Gun Cleaning Kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-06-2019, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,847 Times in 2,152 Posts

Advertise Here

There is so much bad information here
That is unfortunate because many members are worthy of consideration
As to lead
The company I linked above sells a great lead remover, negating mechanical removal
Their shotgun product is real good with plastic aka wad residue
What gun is better served by polluting the chamber/action by draging fouling into the chamber/action ?????
Super-stupid
You should be able to come here and get good advice
I have the sense of an old cow, and I eat the hay and leave the sticks
Hopefully, others will do the same
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,189 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Looking for recommendations for a good all around gun cleaning kit that will cover handguns and rifles up to .50 Cal/shotguns. I've done a bunch of searching and all of what I'm seeing seems to have shortcomings. Up until now I've been using the cheapo Walmart kits and the like and let's just say they are less than desirable..
I would suggest that you utilize weapon specific cleaning kits instead of any " universal" kits instead.

In addition, I also suggest a field kit that goes anywhere you take the firearm too.

Call it what you want, but a field maintance kit is part of the issue, just as the magazines are ( if dbm fed)
In other words, it is part of the weapon.

This is why the AK, SKS, M14, M1 Garand, and M16 all have cleaning kit stowage compartments in thier buttstocks/ cleaning rod located directly underneath the barrel in the case of the AK/ SKS.

Once you have the basic field kit, you can add whatever else you prefer to that basic field kit...and/ or maintain a more elaborate kit at the house.

Example: I add a pull thru 308 cal to my field kit as well as a CRT 14 tool. This specific plan has worked for me since the late 70s so I have no reason to change it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101475049

https://cpwsa.com/gun-cleaning-and-l...oval-tool.html

Note: I bought quite a few M14 kits along with stocks, handguard, etc.... back when Freds sold both cheap by the dozen outa shotgun news.
Especially chamber and bore brushes....which I consider expendable items. Cleaning patches, pipe cleaners, solvents, lubricants etc....are other expendable items.

The more elaborate/ extensive cleaning kit also sports more specific tools as well as a Dewy 1 piece brass cleaning rod and guide.

Note: A pull thru is a great addition to a cleaning kit, but cant replace an actual cleaning rod for field use. ( Stupid to think that a pull thru can replace an actual cleaning rod in the first place)
Reason: A cleaning rod is able to remove obstructions in the barrel where a pull thru is utterly useless for. I have even used cleaning rods to remove a squib from the barrel on more than one occasion while away from civilization for more than a few days at a time.

If you don't know what a squib is then you are either lucky or haven't put a large amount of rounds downrange. Have seen it often enough via weapons such as the M16/ M4/ M249 after 24 years at work, and have had it happen more than once thru my own AK/ M14/ pistols/ and rimfires before. I can tell you for a fact that an M14 / AK buttstock cleaning kit can be utilized to remove a squib from thier respective barrels. All you need is some form of lubricant, something to tap the rod with genital like ( I have used a knife and a hatchet before), and above all....patience.

Same reason as to why Tula ammunition is for fools.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_131554.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	292538  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,834 Times in 7,529 Posts

While we're talking oils, chemicals and cleaners, has anyone ever used Barricade? I've been using it for a few years now and like it. It's the final touch after cleaning. Makes the firearm look good, smells good and best of all it removes unseen rust, plus helps prevent rust in the future. It won't harm furniture either. Basically it does what it says it will do. You could put a light coating of oil on afterward, but I've not found that necessary.

Fragout, I know what a squib is, but fortunately have never had one. All but one if my rifles have the field cleaning kit in the buttstock. When I started the thread I had a home clean kit in mind, but like all the other suggestions..

Edit: oh, and I don't run Tula.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,833 Times in 4,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
What gun is better served by polluting the chamber/action by draging fouling into the chamber/action ?????
Getting a little silly now, arent we?

Back to front, or front to back, it goes one way or the other, unless you have some super secret method of cleaning that we need to know about that keeps solvent and other things, exactly where you want it.

Way I see it, the barrel gets cleaned, the action and its associated parts get cleaned, inside and out, the gun gets cleaned, so the whole gun is clean and lubed as well at the end.

Youre not one of those guys who wont dip a brush in the solvent bottle are you? Ran into a guy at the range like that once. He was using a spray bottle for a totally different reason than I do. Didnt want to get his Hoppes "dirty" from dipping.

Just clean your gun. Its not rocket science.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 08:35 PM
VIP Member

I won't use "Hoppes" for anything
So no, that is not a thing for me
I don't care if people clean their guns or not
I don't how people clean their guns or not
I do as I see fit same as everyone else
Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,820 Times in 6,936 Posts

One piece rods are the answer for the home kit. Bore guides are good. Bronze and nylon brushes. A chunk of Big 45 metal cleaner, and Iím set.

I also use Hoppes...or Outers...or whatever was on sale the day I bought it. Itís all about the same, really. Some Gun Scrubber spray for actions, and then some oil and grease. Not picky there either...itís going to be wiped on, then cleaned off, then wiped on again, repeatedly, for years.

For range kits, I have bore snakes and the M16 kit, it breaks down small, the steel rod can be used for emergency squibs or whatever, if you donít have the ability to get to the house and your dowel pieces, and the oil bottle doesnít leak.

The ARs with an A2 buttstock have an M16 kit inside, plus a bore snake.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
I have been using pull-through cleaning devices for 20 to 25 plus years and them some.
Never ever had a problem
Rarely if never do you see someone say my bad, I done-did the pooch
When I have a problem, first stop is the mirror
Mommy, the bad man sold me a bad product
Is it even remotely possibly there was user error ?????
As for copper or any other cleaning
https://sharpshootr.com/
I like Patch-Out, but Wipe-Out works real good as do the other products

For lubricatation, historically, Ballistol
Lately Geissele Go Juice both oil and grease
Most of the time Ballistol
But Go Juice is some fine juice
Either Ballistol or Go Juice as they are non-toxic and never, ever gum up
I have recently started using the Patch-Out with Accelerator on my match rifles. So far I'm impressed. I have used the Wipe-Out before but it is slow, good for several hour soak or even over night. But the Patch-Out is quicker and does well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM
VIP Member

Patch Out and the accelerator work better than anything I have ever seen for copper fouling
The Shotgun cleaner does a fantastic job and works well on the wad residue especially with rufled slug guns
The lead remover works well
They have great products