Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Precious Metals doublenut9 Financial Forum 10 09-08-2013 10:22 AM
Why precious metals? TonyDedo Financial Forum 22 11-15-2012 10:30 AM
Precious Metals IRA Lady_Patriot Financial Forum 5 10-13-2012 08:49 PM
Precious Metals txflyer Financial Forum 35 06-08-2012 10:48 AM
When precious metals are actually useful Benjamen Financial Forum 7 02-28-2012 11:23 AM
Precious Metals Deviated Rationality Financial Forum 15 10-21-2011 06:46 PM
less precious metals Go Davy Go Financial Forum 24 07-21-2011 01:06 PM
Precious Metals versus Precious Gems ackbob Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 11-16-2009 07:23 PM
Precious metals Azreal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 09-24-2009 07:39 PM
Precious metals Dentoro General Discussion 3 01-21-2009 03:31 PM

Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Hunter

Default Why Precious Metals?

Advertise Here

In a functioning society, I think I get it. Gold and silver have still have some industrial uses, not as much as it used to when photography used silver and computers were full of gold.

But, if SHTF, we have an economic and industrial crash... what is left to make gold, silver and other precious metals valuable? (It can be made into an art piece to make your wife feel good and happy?)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southtex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

The are pretty and shiny just like what made them valuable long before. Them along with gem stones will always have value to someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtex View Post
In a functioning society, I think I get it. Gold and silver have still have some industrial uses, not as much as it used to when photography used silver and computers were full of gold.

But, if SHTF, we have an economic and industrial crash... what is left to make gold, silver and other precious metals valuable? (It can be made into an art piece to make your wife feel good and happy?)

So, as long as the dollar is still in use, the precious metals will preserve your buying power.

China and Saudi Arabia both have a vested interest in divesting themselves of US bonds slowly. They will buy Gold as they unwind their foreign reserves.

Thus precious metals will rise, as the dollar heads to the toilet.

If there is an abrupt, catastrophic event, the value of precious metals will be anyone's guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundsvall For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,330 Posts

How long have Pm's been used for currency or trade? How long have computers been in existence? There is your answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to disidoro For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Prepared

Thanked 18,477 Times in 8,483 Posts

Gold makes kings, despots and tyrants happy also. Indeed, the gold standard was in place long before the industrial revolution.

The real trick, I imagine, is how you obtain the gold you have in the first place -- not whether you have any. Work 80 hours/week selling your labor/life for it? Or grow a business and roll some of your surplus wealth into it?

Quote:

Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:

Those with good foresight and already well prepped would have done well do well to also trade for gold and silver during SHTF. Reason is SHTF will eventually pass. Just like Katrina would eventually pass, just like Hiroshima, just like Chernobyl, fall of Russia etc etc and then they would have to join the rest of the world again.

Even an economic collapse. Just because an economy collapses doesn't mean everyone dies off. Those in power will want to RE-ESTABLISH their power and economy ASAP. The first nation to do so will gain an advantage over the world. This will be done with gold and silver.

So many plan for the SHTF event and not AFTERWARDS?!?! It is like the couple that puts so much planning on the wedding and spending 20 grand but never think about the 50 years AFTER the wedding...

Every SHTF scenario since the dawn of modern man has re-joined society and rebuilt again... even the ones that have had economic collapse.

What do you think will happen after an economic collapse? That everyone is going to croak and die? Or do you think people will want to re-establish again?

Now DURING the collapse, gold will be a hunk of metal. But those with good foresight will be accepting gold and silver as trade so when the storm passes they will be in a great position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,271 Times in 5,561 Posts

This is just my take...but one that's held solid for longer than recorded history.

Precious metals might just be the best investment of prepping.

Having stored food, firearms and such didn't help a whole lot of people who instead bought their way out of the Warsaw Ghetto, the Killing Fields of Cambodia, and Saigon after it fell-gold and silver did. Gold and silver might be what it takes to get you back to your stored food and fuel. There will be many people who store food, fuel and ammunition and such, and there will be a smaller group who are good at acquiring precious resources when they become more valued, and those astute people, who will have power through 'wealth' will also vie for and work for, precious metals. Then, as it's always been, the time to buy precious metals is before. I'm not going to be impressed or influenced by #10 cans of beans and rice or canisters of oatmeal for a long, long time after the SHTF...but right now and later, a lot of folks like me will talk gold and silver.

One of the best bits of advice I gave to one of my sons was to buy precious metals. This wasn't too long ago, when it was just over $17 an ounce. Last week, when it was over $34 he traded it in for one of the higher quality Rock River Arms.

Last edited by Prepping; 07-02-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 AM

it is defiantly diversity in your insurance policy. They are known value. If USD is worthless, people will fly very quickly to anything that is real value, or perceived value.

I like junk silver and nickles for a fixed currency for step above barter :D
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 14,175 Times in 4,470 Posts

Well did you see the artical about people selling there gold teeth. Read the article and then make up your own mind. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75T5BL20110630
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 13,061 Times in 5,214 Posts

As a means to preserve wealth/value. (No, I'm not wealthy)
I've been collecting silver for decades. I like it, it's shiny. lol
I still believe it's a decent deal at $35/oz. I'll pick up an ounce now and then.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascals View Post
Well did you see the artical about people selling there gold teeth. Read the article and then make up your own mind. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75T5BL20110630
link didn't work but I assume they were selling gold for cash, that seems to be the play now, at some point that should reverse unless .gov prevents it.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,350 Times in 3,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
So many plan for the SHTF event and not AFTERWARDS?!?!
Because to some people, the SHTF event is going to be their escape from a dull, boring, and/or difficult current life. It's the event they can celebrate that's finally going to stick it to the man. The exciting and adventerous idea of a Mad Max world is not what they're prepping to survive, it's what they're prepping FOR. They don't want an "afterwards"... they want to play Book of Eli forever.

As I've said before, I blame survival fiction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadmeat99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Prepared

They will be more valuable in a economic shtf scenario. As we progress through the death of the dollar, more people will walk up and recognize the value of pm as a store of wealth and a tool of exchange.

I would gladly exchange my services and stuff for gold and silver now and I will be just as glad to do it when shtf because I won't be taking fiat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr2005 For This Useful Post: