Post SHTF Sheepdogs - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs Ready2Go General Discussion 14 04-02-2016 11:51 AM
Thoughts on firearms pre SHTF & ammo, post SHTF Corrigan Firearms General Discussion 31 01-16-2016 06:47 PM
If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-10-2015 05:17 AM
Post SHTF, would you rather,... Jida Firearms General Discussion 34 12-21-2010 06:08 PM
Who Are You? Post SHTF ID dcliffhanger Urban Survival 139 05-23-2010 10:33 PM
ON SHEEP, WOLVES, AND SHEEPDOGS By LTC Dave Grossman DocYoung Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 01-02-2010 05:52 AM
False Sheepdogs. Chosen Controversial News and Alternative Politics 13 08-03-2009 12:47 AM
On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman. jarhead101 Urban Survival 2 10-30-2008 09:55 AM
Of Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs madmike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 03-24-2008 07:50 AM
"Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs" Ammo General Discussion 3 06-30-2007 10:10 AM

Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts
Default Post SHTF Sheepdogs

Advertise Here

For all of the gear-heavy preppers out there...

So, you're a gear-centric prepper...you have state of the art military-grade weaponry, ammunition, and plenty of both. You felt a need for level IIIA body armor and that kevlar cover, and now you have it. You bought the knife Delta force is supposed to use. You've stockpiled enough ammunition to win a war in Bolivia. You have enough weaponry, armor and gear to arm SEAL team 6. So, what do you plan on doing with it when everything falls apart?

I hope that by reading this, you are a responsible person. I hope that with your arsenal, you have also stockpiled common sense, and a moral integrity to use it for good when the day comes that the dark matter hits the fan, and those lines between good and evil suddenly become blurred. Because now, you have taken it upon yourself to be a sheepdog of the highest caliber.

When the cities lie in ruins, and bands of murderous land pirates roam the country, raping and killing, pillaging food and supplies from those without the ability to resist them, I pray that you have the moral integrity to be a guardian against the wolves. May your Interceptor vest stop only the rounds fired by the evil hordes, and never bullets fired by a scared mother as you raid what little food she has to feed her children. I hope the crosshairs of your expensive sniper rifle are only doped to drop the wicked, and never the ones who are trying to cling to humanity and civility.

Train, my friend. You already have the equipment, now train with it. Put up or shut up. Train every day. Expend thousands of rounds in practice. Spend every penny you can on training. Take up rappelling. Learn knife fighting. Every facet of your life now must be built around being good enough to WEAR that gear. You must make yourself DESERVING of such power. Learn your weapons until you can disassemble them in your sleep, underwater with the lights out. Play airsoft or paintball on weekends, just for fun. Study the books. Run the woods in full gear until you ******* puke.

I hope you will hear my words. If you are a mall ninja, an operator wannabe, sell your guns now. If your "training" amounts to a few rounds a year and Call of Duty, give up and stop playing soldier. Forget all notions of being Rambo, of being Mad Max. When you have to don YOUR gear and weapons, it will be to live the live of a rogue. To kill for food, and to become a monster just to survive another day. Change your mindset now or give up trying to prepare for what's coming. When the end comes, just cower behind your bed and wait for the inevitable. It will be better that way.

When the lights go dark, the phones stop working and the shelves are bare, we must rely only on ourselves and each other to survive. In that world, everyone will have a role. The farmers will farm, the blacksmiths and craftsmen will build, and the merchant will sell. Someone has to be there to protect them, because the marauders will raid, the weak will die, and one way or another, you will have a role in that. Pick your side. The world will need police. The world will need sheep dogs. You have the gear my friend, and you talk the talk. Will you walk the walk?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,729 Times in 2,189 Posts

I'm going to learn the necessary post-SHTF skills Matrix-style. I'll acquire them when I need them. Until then, I'll sit comfortably on my stockpile of weapons and ammo secure in the fact that I'm equipped to deal with a full-on, frontal Operator assault.

