Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MESA is an interesting place. coesurve Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 10-27-2014 04:13 PM
decided on a tent looking for feedback Kelty Grand Mesa 2..thanks StlBob Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 04-07-2013 08:26 PM
Expo in Mesa, AZ Rockstone Events, Connections and Get togethers 14 10-15-2012 01:07 PM
newbee from Mesa AZ Mary L New Member Introduction 11 07-28-2012 08:40 PM
I need help from all members from phoenix, mesa area cjknight2 Firearms General Discussion 1 07-22-2012 05:33 PM
Off the grid: life on the mesa ramaytush Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 04-23-2010 08:54 AM
Hello from San Diego, La Mesa boomerx01 New Member Introduction 15 09-14-2009 11:44 AM
Pics from Mesa Falls Idaho SurviveIt General Discussion 19 08-17-2009 03:48 PM
Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa SeventhSon Books, Movies & Stories 15 09-18-2008 07:07 PM
Neophyte from Mesa, AZ azpilot84 New Member Introduction 4 08-20-2008 06:26 PM

Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Tetragon 5 vs Grand Mesa 2. Suggestions?

Advertise Here

I'm looking for suggestions on the best tent for BOB. I currently have a Eureka Tetragon 5 (the old model, similar to the current Tetragon 2)

Amazon.com: Eureka! Tetragon 5 - Tent (sleeps 2):... cover
Amazon.com: Eureka! Tetragon 5 - Tent (sleeps 2):...
While I've used and like this tent, I'm worried mainly about the fiberglass poles long term. I've seen the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 which appears to have aluminum poles and is about a pound lighter for not much more money:

Amazon.com: Kelty Grand Mesa 2: Sports &... cover
Amazon.com: Kelty Grand Mesa 2: Sports &...
What are your opinions on the Grand Mesa 2? Is it worth selling my Tetragon 5 for it?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 AM

I have the Grand mesa 2.... I just got back from Big Bend using it.

I don't know anything about the Eureka....

It does have aluminum poles.... It is damn easy to set up too. I also like the door design (one long zipper as opposed to two on many tents, and from the looks of it, has a better vestibule..... And the bag is nice and big.

It being white & red, it will stick out if TSHTF. But that's not why I bought mine....
The Following User Says Thank You to texasthom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Prepared

I have and love a Tetragon too. I think you can buy aluminum poles as an upgrade to any Eureka tent if that is your only worry. The website was very user friendly and informative last time I checked it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasthom View Post
I have the Grand mesa 2.... I just got back from Big Bend using it.

I don't know anything about the Eureka....

It does have aluminum poles.... It is damn easy to set up too. I also like the door design (one long zipper as opposed to two on many tents, and from the looks of it, has a better vestibule..... And the bag is nice and big.

It being white & red, it will stick out if TSHTF. But that's not why I bought mine....
I didn't think about that. Perhaps my green Eureka will stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbastard View Post
I have and love a Tetragon too. I think you can buy aluminum poles as an upgrade to any Eureka tent if that is your only worry. The website was very user friendly and informative last time I checked it.
I looked on their website but didn't see aluminum poles for the tetragon. They have height adjustable ones, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I shot them an e-mail though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 AM

BTW: Are the Eureka Aluminum Stakes (or the MSR Ground Hog ones) lighter and stronger than the steel skewer ones that came with the Tetragon?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 AM

You could look into a Eureka Scenic Pass. It's about the same colors as the graphics of this forum, has aluminum poles, and the XT model that I have has two vestibules.

Amazon.com: Eureka! Scenic Pass 2XT - Tent... cover
Amazon.com: Eureka! Scenic Pass 2XT - Tent...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinJason44 View Post
You could look into a Eureka Scenic Pass. It's about the same colors as the graphics of this forum, has aluminum poles, and the XT model that I have has two vestibules.

Amazon.com: Eureka! Scenic Pass 2XT - Tent (sleeps 2): Sports & Outdoors
It's heavier than my current one.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 AM

Tetragon 5 has a listed pack weight of 5 lbs, 13 ounces, Scenic Pass 2 XT is 5 lbs 8.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinJason44 View Post
Tetragon 5 has a listed pack weight of 5 lbs, 13 ounces, Scenic Pass 2 XT is 5 lbs 8.
That's a typo in the amazon product description. Eureka's tag lists it at 5lb, 3oz up in the product photos. Even so, I don't think I can justify $50 for 5oz less weight.......a pound, yes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm gonna check with Eureka to see if I can get lighter aluminum polls for mine. Hopefully they'll come through. Otherwise, I guess I can live with what I have
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 AM

I know with my Scenic Pass they make both aluminum and fiberglass poles. The Apex is basically a cheaper version of the Scenic Pass, with fiberglass poles and a different color. Maybe you will luck out like that.

How long are the poles for your Tetragon?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM

I've used a tetragon 9 for 4 or 5 years now. Leave it set up for 2 weeks at a time during deer season. Last year at Garner State Pk had very high winds and the fiberglass pole sections at the top of the tent (where they bend the most) started to crack where the fiberglass goes into the metal joint. At home unstrung the poles and swapped the sections around so the cracked sections were at the lower area of the tent where they don't bend as much.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Eureka sent me this reply today.
Quote:
Thanks for your email. We do not carry aluminum poles for your Tetragon tent. There is a company called Tent Pole Technology 1-800-266-9527 who makes poles. They may be able to help you.
I'm gonna have to measure my poles and find out how much they'll cost me. (Yeah, my mind went to the gutter after I typed that too )
The Following User Says Thank You to capitaltpt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Nice! Just an FYI, pretty much all aluminum tent poles are manufactured by the same company, DAK from South Korea. I would imagine there has to be something out there that will fit your tent.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Just wanted to give an update to anyone who might have been curious on pricing. I received this quote from Tent Pole Technology:

Quote:
Poles 1&2 we would make in 9 sections for aluminum and price is $33.60 for each 12' 8.5" pole and weight is 7.5 oz. Price for poles 3&4 for aluminum would be $13.50 each 4' 7.75" pole and weight for these is 2.75 oz. Shipping for pole 1&2 is $11.75. Shipping for all four poles is $12.75
Weight difference is huge, with aluminum weighing just a little more than half the weight of the fiberglass poles. FYI, Poles 1&2 are the frame poles, 3&4 are the vestibule "roof". At over $100 just to replace the poles though, I'm probably better off selling my current tent and getting something else.