Post SHTF Sheepdogs - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs Ready2Go General Discussion 14 04-02-2016 11:51 AM
Thoughts on firearms pre SHTF & ammo, post SHTF Corrigan Firearms General Discussion 31 01-16-2016 06:47 PM
If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-10-2015 05:17 AM
Post SHTF, would you rather,... Jida Firearms General Discussion 34 12-21-2010 06:08 PM
Who Are You? Post SHTF ID dcliffhanger Urban Survival 139 05-23-2010 10:33 PM
ON SHEEP, WOLVES, AND SHEEPDOGS By LTC Dave Grossman DocYoung Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 01-02-2010 05:52 AM
False Sheepdogs. Chosen Controversial News and Alternative Politics 13 08-03-2009 12:47 AM
On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman. jarhead101 Urban Survival 2 10-30-2008 09:55 AM
Of Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs madmike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 03-24-2008 07:50 AM
"Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs" Ammo General Discussion 3 06-30-2007 10:10 AM

Old 03-30-2016, 03:42 PM

Advertise Here

who is this King of Glory? the LORD strong and mighty. The LORD mighty in battle.

The LORD is with me, i will not fear. What can men do unto me?

I shall not die, but live to declare the works of the LORD

yup. Theres my SHTF prep plan... no expensive training classes. just my Faith, size XL gloved fists, a boot knife, 1 rifle, 1 handgun, food rations, and the will to live.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Sheepdog

Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,035 Posts

Calm down guy. The issue with what you're describing is exactly Mad Max, why are you expecting anyone with "gear" to live the life of a Hollywood action hero? Unless you have large numbers of well trained people, what your suggesting borders on the impossible anyways.

I'm not about to pretend the concept of right and wrong will even be relevant in the scenario you're describing. People will do as people always have, survive, one way or the other. The sheepdog mentality will more then likely go out the window when Johnny do good sees his wife and child starving to death.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renegade Ziggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Ziggy View Post
Calm down guy. The issue with what you're describing is exactly Mad Max, why are you expecting anyone with "gear" to live the life of a Hollywood action hero? Unless you have large numbers of well trained people, what your suggesting borders on the impossible anyways.

I'm not about to pretend the concept of right and wrong will even be relevant in the scenario you're describing. People will do as people always have, survive, one way or the other. The sheepdog mentality will more then likely go out the window when Johnny do good sees his wife and child starving to death.
I don't see how it's Mad Max. Going off alone with weapons to "Right Wrongs" will get the **** killed out of you and fast. I never once mentioned roving the countryside like a vigilante. I was talking about sticking with people trying to make a living out of farming and trying to survive honestly, those who have prepared and those who have the land to live off of. Being prepared, and that concept of right and wrong is what will keep honest, God-fearing people from crossing that line into piracy. Not everyone is going to indulge in murder, rape and pillaging.

I know I don't plan on killing innocent people to keep me and mine alive. I personally have quite a bit of food and essential supplies in my inventory, and the means to grow food and produce so that I don't have to raid. I'm sure most of the people here do as well, as that is what makes a "prepper" or "survivalist". Like many here, I'm also endowed with a few weapons and a little training so that IF my neighbors and comrades are trying to survive, and somebody comes to kill us and take our stuff, I can do my best to defend everyone so that we CAN continue to survive. No action hero stuff there.

If proper planning and training for the purpose of securing your MAG or community in the most rational manner possible for when the SHTF is overzealous hollywood fantasies, I'm sure more than a few on here are guilty of that pipe dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,564 Times in 14,435 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I know a few farmers who are 'pacifists', in every case due to them dealing with the internal struggles as a combat vet. Their pacifist stance is conditional to living in a peaceful culture. When fighting comes to their door, they will once again fight.

I know a few farmers who have never served, yet everyone of them is armed.

Most farmers I know are vets.

All farmers are armed.

To class farmers as some form of non-combatant is ignorant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 05:03 PM

Can we all agree that lone wolfing will get you killed?

Can we agree that being armed is beneficial to all wether it by slingshot or rifle?

Can we leave the sheepdogging to actual sheepdogs and our active duty/vets?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cci24 View Post
Can we all agree that lone wolfing will get you killed?

Can we agree that being armed is beneficial to all wether it by slingshot or rifle?

Can we leave the sheepdogging to actual sheepdogs and our active duty/vets?
No! Absolutely not.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Suburban Warlord

Thanked 19,371 Times in 5,817 Posts

I find the whole "sheepdog" concept unneccesary and a bit degrading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Errrrr

Thanked 14,266 Times in 3,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
If you watched the whole thing, they eventually found their morals.
Not all of them...As I recall a civil war was about to begin.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:26 PM

Right on! I am not sure which is more disgusting - self-righteous posturing as a delta seal ninja or being a mall ninja.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old One For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 AM
Prepared

I will stick with protecting my own and letting everyone else deal with their people.

It isn't worth dying for someone else who is not known to you. Especially after disasters. There will be a lot of trigger happy law enforcement and military types "just following orders". I also lived through hurricanes: Katrina, Rita, and Wilma, and my life is not worth defending someone who did not prepare for the worst.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepWoodsSurvivor94 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:53 AM

I don't think there will be a civil war, uprising, or a total disregard for human life. I think most will be sheep not sheep dogs. They will be told what to do by the next POS POTUS and they will do it. Probably be a little bitching but folks will do what it takes to keep the electricity on and water running. As for the 2nd, I would bet that most will be just like the Australians and give up their guns. I hate to think it will be like that but having to deal with society on a daily basis at work this is my conclusion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tedm1911 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM
Target Shooter

What am I going to do with all that junk your sporting around? Once you get this far out, I will turn the catahoolas loose on you and up a tree you will go. Now once I shoot you out like a squirrel, what am I suppose to do with all that junk you got? Flea markets will be closed. No craigslist. No Ebay. At least you will feed the dogs a few days

Maybe I can trade with those Johnson boys that live on the backside of the mountain. Of course they may have piles of city ninja junk they have collected
The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,864 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
I know a few farmers who are 'pacifists', in every case due to them dealing with the internal struggles as a combat vet. Their pacifist stance is conditional to living in a peaceful culture. When fighting comes to their door, they will once again fight.

All farmers are armed.

Farmers answered the call in atleast four major American wars.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 AM

Smile good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
... Everyone is the enemy...
Yes beware. suspect EVERYONE. even children. Our lives will depend on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
... let darwinism take those who failed to learn the skills necessary to survive on their own, the gene pool could use a few less of the lazy, perpetual victim types
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Many sources indicate there is a goal to really thin the human herd.
Georgia Guide Stone : 500M max. pop. 99% reduction!
others say 50% but i think no electricity + nuclear fallout will kill 90%.
GET READY. Before they die they will get desperate.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:45 AM

Smile like in the Kill Bill movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
When the baloon goes up and I lace up my tactical speedo all bets are off. Everyone is the enemy. My thousands of hours of gymnastics and interpretive dance practice will come into play.

Back to training.
COOL
Like the asian schoolgirl swinging a spiked ball? but in a red speedo?
It will distract the marauders and save amo
The Following User Says Thank You to xrw44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:

All farmers are armed.

AMEN! I'm a farm boy, coming from farmers when we came to the US, before it was the US.

True to Protestant, Midwestern form, we don't start fights, but we won't get pushed around either. We'll give you gas on the side of the road or change your tire. Perhaps give you a warm meal in a blizzard.

My dad had many guns growing up, didn't serve in a war (his dad did) and didn't hunt (no time). The guns were just a tool. Whether it was a rabid raccoon, a dying dog, or a thief in the night.

Go spook around a farm at night and report back to us. If you can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
AMEN! I'm a farm boy, coming from farmers when we came to the US, before it was the US.

True to Protestant, Midwestern form, we don't start fights, but we won't get pushed around either. We'll give you gas on the side of the road or change your tire. Perhaps give you a warm meal in a blizzard.

My dad had many guns growing up, didn't serve in a war (his dad did) and didn't hunt (no time). The guns were just a tool. Whether it was a rabid raccoon, a dying dog, or a thief in the night.

Go spook around a farm at night and report back to us. If you can
Sure, it is true. For now. In WROL situation, farmers (like everyone else) would be sitting ducks.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,564 Times in 14,435 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

The problem I see with 'sheepdog' is that the metaphor is a simple one.

I have spent a lot of time studying the Bible. Jesus spoke in a lot of parables. Each parable was to teach a specific idea, which He usually went into greater detail later with a small private group. Some preachers will read a parable, and go off trying to apply it to anything, whatever his favorite cause is this week. Instead of reading the 20 verses after the parable to see how Jesus explained the same parable. Parables work to draw us a simple picture of a singular idea. But does that single idea equally apply to 47 different doctrines? No.

Sheepdog is a good solid metaphor when it is kept within that specific context.

There is a flock of sheep, 20 to 500 sheep.
There is a wolf circling the flock, eyeing which one is easiest to grab.
There is a sheepdog.

The sheepdog can identify with the wolf because he is of the same species. He is carnivorous and he agrees that sheep are good eating. But he feels a duty to the community to protect the flock.

Keep the sheepdog metaphor inside that limited context and it works. Do not try to stretch it, it does not work outside of it's context.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Sure, it is true. For now. In WROL situation, farmers (like everyone else) would be sitting ducks.
In my opinion, most farmers are already in a WROL situation. For the most part.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,699 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
The problem I see with 'sheepdog' is that the metaphor is a simple one.

I have spent a lot of time studying the Bible. Jesus spoke in a lot of parables. Each parable was to teach a specific idea, which He usually went into greater detail later with a small private group. Some preachers will read a parable, and go off trying to apply it to anything, whatever his favorite cause is this week. Instead of reading the 20 verses after the parable to see how Jesus explained the same parable. Parables work to draw us a simple picture of a singular idea. But does that single idea equally apply to 47 different doctrines? No.

Sheepdog is a good solid metaphor when it is kept within that specific context.

There is a flock of sheep, 20 to 500 sheep.
There is a wolf circling the flock, eyeing which one is easiest to grab.
There is a sheepdog.

The sheepdog can identify with the wolf because he is of the same species. He is carnivorous and he agrees that sheep are good eating. But he feels a duty to the community to protect the flock.

Keep the sheepdog metaphor inside that limited context and it works. Do not try to stretch it, it does not work outside of it's context.
Of course the sheepdog needs to eat the occasional sheep to survive just like the wolf