hatchet or knife for BOB/backpacking? - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article - How To Pick a Skinning Knife kev Knives, Swords & Axes 46 10-21-2019 06:06 AM
Not one knife to survive, I count at least five. Hick Industries Knives, Swords & Axes 61 01-21-2018 03:03 PM
Anatomy of a cheap fixed blade knife; Mtech-092 Also sold as Spear Point Defender) Cannabiscuredcancer Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos 3 05-15-2017 02:17 AM
My current survival knife system Lee2017 Knives, Swords & Axes 45 04-20-2017 07:47 PM

Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,354 Times in 697 Posts

Advertise Here

A good survival Tomahawk a hunting knife and a small skinning knife.

A survival tomahawk is both a tool and weapon. get one with a long handle.
The vikings use there viking axes as there main weapons along with there swords.

I like a tomahawk with a blade on one side for cutting and at least a 4 inch spike on the other side.
The spike will pierce a vest without a hard plate.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 AM

Returning to the first question at the beginning of the thread ... I want to say a good question. But I would still choose a hatchet. Returning to the first question at the beginning of the thread ... I want to say a good question. But I would still choose a hatchet. Nevertheless, the hatchet has more advanced functions than the knife. You can find a compact and lightweight and successfully wear it undetected
Old 10-20-2019, 12:53 PM

How far are you planning to walk? If I have to bug out on foot, and figure I can walk 20 miles a day, I will still be in a built up area for two or more days. So, sheath knife on my belt. A tomahawk in my bag and machete on the side of my bag. Also a hand gun on my side and a rifle over my shoulder.

If you are not in good physical condition, if not why not, then moving on foot must be your second choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Profreed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 AM

I guess I donít quite understand the message of your answer, sorry. But I kind of talked about what I would choose if I had to take with me one thing. And now you are talking about taking the whole set with you (knife, tomahawk, gun ...)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregfosterid View Post
I guess I donít quite understand the message of your answer, sorry. But I kind of talked about what I would choose if I had to take with me one thing. And now you are talking about taking the whole set with you (knife, tomahawk, gun ...)
That is because I work on a "system". My BOB is filled with parts of my system. I put in my BOB only things that fit my system. Do I need a good knife? Yes. But a knife is not for chopping. Do I need something for chopping? Yes. So both go. Was I wrong to tell the original poster what I felt needed to be in a BOB? There are a lot of things I have in my bag that I did not mention because they are there for reasons other than what I may need a sharp edge to deal with, like water purification and cooking food.

I sat in on a graduate class in International Relations Theory a couple of years back. I ask the students in the class how they would get home if right then we were hit by an EMP from what ever cause. I had my route home already planned. In my car was my BOB system. I figured it would take me about 12 hours to reach my home. But I was prepared to be able to spend a couple of days if necessary. But no one in the class had even thought about it. Helping people think about the what ifs may just help keep them alive. That was all I was doing.