Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rethinking SHTF Rifle And Ammunition Stockpile kev Military Weapons Forum 147 02-11-2019 09:42 AM
Which Conspiracy Theories Do you Believe In? Porkchop Samich Polls and Surveys 106 01-31-2019 10:25 PM
Considering .44 Magnum revolver. stings1918 Pistol and Revolver Forum 64 11-07-2017 10:42 AM
Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum Stainless Revolver 4-inch 5 Rd from $439.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 08-28-2017 09:12 PM
Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum rifle H006 (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 11:24 AM

Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Gatorbait

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
My all time favorite gun is my Marlin 357 lever action. Mine has the Ballard rifling and shoots lead bullets just fine. I reload and have made pop gun round ball loads that would work for small game hunting and of course full power loads. But I like a mid range 357 load best. I use a 357 case with a hard cast lead bullet and 6.6grs of unique. I am not sure of the rifle speeds but it gets around 1100fps from a handgun. So probably between 1300-1400fps from the rifle and no leading.

I also have a Marlin 44 mag with Ballard rifling and killed one deer with it. Its a deer killing machine. My bud has used his 44 mag to kill around 10 deer so far. None have ran very far after being hit.

I had a 45-70 but got tired of being slammed by it when I shot it so I made reduced loads of 300gr bullets loaded to 1600fps. Then the light went on and I thought "this is the same power range as a 44 mag" and so I sold the 45-70 and bought the 44 mag. For the close range whitetail hunting I do it will work fine. So will the 357 if I took it on a hunt. Deer season is coming. Maybe the 357 will make a trip to the ranch with me.
I thought about the 45-70 but the 44 is so smooth with almost no kick.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,942 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
How is it to 50 yards without a scope? 100 yards with?
For a rifleman..... Learn how to shoot your rifle. The 44 magnum is a 200 yard rifle if needed to be! With Irons. Scope it and it is much easier. I own this caliber in both rifle (Marlin 1894s) and Ruger Redhawk. It's a man's caliber.

Love your username! Excellent reference. Kudos!
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Quote:
How is it to 50 yards without a scope? 100 yards with?
For a rifleman..... Learn how to shoot your rifle. The 44 magnum is a 200 yard rifle if needed to be! With Irons. Scope it and it is much easier. I own this caliber in both rifle (Marlin 1894s) and Ruger Redhawk. It's a man's caliber.

Love your username! Excellent reference. Kudos!
Thanks and please realize not everyone has 20/20 vision. I can shoot just fine with irons, I just can’t see what I’m shooting at out to 100 yards. Now if you want me to blindly blast away at 200 yards, I feel sorry for every tree that slightly resembles a deer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Yes you can shoot the 44 mag at 200 yards. But it is not consistent enough for me to shoot at deer with it at that range. The animals deserve better than that. If you want to shoot game at that range get a gun and sighting system better suited for it. You want to bust rocks on the side of a hill at 200 yards and open sights then have at it.

The 44 mag is much better as a short range rifle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Well I finally decided to go with the Henry Big Boy. So far it is turning out to be a good decision. The action is not as smooth as I thought it would be based on the other Henry I have and reviews I looked at online but it is something that should improve over time. Iím looking forward to running more tests as Iíve only recently put some rounds through it.
Got a couple .44 Magnum carbines around here, and I really do love my Henry Big Boy. Sure hangs nice on target. Didn't care for the bright gold look, so I artificially aged it.

Is yours the brass frame version as well? I've heard that they are not the best choice to mount a scope on, as the material is a little soft, and the (slight) recoil with the weight of a scope will eventually round the screw holes.

May want to consider a peep sight, if your eyes are a little slow to adjust and see the sights and target all at "the same time".
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Got a couple .44 Magnum carbines around here, and I really do love my Henry Big Boy. Sure hangs nice on target. Didn't care for the bright gold look, so I artificially aged it.

Is yours the brass frame version as well? I've heard that they are not the best choice to mount a scope on, as the material is a little soft, and the (slight) recoil with the weight of a scope will eventually round the screw holes.

May want to consider a peep sight, if your eyes are a little slow to adjust and see the sights and target all at "the same time".
Mine is brass as well. I've thought about aging it and I've thought about just handling it enough to naturally age it more quickly.

I really enjoy iron sights on this one as I have other guns I use for scoped shooting. I usually spend a lot of time letting my eyes focus back and forth between the target and sights before squeezing the trigger. It's all about breathing and focus for me when I'm target shooting.

What process did you use to age your receiver and stock plate?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Yes you can shoot the 44 mag at 200 yards. But it is not consistent enough for me to shoot at deer with it at that range. The animals deserve better than that. If you want to shoot game at that range get a gun and sighting system better suited for it. You want to bust rocks on the side of a hill at 200 yards and open sights then have at it.

I purchased it primarily for less than 100 yard shooting and probably more like 50 yard shooting so it's working well for me so far. I would use a different rifle for anything at 200 yards even if this gun will do it.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Mine is brass as well. I've thought about aging it and I've thought about just handling it enough to naturally age it more quickly.

I really enjoy iron sights on this one as I have other guns I use for scoped shooting. I usually spend a lot of time letting my eyes focus back and forth between the target and sights before squeezing the trigger. It's all about breathing and focus for me when I'm target shooting.

I think it was Birchwood Casey Superblue. Not applied directly, as it would just purely blacken the brass. I kind of put a bunch of oil on the brass, then poured the blue on steel wool and rubbed in until I got a bunch of varied colours.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Quote:

I think it was Birchwood Casey Superblue. Not applied directly, as it would just purely blacken the brass. I kind of put a bunch of oil on the brass, then poured the blue on steel wool and rubbed in until I got a bunch of varied colours.
Would love to see the result
Old 10-19-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would love to see the result
I'll see if I can dig up a couple more close ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_172114_1571469779892.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	293048  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,942 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote:

Elmer Keith shot a mule deer buck at 200 yards with a 4" S&W revolver. I used to shoot turtles and snakes at 100 yards with my 6 1/2" Single Six.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:28 AM

I believe the oil was more important than the steel wool. But the reaction with the wool probably added color and and softened the reaction with the brass. The first pic is with a Buck knife that I've carried pretty regular over 25+ years to compare with a naturally aged brass. The other side of the receiver did not turn out quite as organic, as I tried to treat spots in a random pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_125026_1571552225608.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	293074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_124801_1571552328109.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	293076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_124845_1571552378209.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	293078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_124750_1571552454785.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	293080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_124819_1571552517471.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	293082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180309_124737_1571552589920.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	293084  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
I believe the oil was more important than the steel wool. But the reaction with the wool probably added color and and softened the reaction with the brass. The first pic is with a Buck knife that I've carried pretty regular over 25+ years to compare with a naturally aged brass. The other side of the receiver did not turn out quite as organic, as I tried to treat spots in a random pattern.
Those are some great pictures! It came out really good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,099 Times in 3,732 Posts

The Rossi 92 has a smooth action for the money. They get a bad rap by some, but I have almost nothing but good things to say about mine. It's butter smooth, and very reliable, and accurate. My only issue is that the loading gate spring is a bit stiff, and the edges of it are a bit sharp.

I started with a 24" octagon barrel rifle, and had it cut to 17". Then I removed that pretty, but painful to shoot curved butplate. (in favor of a recoil pad) Then I added a section of rail to the top flat of the barrel for a Sig Romeo 5 and a light on a Thorntail mount. The bolt mounted safety got kicked for a Steve's Gunz peep sight, and a Steve's Gunz large loop lever, and a facebook group sourced leather ammo cuff finished it off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
The Rossi 92 has a smooth action for the money. They get a bad rap by some, but I have almost nothing but good things to say about mine. It's butter smooth, and very reliable, and accurate. My only issue is that the loading gate spring is a bit stiff, and the edges of it are a bit sharp.

I started with a 24" octagon barrel rifle, and had it cut to 17". Then I removed that pretty, but painful to shoot curved butplate. (in favor of a recoil pad) Then I added a section of rail to the top flat of the barrel for a Sig Romeo 5 and a light on a Thorntail mount. The bolt mounted safety got kicked for a Steve's Gunz peep sight, and a Steve's Gunz large loop lever, and a facebook group sourced leather ammo cuff finished it off.
Looks like you have it set up as a self-defense weapon? I’m assuming that’s why you cut the barrel down and added the light. How heavy is it and how does it swing?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Elmer Keith shot a mule deer buck at 200 yards with a 4" S&W revolver. I used to shoot turtles and snakes at 100 yards with my 6 1/2" Single Six.
IIRC he also shot a wounded elk at 600 yards. So what? Does that make a 4" barreled revolver an elk gun? No, not unless the range is kept very short. Maybe 75 yards max.

And those long shots he made were just luck shots. He did practice at long range but he fired several times at that 600 yard elk and walked the bullets in until he connected. Just luck.

Its not that the gun or the shooter can't make a longer shot. Its that the animal takes all the risk. The most that might happen to you is a tag goes unfilled. Make a bad shot and just hit a leg or the gut and that animal will run. And nothing can run like a wounded elk. And there is a real possibility that the animal will escape to die a long painful death. The animals we hunt deserve better than that. I am all for hunting. I just bought a new Ruger American Rifle in 243 and plan on using it on deer this year. But you can bet I will not take the shot unless I am absolutely certain it will be a kill shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Looks like you have it set up as a self-defense weapon? Iím assuming thatís why you cut the barrel down and added the light. How heavy is it and how does it swing?
Don't have a way to weigh it, but it moves pretty good for an octagon barrel gun. Yes, I wanted a defensive gun I could take on my travels to areas not AR friendly... It's fast, accurate, and 9+1 of .44 mag is good for anything inside self defense ranges.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
It was 600 yards, but he missed the first 4 shots.
The deer was already wounded.:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-shot-handgun/

Quote:
The bare bones of the story are these. In the mid-1950s, shortly after Smith & Wesson introduced the Model 29 .44 magnum revolver, Keith and a rifle-toting friend were hunting mule deer and the friend, who was out ahead of Keith, shot and wounded a mule deer buck on an adjacent ridge. Since the rifleman was making a mess of things, Keith assumed a reclining position bracing his gun arm along his leg and commenced to shoot at the deer with a 6-inch-barreled Model 29.

The first four shots were misses but Keith was able to walk the rounds onto the buck; the fifth hit him and the sixth killed him. Keith claimed the distance from him to the deer was 600 yards, and he was challenged on it the rest of his life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Don't have a way to weigh it, but it moves pretty good for an octagon barrel gun. Yes, I wanted a defensive gun I could take on my travels to areas not AR friendly... It's fast, accurate, and 9+1 of .44 mag is good for anything inside self defense ranges.
It seems like the one that you modified would work well for any handgun range.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
It seems like the one that you modified would work well for any handgun range.
"Poh-tay-toe" / "Poh-tah-toe"... but the reason I say "defensive" range over "handgun" range is a handgun typically has much more limited range. (and power) The .44 mag (and .357 mag) when fired out of a rifle / carbine barrel can be pretty damn effective out to 100 yds or so. No way in hell, I'd try that with a 9mm or .45 ACP, and expect good terminal ballistics (or decent accuracy) on a deadly threat. (even out of a PCC)

I call it my "Combat Cowboy Carbine". Now I just need one in a takedown version... $$$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post: