Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,201 Times in 8,913 Posts

Advertise Here

Welcome to the apocalypse.

Wife, daughter, and SIL are all gone to their respective places. Basically went through the experience of sending my spouse off to fight a losing war. There was crying involved. Me and my son are left. He's quarantined separately in his room.

Working on getting everything squared away. Getting locks on everything, alarms on everything, cleaning, sorting and organizing supplies, etc. Try to get things as efficient as possible for both supply management and disinfection. I've got my rifle out now, carrying my full sized pistol poorly concealed when I go outside. I'll get no-trespass signs and stuff up where appropriate.

Other than that my time has been spent dealing with my mother, who much too late is now deciding she needs to do a ton of shopping and order everything she could need. I think my wife's parents are still doing the same. Unfortunately they won't order stuff for delivery like I can get my mother to do.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 12:08 AM
Grevcon 10

I guess I quarantined my wife right in time. One of my wife's nurses was heavily exposed to someone who just now got tested positive. She worked all weekend before being put in home quarantine. Was likely spreading it all weekend and my wife's entire workplace is hot. Timing wise patients and staff who she potentially infected are probably becoming infectious now.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 12:27 AM
Grevcon 10

Quarantines are combined between me, the kids, my sister-in-law, and my parents in-law. The in-laws let a fox rampage while they were in quarantine. Finally got up there today to set traps. Saw it twice but didn't have a shot. It cost us about 4 ducks and 5 chickens. Or at least a half dozen eggs a day. Father-in-law is still pretty resistant. Not going to be able to move up there right now and we're going to have to keep our efforts to get the farm in gear to actually feed us under wraps. He's ready for this to be over and any insinuation that this isn't going to be over soon generates a very irritable response from him.

Hospital is doing its best to try to kill my wife and the rest of the staff.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2020, 07:09 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,565 Times in 812 Posts

Colt, has your son finished isolating himself in your house? How is your wife holding up? Have you given up on the farm for this growing season and are you able to garden at your house?

Sorry for the personal questions; the main threads have become useless to me with all the bickering and I feel the need to get back to the basics.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Grevcon 10

Yep. Combined with him after 2 weeks, then with my sister in law and daughter at 3 weeks. Also combined with the in laws. I've been up there but we're not moving up. Commuting as long as gas supplies are good.

Mostly I've been trying to get rid of a fox. They let it rampage during their quarantine. Killed 4 ducks, 5 chickens, and our last rabbit. Can't do a whole lot up there without dealing with the FIL. MIL convinced him to plow a garden with the tractor. It's like 10x20 feet. He's been trying to get us to take stuff from the farm instead of bring stuff up. Trying to make it less appealing.

He hasn't even come outside to talk to me when I'm there and from what I understand he just grumbles about how his brother is running around completely ignoring the quarantine and having fun and he's sitting at home looking paranoid and stupid. Chances are the early spring planting is done for. Fortunately we've been able to expanded our food stores to compensate.

Not sure about planting here yet. Weather's not ready but I do have a bunch of seed starts ready to go. I do have stuff prepared here though. Fruit trees in the yard and our back yard has mostly wild strawberries instead of grass so I'm already ahead of the game.

My wife actually got herself out on hiatus. She's got like 6 months stored PTO and they're letting her be 2nd line and take it until things get truly bad in which case she'll ride in like the cavalry. Part of it is also they feel bad for her because none of the other admin people are quarantined. They want her to get 3 weeks off so she can see her kids one last time. She figures it's less than a week before they break down and call her in. Of course she had a meeting with her boss on the last day and now they've both got GI symptoms, so it better not have been too late. Boss was also doing the PR thing serving everyone food that same day.

Thanks for posting. I feel the same way. Stressing me the hell out.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Grevcon 10

Wife just left to go back to work. After the quarantine period she got 1 week at home. It's rough. She essentially ended up taking off the easy part. With the quarantines being eased starting today she's headed back to take on the expected surge. They're probably not going to give her a hiatus like that again so it'll likely be months before I see her again.

Still taking in supplies and the decon process eats up most of my day:

Lots of food

Garden supplies

Hunting supplies - Decided I better start learning how to turkey hunt so I even got myself turkey calls and stuff, spear so I don't have to waste ammo on animals in traps

Plenty of reusable gloves (shoulder length chem gloves)

Gun/defense stuff - Can of 223 defense/deer ammo, gun rack to put in the living room next to my computer, more 2 point slings to use during field work, more magazines and another pouch so I can have separate hunting/defense set-ups, high power binocs, etc

Organizational stuff - Hooks to hang my gloves while they dry, analog oven/fridge/freezer thermometers to precisely control temperatures for decon

Used the extra manpower while my wife was home to get the garden planted. Since we missed the large scale stuff it's not enough to sustain us alone, but it'll help. Got a grain grinder for the crop field next to us. Looks like it'll be planted.

Mostly we've just been working on perfecting our systems. Streamlining stuff, finding weak spots and patching them, etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 05:54 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanks for the update, Colt.

I'm sorry you and your wife are still in the middle of all this. Is your ex giving you any trouble about your son? How are the in-laws?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
Thanks for the update, Colt.

I'm sorry you and your wife are still in the middle of all this. Is your ex giving you any trouble about your son? How are the in-laws?
I totally forgot. My ex texted me. She wants to consider continuing visitations starting June, depending on how the pandemic goes between now and then. I'm kind of surprised again that she didn't want him back as soon as the quarantine got relaxed. Turns out she's got herself a boyfriend who has a kid who's staying with him. His ex had the kid in a 3rd world country working some NGO and so she had him come get him out of there. So she's got herself a family now and doesn't really need our kid. They still talk online and play games together frequently, which works well. She's not a responsible person, but she does okay as the fun parent.

In-laws are okay. MIL is taking it seriously. She's perfectly happy living like this. FIL is settled, but he still thinks it's boring and complains some. I don't know why though because he's got a ton of little projects going on up there. He's very much a tinkerer. I think he's a lot more comfortable with it than he's willing to admit. His little brother constantly goading him is what gets to him more than anything. He's always trying to keep up with his brother in everything.

My mother's pretty much given up though. She's already had to be tested once for catching a virus, which doesn't bode well for her chances of getting the more serious one. My wife would like to go stay with her again because she's dreading going back to living in the abandoned house, but my mother's simply not safe enough to stay with. She's impulsive and has a weak will. You can't trust her to not break quarantine, including yours.

About the old house: Not only does my wife have to sleep on the floor and the sewer barely works, but it's up for sale and everyone's decided it's house shopping time so she constantly has to completely pack up everything and evacuate the house, then disinfect the house for hours with ozone before she can go back inside. So it's extremely hard on her going back to that. There were something like 5 different viewings today so she wasn't able to set it up at all for when she gets off work. I'm going to have to go over, dump her stuff in the garage, set the ozone, and then she's going to have to come home after work and completely set up her house before she can sleep. Then she'll probably have people try to come view it again tomorrow and she'll have to get up with no sleep, pack everything, evacuate, and repeat. If it actually sells she's in trouble.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 06:37 PM
The Mighty Pen

Is there any way you could set up a camper for her in your driveway? Especially if the house sells. Of course, I don't know what it's like there, but here quite a few people own one and only use it rarely, so it would be possible to borrow one if I couldn't afford to rent it.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:54 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Is there any way you could set up a camper for her in your driveway? Especially if the house sells. Of course, I don't know what it's like there, but here quite a few people own one and only use it rarely, so it would be possible to borrow one if I couldn't afford to rent it.
Not such a thing here. It would be pretty hard on the little one if she knew mommy was right outside too. Early on the discussion was about moving my sister-in-law in here and my wife taking over her place. Not sure where we're at on that right now. It is nice for us having two places so we can move the kids between the two and give each other a break.

Plus I'm not sure my wife's ready for me to be sharing a bed with her sister. She seems a little concerned with how much she's being replaced already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 03:34 PM
The Mighty Pen

Still brain-storming here; if the house sells, can you afford an efficiency apartment for her? (It's been many decades since I lived in an apartment so don't know if it is economically feasible.)

Is there a point when she will leave work for the duration?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Still brain-storming here; if the house sells, can you afford an efficiency apartment for her? (It's been many decades since I lived in an apartment so don't know if it is economically feasible.)

Is there a point when she will leave work for the duration?
Money's set to go to building a new home once this one sells. Not sure how that's going to work out with the pandemic though. We'll probably have to kick my sister in law out of her house and send her here. Renting an apartment seems like a lot of money to waste.

She's drawn the line at getting infected for sure. She won't risk a second infection. Depending on how bad it is she's expecting either disability/early retirement or finding a job as a consultant or teaching. Ideally at-home work. Other than that she's playing it by ear. For now she's in the best position possible to avoid infection for a nurse working in a hospital. She's mostly living in her office and can usually keep her distance from anyone when she's out on the floors and the hospital is finally allowing her to mask up at all times. All the stuff they should have been doing in February, they're finally doing. They've even begun masking patients and doing screening tests on them. They went from refusing to allow people to even discuss infection control, to actually making an effort at it. On the day the quarantines relaxed...

So while she still can't come home, I'm feeling pretty good about her chances of not getting infected from here on. She's very aware of things and works very hard to avoid getting infected (she's as cautious and studied on it as I am), and finally the hospital's going to get out of her way and not try to force her to get infected. Their previous policy was to encourage staff infections to build immunity before it got worse later. Either they've decided it's too late for that or they no longer believe in immunity, but it's certainly gotten safer there even if the patient numbers grow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 PM
Grevcon 10

Speaking of that little brother... he's invited himself to the farm this week. FIL can't ever tell him no. Same narcissistic guy who's running around traveling and intentionally exposing himself as much as he can the entire time even at the height of the lockdowns and flaunting everything to prove he's untouchable. Looks like at least another month of the farm being quarantined. At least we got about 700 square feet of garden in the ground already. We won't be able to tend it though, and we had plans to do a lot more. I got 1 fox and we haven't seen the rest in a week or so. Hopefully the other fox(s) ran off and we don't lose all the animals while we're gone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 69,878 Times in 21,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Speaking of that little brother... he's invited himself to the farm this week. FIL can't ever tell him no. Same narcissistic guy who's running around traveling and intentionally exposing himself as much as he can the entire time even at the height of the lockdowns and flaunting everything to prove he's untouchable. Looks like at least another month of the farm being quarantined. At least we got about 700 square feet of garden in the ground already. We won't be able to tend it though, and we had plans to do a lot more. I got 1 fox and we haven't seen the rest in a week or so. Hopefully the other fox(s) ran off and we don't lose all the animals while we're gone.
.org/static/images/memes/4718724.jpg[/IMG]
Good luck.

People like that won't respect your quarantine.

He will probably run to town for a burger the first day your there together. (That's why you need your own BIL)
Old 05-10-2020, 02:01 AM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Good luck.

He will probably run to town for a burger the first day your there together. (That's why you need your own BIL)
I'm not there. Me, the kids, and my sister in law are split between 2 houses on the same street just outside the city. My wife's at a separate house inside the city.

We didn't move up to the farm for the pandemic because of this stuff. We worked pretty hard with him and got my FIL to quarantine and generally play along, and even contribute a tiny bit. He's the one I'm bribing with bananas. After they did their 3 weeks quarantine we've been going up there every 2-3 days and working, then coming home.

My wife's uncle is just coming to visit probably for a day, knowing him, doing so precisely to sabotage our quarantine as a way of giving us the middle finger and asserting his authority over the FIL for the power trip. The guy's like some of the trolls here on this board.

We won't be remotely near the guy. He's been trying to catch the virus. Probably dirtier than a retirement age lot lizard. We'll be ending all trips to the farm and restarting quarantine all over again before his arrival.

The farm is supposed to be ours as well. No one lived there originally and we ran the place without interference. It already had a house on it. We'd stay in the house for a day or two here and there and when they were traveling through they'd do the same, and then we'd also use it for family gatherings. We were going to build our house and move up there, and then they'd move into the existing one and we'd take care of them when they got too old to take care of themselves. But then they sold their business and their house in the city and moved to the farm early before we'd built our house. Then they pretty much established control over it and the FIL, at his anti-prepper brother's encouraging started interfering and undoing work we'd done to it to make it a proper BOL/BIL.

This stuff is also why we dialed back our plans to ramp the farm up into full production and started working on getting our stockpiles up instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 69,878 Times in 21,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
I'm not there. Me, the kids, and my sister in law are split between 2 houses on the same street just outside the city. My wife's at a separate house inside the city.

I saw. That's whyI said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Good luck.

We didn't move up to the farm for the pandemic because of this stuff. We worked pretty hard with him and got my FIL to quarantine and generally play along, and even contribute a tiny bit. He's the one I'm bribing with bananas. After they did their 3 weeks quarantine we've been going up there every 2-3 days and working, then coming home.

My wife's uncle is just coming to visit probably for a day, knowing him, doing so precisely to sabotage our quarantine as a way of giving us the middle finger .
Probably.

Again though:
When YOU own it... It can be a "Colttatership"

That's how I was able to lock the gate. Buddy was giving me **** about "coming over any way" I told him I had removed the hidden key he knew about, and if he walked the half mile he would be trespassing and would forfeit any future assistance (I am good to my friends)
He dropped it.

Just like in Iraq you didn't own ground unless you had a rifleman standing there saying "I will kill anyone within range of my rifle"
You don't have a BOL/BIL unless You own it.

(If you owned it this would be a nonissue)

$0.02
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 09:23 AM
Grevcon 10

The ex finally came calling. She wants my son for 3 weeks starting the end of this month. Going to have to quarantine him all over again when he gets back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,143 Times in 2,168 Posts

[QUOTE=Justme11;20147116]My sister and her husband, who have at least 2 large deep freezers full of food didn't even go 24 hours without going to a Costco AND a grocery store to buy stuff.

He is 80 years old now and can barely walk, but by damn they both needed to go spend hours rambling through stores.

I said the governor of Ohio, (right next to them), just said they have at least 100,000 cases by best estimates just in Ohio.

LOL....so, Greene County. The DeWines run a big operation there. I'm pretty sure that I know where your sister and BIL are. Think I met them once at one of the ice cream things.

BTW, the rural parts of Ohio are getting a dose currently and further west, Dayton is allegedly a hotspot. I hope things work out well for them, and you.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,143 Times in 2,168 Posts

Colt: been my experience that inlaws with farms alway "correct everything that you spend effort doing. Now I garden, buck up some firewood and pop rounds. The rest is an utter waste of my time.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Colt: been my experience that inlaws with farms alway "correct everything that you spend effort doing. Now I garden, buck up some firewood and pop rounds. The rest is an utter waste of my time.
Yeah... supposed to be a joint venture though, and they weren't going to be moving in until well after we did. Was supposed to be them staying with us instead of a nursing home. That didn't work out. Someone made an offer to buy out their business and they showed up a decade early.