What are the best guns for preppers? - Page 7 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Vegan Preppers or Preppers with Allergies to food RebelQueen Food and water 67 10-01-2018 11:07 PM
Identifying other possible preppers (Doomsday Preppers?) goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 100 07-01-2018 05:11 PM
**Ladies Section** Any Vegan preppers or allergic to food preppers? RebelQueen Ladies Section 29 03-31-2016 05:13 PM
Machine Guns for Country Cops ? 161 Federal Guns for 31 Officers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 07-29-2015 12:29 PM
The Filmography of Guns Documents Iconic Guns in Popular Culture AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-04-2014 04:00 PM
School officials deeply troubled over guns appearing ON SIGNS BANNING GUNS MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 24 02-07-2014 01:24 PM
Article On Chicago-Area Preppers And Guns ghettosuperstar Firearms General Discussion 7 02-10-2013 10:15 AM
Booming guns sales: preppers, zombies and obama fsck General Discussion 9 04-05-2012 03:23 PM
Preppers with no guns??? CTPATRIOT General Discussion 262 08-20-2011 11:48 AM

Old 10-10-2015, 01:27 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,197 Times in 4,404 Posts

Advertise Here

Need more info from the OP but here is the approach I took.

In 1990 I had a Taurus .44mag revolver and a Nylon 66 .22 rifle. I used the .44 to hunt wild boar and whitetails with. It also served me well on night stand duty. The .22 was small game (rabbit and tree rats) and varmit control around the farm. The Nylon 66 is now retired because it became unreliable and I cant figure out why it is messing up. I did replace it with a All Weather 10/22 in 2012 and its a great rifle.

Fast foward to 2008-2009 (dates maybe a little off), I need a brick of .22 so I bebop it to wally world and am hit in the face with reality. Bare ammo shelves as far as the eye can see. As I processed this over the next few days and looked at my finances I pulled together what I could at the time.

First purchase was a semiauto pistol in 9mm I settled on a HiPoint C-9. Say what you want about HiPoint that pistol is still in my safe and has never failed me. It has been shot thousands of times and though there have been stoppages they were no more than i experienced with my current big name firearms and I wouldn't hesitate picking it up for social work today. YMMV.

Second was a 1942 Mosin M-44 I actually found it at a yardsale for $100. I ordered 2 spam cans of 7.62x54R and proceeded to open and burn thru one can.

Third was a Pre-bubbaed SKS with a ATI folding stock. IMO the ATI stock is nice for the size part of it folding but is crap. I got a Strike Force stock from ATI (Dragunov style.) 500 rounds to start me off.

I have added a 12ga Mossberg 835, a Coach gun and a single shot 20ga. but would not miss a shotgun if i lost it. I don't see where 20ga is cheaper or the same cost to operate than a 12ga. I often find it to cost more but i don't stock much ammo for shotguns.

The AR of today is not the AR from Vietnam. I have one I bought and one I assembled (fully build not ordering upper and lower and pushing 2 pins to "assemble.") The one I bought has been flawless IMO the one I built had a few bugs but since I got it right has been good to go.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,418 Times in 911 Posts

This has probably already been said, but I don't want to browse the previous 120 posts, and it deserves another mention. The best prepping firearms are chambered for the most common calibers. If the S really HTF, you want to be able to shoot the ammo you find. That's why you shouldn't pick one or the other in the infamous AK vs AR or 9mm vs 45 debates. Buy both if you can afford it. That's my philosophy.
The Following User Says Thank You to NSA Surveillance For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
Need more info from the OP but here is the approach I took.

In 1990 I had a Taurus .44mag revolver and a Nylon 66 .22 rifle. I used the .44 to hunt wild boar and whitetails with. It also served me well on night stand duty. The .22 was small game (rabbit and tree rats) and varmit control around the farm. The Nylon 66 is now retired because it became unreliable and I cant figure out why it is messing up. I did replace it with a All Weather 10/22 in 2012 and its a great rifle.

Fast foward to 2008-2009 (dates maybe a little off), I need a brick of .22 so I bebop it to wally world and am hit in the face with reality. Bare ammo shelves as far as the eye can see. As I processed this over the next few days and looked at my finances I pulled together what I could at the time.

First purchase was a semiauto pistol in 9mm I settled on a HiPoint C-9. Say what you want about HiPoint that pistol is still in my safe and has never failed me. It has been shot thousands of times and though there have been stoppages they were no more than i experienced with my current big name firearms and I wouldn't hesitate picking it up for social work today. YMMV.

Second was a 1942 Mosin M-44 I actually found it at a yardsale for $100. I ordered 2 spam cans of 7.62x54R and proceeded to open and burn thru one can.

Third was a Pre-bubbaed SKS with a ATI folding stock. IMO the ATI stock is nice for the size part of it folding but is crap. I got a Strike Force stock from ATI (Dragunov style.) 500 rounds to start me off.

I have added a 12ga Mossberg 835, a Coach gun and a single shot 20ga. but would not miss a shotgun if i lost it. I don't see where 20ga is cheaper or the same cost to operate than a 12ga. I often find it to cost more but i don't stock much ammo for shotguns.

The AR of today is not the AR from Vietnam. I have one I bought and one I assembled (fully build not ordering upper and lower and pushing 2 pins to "assemble.") The one I bought has been flawless IMO the one I built had a few bugs but since I got it right has been good to go.
I hear the .22 dilemma is ending, so you should be able to enjoy that 10/22 a little more often now.
I like your choice of a Mosin. As reliable as a caveman's club and just as inexpensive.
Speaking of which, I was just reminded of this webpage.
If you get the joke, it'll be the funniest thing you ever read.
Works best if you read it left to right....

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

DCman
The Following User Says Thank You to DCMan For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,655 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
I hear the .22 dilemma is ending, so you should be able to enjoy that 10/22 a little more often now.

DCman

I think you heard wrong. 22lr is still not on shelves at reasonable prices. Yes, it is available if you are willing to spend nearly $0.10 a round, but I'm not. I have a ton stocked up and I'm not shooting much of it until it gets back below $0.05 a round for bulk.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niick View Post
I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

Ok, I rambled enough. What are your thoughts about all of this?
It will most likely come down to the following categories concerning firearms for prepping imo. ....

Budget. Not only for the firearms themselves, but also ammunition, spare magazines and a way to carry both. Cleaning equipment, optics if any, suppression if legal and desired, and professional training which often gets overlooked or deemed a low priority.

Time available to train with chosen firearms as well as time involved when picking what works the best in your mitts.

Quality vs quantity. A matter of opinion, but a few selected firearms of good quality in your hands when you need them trump a safe full any day imo.

Prepping for most likely events in your current location compared to unexpected events which could lead to prompt withdraw of current location. In other words, bugging out when the only prepared plan was to bug in. Especially on foot with only what you and yours can carry.

Prepping as an individual, family, or as a group. How are they armed? Does the idea of mixed weapons chambered in different cartridges sound like the better idea compared to everyone sporting a common cartridge and/ or firearm?

Past experiences. Hard to explain so Ill use the following example. I have been serving as an Infantryman for almost 20 years now, and have hunted most small, medium, and large North American game since a youngster. Being around firearms has always been a common thing in my case. I was born into " prepping" long before the internet, so a large chunk of past experience has been 1st hand with quite a few different firearms. Everyone is different here, so everyone has a tad different outlook on the subject.

Physical conditioning and general health. Allays seems to get overlooked, but should be a high priority for anyone serious about preparing . This pertains directly to firearms when selecting them is on the table. In short, what physical or medical limitations does the individual possess, and how does it play into selecting said firearms? ( Example = folks that say a Remington model 700 rifle chambered in 3006 weighs too much and has too much felt recoil when others find it to their liking, can hump it anywhere, and have the ability to maximize the rifles potential. Only person who can honestly answer this is the individual.

Separating what would be useful for you vs what is useful for others, opinions based on assumptions regarding what they read on the internet, and outright myths made up for personal reasons. Example I read today on another thread pertains to a specific type of rifle where the guy claims as unreliable because he had one which apparently had issues with seizing up. He claimed they must all have this problem which is utter nonsense as there is no way the claim has any truth to it simply because he hasn't the experience behind enough of that type to be honest. ( Not ignorant, but stupid in this case.)
Research is a definite ave, but don't rely on one source, as the current world sports just much false information as it does true info.

As to firearms, I would steer clear of pistol caliber carbines and rifles , as the ability for one to share mags for both is not worth what is lost when one gives up an intermediate cartridge to achieve it. The term AR15 is a general term that can encompass quite a few different models of similar design. Its better if you use the exact nomenclature that the company who produces it utilizes. ( An example = M1A when someone is either describing another M14 clone or a specific model of the M1A such as a Socom16., let alone the more rare M1A chambered in 243win)
Also be aware of what various types of ammunition actually weigh. ( 9mm and 5.56mm weigh virtually the same for example) 7.62x51mm is often described as weighing a " ton" when in fact 20rds of it loaded into a Fal or M14 std capacity mag weighs out at 1.5 lbs. ( Seems to be a common myth but easy enough for anyone to find the truth.)

Regardless, it can't replace a full on rifle cartridge. This can be found out via first hand experience or by historical research which shows intermediate cartridges replacing the rather wide spectrum of pcc types along with pistol caliber submachine guns.

Shotguns fall short compared to rifles, but are more useful than pcc's. You can only use one at a time in any case.

A handgun believe it or not should be the first priority as it is the one you can have on your person 24/7 while current life as we know it rolls on. More time with whatever fills your hands the better. ( Personal preference)

22lr chambered rifles and handguns with the primary purpose being low cost training tools and small game hunting. Quiet, cheap, and lightweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
I think you heard wrong. 22lr is still not on shelves at reasonable prices. Yes, it is available if you are willing to spend nearly $0.10 a round, but I'm not. I have a ton stocked up and I'm not shooting much of it until it gets back below $0.05 a round for bulk.
Define "reasonable prices".
I'm miffed that I can no longer get a box of 22's for 50 a box...or heck, how about a box of "standard velocity" ammo with the purchase of a 22 gun (maybe even a box of long's, instead).
Haven't seen either of those deals in a long while now.

However, we have to live in today's world, so I did a quick online search and found this....

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...ammo?a=1722705

That's 4.16 / round.
Granted, they're out of stock right now, but it might worth joining the site and having them give you a call for that kind of money.

DCman
Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
ive never been too interested in the .410, what kind of birds can you actually drop with one?.. im sure with slugs it would be adequate enough for deer, but would you be able to take out a pheasant, or a goose? or are we talking little birds like grouse?
In SHTF, are you going to be pheasant and goose sport hunting (on the wing), or meat-in-the-pot hunting (shoot them when they're not flying)?

For me, if I'm hungry, I don't care if he's flying, I'll shoot him on the ground.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,605 Times in 8,861 Posts

Here's the thing. Let's not make this too complicated for the new guy.

First thing to do is watch some YouTube videos on rifles, pistols and shotguns. Also watch some videos on tactical shooting and things like sports shooting (check out 3 gun shooting events) and so on.

Also do some research on tactical rifles if you plan to use one for personal defense. For close range work a good AK type rifle is pretty hard to beat because they shoot the bigger and heavier 7.62 X 39 ammo. For longer reach and better accuracy the AR type rifles work well shooting the 5.56/.223 caliber ammo in 55 or 62 grain (weight) bullets. Both of these rifles, when fitted with a red dot scope, can be used to engage targets with an amazing amount of speed. When mounted with telescopic sights both rifles can be used to engage targets with extreme precision and almost finite accuracy.

For a small and useful compact 9 mm pistol I would look at a test fire a Glock 19. The Glock 19 is a compact mid-size pistol that is easy to conceal but still holds 15 rounds. If you don't like the Glock 19, try the Glock 26. The magazines of the larger Glock pistols will fit in the smaller Glock pistols. That means that the magazines of a Glock 17 will fit in both the Glock 19 and Glock 26 pistols. The magazines from the Glock 19 will fit in the Glock 26 models. So you really can't go wrong with checking out the Glock family of pistols. If these Glock models I have mentioned seem too wide for your hand to grip, they also make a single stack version of their 9 mm pistol too.

As for a good shotgun, I would go with a Remington 870 in 20 gauge with an extended magazine. The Remington 870 is a good, reliable pump action shotgun that won't beat you to death like a 12 gauge will do to a new shooter. Pump action shotguns tend to be a bit more reliable than most other types of shotguns if handled with authority.

To help you out on the AR rifle decision, here's some information about the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers and how they adopted their old M-16s into sniper rifles.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Marin...t_Sniper_Rifle

http://www.snipercentral.com/philipp...-sniper-rifle/

So, putting a scope on their rifles helped to make their rifles into something more useful than many people thought they could be. It really wasn't a bad idea for their nation. It might be something that many of us over here might want to consider doing too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,035 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
Here's the thing. Let's not make this too complicated for the new guy.

First thing to do is watch some YouTube videos on rifles, pistols and shotguns. Also watch some videos on tactical shooting and things like sports shooting (check out 3 gun shooting events) and so on.

Also do some research on tactical rifles if you plan to use one for personal defense. For close range work a good AK type rifle is pretty hard to beat because they shoot the bigger and heavier 7.62 X 39 ammo. For longer reach and better accuracy the AR type rifles work well shooting the 5.56/.223 caliber ammo in 55 or 62 grain (weight) bullets. Both of these rifles, when fitted with a red dot scope, can be used to engage targets with an amazing amount of speed. When mounted with telescopic sights both rifles can be used to engage targets with extreme precision and almost finite accuracy.

For a small and useful compact 9 mm pistol I would look at a test fire a Glock 19. The Glock 19 is a compact mid-size pistol that is easy to conceal but still holds 15 rounds. If you don't like the Glock 19, try the Glock 26. The magazines of the larger Glock pistols will fit in the smaller Glock pistols. That means that the magazines of a Glock 17 will fit in both the Glock 19 and Glock 26 pistols. The magazines from the Glock 19 will fit in the Glock 26 models. So you really can't go wrong with checking out the Glock family of pistols. If these Glock models I have mentioned seem too wide for your hand to grip, they also make a single stack version of their 9 mm pistol too.

As for a good shotgun, I would go with a Remington 870 in 20 gauge with an extended magazine. The Remington 870 is a good, reliable pump action shotgun that won't beat you to death like a 12 gauge will do to a new shooter. Pump action shotguns tend to be a bit more reliable than most other types of shotguns if handled with authority.

To help you out on the AR rifle decision, here's some information about the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers and how they adopted their old M-16s into sniper rifles.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Marin...t_Sniper_Rifle

http://www.snipercentral.com/philipp...-sniper-rifle/

So, putting a scope on their rifles helped to make their rifles into something more useful than many people thought they could be. It really wasn't a bad idea for their nation. It might be something that many of us over here might want to consider doing too.
Here is a link to the same sort of concept being used by US SF units:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_..._Purpose_Rifle
Old 10-15-2015, 12:58 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post

It's around at decent prices. I walked into a Cabelas yesterday and found Winchester 325 packs on the shelf for just over six cents a round. They also had buckets of Remington. I've stopped buying mostly but did get a 325 pack in this case.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Target Shooter

SHTF out goes the warrentee, the factory support and gunsmiths. You need reliable and repairable first.
SHTF out goes the " this is my home and my personal space." You better be prepared to move quick when a mob comes for your food , guns or land. Light weight portability is a MAJOR factor.

Common calibers is where you need to start. .223/5.56 , 9mm, 12G, and 22lr is the start, and will make an effective kit out to 600 yards.

Time to stock up and train, may not be left at this point. You need your main guns now, and trainers/small calibers later.

First concern in SHTF is combat with thieves who will murder you for your can of tuna. A fighting carbine is first choice for ammo capacity, reload speed, light weight , power and range. A mini 14 is nice but it is heaviy and has no spare parts available. An AK is also heavier than an AR15. The AR15 has all parts available to keep as spares to keep your AR running long after the power goes off. The AR15 can be light weight. Mine is built from high quality BCM parts and is in the low 6# range with optics , BUIS , 30 round mag all without any plastic stocks or forend. Built by me , tested for 1000's or rounds. I now have a love and familiarity with a gun. It will be my first to acquire and last weapon to drop. Most important gun it will be combat/defense/hunting, as those are the priorities. Don't cheap out on you main tool for survival. This should be a high quality weapon with good optics and BUIS. Get name brand Mil spec gear not discount over sea sourced like PSA. Get Daniel Defense or BCM. Build it yourself with just a few shop tools. Rewarding experience that lets you know your tool inside and out. If you feel inclined to buy it whole and save a few bucks , Rock River and Stag are viable choices. Get at least a dozen mags and a few 10 rounders for prone shooting. Get a sling for carry. A quick release mounted pressure switch flashlight would be about the only add-on you need. Bi-pods ect just add more weight and add little usefulness. Keep it fairly simple but all high quality, this could be the most important tool that keeps you alive.

Next is a pistol. Any size pistol is concealable under a untucked shirt or in several other locations on the body. As in Argentina and Yugoslavia before, a pistol on you when doing daily duties is a must. Having a rifle on may be the end of you as you are now an enemy and a target for sniper thieves or the LEO. 9mm is fine. Shot placement is key with slow moving pistol rounds. They ice pick and cause damage in a hole as big as they expand. A fast moving rifle round will cause hydrostatic shock and damage much more tissue and organs than its size will actually touch. Go rifle first and be accurate on vitals with the pistol. Lots of choices out there. But I will put a vote in for Glock 17/19/23 as they are priced fair, are easily customized, very reliable in all conditions and light weight. Possibly the lightest and most reliable available.

The great gun instructor Massoob said of pump shot guns. " I trust a gun factory to produce reliable, safe semi-auto shotguns more than I trust myself not to short stroke and jam my well practiced with pump shotgun, when under stress in a gun fight." He has over a million rounds through pump shotguns. I think he knows well. So get a semi-auto, there are plenty of good ones. IMO the shotgun gets dropped , when on foot, long before the carbine, pistol and 22lr. It is heavy, short ranged , cumbersome slow to reload and not as useful as the other calibers. My choice was not to invest as heavily into the SG as the carbine or main pistol. I went with a ripoff of a CZ design. It's a good semi that shoots light bird shot and bad as 3" magnum shells. This was a bargain at >250$. It is an ATI sx2 it holds 5+1 rounds and there are extensions that can be added with a little work. If I was made of money a Benelli M1. I'm not so an ATI will do. At the price you can stack them like Mosin Nagants if you wanted.

Then everyone must have a 22lr or a dozen. It is a capable round, and it is very light weight. Which is the key here. Cheap is nice too, so you can stock lots of ammo. The Ruger 10/22 and MKIII are very nice. There are others like Marin for a rifle or Phoenix Arms for a pistol but a pair of Rugers will be the best built options. If I were to live in the woods and never see another human , I could make due avoiding bears , lions and big game with my pair of Ruger 22lr's.

I don't take stock in big game or sniper kills. I find it hard to justify a bigger long range gun for SHTF. The guns and rounds are heavy making it a quick drop when taking to foot. As lowest priority this class of gun gets the least investment. The venerable Mosin Nagant serves the purpose of reaching out 1000 yards or more. The ammo tins are cheap, the guns are cheap, so bury them is areas you may bug out to. Leave them in cabins and jeeps so you are always at the ready. But I can't see hauling all of these weapons and gear , so sacrifices will be made. Dropping the Mosin first and keeping the AR for weight and commonality even though the Mosin Nagant would be the most reliable and durable on my list.

There is my core 6 and the reasons behind them. Hope it confirms what other said and helps you decide what is most important to you.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Possibly the single most loaded, open-ended question I've come across. "What should I eat tomorrow..."

There are hundreds of factors: terrain, purpose, training, cost, needs etc.

AND you need three guns? Oh dear.
The Following User Says Thank You to RussianRifleMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Hunter

Yeah, no kidding.
He makes a very good point about travelling light, then tells us we have to carry an arsenal of weapons?
Your best bet is a .357 revolver with adj. sights and a 4" barrel or a 12ga. break action shotgun.
Versatile to no end, easy to shoot, light to carry.

DCman
Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Hiker

there will likely be some black friday gun sales coming up soon at big box sporting goods and online (e.g. buds or kentucky) stores. in the past heritage roughrider single action 22lr/wmr revolvers have been attractive b.f. deals. imho there is no simpler, better priced, decent, new, easier learning-tool handgun. the 22wmr cylinder loaded with defense-specific ammo is a credible protection piece, especially if the alternative is a 5 iron. also learn how to make, and become comfortable with, a lawful online gun purchase from a reputable dealer.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,031 Posts

Semi-auto whatever's are like any other semi-auto's are, albeit a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. You need to test it to see if it functions with the ammo that you intend to buy; find the ammo that it likes and buy it. Semi-auto does not make it less reliable- once you figure out what it will shoot.

For shotguns, I prefer a semi-auto. With a pump shotgun, you do not cycle it far enough- it can lead to problems. You can get the same kind of malfunctions in a pump as a semi-auto. Racking your shotgun to scare someone is kind of stupid; it gives away your position. A semi auto has one distinct advantage; speed. You can fire as fast as you can squeeze and release the trigger. Way faster follow up shots.

Handguns; I prefer 9mm- while others might prefer other calibers. ( or .357 in a revolver ). I believe in having two pistols; a small compact gun for concealed carry, and a larger capacity gun for home defense, or SHTF ..

Rifle: A rifle in a pistol caliber like 9mm, .45ACP, .40 S&W is still a pistol round. It excels if you plan on suppressing it. Is it a match for a true high speed rifle round like 5.56, 7.62x39, or a larger caliber like .308 ; NO WAY! The amount of kinetic energy and potential for penetration is far better with even an intermediate rifle round. Start with a 5.56 in a standard platform (for parts availability, cheaper magazines,etc )or go the 7.62x39 route ( AK or SKS ) Go with a bigger round if you can manage it (it will be more expensive to feed and train with ). I also believe in a .308 or similar full power cartridge for longer ranges ; this type of weapon - a bolt action will suffice (cheaper) or go with a semi-auto..

Bullpups. You can find guns like the Keltec KSG shotgun which gives you higher capacity (pump tho ), in a compact package. A typical AR can be broken down into a lower and upper receiver. There are other variants that shoot 5.56 that are bullpup designs that give you a more compact footprint.

Hunting small game: A good .22LR rifle ? They suppress well too. Available in takedown configurations. But you could also put in a conversion bolt into an AR and that will let you shoot .22LR for smaller game/training.

Reality is that for day to day, you will most likely only carry a rifle or shotgun plus a pistol. You'll burn up lots of energy carrying around excess weight.

Final note: A rifle is not a shotgun, nor is a shotgun a rifle. A PCC (pistol caliber carbine ) is not a rifle either. Having only a pistol and shotgun limits your range that you can fire and hope to hit something reasonably well. A PCC falls in between. Someone with a rifle can stand off from a distance and stay out of the range of a PCC or shotgun or handgun. Each has different strengths and weaknesses; pick weapons that fulfills your needs; but don't leave gaping holes that others can exploit either.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niick View Post
I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

Ok, I rambled enough. What are your thoughts about all of this?
If you are asking me to pick:

For the budget minded:

Canik 9mm TP9SA: $340 on j and G sales
Maverick 88 12 g: $250 almost anywhere including Walmart
S and W Ar 15: $550 several retailers heavily stock these. Or AK wasr 10 if you like AK's better.
Mosin Nagant: $170 only for some long distance

Middle of the road

Glock 17-19
Remington 870 12 g
Spikes mid length AR 15 or AK 47 c39
Savage 10 in 308 with Nikon scope combo

High End? no thanks. There is plenty of quality firearms that are moderately prices. BTW don't buy kel tec. just don't. I don't care who flames me up for this. Just don't.I would also get a Ruger Mark II in 22lr and ruger 10/22 take down after taking care of the handgun, shotgun, and rifle.

After that then I would start over and try to buy two of each set chosen as money allows. So, if choosing middle of the road then 2 glocks, 2 Remmys, 2 AR's or AK's and 2 long distance rifles.