What are the best guns for preppers? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Vegan Preppers or Preppers with Allergies to food RebelQueen Food and water 67 10-01-2018 11:07 PM
Identifying other possible preppers (Doomsday Preppers?) goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 100 07-01-2018 05:11 PM
**Ladies Section** Any Vegan preppers or allergic to food preppers? RebelQueen Ladies Section 29 03-31-2016 05:13 PM
Machine Guns for Country Cops ? 161 Federal Guns for 31 Officers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 07-29-2015 12:29 PM
The Filmography of Guns Documents Iconic Guns in Popular Culture AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-04-2014 04:00 PM
School officials deeply troubled over guns appearing ON SIGNS BANNING GUNS MIL-DOT Firearms General Discussion 24 02-07-2014 01:24 PM
Article On Chicago-Area Preppers And Guns ghettosuperstar Firearms General Discussion 7 02-10-2013 10:15 AM
Booming guns sales: preppers, zombies and obama fsck General Discussion 9 04-05-2012 03:23 PM
Preppers with no guns??? CTPATRIOT General Discussion 262 08-20-2011 11:48 AM

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Default What are the best guns for preppers?

Advertise Here

I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

Ok, I rambled enough. What are your thoughts about all of this?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

SKS Carbine , 20th century Colt or S&W Revolver , Ithaca model 37 Shotgun, Russian M44 Rifle
Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD

Thanked 10,736 Times in 4,033 Posts

.357 4" revolver,12 ga pump like a Mossberg 500 and a nice little .223 carbine..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flashman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Survivor

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,513 Posts

Of all the guns out there a 22lr is probbaly the most useful. I have lots of guns the 22lr gets the most use round the farm
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,070 Times in 2,546 Posts

My rifle, shotgun and pistol trio is"

Sig M400
Mossberg 590A1
Sig P229

An AR in 5.56/.223 is light weight, durable, accurate, inexpensive relative to many of other semi-auto rifles, low recoil and very common. It can be customized in pretty much any way imaginable.

The Mossberg 590A1 is a 12ga pump shotgun. Very reliable, very durable and it can hold 8 rounds in the tube.

The Sig P229 was more of an impulse buy. I was shopping for a .45 and saw a West German P229 with a rail for $630 and bought it immediately. I like the .40 S&W round a lot now. It's a very durable, accurate and ergonomic weapon.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,130 Times in 6,984 Posts

Now that I see shelves of it again. Rifle in .22lr . Take a shooting course like Appleseed. Shoot until you're good.

Then get a used long barreled $200 12 ga pump and shoot trap until you're decent at it.

Now that you're likely to be able to hit stationary and moving targets, buy a rifle of your choice. I'd go hunting, kill something and eat it. It drives the shooting stuff is deadly business home.

Then get a handgun of your choice and practice.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,140 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niick View Post
I have never owned a gun and I know very little about guns, but I would like to know what guns I should have as a prepper.

I did some research, and it looks like a lot of people recommend 3 types of guns for preppers - A handgun, a shot gun, and a riffle.

But, that doesn't really narrow it down enough. I know I would prefer a small handgun so it can be easily concealed. And I also know that they sell more 9mm than any other rounds. So it might be a good idea to have a 9mm because it will be easier to get ammo for it. But, then again, I saw one video that recommended a certain gun because it could shoot more than one kind of caliber. That would be nice also especially if one of those calibers is 9mm. And as far as handguns go, the glocks seem to be mentioned a lot, so I'm guessing they might be good options?

The smaller handguns hold less ammo in the magazines, and obviously it would be better if they held more. But, personally, I'd rather the gun be small and concealable than have extra ammo in the magazines. You can always carry extra magazines.

What kind of shot gun would be best? 12 gauge pump? I did read that pump shot guns don't jam like the automatics tend to do. One video I seen recommended a particular kind of shot gun that folded up. You can fold it up and put it in your go bag. That appealed to me because then you're not lugging around a shot gun.

And riffle? Seems like my research is pointed to an AR-15 as one that is commonly recommended. Although I saw one video that talked about a 9mm combo: the glock 17 & the Kel-Tec Sub2000. That appealed to me because they both use the same magazines and you can fold the Kel-Tec up and put it in your bag. Plus it weighs less than an AR15.

Ok, I rambled enough. What are your thoughts about all of this?
You are on the right track. Assuming all these are legal where you live, you should stick to the very popular choices (as they have proven them selves already in many peoples experience).

1) Pistol - Glock 19 - good balance between concealability and shootability
2) Rifle - AR15 (a really safe choice would be a Colt 6920 as you won't find a bad one)
3) Shotgun - Remington 870 - probably a Police special one (with 20 inch barrel) and get a spare 28 inch barrel with screw in chokes
4) Rimfire rifle - Ruger 10/22 (maybe a take down one so you can conceal it in your pack)

None of these are budget guns, but they are all very well proven and will serve you well.

Between them, they cover pretty much everything a prepper may need.

Once you have them, take some shooting classes, join a gun club and practice (a lot).

If you get good enough, start shooting 3 gun match - it is great practice in practical/tactical shooting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,334 Times in 417 Posts

Beware incoming hate, consternation and the unmistakable sound of the gnashing of teeth for daring to post a question that could possibly have been discussed before....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vol 4 life For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 507 Posts

niick, please tell us a bit more about your situation
- are you in the city, suburbs, rural, or really rural?
- will you operate just in one of those situations, or perhaps rural and going into the city?
- who else in your immediate family might need to fire the weapon? their proficiency or limits?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,785 Times in 4,827 Posts

Get what you can afford, get ammo for, and practice with. All the this or that listing should have no bearing on what is comfortable and fun for you to shoot. You can argue blue in the face to the best of, or necessary of, every type of firearm created.

I would much rather face a person with an assorted recommended rifle with a low round count than a person who bought a pistol that now has a high round count.

Your question should be: What is the best defense for SHTF....and that answer is a Firearm you shoot well. Spend time on youtube, and sites researching your wants and needs. You will not go wrong with anything that puts holes in people, no matter how big that hole is or how fast the next hole can be made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 507 Posts

niick, more questions...
- do you plan to concealed carry?
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Bassmaster

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,260 Posts

Don't listen to anyone else. Look at the 9 MM and the 22 magnum. You can be smart by having a gun with great knockdown power or one with multiple uses like the 22 magnum. Don't fall for the Big heavy Canon guns which kick you silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimboman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,450 Times in 8,354 Posts

quite simply the best ones are the simplest ones, the least likely to malfunction and require very simple parts to repair and those would be straight blowback weapons in your pistol caliber of choice

handguns arent really necessary because i doubt youre going to give a **** about carry laws at that point, and while theyre nice, unless youre concealing one theyre not going to do anything a blowback carbine isnt going to do better with greater reliability and simplicity

shotguns have many purposes to them.. a lot of people go straight for the 12 gauge but really.. what can you kill with a 12 gauge you cant with a 20?.. is the 12 worth the extra weight, cost, and kick?

and lastly, you want something that you can feed with soft lead and homemade black powder simply because then you will NEVER be without ammo of some sort
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,140 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
quite simply the best ones are the simplest ones, the least likely to malfunction and require very simple parts to repair and those would be straight blowback weapons in your pistol caliber of choice

handguns arent really necessary because i doubt youre going to give a **** about carry laws at that point, and while theyre nice, unless youre concealing one theyre not going to do anything a blowback carbine isnt going to do better with greater reliability and simplicity

shotguns have many purposes to them.. a lot of people go straight for the 12 gauge but really.. what can you kill with a 12 gauge you cant with a 20?.. is the 12 worth the extra weight, cost, and kick?

and lastly, you want something that you can feed with soft lead and homemade black powder simply because then you will NEVER be without ammo of some sort
So range, hitting power, accuracy, ergonomics, quality of manufacture don't matter?

Hmmmmmm.....
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,186 Times in 2,403 Posts

What are the best guns for preppers?

It depends on how much training and experience a person has.

If you don't have training and experience, get some.

Jungle Work
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jungle Work For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Prepared

I don't think there is one right answer. There is only one right answer for you.

I will argue however that 22lr is not nearly as important or valuable as people here seem to think.

In a real SHTF, you will not be carrying around multiple long guns. You need 1 long gun that can meet all of your needs, and that could be a rifle, a shotgun, or even a pistol caliber carbine (depends on exactly where you are), but a 22lr will NOT meet your minimum defensive needs against human opposition.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BMassBMore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:41 PM

You are going to get many suggestions and comments. I would recommend going with a gun you feel the most comfortable with. Shop around, shoot as many as you can and make your decision. Warning guns are like lays chips, you can't own just one.
The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierarcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Remove Kebab

I would recommend avoiding anything with an unusual caliber/bullet type. Stick to something extremely common like 12ga and 5.56/.223. Also, consider your terrain. Will you be sticking to urban areas? Going rural? Mountains? Open plains?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Wow, didn't think I'd get that many responses so quickly.

Quote:
You are going to get many suggestions and comments. I would recommend going with a gun you feel the most comfortable with. Shop around, shoot as many as you can and make your decision.
Yeah, it does look like everybody is going to have a different opinion, which makes it more confusing. Would be nice if you could try some out before purchasing.

I live in a small town btw, to answer someone's question, but if shtf, who knows where you might end up. I don't want to conceal carry a gun on a regular basis, to answer another person's question, but I would want to be able to conceal my guns in a shtf situation if I needed to.

Quote:
Good question, that's something to think about that I haven't heard anybody mention. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry any more weight than necessary.

Quote:
you want something that you can feed with soft lead and homemade black powder simply because then you will NEVER be without ammo of some sort
How would you know which guns you can do this with?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Remove Kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by niick View Post
How would you know which guns you can do this with?
He is talking about black powder weapons. Personally, if it came to that I would be using a bow. Modern compound bows are very powerful and accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post: