Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar power for urban home. Partial on grid and off the grid idea WornoutDanners Urban Survival 39 09-12-2016 06:45 PM
MESA is an interesting place. coesurve Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 10-27-2014 04:13 PM
Expo in Mesa, AZ Rockstone Events, Connections and Get togethers 14 10-15-2012 01:07 PM
newbee from Mesa AZ Mary L New Member Introduction 11 07-28-2012 08:40 PM
Tetragon 5 vs Grand Mesa 2. Suggestions? capitaltpt Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 04-21-2012 10:41 AM
Off the grid: life on the mesa ramaytush Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 04-23-2010 08:54 AM
Hello from San Diego, La Mesa boomerx01 New Member Introduction 15 09-14-2009 11:44 AM
Pics from Mesa Falls Idaho SurviveIt General Discussion 19 08-17-2009 03:48 PM
MTV True Life: Living Off the Grid MarkfromMD Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 10-07-2008 09:48 PM
Neophyte from Mesa, AZ azpilot84 New Member Introduction 4 08-20-2008 06:26 PM

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Dances with Salmon

Default Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa

Advertise Here

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0920467/

I watched this on youtube today (it is in ten parts) and while it was interesting from the perspective of just seeing how these people live, I have to say they are certainly not survivalists. More like homeless people than preppers of any type. Aside from one guy who raises livestock and one person who built a greenhouse it seemed that not one person was actually able to feed themselves and they rely on charity organizations to hand out food. So much for the "freedom" they claim to love they are still dependent on someone to give them handouts.
I also found it interesting that they supposedly hate the government but then found that they needed to create their own type of governing body in the elders.
Anyway if someone has an hour to kill watch this and share you thoughts.

Trailer:
Part 1 (of 10):
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeventhSon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 PM
just waitin' for it

Awesome stories!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM

I watched a few of these episodes a day.. couldnt get through the whole 10.

I found them to be extremely whacky types of people.. all i could think of was when the SHTF... the world is going to be so full of human beings resorting to this type of attitude.

I knew this all the time, but to see it in real life happening on these videos really made it sink in...

Time I stopped believing that there is good in people.. If the need arises the good disappears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aphrodite For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,655 Times in 837 Posts

Very interesting films indeed
Old 08-31-2008, 07:59 AM

Didnt they give you a feeling that they belonged in a scene out of Mad Max (the movie) ??? they did for me.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Dances with Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
mmmmmmmmmmm nope but then again i have never seen mad max.. They are family They are a self governing tribe of people that are doin there best to survive in a world they have been rejected from. Not something i would expect most to understand without knowing the background of the rainbow family of living light.
See now I take a different view of these folks that you say were rejected by society, from what I saw I say that THEY rejected society not the other way around. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but that is a major difference to me.
It is interesting that you mention the Rainbow Family, because they are exactly who I kept thinking of while watching this movie. They have passed through Idaho and Wyoming a few times and I have had my share of run-ins with them, ranging from neutral to bad. Much like these folks, the rainbow family claims to live apart from society all the while rummaging through garbage dumpsters behind the grocery store (again, nothing wrong with that but hardly "livin off the land" in my book) and panhandling from the very society they claim to not be a part of. Not to mention that I caught a couple of them helping themselves to a few things in my buddy's garage. It was all a misunderstanding of course, wrong house and all that (yeah right).
The rainbow family is also horribly destructive to the places they move into digging huge slit trenches and leaving a swath of garbage and destruction behind when they are done partying. For people so in tune with nature they seem to have zero regard for the environment. Dreadlocks, patchouli oil and women with hairy armpits don't bother me at all but I always found the rainbow family to be very backwards as far as what they supposedly stand for vs. their actions.
Much the same for the folks on the mesa. Yes it is noble the way they take people in, but for god's sake do you have to torch automobiles for no reason and send all those pollutants up in the air. They were lucky they didn't start a range fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeventhSon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Survivor

They reject society and want to be free, but readily accept food handouts? Doesn't seem as much freedom to me. Just self deception..
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I love this forum

I saw the movie. Here's my question: Why doesn't someone put down the bong long enough to DRILL A FREAKIN' WELL?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,436 Times in 3,289 Posts

They would probably have to drill down more then 400'. That is a lot of money.

I too found the distruction of property over kill. Those automobiles could be made into useful items to use around the homestead.

The one man mentioned having to take the trash out by truck. It better be a semi cause there looked to be a lot of trash. Trash like that laying around is a breeding ground for sickness. That is not survival.

They are existing day by day. It's not how I want to live my life. I could find no pride in supporting myself in their environment. I would find no comfort or security in their forms of enjoyment. To me it is one step down from "The Lord Of The Flies".

However, I can see society becoming more like the people on the Mesa if the SHTF.

You may want to ponder on how to keep a civilized existance in an uncivilized world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post

I too found the distruction of property over kill. Those automobiles could be made into useful items to use around the homestead.

The one man mentioned having to take the trash out by truck. It better be a semi cause there looked to be a lot of trash. Trash like that laying around is a breeding ground for sickness. That is not survival.

They are existing day by day. It's not how I want to live my life. I could find no pride in supporting myself in their environment. I would find no comfort or security in their forms of enjoyment. To me it is one step down from "The Lord Of The Flies".

However, I can see society becoming more like the people on the Mesa if the SHTF.

You may want to ponder on how to keep a civilized existance in an uncivilized world.
I was kinda wondering why,if they are living out there in the dessert,all those cars they were blowing up,couldnt be used for parts ,shelter,or any number of things,besides target practice.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Hiker

I agree,i just thaught those cars could have been used for many differant things,but the whole issue of our vets self medicating,and trying to re-enter society,should be addresed,it really is a shame,to our vets having to turn that way ,you would think our government would provide,the best healthcare as well as houseing.Its really sad how this country turns its back on the very people who help defend our country.
The Following User Says Thank You to rem243 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM

looks like typical uneducated, white trailer trash, drug addicts, sociopaths.
But thats just my 2 cents worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to pixelphotographer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem243 View Post
I agree,i just thaught those cars could have been used for many differant things,but the whole issue of our vets self medicating,and trying to re-enter society,should be addresed,it really is a shame,to our vets having to turn that way ,you would think our government would provide,the best healthcare as well as houseing.Its really sad how this country turns its back on the very people who help defend our country.
Sad really. It seemed to me like disillutioned people who had given up on life itself. I saw no hope for the future, no attempt to improve ones surroundings, build a real house or grow a garden. It looked mostly like human decay and hopelessness.

It wasn't a nice sight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wright B. Hindya For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't Tread on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post

I agree!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Interesting program but I only found a couple of the people to have useful qualities, primarily the pig farmer and the guy with the green houses. Most of these people are substance abusers without discipline and certainly not a good model for survival. They are still dependant on 'society' for their living and it's a hand out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanderer0101 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Trapper

Yeah the only thing you can learn from these guys is "dont go to mesa" and "How not to survive"

Does anyone here know of any "good" survival groups out there that have alot of info on the web?