Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,949 Times in 804 Posts

Advertise Here

Thought you had changed your mind and decided Prescott Az. was the place for you.
BTW I have never gotten a job by sending resumes, only by showing up and shaking hands.
You say you are 58yr. old, laws or not your age is working against you. For you it is especially important to show up, shake hands and personally deliver your resume.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,816 Times in 20,642 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Thought you had changed your mind and decided Prescott Az. was the place for you.
BTW I have never gotten a job by sending resumes, only by showing up and shaking hands.
You say you are 58yr. old, laws or not your age is working against you. For you it is especially important to show up, shake hands and personally deliver your resume.
Yup. That's why I said that I've been handing out resumes both online and in person. Interestingly, the only actual, official interview was based on an online resume I sent.

I would rather have gone to Prescott but the more I listened to people from the area the more I realized two things: It's growing at a really fast rate and the price of living was considerably higher than where I am now.

And there's nobody who knows better than me that my age is working against me but thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Hunter

Don't feel to bad, I'm in the same spot, 67yrs.
I think your cost of living will be a lot less in St.George. I bet if you could bring home 4k per month you would be set.
Of course I don't know if you are still paying your Ex. If you are then consider a cash buyout if you are able. Sometimes 50k in her hand could be better than $800.00 per month.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Don't feel to bad, I'm in the same spot, 67yrs.
I think your cost of living will be a lot less in St.George. I bet if you could bring home 4k per month you would be set.
Of course I don't know if you are still paying your Ex. If you are then consider a cash buyout if you are able. Sometimes 50k in her hand could be better than $800.00 per month.
I was in Hurricane and St. George for a couple of days but migrated to Cedar City. Cheaper, smaller, and much more beautiful. My ex and I get along well. She's never asked anything of me but I do pay her car insurance and her cell phone. Together, that comes to about $100.00 per month. Since she's disabled, I don't mind giving her a helping hand.

I agree that I can afford to be paid less based on the significantly lower price of living. They wanted $1300.00 per month for a studio apartment in Denver while I can get a two bedroom for $750.00 here.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Utah update: Not going as planned!! But I don't know a time in my life when anything DID go as planned.

1) Planned on renting a U-Haul trailer in Denver and taking my belongings with me to Utah; putting them in storage; and moving them to my new place when I got a place. U-Haul dropped the ball so I had to put everything in storage in Denver. I'm forced to return to Denver to retrieve all of it when I find a place.

2) I planned on staying in my pickup tent most of the time to save money. However, was not able to get my computer to work unless I was near WiFi. So ... I've been renting a hotel for 5 days straight (as of today ... Friday). That's about $65.00 per day. I need the WiFi to look for jobs.

3) I have handed out lots of resumes (both online and in person). Have only had one interview but wasn't hired. I'm actually glad I wasn't hired by this company, Orgill (I think). Huge turnover and lots of bad employee reviews. Another company (one that's more up my alley) appeared to be interested yesterday morning but I haven't heard back from them yet. Still hoping.

4) I can't rent a place until I have a job. The job I want requires that I have a CDL with HazMat. Went to the DMV to start the process but they need me to have the following: a permanent residence; my birth certificate; two official mailings proving that I have a permanent residence; a passport or Social Security card. My birth certificate, passport, and Social Security card are all in my safe in storage in Denver and I can't produce two "official mailings" since I don't have a permanent address. So ... I can't get a place without a job; I can't get the job without the proper license; and I can't get the license without a place.

5) My pickup transmission is beginning to slip. That could cost up to $3500.00 to fix depending upon the severity.

6) I almost decided to fly back to Denver to retrieve my Vital Documents but decided to get them replaced online. That's more money out of my pocket and they will have to be sent via USPS. That means more days in a hotel than I can really afford.

Has anyone ever wished to go to sleep never to wake up? America is no longer a free land when a man can't move from State to State without this much red tape. So ... depressed hardly describes what I'm feeling right now.
This isn't meant to be mean spirited so don't take it that way.

I'm sorry this isn't working out but this seems like really poor planning.

1. Of course you need your vital documents to get a job. Why would you leave your birth certificate, passport, and social security card in storage in Denver if you're seeking to get employment in Utah??? Would you hire someone without vital documents? Not me.

2. Of course if you don't have a job, you're not going to likely be able to rent a place without a huge cash up front payment. With landlord/tenant laws totally in favor of tenants, would you rent to someone who showed up with no job and little money? Not me.

And the CDL Hazmat license should have been secured when you did have a residence and documents when in Colorado, not while you're transient living in hotels.

3. Of course you're going to need wifi to use the web. There's likely various adapters to use your cell phone signal to get wifi, or other sophisticated methods. Heck I've been in this situation too. You pull over next to Starbucks for 2 hours or go to the local library and do what you need to do for a few hours a day. That's free or for the price of a cup of coffee in Starbucks.

4. Really bad time for a serious vehicle issue, but hard to believe this was unexpected that it just started now? Shouldn't take a questionable vehicle on a big road trip. If it needed maintenance before then that should have been done.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

For my pending move I've got several word documents and a master list of projects to complete, tasks based on immediacy and timing, important things I must bring with me and have access to (like vital records), and so forth. While you can't predict everything, there are some pretty obvious things that one must consider when moving.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
This isn't meant to be mean spirited so don't take it that way.

I'm sorry this isn't working out but this seems like really poor planning.

1. Of course you need your vital documents to get a job. Why would you leave your birth certificate, passport, and social security card in storage in Denver if you're seeking to get employment in Utah??? Would you hire someone without vital documents? Not me.

2. Of course if you don't have a job, you're not going to likely be able to rent a place without a huge cash up front payment. With landlord/tenant laws totally in favor of tenants, would you rent to someone who showed up with no job and little money? Not me.

And the CDL Hazmat license should have been secured when you did have a residence and documents when in Colorado, not while you're transient living in hotels.

3. Of course you're going to need wifi to use the web. There's likely various adapters to use your cell phone signal to get wifi, or other sophisticated methods. Heck I've been in this situation too. You pull over next to Starbucks for 2 hours or go to the local library and do what you need to do for a few hours a day. That's free or for the price of a cup of coffee in Starbucks.

4. Really bad time for a serious vehicle issue, but hard to believe this was unexpected that it just started now? Shouldn't take a questionable vehicle on a big road trip. If it needed maintenance before then that should have been done.
First of all, I had planned to take my belongings with me via a U-Haul trailer. That would have included my small safe that contains my vital info. On the day before I planned to drive out of Colorado, U-Haul dropped the ball and didn't produce the trailer I had secured. At the very last minute, I had to put all of my stuff into a storage unit -- including my safe. There was a lot going on and I was under lots of stress. At my age and without a team player like a wife to help me out ... it's easy to forget things during the turmoil.

I've lived in several states. Never in the past did I need anything but my old driver's license when securing a license in a new state. There may have been a couple of cases when I needed to produce my SS Card but I've never needed a license; two other forms of ID; an two pieces of mail with a local address on them. This is a first.

My truck wasn't "questionable." It's been more than reliable and I had no issues with it. I had the transmission tuned less than 6 months ago so there should not have been an issue with it.

I was told by several members of this forum that my Verizon "Hot Spot" would produce internet service without WiFi. Either I misunderstood them or they didn't know what they were talking about or I didn't hook things up the right way.

Whatever the case ... thanks for kicking me when I'm down. Very encouraging!! Good to get to know you a little better.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
For my pending move I've got several word documents and a master list of projects to complete, tasks based on immediacy and timing, important things I must bring with me and have access to (like vital records), and so forth. While you can't predict everything, there are some pretty obvious things that one must consider when moving.
Congrats! Gold star and confetti. You're clearly a much higher quality human being than I am.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:
I've lived in several states. Never in the past did I need anything but my old driver's license when securing a license in a new state. This is a first.

My truck wasn't "questionable." It's been more than reliable and I had no issues with it. I had the transmission tuned less than 6 months ago so there should not have been an issue with it.

I was told by several members of this forum that my Verizon "Hot Spot" would bring internet service without WiFi. Either I misunderstood them or they didn't know what they were talking about or I didn't hook things up the right way.

Whatever the case ... thanks for kicking me when I'm down. Very encouraging!! Good to get to know you a little better.
Eh, not meant to be that way and I'm sorry you took it that way. There's a military term, "**** poor planning leads to **** poor results" or something like that.

You had bad information and bad luck. Now you're in the thick of it and have to figure a way to extract yourself. I offered some suggestions on wifi and so forth.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Eh, not meant to be that way and I'm sorry you took it that way. There's a military term, "**** poor planning leads to **** poor results" or something like that.

You had bad information and bad luck. Now you're in the thick of it and have to figure a way to extract yourself. I offered some suggestions on wifi and so forth.
I've already sent off for a replacement birth certificate. When I receive it, I'll go to the local SS office in St. George and get another SS Card. My truck is going into a dedicated transmission shop on Monday.

I apologize for getting snarky. Mix worry with depression with doubt, etc. and who knows what emotional bomb can explode. But I'm a strong guy and I still tap into my faith in God to get me through hard times. I've been in worse places than I am now and have gotten out of them.

I still have hope that a local company is about to hire me. I spoke with the manager's wife and learned that he was concerned that he couldn't offer me enough money. When I asked what they could offer it was actually pretty good for this area and I told her so. My only other concern is that he only has a short amount of experience in the welding supply industry whereas I have nearly 25. I think he may feel intimidated by my experience and knowledge so I will have to try to address that on Monday and let him know that I'm not trying to take his job or to lord myself over him.

My only other obstacle is to find a way to get two pieces of mail addressed locally. I assume the DMV will want a couple of utility bills. That's going to be a real dilemma.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,948 Times in 1,037 Posts

Tell the future employer that you will get the CDL within 30-45 days of your hire date.
Get job
Find a place to live
Get CDL
The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Hunter

Where are you now?
When I went for my new Ut. D/L
I was told the same thing, passport and two other forms of I.D., utility bills etc. I'm betting it has to do with conforming with Real I.D. regulations.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Where are you now?
When I went for my new Ut. D/L
I was told the same thing, passport and two other forms of I.D., utility bills etc. I'm betting it has to do with conforming with Real I.D. regulations.
I'm currently in Cedar City. I'm going to get my transmission fixed then head back to Denver with my tail between my legs. As part of my survivalist mentality, I was hoping to leave the giant city of Denver and get into a more rural or small town atmosphere but the governmental red tape has made that nearly impossible.

I can't get a place without a job. I can't get a license without a place. I can't get the job I want without a license. So it's back to the Denver cesspool for me.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
I'm currently in Cedar City. I'm going to get my transmission fixed then head back to Denver with my tail between my legs. As part of my survivalist mentality, I was hoping to leave the giant city of Denver and get into a more rural or small town atmosphere but the governmental red tape has made that nearly impossible.

I can't get a place without a job. I can't get a license without a place. I can't get the job I want without a license. So it's back to the Denver cesspool for me.
sorry to hear that. Are you intending to move back to Denver and live here for a while or are you just coming back to retrieve your necessary documents?
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawkSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Quote:

Again, I'm not attacking you. I've been following this for some time and you seem to have put a lot of planning in and asking for advice. I commend that.

I'm sorry it's a failed mission and I'm not understanding how this has all now failed. You thought you'd just turn up in Utah with no work credentials for the job you want, no secondary IDs, and no money for a place to live; and people would hire you and give you a place to live straight away? I'm genuinely trying to understand how this went sideways??

Typically, people making such a move have something waiting for them or enough cash to survive short term. Every time I've moved I had either school/work and lodging waiting for me. You always take you critical paperwork with you.

Showing up without a place to stay, without a job, and without paperwork seems totally unexpected given the amount of careful planning you apparently put into this move and I'm genuinely sorry that you have to return unsuccessful.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,586 Times in 3,006 Posts

A lot of people like Denver
Not me so much, but there is a lot going on there.
Sounds like you have some marketable skills
Me, not so much so I am reduced to self-employment

None of my business, but if you can do it and tolerate it, do some OTR for a year or two
Live on the road and save up some money
Then you can move

I am probably going to move, as a resident, to South Dakota, Florida, or Texas
As a full- time RVer
Those three states allow you be a resident and roam-about
I just hit 60, so two years and I am done
Like Metallica says

Wherever I May Roam

(And the road becomes my bride)
And the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
And with dust in throat I crave
Only knowledge will I save
To the game you stay a slave
Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will, yeah

Oh, but I'll take my time anywhere
Free to speak my mind anywhere
And I'll redefine anywhere
Anywhere I roam
Where I lay my head is home, yeah

(And the Earth becomes my throne)
And the Earth becomes my throne
I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown
By myself but not alone
I ask no one
And my ties are severed clean
The less I have the more I gain
Off the beaten path I reign
Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will
Yeah you will
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Hunter

Try renting a room, then get Cable or Internet in your name. Perhaps also register for a class or two at the university. Ask the D/L staff for suggestions.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawkSteel View Post
sorry to hear that. Are you intending to move back to Denver and live here for a while or are you just coming back to retrieve your necessary documents?
I'm going to have to get a job and live there until I can save up enough to get out down the road. I'm on my 7th day in a hotel plus eating meals out. That's costing an arm and a leg. Then my transmission rebuild is going to be $3000.00. They can't get to it until this Friday so that another several days in a hotel.

If I'm really lucky ... I'll have a heart attack at the top of some mountain pass and drive off a cliff on the way back. But knowing the way things go in my life ... I'd become a quadriplegic and live on.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Again, I'm not attacking you. I've been following this for some time and you seem to have put a lot of planning in and asking for advice. I commend that.

I'm sorry it's a failed mission and I'm not understanding how this has all now failed. You thought you'd just turn up in Utah with no work credentials for the job you want, no secondary IDs, and no money for a place to live; and people would hire you and give you a place to live straight away? I'm genuinely trying to understand how this went sideways??

Typically, people making such a move have something waiting for them or enough cash to survive short term. Every time I've moved I had either school/work and lodging waiting for me. You always take you critical paperwork with you.

Showing up without a place to stay, without a job, and without paperwork seems totally unexpected given the amount of careful planning you apparently put into this move and I'm genuinely sorry that you have to return unsuccessful.
If you've been following my journey then you know that I've traveled a lot in my youth. I used to get in my car, drive to a place, get a job and a place, and then get my license. I liked that freedom of movement that the Old America afforded us. We were the United States. Now we have become separate States where foreigners from other States aren't welcome.

Things have changed. It used to be that companies would jump at the opportunity to hire someone with experience and knowledge in a particular field. That's no longer the case, apparently. Face to face greetings and a handshake used to be the norm. Today, it's "show me your papers old man." Who you are; how big your smile is; and how tight your handshake grip is means nothing to the Corporate, college graduate, millennials running the show. Things have changed!

No matter!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,441 Times in 2,937 Posts

[QUOTE=ActionJackson

My only other obstacle is to find a way to get two pieces of mail addressed locally. I assume the DMV will want a couple of utility bills. That's going to be a real dilemma.[/QUOTE]

Can you use a UPS Drop Box as your address, cell phone bill and a Propane tank refill receipt with the Drop Box address ?

Anyhow Best of luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post: