned of the issue, and then filled my 100 gallon RV tank Saturday morning, all for under 2 bucks a gallon.

I don't consider myself a 'panic buyer'...I was three days ahead of them. Knowing human nature and Murphy's Law, I simply saw it as a prep.

With the fuel pump and connections easily accessible behind a small compartment door, pumping into the container of my choice would be a pretty simple matter...just remember to bond and ground vehicles and containers to prevent static sparks!!!

Oh, yeah...I did drop $20 a piece for locking gas caps.

Last edited by se'kunchance; 09-20-2016 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: ommission
The Following User Says Thank You to se'kunchance For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 PM

The pipeline break occurred Sept 9th. We went ~7 days (Sept 16) before local news picked the story. That generated the panic buying. Another 2 days and some stations on main roads were empty or had long lines. Some places are getting resupply via tanker trucks.

By my estimate, about 10 days of fuel in the main storage depots.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:25 PM

I'm in the High Point area and lots of stations were out earlier this week. Except, there was one Shell gas station I noticed had a tanker leaving around lunch time every day. Did a little research and apparently Shell owns around a 16% stake in that pipeline. And being that it was on Eastchester right down the road from the #1 tank storage facility for the east coast (Greensboro) it makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterKrazee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,098 Times in 615 Posts

This was nothing compared to the tropical storm (2008?) that affected Gulf state refineries.

Back then, every independent here was out of gas for a month.

Within several miles of my home only a single Exxon station regularly had fuel - and then only regular (87 octane.)

If a major (category 4 or 5) hurricane hit those same refineries...well, that's one of the reasons we've all got bicycles (& why we live less than 5 miles from work/school)
The Following User Says Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post: