Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is a Siglock - part Sig part Glock Gunner65 Pistol and Revolver Forum 15 02-27-2015 12:56 PM
GOLD - 1 part purchasing power, 1 part FEAR MikeinLA Financial Forum 48 12-14-2010 12:40 PM
Part review, part how to M97 parka and liner. Pawiscoming Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 12-04-2010 11:02 PM
I want to be a part of it, NY, NY.... junglecrawler General Discussion 3 05-01-2010 08:38 PM
Do you want to be part of HaroldWayneHamlin Books, Movies & Stories 4 02-09-2010 02:03 AM
The Ark ch 1 part 1 of 2 HaroldWayneHamlin Books, Movies & Stories 1 08-28-2009 09:45 AM
It¯s every man for himself now¯ part 3 countryboy123 General Discussion 1 07-02-2009 03:35 PM
Where would you like to be WTSHTF Part II - What part of East TN? JustSurviving Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 04-20-2009 04:13 PM
A Covenant with Death by Bill Cooper Part 3 (Last Part) Gunner65 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 10-01-2008 06:01 PM

Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Default New Member

Advertise Here

New Member here. Pitt County. Greenville
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,526 Times in 676 Posts

Good to have you. Been around those parts a few times....partied a lot at ECU.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Wilkes county here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 PM

Moore county
Old 01-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Target Shooter

Born in Haywood County. Grew up partly there and partly in Buncombe County. Family roots are from a little further west in the Cherokee and Macon County areas.

I've lived in Wyoming for many years, and I do enjoy the Rockies, especially elk hunting. But WNC and the southern Appalachians will always be my place, my people, my kin, and my kind.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Death's Collection Agent

Thanked 8,668 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611 View Post
Born in Haywood County. Grew up partly there and partly in Buncombe County. Family roots are from a little further west in the Cherokee and Macon County areas.

I've lived in Wyoming for many years, and I do enjoy the Rockies, especially elk hunting. But WNC and the southern Appalachians will always be my place, my people, my kin, and my kind.
Welcome. My father's mother and my mothers grandmother were born in Macon. As were their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. My mothers grandfathers were born in McMinn and Cocke Counties in Tennessee, as were their parents, grandparents, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Owl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
Welcome.
Thank you.

Quote:
My father's mother and my mothers grandmother were born in Macon. As were their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.
My mother's family goes back several generations in the Nantahala region. My father's family was from Andrews. I still consider those areas to be my "spiritual home" so to speak. Lots of Tombstones in the old Briartown cemetery, the old Camp Branch cemetery, and the Valleytown cemetery.

Quote:
My mothers grandfathers were born in McMinn and Cocke Counties in Tennessee, as were their parents, grandparents, etc.
Well, that's ironic. Some of my Macon County ancestors came to Macon County from Cocke County, Tennessee. The earliest record we can find is an ancestor filing on land in Rutherford County in the 1760s. That probably means he had ancestors that landed in Charelston and came up through South Carolina to Rutherford County but that's speculation. From there the family line went to west to Cocke County and then back east to Macon County. I don't know why.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 AM

caswell county.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Death's Collection Agent

Thanked 8,668 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Thank you.

My mother's family goes back several generations in the Nantahala region. My father's family was from Andrews. I still consider those areas to be my "spiritual home" so to speak. Lots of Tombstones in the old Briartown cemetery, the old Camp Branch cemetery, and the Valleytown cemetery.

Well, that's ironic. Some of my Macon County ancestors came to Macon County from Cocke County, Tennessee. The earliest record we can find is an ancestor filing on land in Rutherford County in the 1760s. That probably means he had ancestors that landed in Charelston and came up through South Carolina to Rutherford County but that's speculation. From there the family line went to west to Cocke County and then back east to Macon County. I don't know why.

They could have came like some of mine. One branch came through Charleston, then to Buncombe County, then to Macon, Cherokee, and Graham. The one who migrated from Charleston first had a bit of wanderlust, because he lived in all those counties, then last we heard, he moved to a place called Ivy Log, in northern Georgia. His children and grandchildren spread all across Appalachia. But weve been able to trace that branch all the way back to Dieppe, France, about 1530-40.

One of my ggg-grandfathers seems to have "magically" appeared in Cocke County around 1830. All we really know about him is that he was fluent in German, French, and Cherokee. He married a Cherokee girl who, unfortunately, became so fat, she couldnt climb on a wagon, so he constructed a "wheeled seat" that was hitched to the back of the wagon. They married in 1841, but only after her father made him put up a marriage bond of $1250. In today's money, that would be about $27,837.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:55 PM

Pitt county
Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Davidson County. :D
Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 PM

Guilford county here
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Take a guess
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,547 Posts

I lived in Lexington, NC as a child for about 9 years...I forgot what county that is though???

Tons of awesome memories with my buddies and playing in the woods, etc.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,042 Times in 468 Posts
Default Where's the best place for a retiree?

I'm going to retire in North Carolina in a few years, since my sister lives there and the weather is a lot better than the place I live now.

Please tell me where the best place is for a retired couple to be: we looked out in the Brevard area last year, but it seemed to me to be a little too "big city" for my taste, and the real estate agent gushed about all the restaurants and other great stuff where I could spend money, and then tried to sell us a house that I wouldn't have touched on a bet.

My wife wants to live near everything: near the church, near the hospital, near the doctor's office, near the mall, near the grocery store, near everything. I keep telling her that I've already been to New York City and I didn't like it much, but if she wants to be near everything, that would be the spot, and that if she never wants to move again she should look for a house in a graveyard.

My sister said I need to avoid a place she calls "Rurlarea", where people have gun racks in their trucks, and now my wife thinks that's a terrible place we can't go to. I told her I like having some space around me and I like guys who are willing to depend on themselves and their kin without expecting help from others, but she's deathly afraid of "Rurlarea" anyway.

If it were up to me, I'd buy an old firetower and settle in for the duration, and when my wife said she doesn't want to live on a hill, I told her "That's what four-wheel drive vehicles are for", but she's being obstinate about it and I'm looking for a place we both get some of what we want.

So, suggestions welcome. Thank in advance.

William Warren
Old 02-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Warren View Post
I'm going to retire in North Carolina in a few years, since my sister lives there and the weather is a lot better than the place I live now.

Please tell me where the best place is for a retired couple to be: we looked out in the Brevard area last year, but it seemed to me to be a little too "big city" for my taste, and the real estate agent gushed about all the restaurants and other great stuff where I could spend money, and then tried to sell us a house that I wouldn't have touched on a bet.

My wife wants to live near everything: near the church, near the hospital, near the doctor's office, near the mall, near the grocery store, near everything. I keep telling her that I've already been to New York City and I didn't like it much, but if she wants to be near everything, that would be the spot, and that if she never wants to move again she should look for a house in a graveyard.

My sister said I need to avoid a place she calls "Rurlarea", where people have gun racks in their trucks, and now my wife thinks that's a terrible place we can't go to. I told her I like having some space around me and I like guys who are willing to depend on themselves and their kin without expecting help from others, but she's deathly afraid of "Rurlarea" anyway.

If it were up to me, I'd buy an old firetower and settle in for the duration, and when my wife said she doesn't want to live on a hill, I told her "That's what four-wheel drive vehicles are for", but she's being obstinate about it and I'm looking for a place we both get some of what we want.

William Warren
Leland, about 10 minutes away from where i live, is a nice little town. Its right on the outskirts of Wilmington, which is much bigger, so you'd be close to everything, but theres alot of woods and open land. And its less than 30 minutes away from a beautiful beach. Castle Hayne is a nice town thats very similar but a bit smaller.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
My sister said I need to avoid a place she calls "Rurlarea", where people have gun racks in their trucks, and now my wife thinks that's a terrible place we can't go to.
Then your wife may not like North Carolina. I don't mean this place in North Carolina or that place in North Carolina, I mean North Carolina.

The south will never be New England so don't move there from New England and try to make it so. You will be resented for that.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
.....but she's being obstinate about it and I'm looking for a place we both get some of what we want.

Virginia or Maryland?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,042 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Then your wife may not like North Carolina. I don't mean this place in North Carolina or that place in North Carolina, I mean North Carolina.

The south will never be New England so don't move there from New England and try to make it so. You will be resented for that.
Yes, I know. I'm not going to try to convert any Tar Heels, trust me: I've had quite enough of "Taxachusetts", and it's tight-arsed holier-than-thou attitudes.

The question is "How do I convince my wife"? I've got this winter on my side, so the weather is an easy sell, but how do I show her that clean air and a little elbow room is a good thing?

I'd just as soon buy back my old Airstream and put in at the middle of ten or so acres, but she's afraid of being more than 10 minutes away from anything. I'm still looking for ideas.

William Warren
Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Living in Texas now. Family originally settled in Beaufort in the mid 1700s. Most moved in land to Green, Pitt, Wilson, and Nash counties. Still get back to NC when I can.