I know how to protect my women and my stuff. If this van's a rockin' don't come a knockin'.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonsantoPlanto View Post
I'm going to learn the necessary post-SHTF skills Matrix-style. I'll acquire them when I need them. Until then, I'll sit comfortably on my stockpile of weapons and ammo secure in the fact that I'm equipped to deal with a full-on, frontal Operator assault.

I know how to protect my women and my stuff. If this van's a rockin' don't come a knockin'.

I'd like to borrow those programming discs, man.

I'm already over 3K into the whole training thing. The wife would let me wire myself into the mainframe before she'd let me drop another dime on killhouses and seminars at this point.

Didn't mean to rant guys...just the whole "I have guns, so everything's gonna be alright" thing I hear from people really ****** me off. I don't take any of it back, but I didn't mean to direct toward any of the real preppers here. Been having family trouble, and it's got me all kinds of fired up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,415 Times in 8,349 Posts

sheep dogs are pets, enforcers of a shepherd, a domesticated, trained animal.. i wouldn't be a sheep dog.. let darwinism take those who failed to learn the skills necessary to survive on their own, the gene pool could use a few less of the lazy, perpetual victim types
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Suburban Warlord

Thanked 19,371 Times in 5,817 Posts

When the baloon goes up and I lace up my tactical speedo all bets are off. Everyone is the enemy. My thousands of hours of gymnastics and interpretive dance practice will come into play.

Back to training.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 04:31 AM
In dog we trust.

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,696 Posts

Okay.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pranqster1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,681 Times in 4,814 Posts

Or I'll just hang out in my little slice of heaven and SURVIVE. I don't intend on being some liberating army or the right hand of God. The life expectancy of what you describe is pretty low in a SHTF environment.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Drake View Post
The world will need police. The world will need sheep dogs. You have the gear my friend, and you talk the talk. Will you walk the walk?
Anyone trying to do that in even a regional SHTF situation better have a large group with them. If not they are dead.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
In dog we trust.

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
Or I'll just hang out in my little slice of heaven and SURVIVE. I don't intend on being some liberating army or the right hand of God. The life expectancy of what you describe is pretty low in a SHTF environment.
Im with you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pranqster1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,699 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:

So, you're a gear-centric prepper...you have state of the art military-grade weaponry, ammunition, and plenty of both. You felt a need for level IIIA body armor and that kevlar cover, and now you have it. You bought the knife Delta force is supposed to use. You've stockpiled enough ammunition to win a war in Bolivia. You have enough weaponry, armor and gear to arm SEAL team 6. So, what do you plan on doing with it when everything falls apart?

I hope that by reading this, you are a responsible person. I hope that with your arsenal, you have also stockpiled common sense, and a moral integrity to use it for good when the day comes that the dark matter hits the fan, and those lines between good and evil suddenly become blurred. Because now, you have taken it upon yourself to be a sheepdog of the highest caliber.

When the cities lie in ruins, and bands of murderous land pirates roam the country, raping and killing, pillaging food and supplies from those without the ability to resist them, I pray that you have the moral integrity to be a guardian against the wolves. May your Interceptor vest stop only the rounds fired by the evil hordes, and never bullets fired by a scared mother as you raid what little food she has to feed her children. I hope the crosshairs of your expensive sniper rifle are only doped to drop the wicked, and never the ones who are trying to cling to humanity and civility.

Train, my friend. You already have the equipment, now train with it. Put up or shut up. Train every day. Expend thousands of rounds in practice. Spend every penny you can on training. Take up rappelling. Learn knife fighting. Every facet of your life now must be built around being good enough to WEAR that gear. You must make yourself DESERVING of such power. Learn your weapons until you can disassemble them in your sleep, underwater with the lights out. Play airsoft or paintball on weekends, just for fun. Study the books. Run the woods in full gear until you ******* puke.

I hope you will hear my words. If you are a mall ninja, an operator wannabe, sell your guns now. If your "training" amounts to a few rounds a year and Call of Duty, give up and stop playing soldier. Forget all notions of being Rambo, of being Mad Max. When you have to don YOUR gear and weapons, it will be to live the live of a rogue. To kill for food, and to become a monster just to survive another day. Change your mindset now or give up trying to prepare for what's coming. When the end comes, just cower behind your bed and wait for the inevitable. It will be better that way.

When the lights go dark, the phones stop working and the shelves are bare, we must rely only on ourselves and each other to survive. In that world, everyone will have a role. The farmers will farm, the blacksmiths and craftsmen will build, and the merchant will sell. Someone has to be there to protect them, because the marauders will raid, the weak will die, and one way or another, you will have a role in that. Pick your side. The world will need police. The world will need sheep dogs. You have the gear my friend, and you talk the talk. Will you walk the walk?
How much will you charge for your "protection"
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyl View Post
How much will you charge for your "protection"
To be fair, there is some validity to the claim. We had to do that in LA with Katrina. Emergency services were overwhelmed, so neighborhoods/communities were somewhat on their own for a while.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
To be fair, there is some validity to the claim. We had to do that in LA with Katrina. Emergency services were overwhelmed, so neighborhoods/communities were somewhat on their own for a while.
What did you charge?
Or did you just make rules that had to be followed to gain your protection vs.
destruction?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
What did you charge?
Or did you just make rules that had to be followed to gain your protection vs.
destruction?
Nothing. We protected our neighborhood and water from those outside the neighborhood.

Nothing more.

Not everything is Hollywood-esque, end of the world type of things.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 769 Posts

I was hoping for a thread about dogs.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
Nothing. We protected our neighborhood and water from those outside the neighborhood.

Nothing more.

Not everything is Hollywood-esque, end of the world type of things.
I don't think that is what the OP has in mind when hes "protecting" the sheep
Old 03-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
I don't think that is what the OP has in mind when hes "protecting" the sheep
I think you are assuming or trying to cause disruption. Where in the OP did he talk about charging? Let's see it.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 AM
I love this forum

He didn't, which is why I asked
Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,428 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:

Assumption #1 Being able to afford top tier gear means you should be a delta seal ninja.
Assumption #2 Being able to afford top tier gear means you are now obliged to protect everyone else.
Assumption #3 Rapelling and knife fighting are essential SHTF skills.
Assumption #4 If your life doesn't revolve around training like a delta seal ninja, you don't deserve to have any top tier equipment.
Assumption #5 Airsoft and Paintball are in some way reminiscent of actual combat.
Assumption #6 If your life doesn't revolve around spending all of your money on training like a delta seal ninja, you will use your gear to kill and pillage the innocent.
Assumption #7 Unless you've trained for thousands of hours, you're essentially useless to anyone and should hide under your bed and wait to be killed.
Assumption #8 Farmers, artisans, merchants etc, are entirely incapable of protecting themselves.
Assumption #9 Being able to afford top tier gear means you also brag about owning said gear, whilst lacking lengthy training in its use.
Assumption #10 Rich guys with guns are the most important people in a society.

Not sure if I missed anything inbetween all the apparent jealousy and false bravado.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheLongRoad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,364 Times in 895 Posts

Juskom95 talking about Katrina reminded me of the former Israeli soldiers that guarded the elites homes on St Charles Ave. We stopped and talked to them and traded stuff while on patrol a number of times.

http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink...nplace_box.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Learning

Thanked 6,654 Times in 3,112 Posts

I think I've averaged 24 hours of professional gun training (classes that I take) each year for the past several years. However, I've never worn body armor during a class. I think I will this year.

I have played airsoft a few times and I wore body armor and a kevlar helmet. It wasn't so heavy/awkward that I would worry about wearing it post shtf. But I will add that I'm in fairly good shape (I play basketball weekly, volleyball weekly and I lift weights 3-5 hours per week).

But I do agree that professional training and/or 3 gun matches are great training grounds. You get to put your gear through hard use and you see what works and what doesn't. Which is very important. You don't know how many times I've had to rearrange gear and completely change gear.